DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

During the Punk/MJF match, JR  brought up both men's records and I can't remember the numbers, but they weren't like 1-1 or something.  They included last year's numbers, which is incorrect, right?

Which made me think of another issue with AEW "resetting" rankings at year end.  Shouldn't every wrestler be fighting hard for a December title shot so all their hard work throughout the year isn't negated?  Like I'd be pissed if I fought all year and was like 25-2 but couldn't get a title shot in time.  They should lean into this and do some sort of 10 man, woman and team fuckfests in November with each division's top 10 for the year, winners get the last shot at the belts before the reset.

I remember him saying that MJF was something like 19-4? That stood out because I was thinking how rarely I had seen MJF actually wrestle, and that number would equate to 6-8 matches a year (maybe it was just his singles record). A GGL search says MJF has 27 singles matches in AEW. Still, Bryan Danielson has had more than half as many singles matches (15) in 6 months.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I remember him saying that MJF was something like 19-4? That stood out because I was thinking how rarely I had seen MJF actually wrestle, and that number would equate to 6-8 matches a year (maybe it was just his singles record). A GGL search says MJF has 27 singles matches in AEW. Still, Bryan Danielson has had more than half as many singles matches (15) in 6 months.

MJF wrestling is an attraction at this point. The world title being defended is an attraction. Sting is something of an attraction (though I feel we've gotten a lot of him wrestling lately). Paul Wight is sort of an attraction.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

During the Punk/MJF match, JR  brought up both men's records and I can't remember the numbers, but they weren't like 1-1 or something.  They included last year's numbers, which is incorrect, right?

Which made me think of another issue with AEW "resetting" rankings at year end.  Shouldn't every wrestler be fighting hard for a December title shot so all their hard work throughout the year isn't negated?  Like I'd be pissed if I fought all year and was like 25-2 but couldn't get a title shot in time.  They should lean into this and do some sort of 10 man, woman and team fuckfests in November with each division's top 10 for the year, winners get the last shot at the belts before the reset.

Yeah, I realized how dumb their ranking system was when Red Velvet and Leyla Hirsch  were the top two contenders.  I don't mean this as a shot at either of them, but I don't think anyone watching every week would think that either of those two are worthy contenders to either of the women's championships.  They are probably 10 women I perceive as being higher on the card than either of them.  I like the fact that both of them seem to be getting more TV time and perfecting their characters, but they're clearly behind Ruby Soho, Nyla Rose, Anna Jay, Tay Conti, The Bunny, Penelope Ford, Kris Statlander, Serena Deeb, Riho, Hikaru Shida, and Thunder Rosa.  The commentary going on and on about them being the top two contenders actually makes them look worse, because no one actually believes it.  The same thing goes for Private Party and The Gunn Club being the top contenders in the tag division.  There is not a person on earth who is watching their show from week to week who would ever think either of those teams are closer to the championship than FTR, The Young Bucks, ReDragon, or even Men of the Year.  If they are going to do the rankings, they actually have to support what is going on with the television show from week to week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've also noticed that sometimes the go with the yearly records and sometimes it lifetime. An it does bug me that you have people who only make tv to job but are at the same time highly ranked. Surely quality of opposition would matter in a ranking system (beating other ranked opponents) more than just farming wins on Dark/elevation

Records are reset each year.  That is how Red Velvet and Leyla Hirsch reached the Top 2 rankings.  The schedule has gone heel on the women’s division.

That is also how Lance Archer got his shot.

Refs all have different interpretations of the rules.  Like an umpire’s strike zone in baseball. AEW refs are like snowflakes.  Sure. That is why there are more refs than wrestlers at this point.  TK is just…shitty at math or something.

Nah!

People do hate them some Tony Khan online.  He is like the thinking man’s Gabe Sapolsky.  No?

Edited by Ryan Faulconer

Overall I like TK. He especially comes off well on podcasts, just truly a huge wrestling fan and nerd. His enthusiasm is palpable and by most of his employees accounts, he's a great fucking dude and a pleasure to work for. However, sometimes he says dumb shit. C'est la vie.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 4

Absolute shot in the dark here, but could the signing or person showing up this Wednesday be Ali? Tony and Ali are both Pakistani - is it out of the real of possibility that he wants Ali to help diversify the roster a little more with someone of his heritage? Thus willing to maybe even go the extra mile and have him show up despite being under WWE contract?

If they were going to stir up some shit like that I think it’d be Jeff debuting. It’s a ladder match with an HFO guy, an easy way to set up a Matt face turn. Plus, fighting a non-compete is definitely less of an uphill battle than a full blown contract breach. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

TK bringing out Ali and daring WWE to sue, then using his billions to fight WWE to abandon their non-compete practices and, eventually, independent contractor practices, would be a hell of a thing.  Why fight for viewers when you can hit them where it actually does hurt?

While an interesting fight is Ali really the person to have the fight over?  

• Like 1

Jay White sounds like a way better addition to the roster than Jeff Hardy or Ali. Can't see many people who would stand alone like he could. Can't see him getting along with anyone really, and it wouldn't affect his confidence.

23 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

While an interesting fight is Ali really the person to have the fight over?  

I think so. The guy is a phenomenal wrestler all around and a potential main-eventer, a POC when AEW needs the diversity, and by all accounts a tremendously good human being. He's 35 but could absolutely be Omega/Danielson levels of "that damn good" in a couple years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really hoping Danielson and Moxley team up to form a dojo and it's just like Cobra Kai with Moxley as Johnny and Danielson as...Daniel-san (FUCKING PERFECT).  Bryan trying his damnedest to teach youngsters the fine points of grappling arts, only to get exasperated when Moxley is teaching them about barbed wire and bulldog chokes, would be the best.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

As I'd never seen White, I watched the match he had vs Garcia last year, which was a "TV" match with Garcia portrayed as a severe underdog. I don't think it had the sort of layers you got with Punk vs Garcia or whatever, but it was good. Solid stalling to start, had highs and lows and wasn't just a bunch of noise/spots, and White portrayed his annoyance and wrath fairly well, while also still be able to work with some of Garcia's more complex stuff like a rolling takedown to set up the Sharpshooter. I don't think I'll ever watch an Osprey match again in my life, but I'd give White a fair shake if he was the guy.

• Like 2

Jay White is fucking awesome.  Watch him bring a level of superstardom to his appearances on Impact.  It's like when Omega showed up on Impact.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I don't think I'll ever watch an Osprey match again in my life, but I'd give White a fair shake if he was the guy.

Oh man, Will Osprey is showing up Wednesday, isn't he?

• Sad 2