DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

9 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Kings of Wrestling around 2009-2011 ROH were incredible with Hero also being in the best shape of his life.

Most definitely. And when I see people on Twitter say garbage like "Cesaro's not good on the stick," like they really know nothing about wrestling or this man's career. On this show, Claudio was going on about how Euro Disneyland was way better than Disneyland. It was hilarious. Hero's response, "I've never been to Euro Disneyland, but I'm sure it's quaint!"

Hero really could do it all and this period was definitely pinnacle of his career IMO. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hammerva said:

At this point it is diminishing returns.  As great as Cesaro is,  he will probably be no better in the pecking order than Miro.  

So he's going to be one of the best and most entertaining performers on the roster?  I'll agree with that.  I'm as excited for the aquisition of Claudio Castignoli as I was Danielson or Punk.  Seems I'm not alone.  

5 hours ago, eikerir said:

Kings of Wrestling around 2009-2011 ROH were incredible with Hero also being in the best shape of his life.

Not sure the likeliness, don't want to ask for anymore with Claudio already being a potential early Birthday/Christmas gift, but here's hoping Hero's readying himself for a '22 run. 

I'm not a supporter of the 'bloated roster' theory, but with the seemingly extraneous Cage extension and the names floating around still coming in - are we getting a 'massively announced' 'brand split'?   

• Like 2

As one of the newer AEW fans who is someone who turned off wrestling in the early 2000s (including Impact), I'm getting a little tired of some new NXT/WWE guy coming in every week, being sold as someone who I'm supposed to know, and immediately picking up on/recreating a storyline from their old federation.

The nice thing about Punk and Danielson is that they didn't try and do that, they came in as legends who were looking to be re-inspired and fighting the newer guys they've been hearing about/following. Even with Keith Lee, he came in to the Face of the Revolution and his first feuds look to be with Team Taz. He knows Starks, but that's it.

AEW has a lot of good young talent (and an eye for up-and-coming indie talent) without trying to show Vince and HHH all the guys they misused.

• Like 1

We have the early 2000s defection in common.  I only started back after the 'Revolution' began.  Tho, I had a side eye on a lot of these overly talented guys (see Claudio Castignoli) who were ripping up the Indies in the time since.  

It doesn't seem quite fair to compare somebody (yet to still make their name) like Keith Lee to 'legends' like Danielson and/or Punk.  I love seeing misused (and premier) former WWE talent get a shot to excel (see the likes of Miro or FTR for example), but there's little, if anything, to the idea that this is ego-driven to show Hunter/Vince.  I believe Tony's got a great eye for talent, and just a huge fan of these guys like a lot of us.  Further, Hunter's not gonna be besmirched by guys he recognized as fantastic talents (whom he pushed) getting a shot to showcase their abilities.  If anything it's gotta more of a quiet 'see, told ya so'.   

46 minutes ago, Log said:

No. No "brand splits" please.  That shit is dumb.  Just add an hour to Rampage.

The quotation marks around "brand split" is important.  The one you're commenting on was presented by dog-shit-titan-sports.  Even the term 'brand split' is really stupid.  I don't think it's actually happening, but I'd be willing to trust AEW in a situation where they split this big roster and say bought/rebuilt Ring of Honor, or created a new set of letters.  I don't think the 'massive announcement' is this, just having fun speculating.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus

We might be used to thinking how WWE operates. Aew doesn’t really do the whole “endless” season or no “off seasons” thing that WWE does. Signing new talent looks like overkill from a WWE perspective, however the great thing is AEW kind of rotates their talent. At least that’s how they did it for the first two years. Hopefully they return to that style of booking, especially with the recent amount of high profile signings.

The last few months they signed a boatload of talent, but hopefully that keeps things fresh and talent injury free for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

So he's going to be one of the best and most entertaining performers on the roster?  I'll agree with that.  I'm as excited for the aquisition of Claudio Castignoli as I was Danielson or Punk.  Seems I'm not alone.  

Not sure the likeliness, don't want to ask for anymore with Claudio already being a potential early Birthday/Christmas gift, but here's hoping Hero's readying himself for a '22 run. 

I'm not a supporter of the 'bloated roster' theory, but with the seemingly extraneous Cage extension and the names floating around still coming in - are we getting a 'massively announced' 'brand split'?   

Hero has been doing training seminars here in Pittsburgh. One in December and one last Sunday. He is still big but from what I saw/heard he can still go. I'd be shocked if they KOR don't return by Mania weekend.   In fact, isn't there a Jokers Wild Battle Royale this Wed on AEW??? 

• Like 1

I’m fine with a “brand split” as long as it’s an actual split and the two entities only come together maybe once or twice a year. I draw the line at drafts and champions jumping and shit like that. Owned by the same company, but treated as a true separate company, is the only real way.

I think NJPW and Strong are doing it the right way.

• Like 1

Next time somebody thinks to post about the "bloated" roster, I think they should pull up their roster page and scroll through and really think about all their talent. AEW has a LOT of young folks who are still gaining experience and have YEARS ahead of them, as well with a good handful of vets who are probably going to be calling it a day soon enough. There's definitely a good few folks that'd I say are in their absolute prime, but they're also very well featured on television. 

Really, the only people suffering from "proper TV time" are the women, but that's a different discussion. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Imagine if the original WWE brand split had been WCW and WWE as the two brands, instead of Raw and Smackdown.

We might still have Chris Kanyon and Sean O'Haire and Brian Adams and Mike Awesome, and we would all be stronger, braver, and better men. 

But, we might not have DDPY as we do today.

Actually, Bob Holly and Billy Gunn would have likely been traded to WCW and that part of the past would still be mind-numbingly not worth the remembering. I remember Vince originally wanting the second brand to be a place for guys like Billy Gunn and Test to get over in ways they couldn't on the main show. Kinda creepy actually.

All Out doing 205,000 buys is why I think it's unlikely we get a streaming app in the traditional sense. If they do it WWE network style and put all of their PPV events on it, it's going to lose money vs what they get from current PPV splits. Maybe they do a streaming app that doesn't contain their live PPVs. Their split of the $10m gross would be about $4m. Is a streaming app going to pull in the kind of numbers to replace that? To get to $4m they'd need 400,000 subscribers a month. Double the amount that buy the PPVs. Would be a very risky gamble.

12 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

All Out doing 205,000 buys is why I think it's unlikely we get a streaming app in the traditional sense. If they do it WWE network style and put all of their PPV events on it, it's going to lose money vs what they get from current PPV splits. Maybe they do a streaming app that doesn't contain their live PPVs. Their split of the $10m gross would be about $4m. Is a streaming app going to pull in the kind of numbers to replace that? To get to $4m they'd need 400,000 subscribers a month. Double the amount that buy the PPVs. Would be a very risky gamble.

On the one hand - I’m not very interested in an AEW streaming service because the only content they have are episodes of Dark, Dynamite and Rampage. It’s not like they have libraries for other companies, or years of documentaries, shows with wrestling personalities, etc. It would be an extremely bare bones service, which is why I think - if this is the actual announcement - it’d be best if they just added an AEW section to, say, HBO Max.

but on the other hand - there are matches from past shows that I’d like to go back and watch. But there is also sites like Bilibili or Dailymotion for that (or BR Live, really).

If it’s a standalone service, I think it’s way too early. If it’s an addition to an existing service, then yeah, maybe. Either way I don’t think PPVs will be included with the price, and those shows would be added like a month after they happen, or something like that.

But I don’t think an AEW streaming service is a game changer for the wrestling business.