DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

2 hours ago, Horatio said:

Jay White sounds like a way better addition to the roster than Jeff Hardy or Ali. Can't see many people who would stand alone like he could. Can't see him getting along with anyone really, and it wouldn't affect his confidence.

The only issue with Jay is that he'd make MJF look mid by comparison.  Jay is absolutely the most valuable commodity in wrestling, fantastic worker, fantastic promo, great person, can work any style.

For AEW, he'd be even more valuable- he has history with Hangman, Kenny, and Mox.   Jay/Page was the Lollapalozza blow-up match for both of them back in 2018.

• Like 2

It also depends on if he is bringing in someone the masses will know or more niche fans. I always use my brother as an example - he watches AEW every week and is a lifelong WCW/WWF/WWE fan (with a sprinkle of ECW) so he would know Jeff Hardy, Keith Lee, Ali, Braun, Bray, etc but he would have no idea who Jay White is. That's not to say it is a bad thing, he didn't know Minoru Suzuki either when he popped in, but I think if TK hyped it both on-show and on social media that it would be someone more familar with the general audience.

That's not a knock on Jay White, he's great, just thinking if that would be a "big" enough signing to be worth all the hype to the average fan.

• Like 2

He’s basically teasing that the person will shoot on their former employer and I don’t know if doing that to New Japan is a good idea. Granted NJPW needs AEW more than the other way around, but I still don’t think it’s a good idea to shit on a company that you have a good relationship with.

like @Jiji I secretly hope it’s Shane McMahon because I want to watch the world burn

• Like 4

Just now, EVA said:

Juice Robinson.

His contract was up, wasn't it? I think I sawr as much on twitter. Can't be wrong. Is Jay tied down to NJPW long-term?

Juice was My Guy back in 2017/18. Incredible, sincere babyface fire in both his in-ring work and promos. That's incredibly hard to find in modern pro wrestling. One of the best sellers in wrestling too. Seems like he kinda hit the glass ceiling in NJPW after I stopped watching, or am I wrong?

Was going to edit the above but it turned out significantly longer than the original post so, uh, please excuse poor etiquette regarding the double post:

Think it's safe to say Keith Lee is the obvious bet with his non compete ending recently and how shitty things ended with WWE. He's also a no brainer for a company very much in need of top tier Black wrestlers (push Hobbs!). Still kind of sad it would appear that Windham isn't going to sign with AEW. I'd love all the big names to show up in AEW in due time though. Hardys one last big run in this tag division? Fuck yes. Windham isn't very good in the ring but I love his character work and he can be carried (usually by Danielson). Ali fucking rocks. Great promo, super slick in the ring, fantastic look. First time I saw Keith Lee hit the tope con giro in ROH with Shane Taylor my jaw dropped to the floor. His run on the indies churned out so many great matches and his presence is special. Didn't see him in WWE but no way could you not recapture that magic in AEW. 

Shane McMahon is neat. 2000 Shane falling off of tall stuff, doing that signature silly diving chair shot, "YEAH, BABY! YEAH!"... All of it. Love that guy. He can be a face or a heel. Most importantly, how good would it feel for both Shane and Khan to stick it to Vince and WWE? LFG.

Oh and Regal too.

If space is an issue, does Jake Hager really need to be renewed? There are plenty of people who haven't really won over the audience or Khan in the past 2-3 years that it's probably best to let them see what they can do elsewhere. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

how long until Jeff Hardy is free to arrive in AEW so he can feud with Paul Jones' Matt Hardy's army?

Just another month, I reckon. Was it here or twitter where I saw that Matt is pretty much ready to move on from the Big Money Matt character so he can team up with Jeff? I think Andrade's involvement certainly points towards that being true, though I feel like Andrade should be surrounded by more legit, pushed talent even if BBB and PP are dope. El Toro Blanco bb. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

would Matt Hardy really be the best possible tag team partner in AEW for Jeff Hardy? I guess teaming Jeff Hardy and Darby Allin would be taking time away from the Darby/Sting pairing (on-screen, Sting's long ago history with Jeff Hardy comes to mind and Sting might not want his surrogate son to hook up with Jeff Hardy)

there's probably some matches involving the Hardys that they can't really wait much longer to do, but maybe Jeff would team with other partners which spurs jealousy from Matt or something

Just imagine if it's Lita. She comes back for the Rumble, accepts a high profile Saudi booking, does TV to hype the Saudi booking, and then jumps to AEW before the match happens. And then goes on TV to talk about how the WWE-Saudi deal is disgusting and everyone supporting the company should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

TK has been pretty good at delivering when he hypes up a debut. The more "iffy" wrestlers (as in not nationally popular wrestlers) that debuted were generally surprises at the time they showed up, not promoted a week in advance on multiple platforms. My best guess is Lee, with a smaller guess of Hardy if due to how/why he was fired they can get around the non-complete clause.

