DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/26/22

Technico Support

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

Having no challenger, no match, and no run-in/interruption was my biggest issue with it. Maybe if they had more than one women's match on Dynamite they'd have built up a suitable contender or two. They are definitely focusing more on the TBS title (defended exclusively on TNT) these days, but it seems way too early for a Cargill-Baker match. 

While I agree in this specific case, as Britt seems to be treading water waiting for a real challenger, it was nice to see a segment not get interrupted for once. Got to do that every once in awhile or you end up in a situation like you'd see in late 90s WCW matches, where large segments of the crowd spends the match staring at the entrance way, waiting for the inevitable NWO or whomever interference.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Holy shit, Dave.  I liked Sammy/Cody well enough but no way is that a five star match for all the various reasons mentioned already.  Hell, Cody's piss poor dye job brings it down a quarter star right from the start.

Cassidy/Cole feels about right, I guess.  I don't think it's any better than 3 and a quarter but I totally understand anybody who thinks it's not as good as that.

I thought ladder match was great, but if I had to give it a rating, I'd say it's more 4 1/4 snowflakes. But this is why I don't like the snowflake rating system anymore. It's not balanced.  

My understanding always was that a 5* match was pretty much nigh perfect or virtually perfect. Now you have Meltzer routinely breaking the scale, and its absolutely ridiculous. Nothing should be over five stars. If it's that good of a match, just rate it five stars. Don't rate it 5 1/2, 6, or 7. It's f'n asinine, just like writing that Shibata had his brain removed. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I mean her next big challenger for PPV should be Thunder Rosa. 

Do you figure Mercedes Martinez has her issue settled with Rosa before Revolution? I kinda figured Statlander would be next, but she's probably tied up with Hirsch for the time being. In fact, isn't it Hirsch now the one who should be facing Britt, as she just beat Red Velvet, who I hear is ranked #1?

...oh, and Hayter seems more and more like she's not all in with Britt right now! Turning?

Edited by Shartnado
How about Hayter?
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Do you figure Mercedes Martinez has her issue settled with Rosa before Revolution? I kinda figured Statlander would be next, but she's probably tied up with Hirsch for the time being. In fact, isn't it Hirsch now the one who should be facing Britt, as she just beat Red Velvet, who I hear is ranked #1?

...oh, and Hayter seems more and more like she's not all in with Britt right now! Turning?

I feel like it should. But even if it isn't, I feel like the end game here is Thunder Rosa beating Baker to win the title.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Dave Meltzer:

Guevara/Rhodes, *****.

Cassidy/Cole, ***3/4.

Disagree with both.

I'd go:

Guevara/Rhodes, ****1/4.

Cassidy/Cole, ***.

I was disappointed with Cassidy/Cole. As I said earlier, Conti/Jay vs. Bunny/Ford felt more like a Lights Out match than the one we wound up with.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I thought ladder match was great, but if I had to give it a rating, I'd say it's more 4 1/4 snowflakes. But this is why I don't like the snowflake rating system anymore. It's not balanced.  

My understanding always was that a 5* match was pretty much nigh perfect or virtually perfect. Now you have Meltzer routinely breaking the scale, and its absolutely ridiculous. Nothing should be over five stars. If it's that good of a match, just rate it five stars. Don't rate it 5 1/2, 6, or 7. It's f'n asinine, just like writing that Shibata had his brain removed. 

Agreed.

RE: Britt's challengers

I have no problem waiting until Double or Nothing or All Out for the eventual Baker/Rosa match. The problem is that the heel side is so heavy...so how do they get there? Do they do a multi woman qualifier match for the Revolution opponent and have Britt maybe face Deeb? It would be easy to make her a tweener for a few months and then heat her back as a heel to build to the match with Rosa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

As good as the pop for Gargano would have been, it was nice that Wardlow got to do the speech at the end:

I am speaking it into the ether, Wardlow needs to be the absolute next person they push to the moon. I genuinely could see him being an incredible "homegrown" face of the company within 2-3 years with the right push.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I am speaking it into the ether, Wardlow needs to be the absolute next person they push to the moon. I genuinely could see him being an incredible "homegrown" face of the company within 2-3 years with the right push.

We’ll see… He’s missing a roster that compliments his potential run as a top face.

Like if say he needs rivals to challenge him. You might have to look for people like Hammerstone, and Jacob Fatu for potential people to put him over.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Just now, Matt D said:

Who were ace Barista’s top heels? King Booker and Edge?

Batista’s top rival was JBL, but realistically it was being injury prone. 

It’s kinda forgotten, but anytime Batista got any momentum as a top face, he would get sidelined with an injury. His most consistent time was as a heel.

• Like 2

I can't sleep. Here are my ***** AEW matches with Dave Meltzer's ***** and over. I stick to ***** only. Italics is where I disagree with Dave.

Mine:

1. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing 2019.
  2. Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Revolution 2020.
  3. Mr Brodie Lee vs. Cody. AEW Dynamite, 7th October 2020.
  4. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Full Gear 2020.
  5. Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 30th December 2020.
  6. Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW St. Patrick's Day Slam Dynamite, 17th March 2021.
  7. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson vs. Fenix/Pentagon. AEW All Out 2021.
  8. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021.
  9. Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021.
  10. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021.
  11. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. 

Meltzer:

1. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing 2019.
  2. Rey Fenix/Pentagon vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW All Out 2019.
  3. Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Revolution 2020.
  4. Trent/Chuck Taylor vs. Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 16th September 2020.
  5. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Full Gear 2020.
  6. Kenny Omega vs. Rey Fenix. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2021.
  7. Young Bucks vs. Rey Fenix/PAC. AEW Dynamite, 14th April 2021.
  8. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson vs. Fenix/Pentagon. AEW All Out 2021.
  9. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021.
  10. Christian/Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson/Adam Cole. AEW Full Gear 2021.
  11. Kenny Omega vs. Adam Page. AEW Full Gear 2021.
  12. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021.
  13. Cody Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara. AEW Dynamite, 26th January 2022.

---

I honestly think mine's better. Least I don't have Christian/Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus vs. Matt Jackson/Adam Cole and Cody Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara as ***** especially the former.

Edited by The Natural

I feel like, if FTR vs Shotty and el hijo del Enforcer had -move for move, beat-for-beat - taken place in a territory in the early 80s we'd still be talking about it today and it would be one of those low-key connoisseur's choice matches that show up with a handful of votes on GOAT match discussions. 

I also really liked the contrast between the meat and potatoes of that match and the flashy reversals of the tag title match.

OOPS! meant to post that in the Ramage thread, obviously.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd go:

Guevara/Rhodes, ****1/4.

Cassidy/Cole, ***.

I was disappointed with Cassidy/Cole. As I said earlier, Conti/Jay vs. Bunny/Ford felt more like a Lights Out match than the one we wound up with.

I’m not really a match rater but these all sound about right to me. And that Women’s Street Fight really kind of set a standard that the men’s gimmick matches haven’t met yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1