DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

16 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Figures are number facts. Facts expressed in the form of math. Maybe that's an abstract semantics thing or something, but figures... as long as they are correct... are literally facts.

There's the key term that seems to be escaping you.  

This is a true statement. WWE made a boatload more from Peacock than they made on their own. But it's comparing pomegranates and palm trees. Tony Kahn is not a top level movie production company / network broadcast channel owner / billion dollar multimedia company owner. NBC Universal have an app that contains more than just wrestling. It has everything. So trying to use this as a point likened to Tony Kahn making a wrestling app that could pay similar fees for New Japan content is just bonkers.

You do understand that the price value for streaming rights of NJPW would not be anywhere near the price of WWE content, yeah?  

What's really bonkers is - you're basing an unwanted argument on speculative financial numbers you have no true reason to register as anything anywhere near factual.  I don't have those numbers either, but I'm not pretending I do.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Yeah, I don’t think this is something that’s going to happen either, but I don’t think it’s actually as crazy as you’re making it out to be @NoFistsJustFlips

Recent history has shown that having your own streaming service isn’t the golden ticket everyone thought it was 5 years ago. Not every entertainment company is built to sustain its own service. In fact, growing evidence suggests that most aren’t. (See NBC/Universal and CBS/Viacom discussing a merger of Peacock/Paramount, AT&T selling off WarnerMedia due to initial perception that HBO Max was a dud, the WWE Network failure, countless small streamers going belly up, etc.)

Just because you’re keeping 100% of the revenue doesn’t necessarily mean you’re profiting from the endeavor. Again, there’s ample evidence that the WWE Network lost millions for WWE between failing to meet its own subscriber expectations and the way it cannibalized other revenue streams like PPV, home video, etc. There’s a reason the Peacock cashout looked good to them.

Likewise, while New Japan would never, ever, ever give up their Japanese streaming rights, there is a dollar amount that Tony Khan could offer them for the English streaming rights and they would take it. What is that dollar amount? Could TK even afford to pay that amount? Would it even make sense for him to pay it? We cannot know the answer to those questions. But the amount exists.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

Am I not being clear with my side of the argument? I'll try and streamline it.

Sure New Japan could make way more money then their current situation if a top tier streaming platformed decided they wanted to purchase their content. A Peacock. A Netflix. Paramount Plus. Hulu. Amazon Prime.

The argument that I'm making is jumping from one wrestling platform to another, is still just going to do wrestling platform numbers. And the amount being paid for the rights to wrestling footage from a peer or equal (as would be the case of an AEW app purchasing the New Japan footage) would not be anywhere near the realm of what an all inclusive streaming app could pay.

Peacock can spend 2 billion to buy WWE content rights. FITE TV absolutely could not have paid WWE 2 billion.

The specific jumping off point was AEW, New Japan, & AAA partnering on an app and scrapping New Japan World altogether. Peers. Equals. Small time wrestling bubble. Not Netflix or Peacock or Hulu. So what I'm saying is there is no realm of realistic possibility Tony Kahn / AEW / AAA would be able to pay New Japan giant rights fees like WWE got for just a wrestling app.

So that's a whole lot of concessions they would have to give up on the rights to their footage to make about the same amount of money, at most.

That was the proposition posed. Not could the New Japan rights be valuable someday. That Tony Kahn could create an app that would get New Japan rights and cause them to decide to scrap their own streaming service, along with AAA & PWG. No it couldn't happen.

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

There's the key term that seems to be escaping you.  

You do understand that the price value for streaming rights of NJPW would not be anywhere near the price of WWE content, yeah?  

What's really bonkers is - you're basing an unwanted argument on speculative financial numbers you have no true reason to register as anything anywhere near factual.  I don't have those numbers either, but I'm not pretending I do.  

Your whole post is just dumb. You're disputing that New Japan currently gets 100% of the profits of New Japan World? That's pretty much all I speculated on.

