DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/26/22

Technico Support

That cutter by Sammy, tho! Crazy opener! Wow!

Layla Hirsch vs Ivy Nile is quickly becoming another unattainable dream match for me.

Apparently, I'm one of the many co-TNT Champions now. Just like with Cody, previously, Sammy, you don't even know me! Stop pandering.

2.0. really get to do stuff, but here, they had no chance. Will this lead to the end of Inner Circle, finally?

It is a bit odd that Wardlow was willing to powerbomb Punk on that chair at the behest of people who snubbed him on his birthday, but I'd think that was the last time he'll agree to it. Duelling promos were good.

PAC&Penta vs Black & King? Don't mind if I do! And make it a double!

C'mon Cole, did you have to DRAG Danhausen into this?!? Great main event, excellent show!

Edited by Shartnado
Watched it, loved it!
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Briscoes said on facebook that AEW ain't gonna bring them in because they'll whoop FTR in 5 minutes and destroy their entire tag division right off the bat and make them look bad. 

Tony Khan told them to say that, right? I mean, right sir? I sure as hell hope he did anyways...

I mean, from a kayfabe perspective, they just got their shit kicked in by Nick Gage & Matt Tremont in like 10 minutes, so... 

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

I mean, from a kayfabe perspective, they just got their shit kicked in by Nick Gage & Matt Tremont in like 10 minutes, so... 

That's good, right? I mean, it's not about GCW tag titles no more...

37 minutes ago, Horatio said:

That's good, right? I mean, it's not about GCW tag titles no more...

I guess? Them saying they'd embarrass the AEW tag division and beat FTR in 5 minutes goes out the window when they just got beat in around 10 minutes by an overweight deathmatch guy and a straight up brawler.

In kayfabe, of course.

Opener was fun even though it started kinda slow and could have done with at least 5min cut off from it. The Ladder to Ladder Cutter should be in most AEW video packages and show openings from now on.

The Swanton to the ladder looked BRUTAL for Sammy, the way it had zero give made me worried that he had gotten hurt but Sammy is liquid like a cat so no big deal. The GTH he hit on Cody looked pretty gnarly too. Happy Sammywon, I like the "unpredictability" of the TNT title's booking compared to the World Title's more epic/long build ups to predictable but correct title changes.

Hobbs and Starks looks absolutely amazing as the villains of two completely late 80's/early 90's direct to video movies.

I thought this was definitely going to be Wardlow's night to turn specially after his baby face showing earlier in the night. But oh well.

Main event was kinda meh, not sure if I was just tired but it didn't seem to do much for me. The finish felt pretty anticlimactic too but at least the Best Friends have gotten something in this feud.

Edited by eikerir

Unsanctioned Lights Out match: Orange Cassidy defeated Adam Cole

This was a fun brawl but it wasn't at the level of the great AEW Lights Out matches. The Danhausen signing is a major red flag for this company.

I have no idea what the WON reporter guy means by that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Horatio said:

Haven't seen the film, but am I correct in suspecting they're shouting out the realest if not the darkest/scariest side of the dark/scary facepaint?

On this topic, I missed whatever happened with House of Black tonight (where was I?), but last week, I got the vibes that Pac was the real Lord of Darkness, having mastery over the wicked by being "incorruptible." Fuckin loved that. Haven't seen a lot of Pac but how long has he been running with superhero vibes? I know he came in as The Man that Gravity Forgot, which is relatively convoluted for pro-wrestling, but it seems like the gimmick has infinite running power if he's legit god-level demon slayer.

PAC hasn't always been superhero, but he has been pretty much superhuman all along. "King of the Cruiserweights" and "The Man who's Parents forgot to get Married" isn't exactly superHERO material, but if you are looking for a slayer of just about anything, demons included, I'm sure PAC's your guy!

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Red flag? Does Danhausen have a Commie gimmick now?

1 hour ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Red flag? Does Danhausen have a Commie gimmick now?

Far from it, but PURE evil, I assure you! Just the other day, he convinced a moderator of a recently popular subreddit, that a live TV interview with real mainstream news outlet would be a fantastic idea. As it turns out, nope! One should be very wary of inviting evil such as that into their presence!

If the Danhausen debut had happened in AEW year one, Excalibur would have gone: "Oh my god! It's Danhausen!" and Tony and JR would have gone "WHO?" and completely deflated the moment. Whereas on this show, the whole announce team was putting him over.

