DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/26/22

Technico Support

I totally understand the criticism, and it's not necessarily unfounded, but I've always just personally been really forgiving of matches that have lots of wild bumps like the opener and main, so it's entirely within the realm of probability that I'm overrating them hard. For example, I totally agree with like @Technico Support 'S point about Sammy's selling or all the people noting the absurdity of the lights out finish, but I just had so much fun during the rest of it that I'm largely unaffected.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Shit yeah, I forgot to mention Sammy going from selling the off-the-ladder Crossrhodes like death, to jumping to his feet and sprinting up the ladder fresh as a daisy.  That was terrible.  I was thinking, "maybe he'll stay on the ground selling but kick at the ladder?"  Nope.  Just picked an arbitrary time to stop selling and moved to the next spot.  Likewise, there wasn't much time between the ladder cutter and the Crossrhodes.

Fighting Spirit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Kris Statlander running to the ring in her normal human clothes sent a few hundred kids directly through puberty.

Yep.  Someone was definitely headed to the club for drinks after the show.  Those were not hanging around the hotel room shorts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Britt said something like "Baker Mayfield had 9 incomplete passes."  And then like a minute later, she said her legacy was also incomplete.  Like Baker Mayfield.

She literally did the punchline first, then did the setup after.  It should have been something along the lines of, "Like Baker Mayfield's passes, my legacy is incomplete."

Like I said, you need to set these insults up somehow.  There needs to be a joke, some wit to it.  Any unskilled jamoke off the street can grab a mic and scream about how bad your team is and get some heat.  Like Eddie said, "I don't just come out here and curse and that's the show."

I think here, she got a little shaken because she forgot/realized she messed up the football reference. I think she was trying to reference the game against the Steelers where Baker Mayfield was sacked 9 times (which is a lot, and bad) instead of throwing 9 incompletions (which is normal, and would probably be quite good for a whole game given the average number of passing attempts in the NFL today).

Either way, I didn't find it that terrible, I just had to think for a minute about what she was saying and I watch a lot of NFL games. Britt is very marketable and AEW should keep putting her in the spotlight. Her promo work now is significantly above where it was 2 years ago.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think here, she got a little shaken because she forgot/realized she messed up the football reference. I think she was trying to reference the game against the Steelers where Baker Mayfield was sacked 9 times (which is a lot, and bad) instead of throwing 9 incompletions (which is normal, and would probably be quite good for a whole game given the average number of passing attempts in the NFL today).

Either way, I didn't find it that terrible, I just had to think for a minute about what she was saying and I watch a lot of NFL games. Britt is very marketable and AEW should keep putting her in the spotlight. Her promo work now is significantly above where it was 2 years ago.

Not to be football nerd, but she was actually referencing a game against Pittsburgh this year where Mayfield threw 10 STRAIGHT incompletions, the only QB to do that this season. Problem was, she forgot to use the word straight(or consecutive) and it ruined the whole joke.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The finish to the main was definitely Couch Tony (keeping the mistake) thumbing his nose at everyone who moaned about the end of the Wargames match. 

That did look distinctly similar, as I just watched Blood and Guts the other day. Yeah, it did look like it happened like that on purpose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Not to be football nerd, but she was actually referencing a game against Pittsburgh this year where Mayfield threw 10 STRAIGHT incompletions, the only QB to do that this season. Problem was, she forgot to use the word straight(or consecutive) and it ruined the whole joke.

Her misquote did effect the promo. But sports team heat is dicey. I mean yeah it always gets you heat. But sometimes it turns the crowd's attention from the segment. That happened in this case. They stopped listening and just started chanting "Here we go Brownies here we go". Britt is usually one of the best in ring promos in the company, but she was a little off here. She spammed the Browns Steelers stuff too much. There was even an audible JR groan at like the 9th or 10th reference. It didn't help that there really wasn't a point to the segment beyond the sports team spamming. No challenger to talk about. No match to build up.

Minor miscue, chalk it up to a learning experience. She's still one of the best promos in the company.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There was even an audible JR groan at like the 9th or 10th reference

You know you have a problem when JR thinks you're talking about real sports too much.

And thanks, @Peck and @Go2Sleep for clarifying that stat.  I was so wrapped up in discussing how amateurish the promo was that I forgot that the stat she mentioned made zero sense.  I was like, "only nine incompletions?  That's HOF numbers."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Shit yeah, I forgot to mention Sammy going from selling the off-the-ladder Crossrhodes like death, to jumping to his feet and sprinting up the ladder fresh as a daisy.  That was terrible.  I was thinking, "maybe he'll stay on the ground selling but kick at the ladder?"  Nope.  Just picked an arbitrary time to stop selling and moved to the next spot.  Likewise, there wasn't much time between the ladder cutter and the Crossrhodes.

I was surpised he got up from the crossroads, too, but I don't think Sammy was supposed to awesomely land on his forehead like he did and make it *that* crossroads, if that means anything. Granted, it was off the ladder, but I think it was supposed to be a wait 3 seconds or more then get up, rather than a lay down and act dead because you took the greatest Crossroads of all time spot. He definitely could have struggled to climb the ladder some, but maybe it was Sammy going in-character and saying Fuck the crossroads, that move sucks.

I don't think anyone really goes into a ladder match expecting to make or see a perfectly logical encounter, to be fair.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Her misquote did effect the promo. But sports team heat is dicey. I mean yeah it always gets you heat. But sometimes it turns the crowd's attention from the segment. That happened in this case. They stopped listening and just started chanting "Here we go Brownies here we go". Britt is usually one of the best in ring promos in the company, but she was a little off here. She spammed the Browns Steelers stuff too much. There was even an audible JR groan at like the 9th or 10th reference. It didn't help that there really wasn't a point to the segment beyond the sports team spamming. No challenger to talk about. No match to build up.

Minor miscue, chalk it up to a learning experience. She's still one of the best promos in the company.

Having no challenger, no match, and no run-in/interruption was my biggest issue with it. Maybe if they had more than one women's match on Dynamite they'd have built up a suitable contender or two. They are definitely focusing more on the TBS title (defended exclusively on TNT) these days, but it seems way too early for a Cargill-Baker match. 

Holy shit, Dave.  I liked Sammy/Cody well enough but no way is that a five star match for all the various reasons mentioned already.  Hell, Cody's piss poor dye job brings it down a quarter star right from the start.

Cassidy/Cole feels about right, I guess.  I don't think it's any better than 3 and a quarter but I totally understand anybody who thinks it's not as good as that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4