DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

16 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Spring Stampede 94 is a must-watch, but I’d recommend Spring Stampede 99 as well. It’s fun as hell. 

WCW's last great show, WCW Spring Stampede 1999. I bought the VHS release and still have it to this day even without a VCR player.

• Like 2

I think I'm going to go with Flair / Funk I Quit from Clash of the Champs NY Knockout and Bret / Benoit from 10-4-99.  If we can squeeze in another, I will, probably a Shawn Michaels match.  I've shown him Bret / Austin, but maybe it's worth it to reconsider.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I finally cancelled Peacock and the WWE network. We still got it through the 8th. Going through my “must watch” matches before it goes. 

Lawful Jr. and I just watched Magnum / Tully from Starrcade 85. I don’t think there was a single wrestling move done. They busted each other open with punches. PUNCHES. Every time they got on the mic, the guttural way they said “NOOOOOO” stuck with me. The absurdly hard mic shots. Sticking their fingers in their opponent’s cuts. Baby Doll’s reactions. Tully’s arm wound. The stiffest inverted atomic drop I’ve ever seen. The finish. The look of absolute hatred and disgust in himself by Magnum. Holy shit. Full five stars.

Any other “must watch” I haven’t seen? 

I'm sure you've seen it by now, but Last Battle of Atlanta just for historical purposes

If I could only have one wrestling match to watch for the rest of my life it’d probably be the 1992 royal rumble so I’d nominate that to get in under the cancelled subscription wire if you haven’t shown him that already

Monsoon & Heenan at their height of being the Madden/Summeral of rasslin, and a good appetizer platter for that generation of wrestlers

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

If I could only have one wrestling match to watch for the rest of my life it’d probably be the 1992 royal rumble so I’d nominate that to get in under the cancelled subscription wire if you haven’t shown him that already

Monsoon & Heenan at their height of being the Madden/Summeral of rasslin, and a good appetizer platter for that generation of wrestlers

The 1992 Royal Rumble match turned 30 last month:

Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon are brilliant on commentary:

• Heenan's "Dammit!" when Ric Flair enters at #3.
  • "It's not fair to Flair!"
  • "I have to apologise, I won't be my usual objective self."
  • "I'll never be bad again, just let Ric Flair win."
  • "Weasel yourself out, Ric."
  • "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!" as Ric Flair becomes the new WWF Champion.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

How many PPVs did Vince commentate on in the 80s? Just the NYC portion of WM2? Who did Survivor Series '89? I know Gorilla Monsoon was ill around the time and Tony Schiavone did SummerSlam '89 and Royal Rumble '90 but not the Survivor Series in between.

Gorilla did do Survivor Series w/ Ventura. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The 1992 Royal Rumble match turned 30 last month:

Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon are brilliant on commentary:

• Heenan's "Dammit!" when Ric Flair enters at #3.
  • "It's not fair to Flair!"
  • "I have to apologise, I won't be my usual objective self."
  • "I'll never be bad again, just let Ric Flair win."
  • "Weasel yourself out, Ric."
  • "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!" as Ric Flair becomes the new WWF Champion.

Not only that, but in fact: "I never thought I'd say this, but weasel your way out, Ric!" Gorilla: "Weasel your way out?" "Do anything!"

• Like 1

I remember watching that one at a friend's house who ordered the PPV (Pretty much the only time I ever did this before my 20s) and it was so exciting that the winner was going to be World Champ because that belt didn't change hands all that often. I was secretly rooting for Flair and so bummed when he came out at 3, but didn't let on, then was excited when he won as everyone else was mad about Hulk getting knocked out and I pretended I was mad, too. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I am still convinced that they booked Hogan's elimination of Sid knowing that the fans would side with Sid over Hogan. There's no way you can do that spot at that point in time and not expect Hulk to get booed.

Ehhhhhhh… maybe? Did the Arsenio interview happen around this time? 

I just have this thought that they were thinking the jealous Hogan friend thing would get over no matter what. 

