DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/2/22

I’m really glad for the change up from doing the big match at the start of the show.  AEW has a couple of formulas that they often follow.  So at this point it was a wise move to change it up.  

I’m somewhat bewildered by the response to the show and especially the main event.  Nothing on this show got to me.  I thought this might have been the worst episode they’ve done as it pertains to promos.  

Brandi looked super fucking hot tonight.  But man did some of her one-liners fall flatter than old gum on the pavement.  Lambert tried.  But I really wished he walked his suggested political line with a bit more grace.  You say “conservative” on the show and it likely to distract from the point of building whatever it is they are pushing towards.  I’m not saying don’t have a conservative character.  Perhaps just BE IT and present it rather than LABEL IT.  

I guess I’ll have to rewatch Punk/MJF.  I didn’t think the match really got going until the Pepsi Plunge.  I missed the impact that a lot of you highlighted with Punks selling.  I didn’t buy the tape/choking gimmick at all.  Though the camera trick with the passing of The Ring of Power from Wardlow to MJF was clever. Set up nicely with the big guys wavering loyalty assisting the sleight of hand.  

I’ll add the caveat that watching the show first thing in the morning isn’t always working for me.  At 47 years old 6:30am is blurry and sleepy.  Which thinking back wasn’t much different for me at 18.

Love ya AEW.  

Off to work.  Fuck!

• Like 2

A show full of highs and lows.

• Wheeler YUTA takes the Mox asswhoopin' meant for Brian Kendrick.  I liked Excalibur trying to sell YUTA's maturity as a wrestler since the last time he wrestled Mox and I also like YUTA living and dying by the shotgun dropkick.  Do what got you to the dance, Wheeler.  Mox won through brutality as well as veteran presence.  His mean-spirited grappling makes me smile.  Little things like mauling guys when they are on the mat just sells Mox as a technical savage.  Mox / Danielson shootfighter street dog army?  I'm in.
  • Brandi Rhodes is the worst.  Dan Lambert may be a jackass, but Brandi running down ATT fighters was really kicking the puppy.  The dig at Amanda Nunes was particularly low.  Zero levels of brown girl solidarity feeding a negative stereotype.  I am looking forward to Paige VanZant and Brandi killing each other in the ring.  If there is a clear winner, we all lose.
  • Rose vs. Soho was probably the best Nyla I've seen in the ring.  Hopefully the rubber match will be just as good if not better.  
  • Death Angle minus Rey Hypotenuse vs. HoB was also really good.  PAC is a beast and Malakai Black is what Ernesto Hoost would be if he were a pro wrestler.  Black's incorporation of more Dutch kickboxing into his arsenal just shows his evolution.  I have never been that big on Brody King, but here he works as the big guy in reserve.  I kinda hate KotBT's finisher, but Brody is huge and him killing people with an assisted powerslam is believable.
  • Punk / MJF was balls out.  I totally did not expect Punk to drop two falls in one match in his own hometown and that made the finish of this match totally great.  That and the tease of the emancipation of Wardlow in Cleaveland leading to MJF's win through cheating in Punk's backyard took me totally off guard.  The story of Punk outclassing MJF and forcing MJF to resort to desperation tactics was really good.  MJF really struggled to find opportunities to soften up an arm for the Salt of the Earth and that was a testament to Punk being badass.  MJF was in survival mode the entire match.  I applaud the booking of ref's decision to restart the match.  That just set the crowd up for an even bigger heartbreak when MJF cheated a second time and stole the win for good.  Chi-town crowd was stunned.  That is how you book a fucking match where the heel stands tall for the time being.  Huge win for MJF and frankly, one he desperately needed to cement his standing.  Only think missing was Excalibur not continuing the running joke of MJF only wrestling once a month to fulfil contractual obligations.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

I’m really glad for the change up from doing the big match at the start of the show.  AEW has a couple of formulas that they often follow.  So at this point it was a wise move to change it up.  

I’m somewhat bewildered by the response to the show and especially the main event.  Nothing on this show got to me.  I thought this might have been the worst episode they’ve done as it pertains to promos.  

Brandi looked super fucking hot tonight.  But man did some of her one-liners fall flatter than old gum on the pavement.  Lambert tried.  But I really wished he walked his suggested political line with a bit more grace.  You say “conservative” on the show and it likely to distract from the point of building whatever it is they are pushing towards.  I’m not saying don’t have a conservative character.  Perhaps just BE IT and present it rather than LABEL IT.  

I guess I’ll have to rewatch Punk/MJF.  I didn’t think the match really got going until the Pepsi Plunge.  I missed the impact that a lot of you highlighted with Punks selling.  I didn’t buy the tape/choking gimmick at all.  Though the camera trick with the passing of The Ring of Power from Wardlow to MJF was clever. Set up nicely with the big guys wavering loyalty assisting the sleight of hand.  

I’ll add the caveat that watching the show first thing in the morning isn’t always working for me.  At 47 years old 6:30am is blurry and sleepy.  Which thinking back wasn’t much different for me at 18.

