DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/2/22

Just now, HarryArchieGus said:

Paige Vanzant looks like a star, has incredible presence, seems completely natural in the wrestling world and has tremendous charisma.  I'd never seen or heard of her prior to her AEW apperances, but IMO she's stood out in every segment she's been a part of.  The crowd reaction seems consistent with this suggestion.  I agree that she likely needs a capable carrier (Deeb) to have a competitive match, but it also seems perfectly fine to have her come in and murder Brandi quick leading to future said competitive match.  If that match goes long it'll need a sprinkling of the miracle lubrication of Anna-Jade.  Again, she may very well fail, it isn't an easy job, but I think it's worth being a little patient when somebody so clearly has such star potential.    

I know she was on Dancing With The Stars and did an SI swimsuit issue, so I understand the mainstream appeal aspect of it for sure. But for the most part I'm in the same boat with the wait and see approach. That said, I think everything that segment did could have been accomplished without the lame back and forth with Lambert. Brandi's been working Dark lately, why not just send her out there for a match like nothing is amiss, and have PVZ jump her on the ramp? It just did not play to the strengths of anyone involved IMO, and went on for fucking e t e r n i t y. Also: are we sure this isn't leading to say, a PVZ/JDS vs Cody/Brandi mixed tag or something?

• Like 3

(Tho, confusing with her ties to ATT) PVZ seems inevitably the babyface in a feud with Brandi. An attack from behind wouldn't support the dynamic they're going for.  As for the segment, Brandi and Lambert's greatest strength are for both their mic work, but I think I know where you're going there.  The segment certainly could have used some tweaks, but ultimately having Paige debut like this seems fine enough.  She's clearly not Rhonda Rousey as a media draw, so it seems she's better suited to climbing the ladder and building interest.  Heel Mrs. Rhodes is a good first rung (if it's fast and murderous) especially if Paige is indeed a babyface (could be wrong).  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I’m confused. I came in a little late on the Brandi segment. I heard her call Chicago, Cleveland and then she seemed to shit on them both. I thought she was cutting a heel promo, but then Lambert came out and he’s obviously a heel. So, I was confused as to what they segment was trying to accomplish. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Paige Vanzant looks like a star, has incredible presence, seems completely natural in the wrestling world and has tremendous charisma.  I'd never seen or heard of her prior to her AEW apperances, but IMO she's stood out in every segment she's been a part of.  The crowd reaction seems consistent with this suggestion.  I agree that she likely needs a capable carrier (Deeb) to have a competitive match, but it also seems perfectly fine to have her come in and murder Brandi quick leading to future said competitive match.  I'd also agree that if a Brandi match were to go long it'd need a sprinkling of the Anna-Jade miracle lubrication.  Again, she may very well fail, it isn't an easy job, but I think it's worth being a little patient when somebody so clearly has such star potential.    

PVZ is a star - on social media. You can argue she is as big a star on the women's side in MMA today. She is making mad money outside of the UFC. Her biggest detractors  say she is a way bigger star than her MMA skills are deserving. Me - she is playing the game really well, and broke free of the UFC monopoly. 

But PVZ is a tough cookie - she does not mind getting hit in the face. I think Deeb is a great choice to both help her and I hope train her. If PVZ really goes into wrestling, she can be a huge star and really help AEW go even more mainstream. Just not convinced of it yet. 

Edited by chriskbrown50
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Log said:

I’m confused. I came in a little late on the Brandi segment. I heard her call Chicago, Cleveland and then she seemed to shit on them both. I thought she was cutting a heel promo, but then Lambert came out and he’s obviously a heel. So, I was confused as to what they segment was trying to accomplish. 

Every single thing about that segment was ill-conceived and ill-executed. I tire of Lambert and don't care about MMA tie-ins.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I know she was on Dancing With The Stars and did an SI swimsuit issue, so I understand the mainstream appeal aspect of it for sure. But for the most part I'm in the same boat with the wait and see approach. That said, I think everything that segment did could have been accomplished without the lame back and forth with Lambert. Brandi's been working Dark lately, why not just send her out there for a match like nothing is amiss, and have PVZ jump her on the ramp? It just did not play to the strengths of anyone involved IMO, and went on for fucking e t e r n i t y. Also: are we sure this isn't leading to say, a PVZ/JDS vs Cody/Brandi mixed tag or something?

