DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/2/22

I'm all stoked that twos-day is on a Wednesday. What better way to celebrate 2/2/22 than with some wrestling!

I want AEW to run a special named (premium live) Dynamite called "Chi Town Heat." (Though this probably isn't the best week for that, weather-wise). I remember thinking that was the coolest possible name for a wrestling show, back in 1987. That might have been the peak year for my personal National Wrestling Alliance fandom as well.  Possibly the year I enjoyed pro wrestling the most purely as a fan (although there have been plenty of great years both before and since then). 

This is shaping up to be my peak year for AEW fandom, which is saying something. Though there are also potential future years with COVID restrictions lifted and the Forbidden Door flung wide open. 

So what does 2/2/22 have in store for us, AEW-wise?

FTW TITLE MATCH: “Absolute” Ricky Starks(c) vs. Jay Lethal

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that there will be some exciting fast-paced action in this one. I'm also interested to see who will come out and even the odds when Team Tazz plays the numbers game (if they go that route).

(AEW's website's Dynamite preview page has this match listed, but I think the Schiavone video says it's set for Rampage).

Jon Moxley vs. Brian Kendrick

It feels good to be genuinely excited to watch Spanky fight in 2022. I wonder of he'll bring something different out of Mox, or if he'll just get steamrolled by the guy who only drinks blood these days. Also: Maybe, just maybe, some Dragon involvement, too?

TBS TITLE TOURNAMENT REMATCH: Nyla Rose (w/ Vicki Guerrero) vs. "Destination Unknown Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby" Ruby Soho

There are so many great entrance themes in AEW and it really adds a lot to the shows, in my opinion. I really like a good David vs Goliath match, so I'm hoping these two bring out the best in each other. 

TAG TEAM GRUDGE MATCH: The House Of Black (Brody King & Malakai Black) vs. Death Triangle (PAC & PEZM)

If this isn't excellent, I'm gonna be disappointed. I'm hoping they build and build to PAC and Black facing off and then the two of them burn the damned housed down. 

A HOMECOMING FIGHT: CM Punk vs. MJF

It's not like I'm not looking forward to the wrestling here, but I am genuinely more looking forward to listening to the (presumably white hot) Chicago crowd than I am to watching this match. I hope that makes sense.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7

Any odds the Punk/MJF match DOESN'T happen so this drags on til March?  MJF coming out on crutches faking injury to get out of the match?  

Or does Punk lose in Chicago?  Wardlow turn?  Or do they do that in that ladder match where if Wardlow wins, he's "supposed to" give his shot to MJF?

I just have a funny feeling altogether about the match not happening or something

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Has anybody else on the AEW publicly denied the Holocaust like Kendrick has? Is this really gonna work out?

Man oh man! I was about to piggyback on the sentiment of how great Spanky was.  Sounds like his dumbfuckery is going 'viral', and I wonder if the Moxley match even ends up happening now.

I suppose this could be posted in other threads as well, but man, maybe ya think big corporations should have a person or two on staff that does the research to make sure potential hires haven't said easily-searchable, publicly-available, WILD shit on the internet?

• Like 2

The TWA. And Rudy Boy Gonzales was their trainer. 

And I only know about that because there was a HBK Retirement match there, where at the end SHOOTER SHULTZ~! ran in and fucked up the finish by "I AM THE TABLE". 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Like 2

I'm not a fan of people strategically dumping dirt on others at opportune times, and I am a fan of Kendrick as a worker, but it's hard for a company like AEW to not give in to the social pressure when the comments are that ignorant and harmful as anti-semetic tropes. It'd be different if Kendrick had apologised or changed his views since.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

*Serpentico

directly replacing Kendrick with a lizard person might be a little too on point

also, you'd think the "anti-AEW conspiracy" would have dropped this tomorrow so that it's "AEW features conspiracy man" instead of dropping it today and forcing AEW to use one of their guy that wasn't originally working Dynamite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm guessing CM Punk might not be entirely down with having Kendrick around either, so if both parts of our main event note "hey, this isn't good"... then guess what, nobody's going to die on a hill to keep Brian Kendrick on the card in 2022.

Congrats to Kendrick on his figure bookings as The Uncancelled Brian Kendrick for Alpha Male Pro Wrestling or whatever.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

In my mind I see MJF walking into Tony's office, raising his eyebrow, and Tony saying, "He's out." Max is very open and proud of his heritage and surely wouldn't be cool with a Holocaust denier. 

Or Dean Malenko or Matt Sydal or Colt Cabana or Marina Shafir or half of Jay Lethal when he's taken over by the ghost of Randy Savage.

• Like 3