That and if three companies joined a joint venture they would split the profits... three ways. Both of these "speculations" are highly probable and just common sense.

I’ll just throw this out there: In January 2021, NJPW World’s subscriber base was 116,000. That was also reported as being their highest ever subscriber number.

At $10 per sub. You can do the math on that if you want, but what it comes down to is that someone wouldn’t have to offer NJPW billions for them to make a lot more money selling their streaming rights to somebody else, rather than carrying on running World themselves, if they were so inclined.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I’ll just throw this out there: In January 2021, NJPW World’s subscriber base was 116,000. That was also reported as being their highest ever subscriber number.

At $10 per sub. You can do the math on that if you want, but what it comes down to is that someone wouldn’t have to offer NJPW billions for them to make a lot more money selling their streaming rights to somebody else, rather than carrying on running World themselves, if they were so inclined.

I've kind of beaten this into the ground so I'll chill after this one. But that's kind of my point. They can make $1mil on their own. So even if an AEW app brings in $3mil a year that they get an equal third of, that's a lot of extra hassle for no extra money. Or if we're switching gears and saying TK is just paying to license it per year and they get no profit stake, then TK would have to offer more than $1mil a year, right? So let's say they agree to $2mil a year to be part of the app. Then you have to pay AAA. Then you have to pay (albeit a smaller fee) to PWG or whatever indys proposed. We're getting up to content costing TK about $4-$5 million a year at least. Is this proposed app going to pull in that much revenue? Does AEW put their events on it thus losing all of their PPV revenue? That's a large chunk they lose converting $50 PPVs to monthly streaming.

It's all just too cost prohibitive to be a thing. My whole point.

And now I'm done, promise.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

The cost of maintaining a streaming service's infrastructure is pretty high.

And that's all I'll say about the subject.

19 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

So Impact posted a promo from Jay White and his Bullet Club crew, and dude said he's planning on building the best BC across NJPW, AEW, and Impact. I'm curious to see who from AEW joins up, barring The Elite...

And I heard that he's kicked GofD out of BC. Maybe to make room for another tag team? Bucks back to BC? Redragon?? Butcher and Blade??? FTR?!?!!

It's actually not easy to think of guys from AEW who are unaffiliated heels who might fit in to New Japan and suit the BC cheat to win style. 

I'd love to see Miro in the G1, but I don't think he needs Gedo interfering in his matches, for example. 

Dang, pro wrestling is exciting right now. Anything seems possible.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

And I heard that he's kicked GofD out of BC. Maybe to make room for another tag team? Bucks back to BC? Redragon?? Butcher and Blade??? FTR?!?!!

It's actually not easy to think of guys from AEW who are unaffiliated heels who might fit in to New Japan and suit the BC cheat to win style. 

I'd love to see Miro in the G1, but I don't think he needs Gedo interfering in his matches, for example. 

Dang, pro wrestling is exciting right now. Anything seems possible.

The Butcher & The Blade would be an interesting choice for Bullet Club. It would certainly be a step up from the AHFO. They'd also seemingly be a good fit for the House of Black. 

• Like 3

I'd like to see the Guerillas of Destiny follow Jay White to AEW. Maybe they bring little brother Hikuleo with them. 

Maybe Jay White brings the Good Brothers back to AEW with him. 

I'd be all for a four way feud involving Omega/Young Bucks, Cole/ReDRagon, Jay White/Good Brothers, and GoD/Hikuleo.

• Like 1

Maybe the Ass Boys are Bullet Club material; I am perfectly willing to dream...

I wouldn't mind seeing the Good Brothers in skits and such, but in ring, they should only come in to job.

Edited by Horatio

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Fightful reporting that AEW has signed

Hide contents

Shane Strickland 

It's kind of overkill at this point, but he's too good not to sign if he's interested. He definitely got screwed by WWE too, so it's good that he's getting another shot on national tv. He'll look good mixing it up with the AEW mainstays, and there might be an angle in there with him getting Acclaimed to the next level a la Christian with Jurassic Express.