DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/2/22

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I dig the House of Black like everybody else, but how do we all feel about that powerslam finisher? 

I have no problem with the powerslam finisher. Brody's a monster, so it looks effective. 

• Like 5

Take away the two Dan Lambert segments and that was some of the best TV wrestling I’ve ever seen. I was off the internet late afternoon and early evening preparing my house for a Texas power grid failure so I had no idea what was going to happen with the Moxley match, which ended up being a good surprise.

Add me to the list agreeing with Bryan on that faction, holy shit. 

Tag match was real good, PAC is so good, Black is so good, Penta was good again tonight, Brody was there (like literally, he barely did anything). I will say that one thing I like about Danhausen is it feels like taking the piss out of these corny ass “evil” gimmicks.

I liked the Soho-Nyla match, it told a story and had a lot of action. The battle on the apron and on the floor had me on the edge of my seat (and not just because I was worried about a bad botched move, which I’m still not sure if that’s what happened).

That main event is I think only the third time I’ve actually seen MJF wrestle (and one was the 6-man earlier in the feud). Like I had no idea what his finisher/back-up is, so I never quite knew what might end it. He’s a good wrestler. Punk is a great wrestler and that was masterful selling. I’m still not sure if he botched the poison Rama because that looked nasty. At first I was all “of course a Dusty finish” but then it went 10 more and still had shenanigans and the Wardlow tease. Fantastic booking between that and the Mox-Danielson angle.

Two final thoughts: Brandi is just awful.

We got a 5*, 35+ minute PPV main event for free. This is like the glory days of the Monday night wars,

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 7

I think it can be argued that AEW is the culmination of a cultural shift in wrestling that began with ROH. Which is fitting, considering a lot of those guys are here now. But that's probably a discussion for a different place.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If nothing else, tonight solidified that MJF really ought to be the next champ. A year ago, I thought it was Omega to Page to MJF, but Punk and Danielson muddied that. After tonight? Only guy beating Page for that belt should be MJF. I initially wanted to see it asap but I think it can wait until DoN or, likelier, All Out. 

I think this is a business thing. I think Tony does not put the belt on MJF until he's locked down after his current contract expires, and I think it's perfectly feasible that WWE offers him millions to jump ship. I absolutely would, not just because of the talent he possesses, but because he can work their style and because poaching him would be one of the biggest blows you could deal to AEW's morale. And if I've come to this conclusion on my own, I bet at least half my ass they thought of it before I did.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

I think it can be argued that AEW is the culmination of a cultural shift in wrestling that began with ROH. Which is fitting, considering a lot of those guys are here now. But that's probably a discussion for a different place.

RoH itself was a response to the void left by ECW, as well as the realization that a DVD-driven online distribution platform was more profitable than any other if you were an indie wrestling fed between 2002-2006.  I keep saying this - I don't think we really understand how those 15-20 years of WWE monopoly actually affected everything. It's gonna take some time and some really well-written books. But I think AEW is a culmination of the culture that grew during those years as a whole.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 9

When Punk/MJF was announced last week I thought MJF would find another way to weasel out of it to save the match for a PPV, and was glad to be proven wrong. I've heard a lot of talk about how MJF not wrestling that often is a cover for him being all bluff and no stuff, but this was some of the best crafty/chickenshit heel work I've seen in as long as I can remember. Both guys were selling their asses off and put together a fantastic piece of work.

Yuta has always been a good hand and even though it was obvious he was going to lose, he still looked good here. As much as I like Danhausen I don't want him as just another person in The Best Friends. Just let him be a chaotic neutral and have goofy interactions with different people.

Tag match was great, though I'd prefer a Pac/Black singles match (and prefer the two of them in singles in general).

Rose/Ruby was fine. That was one of the better matches I can recall Nyla having.

Hard to believe that in a two hour show there were only four matches and it didn't feel like any time was wasted. Unless you count those Brandy/Lambert segments. Woof.

Like that sign in the front row said, Just Enjoy Wrestling.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dog said:

There is a whole thread here devoted to AEW navel-gazing ? Please feel free to start that discussion there!

Edit: That's a big blind spot for me, the American indie scene from around 2005-2019, and I'd be interested in learning more about it. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I think this is a business thing. I think Tony does not put the belt on MJF until he's locked down after his current contract expires, and I think it's perfectly feasible that WWE offers him millions to jump ship. I absolutely would, not just because of the talent he possesses, but because he can work their style and because poaching him would be one of the biggest blows you could deal to AEW's morale. And if I've come to this conclusion on my own, I bet at least half my ass they thought of it before I did.

I don't disagree that WWE will make a play for MJF when his deal comes up, but I think it would be absolutely silly of AEW to ignore the value they can get out of MJF right now by worrying about opportunity cost 2 years from now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MOX/BRYAN HOBO ARMY ACTIVATE (it's finally going to happen!)

Also loved the commentary online that Kendrick's replacement was going to be Shane McMahon. I think the internet would have broken if Shane showed up.

And how about that speed-run record that was just set? Getting released by two companies in less then 24 hours? Who could beat that record? Someone mentioned Tessa Blanchard, but that would require her getting hired in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

I don't disagree that WWE will make a play for MJF when his deal comes up, but I think it would be absolutely silly of AEW to ignore the value they can get out of MJF right now by worrying about opportunity cost 2 years from now. 

aaaah I forgot about that extension he signed.

OK! You give him the Iron Shiek run! I was calling for Cody to be the guy to beat Page but I get impatient when his potential coathanger-on-a-stovetop heat refuses to congeal week-to-week. Yeah, give MJF his first reign for a month or two. Lose it at a PPV. Let him get his BIG REIGN after he re-signs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

MJF vs. CM Punk went 38 minutes, is that the second longest match in AEW history? The longest is the 60 minute draw between Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson at AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021.

If you don't count the time between the false finish and re-start in MJF/Punk, Mox/Omega at Full Gear 2019 (38:45) went slightly longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't see Mox trusting or needing Danielson just because buddy Kingston is on the shelf. Don't really see him being ready for a mentor role either...

I'm guessing he gives a weary thanks-but-no-thanks, which Danielson is ready for, and this leads to a beatdown by Danielson, Garcia, and even 2.0 (they don't care who thinks they're unworthy nerds, they probably get that all time). Cement Danielson's heel status by having him all huggy with Ever-Rise, it's bound to get the finger.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If you don't count the time between the false finish and re-start in MJF/Punk, Mox/Omega at Full Gear 2019 (38:45) went slightly longer.

Thank you. I forgot that Lights Out match between Jon Moxley and Kenny Omega at Full Gear 2019 even though I talked about it last week. D'oh!

Good show. Thought Moxley vs Yuta was good with some nice progression from Yuta, I am in favour of more of these continuity-lead matches. Bryan promo was good and interested to see where that goes. I would be down for a Team Bryan vs Team Moxley situation.

Skipped the Lambert and Brandi stuff and another Inner Circle town hall feels like a rib.

Main event was very good. Both guys are good at what they do, though the false finish was really well done, and it all worked. Didn't love the finish but I was expecting a screwy MJF win and it make sense in terms of progressing the Wardlow story, though it did feel like it came at the expense of a satisfying finish to this match (and maybe to the feud as a whole?). 

• Like 1