DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

Well, if it's main eventing, the crowd will be burned out by then and we won't have to worry about an all timer being spoiled by flat reactions. I'm sure it'll be very good and Dave will give it 4.5 stars. It's about building Hangmin up and Cole's been protected very well other than the lights out match. 

Yeah I just really can’t get into Adam Cole. I won’t deny he’s really over, especially his entrance, but bell to bell I don’t see much that makes him stand out, from what I’ve seen it’s a lot of superkicks and Canadian Destroyers (kudos to whoever coined it the International Transition) that come off as so uninspired to me. He also doesn’t really have the look of a top guy to me, there’s nothing that comes off as imposing to me, compared to another guy I don’t care for like Jay White, who at least seems like more of a bad ass. I think heels like Jay and MJF really benefit by keeping kayfabe, Cole just seems like a relatable friendly millennial nerd who’s playing a character. The “dial your personality up to 11” adage doesn’t fit with him. Him vs. Page will probably be a good match, I remember really loving Cole vs. Ricochet and Cole vs. Riddle from NXT and am aware he can go, but with such a limited amount of PPV matches to go around, I’d really prefer someone else.

On that topic, I’d really like to see AEW go to 6 PPVs a year. I just think there’s too much talent that isn’t getting the opportunity to go hog wild (especially PAC, can we please let this guy do what Bryan Danielson gets to do on a near weekly basis?), and I also wouldn’t mind a guy I’m not crazy about getting the top billing  if I knew there were more spots to go around, and that I’d have better luck next time. The promotion is seemingly a logical extension of the golden age of the indies but it only gets to show that 4 times a year. All these guys became stars on the indies by getting to have longer matches on shows with no commercial breaks, no interference, and minimalist storytelling. I’m a bit tired of seeing them limited by their format. Darby/Sammy from Wednesday was the prime example of that, amazing match, shitty finish for the sake of building to the show that “counts”. I’m not saying they shouldn’t do these things, but the balance feels way off to me. Interference should be notable and unexpected, but it feels like the norm here. The only matches that don’t have some sort of chicanery are the squashes. Even when a guy does win something important, 9 times out of 10 they get 5 seconds of celebration before their next angle comes out to beat them down. I just wish things could breathe a little more. And then even when they do get to the PPV, pretty much every match will have some sort of interference that usually leads the heel getting his comeuppance, but it’s still interference nonetheless. It’s tiring to me. Again, Revolution last year, their “Wrestlemania” had interference/fuckery in EVERY SINGLE MATCH. They spent weeks building up the women’s contender in Mizunami, Shida beats her, then they have to send Nyla out to beat her up after her two seconds of celebration. Why can’t the story just be “look at how awesome Shida is, she just beat the best of the best” instead of going right to the next angle. Why couldn’t they wait 3 more days to do that bit?

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I’ve cooled down on AEW a lot in the past few months to where I’m now starting to skip certain episodes, and just really want to see more commercial free, interference free, quality matches with clean finishes. Sometimes the angle can just be “this person was the better wrestler tonight” without someone getting buried. NXT was really good at that with their PPVs in their heyday, and I don’t think AEW has hit that level of consistency yet.

Edited by A.M.B.

They really have leaned into a lot of dogshit finishes lately. Punk said it himself, losing is a the best learning opportunity in wrestling. So many good stories come from losing and learning, changing, evolving, etc. I get wanting to protect guys but there really isn't a need. I'm glad Rampage tonight had clean finishes from what I saw. 

• Like 3

"Nightmare blunt rotation" my friend said. Bucks look like they're knocking on your door to ask if you've accepted the lord as your saviour. Holy shit. 

Omega did an interview with Dave and Garrett, so I'm excited to see what he has to say about... the videogame! And injuries. 

• Like 4

Yeah, great interview though Dave can't help himself from making a 5 minute rambling point that isn't a question and Kenny tries his best to add on to it. 

