DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm hoping the wheels are in motion on a VOD service that would combine with NJPW and end that miserable 'NJPW World' app.  Add in some AAA.  Maybe a dash of PWG and other indies (maybe as mentioned the entire High Spots catalog).  I won't suggest this is what Tony was on about during his weekly pod interview, but I hope it's in the cards.  

In what world is this feasible lol. Hey New Japan, give us your entire library all of your live PPVs and we shall give you 33% of the profits. Now maybe AEW does their own thing and strikes a deal to also have PWG shows on there. That's totally possible. But you will never get the biggest company in Japan, the biggest company in Mexico, and the 2nd biggest company in the US to do a joint venture and split the profits. Too much greed and pride and all that to ever make that happen. New Japan gets 100% of the profits now, never gonna scrap 100% to take 33%.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

In what world is this feasible lol. Hey New Japan, give us your entire library all of your live PPVs and we shall give you 33% of the profits. Now maybe AEW does their own thing and strikes a deal to also have PWG shows on there. That's totally possible. But you will never get the biggest company in Japan, the biggest company in Mexico, and the 2nd biggest company in the US to do a joint venture and split the profits. Too much greed and pride and all that to ever make that happen. New Japan gets 100% of the profits now, never gonna scrap 100% to take 33%.

I guess I could see a situation where he starts a streaming service and becomes the US provider of AAA (who I don't believe have any us distribution) and possibly NJPW. He has a working relationship with both and if he could convince them he'd get them more money than a standalone app 

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There's a trademark filed by AEW for somerthing entertainment-distirbution based called "Watch Your Wrestling". A few people have mentioned a VOD thing being planned, Tony Schiavone was recent-ishly quoted saying he believes a VOD service will exist "by the end of 2022".

There's a 0% chance they'll go in with another major company but I've heard the idea of buying indie tape libraries come up a lot, PWG being the obvious one. It's certainly economically feasible to buy the libraries of major indies of the last 20 years, I think the bigger issue would be dealing with the sheer amount of #SpeakingOut-ed wrestlers all over the shows + the number of homophobic/transphobic/sexist/racist comments either made while "goofing off" on commentary or to get cheap indie heat/pops. If you just threw the entire libraries of PWG, CZW, and IWA-MS to the masses, there's no saying somebody wouldn't put together a Joe Rogan-style compilation hitpiece on a bunch of your faves. Excalibur, Kevin Owens, CM Punk, Colt Cabana, Eddie Kingston, a lot of guys come to mind.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

A few people have mentioned a VOD thing being planned, Tony Schiavone was recent-ishly quoted saying he believes a VOD service will exist "by the end of 2020".

Tony Khan's great, but he's not faster than fucking light.

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This world.  The one where the biggest wrestling company in this world, WWE (who had their own streaming service but found a way to make more money), licenses their product to NBC/Peacock for a nominal fee.  Not exactly a stretch to think NJPW would license their product to a partner.  They, thus far, clearly lack the resources to make a 'user-friendly' streaming service work in the US.  Having a partner to reach a larger audience and generate more income is far from a crazy idea (your math is off).  Further, how is AAA distributed in the US now?  Seems to me buddying up with AEW or a potential US streaming partner willing to pay would be potentially profitable for them.  Obviously this kind of deal would be easier said than done, and I never suggested it was actually happening.  To suggest it couldn't is ridiculous.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Then call me ridiculous, because it couldn't exist.

Explain to me the economics or financial sense for New Japan here. They already have an app that makes them a profit. They keep all of that profit. New Japan World is able to be bought world wide. So they don't need a US streaming partner to split revenues with. What you said is you are hopefully New Japan scraps New Japan World entirely to latch onto whatever TK has in the works. So 100% profits in something they themselves own, or shut down their own proprietary app and "license" their footage to TK for at most 33% of the profits? Even if whatever TK creates sells 2.5 x better than New Japan World, NJPW taking a 1/3 split of profits with AEW & AAA would net them SIGNIFICANTLY less money than the current model they have.

So now just to get to their current break even point we're at a starting place of this new AEW app would need at least 300% of what New Japan's own app already sells. And that's not factoring in that they would no longer have the power or ownership of their content like they do now. They would be equal partners with two other promotions (in your scenario). What company is going to enter into a partnership like that? Unless you think TK would be willing to pay them so much money that he loses money on the venture? Just to get their rights? I think TK has proven to be a better businessman than that.

Nice idea from a fan's perspective. All the content in one nice tidy place. But never gonna happen. Look no further than current day Netflix. Streaming is splintering more and more because companies want to profit off of their content themselves.