Love ya AEW.  

Off to work.  Fuck!

I think it's fine to start the show with a big segment like what they did tonight, but I don't care for opening up Dynamite for your biggest segment either. You should be building to your main event and trying to sustain your audience rather than frontloading the show.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I think it's fine to start the show with a big segment like what they did tonight, but I don't care for opening up Dynamite for your biggest segment either. You should be building to your main event and trying to sustain your audience rather than frontloading the show.

I think that formula works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes I like the big match first to hook viewers in early and then allow someone up and coming a chance to work the main event.   Give the younger guys like Daniel Garcia or Dante Martin a chance to show what they can do in the upper card.

I don't think that works when you have Adam Page as your World Champion, though.  Page should be wrestling mains and setting himself up as the top dog.  Otherwise you're back to Eddie Gurrero winning the title from Brock Lesnar in the WM of a lifetime only to take a back seat to HHH grudge matches on RAW.   AEW should have Page working mains or co-mains to avoid the appearance of him being a placeholder.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So do I.  After a few big ones starting the show recently.  I really liked a different framework for this episode.  Even if this one was a bit more traditional wrestling and less reflected of the needs of television ratings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think that formula works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes I like the big match first to hook viewers in early and give someone up and coming a chance to work the main event.

I don't think that works when you have Adam Page as your World Champion, though.  Page should be wrestling mains and setting himself up as the top dog.  Otherwise you're back to Eddie Gurrero winning the title from Brock Lesnar in the WM of a lifetime only to take a back seat to HHH grudge matches on RAW.   AEW should have Page working mains or co-mains to avoid the appearance of him being a placeholder.

I think it was fine in the case of the ladder match because they just started the show with the ring announcements and wanted to dive right into an action packed gimmick contest. 

I'd much rather see Adam Page vs. MJF for the AEW World Championship at Revolution 2022 than Adam Page vs. Adam Cole there as Cole has never done anything for me. Then again, you can't have Page losing after beating Kenny Omega/Bryan Danielson and MJF beating Punk twice plus I want to see MJF/Punk II. Do we save that for when MJF is champ so we get Punk/Wardlow II at Revolution 2022 instead? It's cool how we can speculate on booking!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

Love ya AEW.  

Off to work.  Fuck!

As you know, the time difference between the USA and UK for WWE/AEW/UFC really sucks in the early hours of the morning ranging from 1am till 4am, 1am till 5am and 3am till 5:45am. For that reason you start to fade so sometimes you need to rewatch something back to get a less sleep deprived take. I think you'll like it at the second time of asking.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Otherwise you're back to Eddie Gurrero winning the title from Brock Lesnar in the WM of a lifetime only to take a back seat to HHH grudge matches on RAW.   

Eddie won his title against Lesnar at No Way Out. Eddie was on Smackdown. He feuded with Kurt Angle and JBL and was on the Smackdown PPVs. 

I don't t get it. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, killsteve said:

Skipped the Lambert and Brandi stuff and another Inner Circle town hall feels like a rib.

Main event was very good. Both guys are good at what they do, though the false finish was really well done, and it all worked. Didn't love the finish but I was expecting a screwy MJF win and it make sense in terms of progressing the Wardlow story, though it did feel like it came at the expense of a satisfying finish to this match (and maybe to the feud as a whole?). 

I didn't entirely see how the choking cheat played out for the false finish.  Was it Max choking him out with the rope and then applying the hold?  I thought the suggestion from commentary was that he was continuining to choke Punk under his arm, but that didn't seem to make sense.  The crowd bought it and the consensus seems to be that it was a good piece of business, so I'm guessing it worked better than I was seeing it at a side glance.  I really liked 95% of what I saw of this Main Event, and I'll accept that it was the right finish.  That said, the Wardlow involvement felt a wee bit predictably corny (I wasn't buying a turn or interference) and the simplicity of a ringed finger punch ending a near 40 minute bout with all that great effort felt very unsatisfying.  Tho, I suppose that's what your supposed to feel to encourage the speculated gimmicked rematch, so it seems to have worked.  For me it triggered a bit of WWEPTSD.  

I understand that Jericho babyface promos are not the worst thing on this show to everyone, but they are to me.  And I understand that Brandi Rhodes segments are the worst thing to pretty much everyone.  To me they are glorious carwrecks that I can't look away from.  Perplexing seeing a segment in 2022 featuring three men bullying and insulting a lone woman.  Interesting optics.  I don't quite understand how her husband or some of his buds, or her buds, didn't read that situation as - she could use some back-up.  Regardless of what she's saying Brandi is a good talker and I was locked in.  The Josh Alexander name-drop was unexpected, but also terrific.  Clearly most of this board was so displeased with this segment that there is little talk about the incredible Paige Vanzant debuting!  Not sure how a Paige-Brandi bout plays out successfully, but if it's Paige debuting with a squash there won't be anybody too upset. 