Major takeaways going off the dome having fallen asleep about halfway and only sleeping for about 4 hours before waking up and finishing... Please correct me if I fuck any of these up:

• Talked about how at first it sounded like they were promised creative freedom and input on the booking but that was removed (likely after the infamous dark order December episode back in 2019). That hurt Cody more than it did the Bucks and Kenny. So there was probably a lot of issues there over the lack of input on vision and booking. Said it probably wasn't about money but that creative input. Omega basically said if you're miserable you should find something else, so clearly Cody was unhappy but Omega also said his connection with Rhodes was purely business and doesn't know Cody's inner thoughts and feelings. Said that Cody's vision from the beginning was different from his which was different from the Bucks' but he and the Bucks were pretty similar. Cody really pushed the war with WWE, whereas the others wanted to be an alternative. Meltzer rightly chimes in that it didn't matter why they wanted, with Vince it was always going to be a war. Yeah, said Cody is going to Arabia. Feeling I got from this was he too was surprised but largely confirmed that it was about losing power. Without that, then the big money from wwe makes it a more straight ahead decision. Said it was Cody's choice, as I've seen it framed by others it was Tony that more or less walked away from Cody. Vibe I got was he didn't seem particularly hurt about the departure lol. 
  • Spent probably the first 40 or so on injuries. Biggest one holding him back is hernia for which he is getting surgery and will likely take 6-8 weeks once that happens. Was hoping for February but obviously no longer realistic. Stem cell and new cutting edge stuff for his knee rather than surgery. Didn't really talk specifically about the shoulder, which to me seemed like the biggest concern coming out of that chiro bullshit interview. Talked at length about how his body had focused on certain strengths that led to an over reliance on some muscles to the detriment of others and right now is trying to build up those neglected muscles for more balance and better health and longevity. Hates rehab and treadmill/gym cardio. Hoping to come back more or less pain free but only a hope. Seemed pretty optimistic. 
  • When asked about people he'd like to work: Cole and White. Put over White in a big way specifically, talking about how he did such a great job of blending the heel stuff from America with the strong style of Japan while not relying on athleticism too much. Was unfairly thrust into a role too early but he's really come into it. So yeah, we will be getting a lot of bullet club drama over the next while when he returns, nothing surprising. 
  • Video game stuff: can't compete with WWE's production or graphics but want to have a game that casuals can really enjoy like the WCW/nWo aki games. They're planning on next presentation. Hope is for revolution but no promise. Trying to meet deadlines but it's a challenge. Not too much news here sadly. Did say lots of modes and match types. Talked about crossplay and creations, so it sounds like they will be going for lots of options out of the gate but for him the focus is gameplay, which is reassuring. 
  • Talked about enjoying agenting and how he'd like to do that even when he's done in ring. That seems different from his stance on the business he's talked about in the past. Seemed pretty unhappy with wrestling in other interviews. How he's not a fan anymore and basically made it sound like he was close to being done. Here he talked about the joy of putting together matches with people. 
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

36 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Talked about enjoying agenting and how he'd like to do that even when he's done in ring. That seems different from his stance on the business he's talked about in the past. Seemed pretty unhappy with wrestling in other interviews. How he's not a fan anymore and basically made it sound like he was close to being done. Here he talked about the joy of putting together matches with people. 

This is cool. Partially because it’s always a little sad, if exceptionally common, to hear someone utterly burnt out on a thing they were once passionate about, but also because I think Kenny would have a lot to contribute. 

Certainly he’s got some hammier tendencies and big-spot death-wish athleticism that either can’t or maybe shouldn’t be entirely passed on, but I think he also gets match layout in a way that should be. You can just watch his big matches and have a great time, but you’re also rewarded for watching the vlogs and that six-man in Beppu years ago when that guy did that thing. 

It’s not like he’s the first to approach things this way—he’s cited Marvel movies and 90s All Japan—but I think it’s a useful filter for the “cinematic universe” age of entertainment. 

• Like 3

I do recommend giving the interview a listen. It can be found on YouTube split over two videos. 

Another quote about how Cody was the most passionate about the revolution and us vs them mentality, so it was strange for him to just up and walk away.

Could tell going back to the njpw days during elite videos (not BTE) that they were basically friends of friends (bucks) but this is pretty tasty. Brother said "Codyverse". 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Talked about enjoying agenting and how he'd like to do that even when he's done in ring. That seems different from his stance on the business he's talked about in the past. Seemed pretty unhappy with wrestling in other interviews. How he's not a fan anymore and basically made it sound like he was close to being done. Here he talked about the joy of putting together matches with people. 