AAA’s US distribution issues have been the result of an ongoing legal dispute (with the producers of Lucha Underground...I think?). Until that’s resolved, I don’t think they’re able to do much to help themselves in North America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

AAA’s US distribution issues have been the result of an ongoing legal dispute (with the producers of Lucha Underground...I think?). Until that’s resolved, I don’t think they’re able to do much to help themselves in North America.

Mexico is North America

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Explain to me the economics or financial sense for New Japan here. They already have an app that makes them a profit. They keep all of that profit. New Japan World is able to be bought world wide. So they don't need a US streaming partner to split revenues with.

I'm not so sure your numbers register as facts so much as figures.  I suggest checking out the WWE/NBC Universal deal for example how a company might benefit from stepping away from their own 24/7 service and liceninsing to a partner.  It may just blow your mind.  

To be clear I never suggested this is happening.  I am suggesting it could, one day, potentially happen.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Khan should just make an app that solely streams NJPW gifs. 

As if he didn't between booking Dynamite episodes in college.

Edited by Dog

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I’m not proud to report that I love everything about this. 

Jeff is 100% signed, Bucks are 100% putting over Re:Dragon and moving on to be put over (ageen) by the Hzrdy Bzyz or whatever their trademark-dodging AAA name is.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

I'm not so sure your numbers register as facts so much as figures.

Figures are number facts. Facts expressed in the form of math. Maybe that's an abstract semantics thing or something, but figures... as long as they are correct... are literally facts.

I suggest checking out the WWE/NBC Universal deal for example how a company might benefit from stepping away from their own 24/7 service and liceninsing to a partner.

This is a true statement. WWE made a boatload more from Peacock than they made on their own. But it's comparing pomegranates and palm trees. Tony Kahn is not a top level movie production company / network broadcast channel owner / billion dollar multimedia company owner. NBC Universal have an app that contains more than just wrestling. It has everything. So trying to use this as a point likened to Tony Kahn making a wrestling app that could pay similar fees for New Japan content is just bonkers.

To be clear I never suggested this is happening.  I am suggesting it could, one day, potentially happen.  

I am suggesting it could not ever happen. Could a content company like Netflix buy up the rights to shit like New Japan for crazy money? Sure. But the specific idea you pitch is not plausible. A Tony Kahn app partnering AEW, New Japan, AAA, and various indys. Impossible. And I will go on record as saying I will cut off a finger and eat it if it does happen lol.

21 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Jeff is 100% signed, Bucks are 100% putting over Re:Dragon and moving on to be put over by the Hzrdy Bzyz or whatever their trademark-dodging AAA name is.

Hardy Boys with an 's' was fine in TNA. Hardy is their shoot last name. And they are boys. Not much WWE legal can do to stop that lol.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Hardy Boys with an 's' was fine in TNA. Hardy is their shoot last name. And they are boys. Not much WWE legal can do to stop that lol.

I don’t think they have been Boys for a while, I’d take umbrage with that one.  

Hardy Men it is.

11 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I don’t think they have been Boys for a while, I’d take umbrage with that one.  

Hardy Men it is.

Well the "Heartbreak Kid" is almost old enough to collect social security, so the Hardys should still be able to call themselves boys by that logic.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Then call me ridiculous, because it couldn't exist.

Explain to me the economics or financial sense for New Japan here. They already have an app that makes them a profit. They keep all of that profit. New Japan World is able to be bought world wide. So they don't need a US streaming partner to split revenues with. What you said is you are hopefully New Japan scraps New Japan World entirely to latch onto whatever TK has in the works. So 100% profits in something they themselves own, or shut down their own proprietary app and "license" their footage to TK for at most 33% of the profits? Even if whatever TK creates sells 2.5 x better than New Japan World, NJPW taking a 1/3 split of profits with AEW & AAA would net them SIGNIFICANTLY less money than the current model they have.

So now just to get to their current break even point we're at a starting place of this new AEW app would need at least 300% of what New Japan's own app already sells. And that's not factoring in that they would no longer have the power or ownership of their content like they do now. They would be equal partners with two other promotions (in your scenario). What company is going to enter into a partnership like that? Unless you think TK would be willing to pay them so much money that he loses money on the venture? Just to get their rights? I think TK has proven to be a better businessman than that.

Nice idea from a fan's perspective. All the content in one nice tidy place. But never gonna happen. Look no further than current day Netflix. Streaming is splintering more and more because companies want to profit off of their content themselves.

I didn't have issues with NJPW world, though I think it was a bit too limited in devices.  The big issue with NJPW World was the lack of good searching due to language barriers.

• Like 1