DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/2/22

So.... was Brandi out there intentionally trying to act like Stephanie McMahon? It's like Lambert is the bag of dicks but also Brandi was not really.... sympathetic there. 

Jesus, this Cody-verse things needs to be like Raw Underground, just not a part of the actual show even if it has to be. Also, was the Josh Alexander thing a parody of something Russo would have someone say? I'm so.... not into this....

What I was into!

Death two sides of a Triangle/House of Black was outstanding

Ruby and Lars, holy shit my heart.....

Main event was outstanding. I was totally buying it either way toward the end, either MJF's limbwork pays off where Punk is totally broken down or thought his cheating would backfire, really hoping this is the first stages of what everyone wants with Wardlow though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

That Brandi Rhodes/Dan Lambert segment may have been one of the worst segments I have ever seen.

Main event was spectacular by both guys in another Dynamite classic. I'm wondering if this leads to a Cage match or maybe a Dog Collar match at Revolution? Just give me my damn Wardlow turn already! 

I think it'll be a Steel Cage. I think AEW will want to keep Dog Collar to just the one with the late, great Mr. Brodie Lee vs. Cody in what was Lee's last ever match.

I think I'm more scared of Mox than I am of Suzuki...

House Of The Black Throne rock and their entrance and music rule.

Lambert and Brandi sure bum me out but I'll give them props for letting each other say the most hateful shit towards the other. 

• Like 2

The fact that we're getting main events like that on free TV... the fact that we got the Danielson/Page rematch and this within a month of each other, just because we have the means to watch TBS, that's crazy. These are crazy times. I didn't post on this board when WCW or ECW existed. This continues to feel like a grand payoff for twenty years of wandering through the monopoly. I don't know which deity Joey Styles' catchphrase was referring to, but He recognizes our patience and He loves us.

Oh my fuckin' somebody. Brandi. Why did you do this in Chicago?
Don't know if Danhausen knows what to do on TV. Make the Ass Boys feud happen on Youtube + Rampage, get Conan O'Brien to show up on Dynamite, figure it out from there. But I don't think Best Friends need another ringside goof.
PAC could be in every match, every week, I wouldn't get sick of him. He's like freshly ground black pepper, like Castlevania handheld games, like good dogs. I will never get sick of him.
Ruby's earhole fell out again. If her gauge becomes any more of a problem it's gonna rob a bank.
Every smoldering Jake Roberts promo like that feels like a gift.
Wish Danielson threatened stealing HOOK. But the Garcia thing is a no-brainer

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 10

I’m no fan of MJF in the ring but that was a hell of a main event. Punk busting out the Pepsi Plunge is awesome, and probably made MJF super happy too. Say what you will, and I’m a massive Punk mark, but I’ve enjoyed his run more than Danielson thus far. 

With that said, though - give me Mox and Danielson as the two man power trip with a stable of killers as henchmen. Fuck yeah, dude. I’d love that way more than a straight up feud between the two.

Also, Danhausen is gonna get over like Orange Cassidy did but this time we’ll actually have crowd reactions to gauge it by. Should be interesting.

• Like 2

Wheeler Yuta was a disappointing replacement. He’s the Best Friends job guy that was just squashed by him a couple of months ago. I would have much preferred a fresher matchup.

The Danielson promo was intriguing and an interesting approach.

I liked the tag match.

I don’t understand why Brandi Rhodes and Dan Lambert are having a contest to see who can be more detested. But I’ll be happy if Paige VanZant is going to do something significant in the ring.

I’m not sure what we did to anger Tony Khan that he felt the need to put Nyla Rose vs Ruby Soho out there but that was not a good match and it went on way too long.

The main event was really good but the referee restarting the match after he found evidence of cheating was a little weird and kind of stupid since AEW referees usually allow blatant cheating. And in fact did just that later in the match. But still overall really good match.

I think our boy @The Natural is gonna have to expand his "Best of AEW" list because there are now more than 20 matches where you can't really leave them off...

As it turns out, looking forward to a Spanky match in 2022 doesn't feel good at all. 

Mox vs Wheeler was great. Exactly what it needed to be. I love that commentary brought up the October Saturday Dynamite squash, and Wheeler's improvement since then.

Also: Danhausen in Best Friends! Does that make him part of CHAOS as well? ?

But that was all overshadowed by them taking the first big step in the Mox v Dragon storyline. Awesome. Don't know where they will go with this. Can't wait to see!

And even that was overshadowed by a classic, long grudge match main event built almost entirely around sublime body-part selling. Pro Wrestling Heaven.

There were a lot of nice individual moments on this show:

Paige VanZant could be a nice addition to the AEW women's division.And that's all I have got to say about that segment. 

That blindfold bit in the tag match was really well done.

Lars and Ruby! Sittin' in a tree. H-U-G-G-I-N-G!

Impressive strength spot from Soho, followed up by a nasty-looking spinebuster on the floor from Rose.

Tony not wanting to say "the s-word" and the rest of commentary straight no-selling JR's lame attempts at humour are both completely charming.

On the upside w/r/t JR, I totally popped for "Bull of the woods!"

"Doesn't know his flight for tomorrow is already cancelled"

Mercedes vs Thunder on Rampage!!

The MJF = Bullet Club false finish was AWESOME.

Pepsi Plunge!!

The Chicago crowd did not let me down. They made that great main event even better.

272632701_462974641985491_31838355585847

Yes, please!

Edited by Gordlow
"big" steps. Not bog steps
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Amazing main event. Definitely wouldn't have expected them to go 38 minutes but it absolutely delivered. Almost thought they'd finally do a "TV Time Remaining" draw but then they said they would stay with it as long as it takes (even though it's never gone over the time slot yet.) Pepsi Plunge was epic, as was Punk's poison rana. Great storytelling all the way through to the finish.

Paige VanZant vs. Badass Brandi Rhodes! 

• Like 7

That show rocked. 

Looking forward to a Mox/Dragon alliance.

Tag match was dope. I like Black and King as the "Knights of the Black Throne" (which is what their chyron said even though Justin called them "Kings"

Main event was outstanding. Both MJF and Punk brought the goods tonight.

Looking forward to Page/Archer next week...we're gonna get a gloriously violent slobberknocker for the AEW title.

• Like 5

Yeah I don’t see how anyone can say that about the two times MJF cheated. The first time he did it and “won”, he got caught after the match and it was restarted. The second time, Bryce was distracted, didn’t see it, and then MJF gave the ring back to Wardlow while Bryce was checking on Punk. He didn’t “allow” any cheating, he didn’t see it ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

I would love to hear unfiltered conversations between Cody and Brandi pitching and explaining each other ideas about what they gonna do next.

I would hate it, sure, but I would also love it.

Nice to meet someone else with big expectations for season two of Rhodes to the Top.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

one of these weeks, Tony K's gonna actually end the main event 25 minutes before the top of the hour and JR is gonna tell the viewing audience about standby matches

(which, logically, would be matches "intended" for Rampage that will be held "2 days early" on Dynamite. Just don't announce that in the arena since Rampage tapes before Dynamote)

• Like 1