DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

6 hours ago, AxB said:

If they’re going to sign Wrestlers under the age of 18, they should probably get Billie Starkz under a deal ASAP too. 

Yes please. We already have a few BBB affiliated guys and gals, might as well get the crown jewel baybeeeee.

• Like 2

I wonder what the plan for Nick Wayne is to start. I know what I’d do. At Revolution, book him in a debut hot trios match opener for the Buy-In. Team Taz(Starks, Hobbs, & Hook) Vs. Martin, Moriarty, & Nick Wayne. Or, they could put him in the ladder match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fuck, that's an injury everyone dreads. Get well soon, Megan Bayne

NOOOOOOOOOOO. I wanted her to start doing stuff on the main roster stat. I can't believe that someone with her presentation and ability wasn't already in WWE in on the main AEW shows.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

NOOOOOOOOOOO. I wanted her to start doing stuff on the main roster stat. I can't believe that someone with her presentation and ability wasn't already in WWE in on the main AEW shows.

In full agreement, my friend. This sucks.

• Like 1

I could see them go either way on the Hobbs/Martin qualifying match, but the thought of Martin facing Keith Lee in that ladder match is giving me palpitations.

On an unrelated note, who's saying "We've only just begun" in the ads they're running? It sounds eerily like HBK.

• Like 1

Watching the Thanksgiving Dynamite and while there are plenty of amazing things to see here, it cannot be stated enough that damn I wish there was another way aside from constant needling of one's backside to age as frigging gracefully as Billy Gunn. He looks way better here than in any of his WWE comebacks since 2014. Also, the wonderful leathery tone of his skin is a work of art!

Also, after the tag match in question, Sting walked to the ramp and Austin charged at him like a bullet, then Darby intercepted him like a missile out of nowhere, leaving Austin knocked the F out! The way he just kept lying down lifeless while Sting and Allin continued towards the ring was simply amazing!

Edited by Shartnado
Austin KO Supreme
  • Like 4

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unlocked this topic

One thing about the way AEW is booked right now is that Cody and Brandi can both pretty much disappear from TV right now and not disrupt any significant storylines. ATT has already moved on to Sammy, Brandi vs. Van Zant was going to be an asswhipping anyway and came out of nowhere so maybe they can actually find an over face to feud with.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I almost regret following American TV wrestling closely again.  After almost twenty years following Japan, Mexico and the US indies I thought I would fight the pandemic blues by watching a big televised wrestling promotion again.  

WWE just hurts my eyes and assaults my ears.  It also lacks anything approaching a soul.  

AEW isn’t perfect but in the summer of 2020 it scratched a wrestling itch for something current. 

The fans on other forums are just as annoying as the wrestling war fans twentysomething years ago.  It isn’t even where the promotions are based.  The whole starfucking mainstream aspirational seekers just suck all the details and nuance out of the room.  

Everything always boils down to that.  Every thread that doesn’t start with it gets quickly overrun with it.  I really should only read threads here and PWO…again.  

Following ROH had the very same us vs them mentality.  If it isn’t between fans of different promotions it’s the “wrestling” fans vs these anti-smart fan dweebs.  They are like people who follow conspiracy theories like they are informative or at least the only information these people get.  The anti-smart is fucking paranoid like a Joe Rogan guest.  The journalists are the enemy.  Too many quote the worst things Cornette says.  They should maybe quote some historical info he can still ramble semi-intelligently about.

Sorry for the rant but the last day or so I am tempted to just ignore everything on TV and revisit the lucha and puro I have forgotten about in my collection.

I guess I should do that soon before we have no more DVD drives left in the house.  I don’t think the current scenes in Mexico and Japan are that interesting during the pandemic.  That is partly why AEW was fun for me.  These are their best days.

It takes less concentration to watch televised American wrestling.  I normally don’t mind the different language commentary on lucha and puro.  My mind can drift if something onscreen isn’t holding my attention.  There is no Taz and Excalibur to fill in the gaps.  

Michinoku Pro announcers must be doing the same thing during the endless Yone Genjin or Tsubo Genjin vs Jinsei Shinzaki or Wellington Wilkins Jr series.  It wasn’t a four way feud or even a tag team feud.  It was like three different rivalries that at one time could eat up fifteen minutes every tape.  Shinzaki’s reputation would likely be much better overall if he didn’t fight the Genjin so many times.

Oops, I guess I just kept on talk in’.  Sorry about that.

• Like 1

I think it's a lot of the younger crowd that's the most vocal, just really trying to recreate the late '90s because they weren't born yet for it. Take that and add it with the fact that nuanced discourse has been dead and buried in general over the last decade, especially online, and I think that's the recipe for what you're describing @Ryan Faulconer

• Like 1

I think it's because old-timey message boards exist to generate discussion and the new mediums for discussing *anything* are designed to reduce posters to approval/dopamine-seeking content engines who can't get banned.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I am tempted to just ignore everything on TV and revisit the lucha and puro I have forgotten about in my collection.

Do it. Hell, take a week or two off from watching wrestling entirely.

I think one of the reasons I still love pro wrestling after all of these years is that I take breaks every now and again. I take breaks from watching current wrestling. I take breaks from watching any wrestling at all. I take breaks from reading and posting about wrestling. 

Same reason, I think, that I still love going to the gym in my mid-50s, 40 years after I started training. I'm never afraid to take a week off if I feel burned out. 

Sure, you'll miss out on some good matches or and/or some good discussion... but there will always be more. It's an endless fountain.

My take is that a hobby should never feel like a chore. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JLowe said:

One thing about the way AEW is booked right now is that Cody and Brandi can both pretty much disappear from TV right now and not disrupt any significant storylines. ATT has already moved on to Sammy, Brandi vs. Van Zant was going to be an asswhipping anyway and came out of nowhere so maybe they can actually find an over face to feud with.

Put Van Zant in there with Red Velvet to start. Give her some submission move sets. Slow build her vs Jade towards end of year. Let Brit own the other belt and have parallel program. That’s the money angle. 

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

A point about Cody, but it's actually about Tony. Maybe he could have caved and given Cody the money he wanted, or gone to Warner asking for help, but he didn't. Despite his propensity for twitterbombs, I think that's fairly mature. ESPECIALLY since it's Cody. He showed that even if you're an EVP, even if you're woven into the fabric of Turner broadcasting, even if the "perception" of you leaving might be bad -- no one's gonna hold the company over a barrel.

Maybe when other people's contracts come up, they won't be as quick as they might have been to call Tony's bluff.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

@Ryan Faulconer Gordlow's suggestion of taking a break is a good idea. I got back into wrestling at the time of the Greatest Wrestler Ever poll over on PWO in 2015, watched intensely till 2017 then have been taking breaks ever since. 

A chunk of AEW here, a dollop of Mid-South there and a load of things on the side of my rasslin plate keep me happy, that way I don't feel like I'm ploughing through Dynamite or Smackdown with gritted teeth.