DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/26/22

Technico Support

Danhausen could very well be a Rockstar in A&W. Kids and adults will love his schtick. His merchandising is going to be through the roof.. and even not wrestling he could be a mainstay as a Bobby Heenan type manager/commentator... just very evil. could also see him leading The Dark Order... or at least Evil Uno.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Far from it, but PURE evil, I assure you! Just the other day, he convinced a moderator of a recently popular subreddit, that a live TV interview with real mainstream news outlet would be a fantastic idea. As it turns out, nope! One should be very wary of inviting evil such as that into their presence!

antiwork reference?

Danhausen just needs to make people love that Danhausen and not be in the ring too much.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Now we're just making up things to be outraged about. 

I mean wasn't the entire Dark Order concept that they were all a bunch of misfits? Methinks Danhausen would be a perfect mouthpiecehausen for them.

11 minutes ago, alstein said:

antiwork reference?

Danhausen just needs to make people love that Danhausen and not be in the ring too much.

Yeah, had fun watching that dumpsterfire just starting last evening at work and had no idea how fast it would escalate once I went to bed. Saw a chance for a punchline, and went for it!

Britt said something like "Baker Mayfield had 9 incomplete passes."  And then like a minute later, she said her legacy was also incomplete.  Like Baker Mayfield.

She literally did the punchline first, then did the setup after.  It should have been something along the lines of, "Like Baker Mayfield's passes, my legacy is incomplete."

Like I said, you need to set these insults up somehow.  There needs to be a joke, some wit to it.  Any unskilled jamoke off the street can grab a mic and scream about how bad your team is and get some heat.  Like Eddie said, "I don't just come out here and curse and that's the show."

Hobbs always looks like a dude in a side scrolling beat em up game and I LOVE IT.

We need someone else his size to team him with that inexplicably wears a pants belt diagonally across his chest.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

I'll be the guy who didn't think the ladder match was much good. The big spots were tasty and I'm sure they've got the highlight clips they want for their video packages, but there wasn't anything else to it. Thought it was pretty braindead and Sammy's inability to sell a death spot for more than 3 seconds was really glaring here. For me, this TNT title run has badly exposed him as a guy with a bunch of cool spots but no idea how to put them into a coherent match.

MJF vs Punk spot was definitely the highlight of the show for me. In a world full of guys who think screaming really loudly and angrily makes for an intense promo, Punk comes across so naturally charismatic and could make me excited about a match with Peter Avalon if he tried.

Main event was a bit of a mixed bag for me. The idea of the hand stuff was fine, though I don't buy OC as a guy who needs to have his punches neutralised. Liked the metal cup spot, like OC mocking Cole before the Panama Sunrise, liked the finish. Everything else around all that was pretty unexciting. Cole and OC aren't fisticuffs guys so this could have done with more blood or nutso spots to make it memorable. Not a bad way to hand Cole his first loss and still protect him though, and I can see him being next in line for Page once Archer has been dispatched.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, killsteve said:

and Sammy's inability to sell a death spot for more than 3 seconds was really glaring here.

Shit yeah, I forgot to mention Sammy going from selling the off-the-ladder Crossrhodes like death, to jumping to his feet and sprinting up the ladder fresh as a daisy.  That was terrible.  I was thinking, "maybe he'll stay on the ground selling but kick at the ladder?"  Nope.  Just picked an arbitrary time to stop selling and moved to the next spot.  Likewise, there wasn't much time between the ladder cutter and the Crossrhodes.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hobbs always looks like a dude in a side scrolling beat em up game and I LOVE IT.

We need someone else his size to team him with that inexplicably wears a pants belt diagonally across his chest.

But only if it changes from side to side depending on what direction he's walking.

• Like 2

Thinking that plans changed? There really aren't the sort of dirt sheet answers we get out of AEW relative to what we would have gotten in years' past. But it felt like Tony needed a title match for Battle of the Belts since it was a bit featured show on TNT but didn't have a champion that could wrestle and everything (The Garcia match, Cody's promo, the ladder match, Sammy carrying forward the belt, whatever Cody does next) stemmed from that. 

• Like 2

I can’t believe I’m 7 pages in and no one else is commenting on how bad that finish was of OC/Cole. Cole just stands there like an idiot while Cassidy gives him a lazy hug and he can’t escape? Dude sold it like he was being bear hugged. Comedy and hardcore are the worst combination in wrestling to me, and this was a prime example of how cringeworthy it can be. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

I can’t believe I’m 7 pages in and no one else is commenting on how bad that finish was of OC/Cole.

Some of us are thinking it but aren't in the mood today to dig in and make that case with people who may be too protective of their entertainment. 

Was a little surprised (but maybe I shouldn't have been) to see Lance Storm sharing your critical view of the mix of tones. Maybe he's doing this more often and I'm not seeing it. 

• Like 1

The hug was oversold, but I thought it worked along the same lines as "humiliating your hated opponent by using their schtick against them", particularly when both wrestlers have comedy-adjacent gimmicks. Cassidy was reminding him that Best Friends hug, before driving him through the stage.

It's interesting to see the disagreements between posters about what they liked/what worked for them and what killed things for them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Thinking that plans changed? There really aren't the sort of dirt sheet answers we get out of AEW relative to what we would have gotten in years' past. But it felt like Tony needed a title match for Battle of the Belts since it was a bit featured show on TNT but didn't have a champion that could wrestle and everything (The Garcia match, Cody's promo, the ladder match, Sammy carrying forward the belt, whatever Cody does next) stemmed from that. 

As soon as I saw they were doing the rematch at Battle of The Belts I knew they just hotshot the belt to  Cody just so they could get a title switch on that show. This ladder match was a make due for that.

Enjoyed the ladder match, but it was a “fit a PPV quality performance into a smaller timeframe” type of ladder match. Which is fine by me. Fans coming into these shows are expecting quick explosive matches, and angles when attending.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Overall, I did think this was a good show this week.

However, what is the point of quarterly TNT specials if they aren't even going to be as good or as big as a monthly PPV-themed episode of Dynamite? Battle of the Belts was not a momentous special event, and I think everyone can see that now. It did not have the big payoffs or vibe that it should have. Dynamite making its debut in a big city is a more momentous show.

Also, still waffling on the Cody heel turn.

Happy to see Danhausen finally debut. I figured it'd only be a cameo, but he's actually been signed. Not sure what they have in store for Danhausen, but hope they can figure something out.