That’s what happens when you work with Christian and Danielson.

• Like 5

He also said that they had to cut some of his run-ins at Impact tapings because he looked like a 95 year old man according to D'Amore. Something as simple as making trips back and forth the ramp at tapings over and over again killed him. He was in brutal shape. 

• Sad 1

Has Omega ever been one of those people who stated an "end date" to their wrestling career (not that anyone has to stick with it)?

Like Meltzer brought up again in the WON how Cody has said a few times he doesn't want to be wrestling beyond 40.

And I know folks like Big E have made similar vague timelines for themselves (not to mention Danielson who keeps saying things like "I only have 2 or 3 years left")

The positives of having guys like CM Punk and Bryan Danielson now is that the show doesn't have to feel like it's weighted on Omega's shoulders. He should take as much time as he needs - and I'm talking even like a year if he feels he needs it. There's TONS of stuff he can do backstage in the meantime (womens division looking good).

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Has Omega ever been one of those people who stated an "end date" to their wrestling career (not that anyone has to stick with it)?

Like Meltzer brought up again in the WON how Cody has said a few times he doesn't want to be wrestling beyond 40.

And I know folks like Big E have made similar vague timelines for themselves (not to mention Danielson who keeps saying things like "I only have 2 or 3 years left")

A while ago, he responded this way to a fan question about how many years he has left:

He’s always also emphasized his frugality, outside interests, and desire not to wrestle with greatly diminished athleticism, all implying that he won’t be working to 50, but who knows.

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 4

The Omega interview was quite good. 

I think one of the biggest changes I've seen in wrestling during my life is a fan is that there is much more of an attitude of having an exit strategy so you're not still out there wrestling at 60 or whatever. Whenever you hear old school guys talk about their career, it feels like for most of them this was never even a consideration, and it was very much to their detriment (and more often than not the detriment of the product).

• Like 6

You can't really put an end date on a wrestling career. Sting's career ended six years ago. And now he's still wrestling at 62. Mostly tag matches, but still. Guys say they are gonna stop wrestling at 40 or what have you, but CM Punk got back into the ring at 42. Bryan Danielson is 40.

And then look at Edge and Christian returning to the ring in their late 40s after debilitating injuries.

If it's a matter of booking, I'm not sure what Cody is upset about. Even after Tony Khan apparently took full creative control, it looked like Cody was still made a central figure on the show and was pretty much allowed to do and say whatever he wanted. It looked like he had wide thrift to me.

The TNT title open challenge was basically Cody being treated as AEW's John Cena for a chunk of 2020.

Also, he focus group tested the Ogogo "history lesson" promo! 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Jiji said:

Said it probably wasn't about money but that creative input. Omega basically said if you're miserable you should find something else, so clearly Cody was unhappy but Omega also said his connection with Rhodes was purely business and doesn't know Cody's inner thoughts and feelings.

Hell yeah. I'm old enough to remember when people were dismissed as rumour-mongers for acknowledging the obvious. Happy we're inching closer to "speak freely" o'clock. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

Because of the blended reality nature of professional wrestling I think there’s a desire by fans to want a narrative conclusion to wrestlers’ careers, and that’s not typically how a human life works.  We’re  all living in second acts and won’t make it to the thrilling finale. And I know there’s an emotional connection to these people that can’t be ignored, but fans act like wrestlers having to keep working into their later years is the worst thing in the world when millions of people in middle and old age are hooked on pills so they can keep selling their physical labor in Amazon warehouses.

It also might be a uniquely American way of looking at it, since there seem to be a bunch of active luchadores who have great road stories about making towns with Methuselah. 

• Like 4

On 2/18/2022 at 2:35 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

There's also the "fuck it let's buy Highspots" VOD plan that some trademark filings have hinted at.

I'm hoping the wheels are in motion on a VOD service that would combine with NJPW and end that miserable 'NJPW World' app.  Add in some AAA.  Maybe a dash of PWG and other indies (maybe as mentioned the entire High Spots catalog).  I won't suggest this is what Tony was on about during his weekly pod interview, but I hope it's in the cards.  

• Like 1