DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

13 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Just finished Full Gear 2021 and even watching it over 3 days, I'm still spent. Wow, that was so good. Everything was so good, but there's no way you can watch this from start to finish and not have your brain melt in the process. But this way, you can't beat this level of product!

It's why I watch them at stupid o clock in the morning. Glad you enjoyed Full Gear 2021, my friend. It's in my top three AEW PPVs with Full Gear 2020 #2 and All Out by far my #1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Full Gear wasn’t the PPV that shut down my brain, that was definitely All Out. From that insane cage match to, to the main event and everything after it, and especially Punk/Darby… Jesus, man.

If I’m being completely honest, I only remember Omega/Hangman and Punk/Kingston from Full Gear. I think that’s the show with SuperKliq vs JE & Christian too. Everything else is a blur.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

It's why I watch them at stupid o clock in the morning. Glad you enjoyed Full Gear 2021, my friend. It's in my top three AEW PPVs with Full Gear 2020 #2 and All Out by far my #1.

Thanks! Looking forward to Revolution, but I may get to All Out 2021 before that one, yet! Not this week, though! There's still Dynamite and Rampage to go!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Full Gear wasn’t the PPV that shut down my brain, that was definitely All Out. From that insane cage match to, to the main event and everything after it, and especially Punk/Darby… Jesus, man.

If I’m being completely honest, I only remember Omega/Hangman and Punk/Kingston from Full Gear. I think that’s the show with SuperKliq vs JE & Christian too. Everything else is a blur.

My only criticism of All Out was the main event, I thought Omega/Christian was a letdown. The Omega/Christian match on the first ever Rampage was much better. I turned the air blue when the lights went out at All Out 2021 and Adam Cole showed thinking it was Bryan Danielson. Thankfully Danielson came out.

Yeah, Christian/Jurassic Express vs. SuperKliq was from Full Gear 2021. I also remember it as one of the very few disappointing Bryan Danielson matches vs. Miro. Granted Miro was hurt and hasn't wrestled since. It was going to be Danielson/Moxley but Mox rightly pulled out to go into rehab.

Regarding Keith Lee, I think he's incredibly cringey on social media. I can't recall someone who vague tweets as much as he does. In the ring though, I think he has a ton of charisma and is as perfect of a babyface as Hangman. My only concern with Lee is that he wasted a lot of time in WWE, is older now, and I don't see how he's going to be able to do the same shit he did when he was younger without constantly being injured. Dude may want to watch a shitload of Samoa Joe matches and change up his style a tad.

Plus, if Joe never returns to the ring, we need someone to pick up doing Joe's "nope" walk away spot when someone tries to dive on him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dirty J. said:

Man, what a lot of Killer Kross hate.  Honestly prefer him over Gargano, Osprey or Swerve. He could be a decent signing. Decent in the ring, looks menacing. Not a ppv headliner, but a nice challenger for an aew champ on TV. Dont have him aligned with House of Black.

Fir me Ospreay > Swerve > nothing  >  Gargano > more Brandi Rhodes airtime > Kross.

Keith Lee is someone I won't object to, but I think he'd be best on a short term deal as a monster of the month for Hangman.\

The guys who would excite me

Johnny Elite and Taya coming in and reforming the Worldwide Underground.

Jay White

Zack Sabre Jr.  (apparently he's a free agent right now, though no reason to believe he won't re-sign with NJPW)

Bandido

Ali (no way that happens, and it would be bad business,  but it would excite me)

Edited by alstein

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

The three matches you remember are the ones I'll likely show my friend whenever it is I get to see him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

My only criticism of All Out was the main event, I thought Omega/Christian was a letdown. The Omega/Christian match on the first ever Rampage was much better. I turned the air blue when the lights went out at All Out 2021 and Adam Cole showed thinking it was Bryan Danielson. Thankfully Danielson came out.

Yeah, Christian/Jurassic Express vs. SuperKliq was from Full Gear 2021. I also remember it as one of the very few disappointing Bryan Danielson matches vs. Miro. Granted Miro was hurt and hasn't wrestled since. It was going to be Danielson/Moxley but Mox rightly pulled out to go into rehab.

12 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

The three matches you remember are the ones I'll likely show my friend whenever it is I get to see him.

Fuck, we all forgot to mention MJF vs. Darby Allin! That exceeded expectations. My top three matches from Full Gear 2021:

3. Kenny Omega vs. Adam Page.

2. MJF vs. Darby Allin.

1. CM Punk vs. Eddie Kingston.

Honestly, I can’t blame Brandi at all for the rating last week. I know her segment dropped but I can’t imagine anyone being able to turn away from how off the rails that was going when the fans started to get behind Lambert. Part of the joy of live wrestling is the chance something will absolutely blow up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The only two I even know of the most common names (not the moonshots) being bandied about are Keith Lee and Johnny Gargano. I know Keith Lee because he wrestled Texas indies and some of my friends would post about him. I saw Gargano on NXT once or twice I think. Lee would be interesting to me. Gargano would feel like yet another one of those somewhat generic NXT guys. It is interesting to me that there is a wide range of opinions about the rankings of the most common options.

Seeing Lee and Gargano mentioned together reminds me that they COULD go down the black and gold invasion route that’s been discussed, especially with a rare on-screen TK segment potentially happening tonight to jump start it. With Hangman going over tonight and needing a challenger and with Punk/MJF presumably done, there really is no A storyline at the moment so the time is right to kickstart something like that, with Hangman/Cole and Sammy/Lee or some such at Revolution.

Do I want to see it? Not really, I don’t think. But they have the talent capital now with those two + Cole/Fish/O’Reilly/Shafir and easy enough access to Kross/Moon/Scarlett to do it should they desire.

So the consensus right now is that "Forbidden Door" just means any free agent, basically.

Of the choices that could potentially have meaning, however, what would stand out the most for me would be someone released from WWE but still under their no-compete, on the idea that Khan was going to throw his lawyers at the dubious legality of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alstein said:

Ospreay gives you trainwreck promos and great matches all in one.

AEW Ospreay would probably have to go back to his old theme though, which sucks because I loved Ospreay's new one more.

If it's Ospreay, his old theme is perfect. Because he can be on Dark ELEVATION for his whole stint. 

My problem with Osprey has less to do with his in-ring style or the Speaking Out stuff and more that he's a cringey dork-ass loser with zero self awareness and every time he types something on the internet I want to jump out of a window. 

• Like 2