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

WCW VHS weren't nearly available like WWF were in the UK. WCW Halloween Havoc 1990 was one of the few with WCW The Great American Bash 1990 and WCW Capital Combat 1990.

Oddly enough, we also had GAB 1990 at our video store.  One of the very few I was able to see.   Halloween Havoc 90, GAB 90,  and then a few years later Starrcade 89 and Best of Starrcade.  I went to my grandma's once and walked to a video store and went apeshit when I saw Starrcade 90 and Super Brawl 91.    I bought Chi Town Rumble from a store in Erie Pa at a young age.  Also bought Halloween Havoc 89 when I saw it for sale. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ehhhhhhh… maybe? Did the Arsenio interview happen around this time? 

I just have this thought that they were thinking the jealous Hogan friend thing would get over no matter what. 

I think the show was in NYC, or Albany. Sid has always been super over in that area. Hell he even got a massive pop at a house show I went to where he faced Bret in a cage match in 97. Consider how close Buffalo is to Canada and I am still amazed Sid had the bigger pop at the show. 

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

This got me thinking, would Rumble 92 still be held in such high regard if it was the exact same match until the finish but Sid or Hogan won? 

If Sid won I think it would. It would have been Hogan's third Rumble win in a row so to me at least it wouldn't be held in as high regard.  I was 8 when this happened and I remember the day like it was yesterday. It was an afternoon ppv and my friend and I went bowling. He went home and I listened to the event scrambled.  Wanted anyone but Hulk to win. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

This got me thinking, would Rumble 92 still be held in such high regard if it was the exact same match until the finish but Sid or Hogan won? 

No the whole thing is designed as Flair showcase since he didn't get to do his long NWA title defense type matches in WWF. So if Sid or Hogan wins its a viewed as a good match with a bad finish

• Like 6

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

That would have been like The Greatest Royal Rumble, not the greatest Royal Rumble!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lawful Jr. and I watched Flair v Funk I Quit from the Clash of the Champions (which he loved), Bret v. Benoit Owen tribute match (which he really didn’t feel while recognizing the greatness of Bret) and RVD v. Jerry Lynn from Living Dangerously 99 (which is his new favorite match).

a good tour. Bye WWE network.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

If you ever feel guilty about cancelling WWE Network just think about the John Cena-Randy Orton iron man match and all your guilt will pass

I remember Cena and Orton getting love in these parts around '05 or '06 or whenever they had their big SummerSlam feud, but I could NOT be fucked into watching. I kinda feel the same way about both of those guys; it's always cool to see what they bring to the table, until you realize there's better reasons to watch wrestling and I think Cena/Orton is a match I've still never seen. 

Anyone here still like that feud? Seems like those two deserved to main event Wrestlemania together but they never even believed in them that much, did they?

Edited by Horatio

12 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Care also inexplicably had Bryan v. The Wyatts and Punk v. The Shield in handicap matches.

That's the one where they had Punk go over the Shield but told him to keep Roman strong and he argued back then let Roman pin me and they refused but restated that they needed to keep Roman strong. That company took so long to get Roman over the hump due to their own incompetency.

Cena/Orton should be any logic have had a long rivalry that was remembered fondly but WWE just ran it into the ground once it started, it seems like they burned through a bunch of big matches between them in the span of a few months or something and it became worn out and tired fast. This is a reason it's nice that AEW tends to build to one big match then the participants drift apart for a while with some exceptions like Jericho & Inner Circle/MJF& Pinnacle. WWE's obsession with having non-Wreslting people in the writers room (and Vince's desire to be more than wrestling) has lead to the company forgetting how to book compelling wrestling, which is it's own art form that needs to be primarily created by people with a deep understanding of it. WWE has slowly drifted away with the retirements of all of Vince's trusted wrestling minds, Patterson, Brisco, Garea, etc. I thnk Vince doesn't see the generations that came after the guys he rose with as being as capable as the ones he was built the company with.

• Like 4