DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 Discussion of Wrestling.

• RIPPA pinned this topic
4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Antonio Inoki answers the question "What if Vince McMahon was also Hulk Hogan?"

Needless to say, such a man would be crucified...

"something like a phenomenon, something like a phenomenon!" (LL)

• Haha 1

Normally, one would ask themselves the question, "Who would attempt a fifteen-round semi-work with an unstable murderer?"

INOKI is the only possible answer, though, so no need to even ask. 

• Haha 1

I mean our DVD 500s had more credibility than this list

(For context - they list Meltzer as the 12th most notable Alum of San Jose State, one spot ahead of Bill Fucking Walsh

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I mean our DVD 500s had more credibility than this list

(For context - they list Meltzer as the 12th most notable Alum of San Jose State, one spot ahead of Bill Fucking Walsh

Bill Walsh had his own video game and Dave Meltzer still hasn't made a Wrestling Observer video game

• Haha 2

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that people never shut up about Dave and the Tokyo Dome/Japan when he has said on numerous occasions that lucha is actually his favorite style/show in part because of the atmosphere?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Normally, one would ask themselves the question, "Who would attempt a fifteen-round semi-work with an unstable murderer?"

INOKI is the only possible answer, though, so no need to even ask. 

I could see Flair or Hogan going for this.

A match vs OJ was surely floated at some point in WCW's history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that people never shut up about Dave and the Tokyo Dome/Japan when he has said on numerous occasions that lucha is actually his favorite style/show in part because of the atmosphere?

It's weird that Dave says that but has never been to Arena Mexico.

42 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

The Hollywood Backlot Brawl at Wrestlemania 12 was originally pitched as Piper/OJ before everyone involved realized it was a terrible idea. According to Prichard, OJ was willing to do it because he needed the money, but his people talked him out of it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

This is a fair point, though I would argue that there are levels to this whole "unstable murderer" thing, and that Idi Amin is a couple of levels above (below?) OJ's admittedly crazy ass. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

This is a fair point, though I would argue that there are levels to this whole "unstable murderer" thing, and that Idi Amin is a couple of levels above (below?) OJ's admittedly crazy ass. 

Oh 100% there's a huge difference.

But in terms of marketing or media attention, Hogan v OJ would be talked about to this day while Inoki v Amin would only be know by diehard wrestling followers.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Amin was a frickin' cannibal, of COURSE he wins the "who's baddest" argument

Gotta fault your logic there, friend.  Just because he was a cannibal doesn't mean he personally successfully fought and killed the people he ate.  Like you can't assume I'm out here choking out cows just because I like hamburgers.

• Haha 5