Pairing VanZant against Brandi was a huge mistake. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

RoH itself was a response to the void left by ECW, as well as the realization that a DVD-driven online distribution platform was more profitable than any other if you were an indie wrestling fed between 2002-2006.  I keep saying this - I don't think we really understand how those 15-20 years of WWE monopoly actually affected everything. It's gonna take some time and some really well-written books. But I think AEW is a culmination of the culture that grew during those years as a whole.

I'm writing the WCW book now, and then ECW, but then I'll get to WWE.

• Like 1

If Bryan Danielson is putting together a team of Catch Wrestling style fighters, they’re going to need a coach, a manager if you will. If only there was someone out there, a free agent who is a catch style wrestling legend, a friend and mentor to Danielson who could fill that role. They would probably have to be a real man’s man, though.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

If Bryan Danielson is putting together a team of Catch Wrestling style fighters, they’re going to need a coach, a manager if you will. If only there was someone out there, a free agent who is a catch style wrestling legend, a friend and mentor to Danielson who could fill that role. They would probably have to be a real man’s man, though.

The Miz is a free agent?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Someone with a regal presence, a true blue blood.  If only such a person was out there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Actually, if Mox turns him down, and they bring in Tim Thatcher for a Jeff Cobb run as Danielson’s hitman, that would be super cool.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I think this is a business thing. I think Tony does not put the belt on MJF until he's locked down after his current contract expires, and I think it's perfectly feasible that WWE offers him millions to jump ship. I absolutely would, not just because of the talent he possesses, but because he can work their style and because poaching him would be one of the biggest blows you could deal to AEW's morale. And if I've come to this conclusion on my own, I bet at least half my ass they thought of it before I did.

I think we've grown accustomed to a world where WWE is the place to be and can outspend everyone for talent. Outside of money (and I don't think that's a problem for AEW), for what possible reason would you leave? MJF is in a promotion that gets him, has positioned him as the future, and in a short period of time he's gone from a complete unknown to getting put over by CM Punk. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Eddie won his title against Lesnar at No Way Out. Eddie was on Smackdown. He feuded with Kurt Angle and JBL and was on the Smackdown PPVs. 

I don't t get it. 

He's mixing up Eddie and Benoit. Benoit tapped HHH at WM to win the WHC only to have his title reign play second fiddle to HHH's never ending feud with HBK and a feud with Eugene 

18 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I dig the House of Black like everybody else, but how do we all feel about that powerslam finisher? 

I like Brody King but live I've said he's not that big for a guy who works a hoss style. He's indie big.

Good opener, fun tag, great main event. Having someone lose in their hometown works when you don't beat it to death.

But the middle of the show was a slog, two lambert segments (why was him vs Brandi heel v. Heel), a bowling shoe ugly women's match and I guess after a state of the union, a debate, a parlay, a dinner debonair, a confrontation, a what have you we get a team meeting/ And was Jericho wearing a wig?

Some really good and some really bad. 

32 minutes ago, zendragon said:

He's mixing up Eddie and Benoit. Benoit tapped HHH at WM to win the WHC only to have his title reign play second fiddle to HHH's never ending feud with HBK and a feud with Eugene 

Ah, relliK (its Benoit spelled backwards). Makes sense. 

Edit:

Nooo, I fucked up my own joke. 

Second try:

Ah, tioneB (it's Killer spelled backwards). Makes sense. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Log said:

His trunks always have the four six-pointed stars like the Chicago flag.  They've had those same stars since his WWE days.  Has nothing to do with the Star of David.

Chicago-Flag-city-Illinois.jpg

That’s what they want you to think!

5 hours ago, Log said:

The 4D chess has spread from Cody to Brandi.  So whenever she does something nonsensical, just assume there’s a bigger plan we marks are just too dumb to get.

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I remember the main part of the Eugene thing was Triple H using Eugene as part of some grand masterplan to get the title back. HHH's big master plan? Have Eugene come to the ring with a chair. For someone who calls himself The Cerebral Assassin, his master plans are fairly simplistic. I guess he subscribes to the KISS theory of Keep It Simple Stupid.

• Haha 4