• Like 2

CM Punk's selling of the arm and leg on attack and defence was so well done. Ditto the false fuck finish with MJF illegally choking Punk out and the later finish wondering about Wardlow's intentions.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Side note I forgot last night: has Punk worn Star of David trunks like that before?

His trunks always have the four six-pointed stars like the Chicago flag.  They've had those same stars since his WWE days.  Has nothing to do with the Star of David.

Chicago-Flag-city-Illinois.jpg

• Like 5

This show was really 3 segments

1) The opening segment with Mox/Danielson. The Danielson promo was just awesome. I loved it, loved the idea and concept. I would love to know who came up with the entire scenario. It has some many opportunities and directions. Granted we have a bunch of big groups in AEW but this has  a different feel. And I liked that Wheeler got more shine. 

2) The tag match was really good. Brody King as a monster works well.  The entire match was strong. Way more left here. 

3) Punk losing to MJF in Chicago before a really hot crowd. Never ever did I think it would happen. But AEW is really letting their young pillars shine through. Punk worked an amazing match, and MJF was right there. The ending with Wardlow (not a beat down interfering which was the easy route) was really creative. AEW keeps giving on TV long matches with no multiple run-ins for free.  MJF as AEW champ in 2022 makes sense; and Punk made him even hotter last night.  

AEW has invested a solid 18 months plus in the young pillars, and now they are getting to shine.  Can't say that the "vets" are willing to lay down in the right time and place. Which is good for the company and pro wrestling. 

Soho and Nyla match was very good; and got Nyla over too. Very heel night actually if look at the matches (and that was not a bad thing). What does this mean for Nyla - time will tell. Man Vicky was really shrill last night. 

Rest of the show was not so great. PVZ has name value. and a ton of followers on Instagram. Heck, she has been the SI swimsuit addition. But still does nothing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Rest of the show was not so great. PVZ has name value. and a ton of followers on Instagram. Heck, she has been the SI swimsuit addition. But still does nothing.

Not sure the equation for PVZ that equals nothing is quite fair.  Might be worth giving her a little time.  I suspect those accomplishments, her natural charisma, and what she potentially could do might lead to nothing, but it might also lead to something very special.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

PVZ was over a bit earlier when ATT was messing with Jericho, and she sold at least 2 pink one-piece tracksuits to folks I know.

Pro wrestling if she commits to it might be her best career option.  I'm curious how it turns out- hopefully she murders Brandi.

I really felt for Brandi during that segment, to be honest. She gets shit on unfairly quite a bit, and I legitimately don't know that anyone else could have saved it either if they were in her shoes. *Maybe* Britt or Rosa. But honestly I don't see that Amanda Nunes line landing anywhere outside of an actual MMA event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Not sure the equation for PVZ that equals nothing is quite fair.  Might be worth giving her a little time.  I suspect those accomplishments, her natural charisma, and what she potentially could do might lead to nothing, but it might also lead to something very special.  

The easiest comparison for PVZ is Rousey. Rousey IMO has way more name recognition than PVZ. The question is this - Rousey first time around with WWE was really special; she really took to the entire thing with gusto, did the work and was more than credible in the ring for the most part. Every now and then her lack of experience would show up, but in general she was not just showing up. She was well protected for sure, but she showed respect for the wrestling business. 

With PVZ, I am not convinced she has the same passion at all for wrestling. She is there playing a part, and well she is with Brandi Rhodes. Versus say Nattie for Rhonda.  PVZ still sees her self in MMA - but she could have a career in pro wrestling too (a reverse Jake Hager). 

Note: Rhonda looked noticeably worse in the Rumble though

Edited by chriskbrown50
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

The easiest comparison for PVZ is Rousey. Rousey IMO has way more name recognition than PVZ. The question is this - Rousey first time around with WWE was really special; she really took to the entire thing with gusto, did the work and was more than credible in the ring for the most part. Every now and then her lack of experience would show up, but in general she was not just showing up. She was well protected for sure, but she showed respect for the wrestling business. 

With PVZ, I am not convinced she has the same passion at all for wrestling. She is there playing a part, and well she is with Brandi Rhodes. Versus say Nattie for Rhonda.  PVZ still sees her self in MMA - but she could have a career in pro wrestling too (a reverse Jake Hager). 

Note: Rhonda looked noticeably worse in the Rumble though

Paige Vanzant looks like a star, has incredible presence, seems completely natural in the wrestling world and has tremendous charisma.  I'd never seen or heard of her prior to her AEW apperances, but IMO she's stood out in every segment she's been a part of.  The crowd reaction seems consistent with this suggestion.  I agree that she likely needs a capable carrier (Deeb) to have a competitive match, but it also seems perfectly fine to have her come in and murder Brandi quick leading to future said competitive match.  I'd also agree that if a Brandi match were to go long it'd need a sprinkling of the Anna-Jade miracle lubrication.  Again, she may very well fail, it isn't an easy job, but I think it's worth being a little patient when somebody so clearly has such star potential.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1