It should be pointed out that Lee and Yim got married today so its also possible they have honeymoon/other plans this week. Just something else to factor in.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

like @Jiji I secretly hope it’s Shane McMahon because I want to watch the world burn

yes please.

Like I'm sure it's not, but Tony's whole part about "they're welcome to slam the door in the face of their prior company" screams Shane O to me. I wish.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alstein said:

The only issue with Jay is that he'd make MJF look mid by comparison.  Jay is absolutely the most valuable commodity in wrestling, fantastic worker, fantastic promo, great person, can work any style.

For AEW, he'd be even more valuable- he has history with Hangman, Kenny, and Mox.   Jay/Page was the Lollapalozza blow-up match for both of them back in 2018.

I'm guessing you've seen more Jay White than me and I like what you're putting down. I'm all for him showing up and showing up everyone on the roster. I think it'd be good for business so long as he's All-Elite status.

I figure, whether or not he's the type to carry a broomstick to a 3-star match, he has the look, the energy, and the experience to come in and play the ace of the aces. I know he can come in with his highlight-reel style and just get better from working with Danielson, Madking, Punk. I imagine Christian and Matt Hardy can get a few good shots in on him, too...

Makes MJF look bad? Good. Sign Jay White as a Flair if MJF's just a Lawler. He'll have his day if he deserves it.

It'd be cool to see him outshine Cole and further add drama to the Elite. Make Bullet Club-USA an nWo-sized shitstorm and make Jay White the one they bow to.  It'd be like fulfilling my dream fantasy of seeing Scotty Riggs rule the day~

And if his rise to the top becomes a little too inevitable, then bring in King Kon...I mean, Keith Lee to make everyone settle down a bit.

And if you really want him to get over, sign Jeff Hardy to just follow him around like a grateful Deadhead who's SO retired he doesn't even do promos anymore. But instead of having him to do the occasional Sting reappearance in the ring, he could perform his songs for Jay White intros at specialized WM-type concerts. I mean, if that's what Jeff really does, let's see him do what he loves from now on.

I think AEW fans, and whatever small herd of NXT fans who might now be watching to see Undisputed Era, would love to see Jay White and Will Ospreay come in like Sonic and Knucklez restore balance in a sense. Make NXT vs NJPW a thing that happens in AEW. That would get me to watch a freakin' Johnny Gargano match. That would turn it all up a notch.

• Like 1

Who would be the worst possible signing that AEW could bring in as their huge surprise?

There are so many options!

Enzo Amore?

Velveteen Dream?

Marty Scurll?

Lars Sullivan?

Bully Ray?

"Auntie Vax" Nia Jax?

Michael Elgin?

Alberto Del Rio?

Taichi (without Miho Abe)?

My top choices, just in terms of what would pop me, personally, considering who might be available:

Tucky (to team with Bear Country and dominate AEW's trios division)

2 Cold Scorpio (as Flash Funk)

Kizarny (seezo heeze ceezood ceezut preezumeezo eezeen kizarneezy about how they never used him right "up North")

Chris Masters (to have a Hercules vs Billy Jack style feud with Dark Order #10 over who has the best Full Nelson)

Damien Sandow (to do for "less talented Miz" what he did for regular Miz)

Trevor Murdoch (to team with JD Drake, possibly as "The Murdoch brothers" in matching Dick Murdoch cosplay gear), (Oh! and maybe John Wayne Murdoch could join them, in the trios division)

My actual dream pick:

El Hijo del Vikingo (because El H del V in AEW would be too much fun)

And one last one that might possibly only surprise and delight me:

Kotoge, Harada, and Tadasuke (to reprise Momo no Seishun in AEW's new trios division)

Edited by Gordlow
Taichi?
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Taichi (without Miho Abe)?

Why you gotta say stuff like that?

Don't think they'd stick a guy plagued with injuries into a ladder match, but Samoa Joe's non compete clause would be up by now because he was in NXT, right?

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just occurred to me (and apologies if someone already came up with this):

What if the one coming through the forbidden door and slamming it shut on WWE is not a recently released wrestler, but a recently released producer, writer, and trainer?

That's right! Ladiesangennelmen, children of all ages! I'm talking Road Dogg Jesse James! Bad Ass Billy Gunn! 

The Middle! Aged! Outlaws!

Reunited to feud with the Ass Boys.

And if you're not down for that, I got two words for ya: Fair enough.

(But I bet they'd get a huge nostalgia pop and chant-along crowd response the first couple of times)

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

His contract was up, wasn't it? I think I sawr as much on twitter. Can't be wrong. Is Jay tied down to NJPW long-term?

Juice was My Guy back in 2017/18. Incredible, sincere babyface fire in both his in-ring work and promos. That's incredibly hard to find in modern pro wrestling. One of the best sellers in wrestling too. Seems like he kinda hit the glass ceiling in NJPW after I stopped watching, or am I wrong?

Yeah, the stuff Juice is great at isn’t what NJPW values in a main eventer these days, so he hit his limit at the US title. When they shunted him off to the tag division, it was clearly over for him there.

• Like 1