DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

His contract was up, wasn't it? I think I sawr as much on twitter. Can't be wrong. Is Jay tied down to NJPW long-term?

Juice was My Guy back in 2017/18. Incredible, sincere babyface fire in both his in-ring work and promos. That's incredibly hard to find in modern pro wrestling. One of the best sellers in wrestling too. Seems like he kinda hit the glass ceiling in NJPW after I stopped watching, or am I wrong?

NJPW sacrificed Juice on the altar of Mox.  If Juice is coming in, I'd actually consider having him go after Mox and Eddie and being heel for a bit.  Maybe even align with Jericho.

Is Taichi injury plagued right now?  I thought he held up pretty well, all those years of stalling and stooging probably helped his longevity.

I thought Trevor Murdoch would be a great surprise! Put him on Rampage to attack JD Drake for no reason at all would make the undercard must-see. I might even put on an episode of Dark to see those two tangling like it's 1987. 

El Hijo del Vikingo is another one I thought of. Make him the conscience of the babyface division -- friend to all except those who turn a blind eye to the Ass Boys.

Pairing up Juice Robinson with Chris Jericho is a great idea and makes a ton of sense. The aging rocker and the young hippie need to cycle up to keep things moving. Plus, Juice is with Impact still, ennit? That would explain the Forbidden Door thing. Plus, there's Toni Storm...

Other idea is The Briscoes! Or The Finlays! Have Brogan announce that he's All Elite AND he's staying with ACTION~ HELL YEAH

Edited by Horatio
Had to add a hyphen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

Trevor Murdoch is the current NWA World's Heavyweight Champion. I've seen his name come up a few times. I certainly don't expect him to come in, but if he did, he's not feuding with JD Drake on Dark. 

He is if it's personal this time

I love seeing the kind of Jay White support that leads to suggesting he'd be in competition with MJF and make him look 'mid'.  White's clearly got the goods.  To be a fan with that kind of argument you'd have to really look passed nearly every NJPW match he's wrestled being full of lame Gedo interference.  His in ring work is high quality, but the result of his corny-carny-booked matches feels often disappointing.  Jay's promos also should be considered.  I've enjoyed his  NJPW mic work fine enough, but the little I've seen of his US run suggests he's in need of making some serious adjustments.  His mic work thus far in the US is not proving to be his strength.  MJF, tho at times a heel cliche on the mic, and when so - nowhere near the hype of his potential, has still hit enough times that it feels like a difficult measuring stick for White.  Jay doesn't seem, at least right now, in the same league in that regard.  Few promising younger wrestlers are.

Nothing against Juice Robinson, but I'm hoping he sticks it out at the appropriate level in Impact.  No arguing with Juice's fundamentals, and maybe he'd be another excellent mid-card JTTS, but I'd prefer to wait and see how he develops in the Impact Zone.

Yeah, a Shane-o-Mac cross channel jump would be fun television.  I'm not sure I welcome the potential consequences of him eating up more than that one (and done) fun segment.   

Keith Lee is an exciting potential (feels inevitable) signing and I expect they'll roll out the red carpet for a talent of his level.  Gargano seems like he'd work in a situation like Khan is hyping, but I suspect, from what I've read, that we won't be seeing Johnny until after the birth of his child.  Still super stoked on the Briscoes coming in.  Patience is wavering a little there.  Seems like it would've been a lot hotter to have them come in off the FTR appearance at Final Battle, but I have to assume there's a reason.  I still feel confident we'll see Windham Rotunda in AEW after his outside pursuits.  I'm not all that familiar with his work, but from the little I've seen, and that of his brother's (in developmental), I kinda like the possibility of them coming in as a team.  On top of the names, which would also include Toni Storm, there's a ton of potential dark horses running around.  What does a Tegan Knox or Ember Moon or Taya Valkyrie AEW run look like?  Or capable workhorses in the mix like Biff Buisick or Gran Metalik?  Could they forgive Samuray Del Sol the error of his spelling ways and let him fly another time on their TV?  I'd like that.  I'd also love to see Shane Strickland become another potential pillar.  So many options right now.  Have we all forgotten Samoa Joe is out there without a future deal?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

Trevor Murdoch is the current NWA World's Heavyweight Champion. I've seen his name come up a few times. I certainly don't expect him to come in, but if he did, he's not feuding with JD Drake on Dark. 

I’d be pretty excited to see that match though.

• Like 5

Definitely a WWE guy. Probably Keith Lee, maybe Samoa Joe, someone who was under utilized and has a reason to "shoot". Not a good way to debut Hardy, and he'll probably show up after Andrade's hostile take over of HFO forces Matt back into a face turn. 

Long shots are; Mustafa Ali, and as much as I'd love to see the ensuing legal shitstorm it would likely lead to either the end of WWE's bullshit "independent contractor" status (yay!) or the end of AEW (hard boo!) Triple H, who is probably a company man to the bitter end despite how they've dismantled NXT, or Shane, dear god I don't want it to be Shane.

Best Use of Shane in AEW in my opinion:

Have him Madusa the World Cup on Dynamite and enter the Owen Cup. 

Wardlow pulverizes him into the mat in the first round.

Transition him to a backstage job as Eddie Kingston’s sole producer when he’s in the booth on Dark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, twiztor said:

that just makes me think of Dick Murdoch vs Wahoo McDaniel at Slamboree 94

5 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

What's John Cena up to these days? ?

Homie I was just about to say... Peacemaker's made the guy. He doesn't need WWE any more. And it's not like his last few years there were great ones for him. I mean they:

- put his relationship with Nikki out in the streets

- wouldn't give him a real Mania match with Taker

- made him do that goofy cinematic shit with Bray

- made him put over Roman repeatedly (and I'm pretty sure there's legitimate mutual disdain between those two)

And when he got tired of AEW and wanted to go back and do the HOF and all that it's not like WWE wouldn't sign him right back up in a heartbeat.

I think in terms of impact and interest, it probably goes in this order...

Cena, HHH, Jeff Hardy, Bayley, Okada, Keith Lee, Jay White, and then a fewer spots down would be Ali. 

Cena is WWE for life, HHH is a WWE corporate executive, Jeff is still under a no compete, Bayley would take some kind of fuck up with her contact and her being unsigned going completely under the radar, Okada and White are big ifs and are dependent on travel and other factors. So that leaves Lee and Ali as the most likely options from a logistical standpoint, but none match up to the amount of noise TK made over the appearance. Then again, TK is always just promoting on Twitter and as long as the signing isn't a total dud like Kross then it'll be good enough. 

I don’t expect Cena to ever wrestle anywhere but WWE.

That said, I think maybe one day AEW can get him to put on a Canadian tuxedo and aviators for a pre-tape where he plays out OC to Where is My Mind on the piano for a big match. 

• Like 1