He even made misery guts JR laugh, merely by walking up the ramp.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

As much as JR is behind the times (and boy did he show it at times tonight) even he knows how the marketing power of Danhausen.   I mean the guy seems to be friends with Conan.   Can't deny how much of an influence he has.   

The biggest question is this for people who compare him to Orange Cassidy.  Orange Cassidy was a great gimmick who was also a really good wrestler.   When he was feuding with guys like Chris Jericho it was Jericho that couldn't hold up.   Danhausen is a very average wrestler at best.  That might be generous.  Unless you are going to treat him like a Santino or R-Truth or he is going to focus a lot more on his in ring skills then he could be exposed badly.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Layla Hirsch vs Ivy Nile is quickly becoming another unattainable dream match for me.

Either that or they form a tag team and effortlessly toss women twice their height around the ring.  The power version of the KCs in NXT.

Speaking of Ivy, I think that Leyla would also benefit from the exposure of being a part of a stable, so it is high time she was brought into Team Tazz.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Okay - I am glad Pete already brought this up because I was like "Did I miss a memo?"

I think he is implying that AEW somehow cratered in to fan demands given the popular support for Danhausen and then signed him.   Some people would call that "giving the customers what they want."

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm cool with Danhausen, but I hope - not unlike Orange Cassidy - he can step it up when the moment arrives.

I've seen him wrestle and I'm not sure it really connects to the gimmick. He's fine, he'll probably basically hardly ever work singles on TV anyway, but for me he should be doing sneaky style and that isn't really what I've seen him do. Colt Cabana needs to let him borrow his WoS DVDs so he can check out Vic Faulkner and the like. I want to see him breaking enhancement guys spirits on Dark. As I say, hope he levels up now he is among the Elite.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think he is implying that AEW somehow cratered in to fan demands given the popular support for Danhausen and then signed him.   Some people would call that "giving the customers what they want."

I've seen the sentiment elsewhere, and it's mind blowing. I have yet to see a single Danhausen match, but to deny the reaction he received is beyond dumb.

@christopher.anninoo You're entirely right about the Rampage appearances. Completely forgot about that big beat down. That's my fault for overindulging on Fridays...

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

As long as he doesn’t do the Tequila kicks, I can tolerate everything else about his actual wrestling. He’s fine. But those kicks are the worst, and it’s automatic checkout time for me when he builds the match around them.

The signing of Danhausen is not surprising.  He's got a good relationship with the company and the workers and even "crashed" the JeriChruse last year.  I don't particularly care for the gimmick, but I am also not the kind of guy that would leave money on the table by not signing him.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I don’t want Danhausen wrestling, ever, but agree that with Danhausen you would think going in that the gimmick lends itself to Yano matches, but instead he wrestles like “generic ROH undercard guy”. It’s a disconnect.

EDIT: I’m not saying as good as Yano because Yano is talented as hell and a savant at what he does. But yeah, sneaky style.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

I fucking loved that ladder match.  Especially since these matches tend to be battle royals in recent years.  It stands out being a 1 on 1.  But maaaaaan, those bumps were awesome.  

At first I was thinking they were messing with the formula a bit with the figure 4 spot with the ladder. As if tonight they’d have a “wrestling” based ladder match.  Like maybe if Dusty had ever had a LM he’d totally do a spot like a F4 through the rungs  on the ladder.  

Then it became the real “Night of the Skywalkers”.  But am I wrong in thinking that cutter was the best Jeff Hardy spot he never did?  (Did he?)

The senton seemed like it was meant to be a Hardy shout out.  But Sammy’s hips hit just beyond Cody’s torso and his middle weight and the length of his legs just bent him in a way that’ll give me nightmares.  

Weird that one ladder got set up for no reason.  One wonders if The Fuegos are done.  

Punk/MJF should be pretty great.  Punk has already spent his credit on the happy hometown boy comeback.  So I’m expecting Punk to lose big time in Chicago.  There shall be new depths for MJF to sink to.  

There was a fair amount of good table setting in this episode, as is usual for AEW.  The promos generally never overstay their welcome (though I wasn’t that into Britts promo).  I liked Punk trying to progress the story by showing up in gear.

I could use a Christian Cage match right about now.  What’s Nick Jackson doing other than wasting money on shoes and having the occasional fantastic singles match?

Negative 1 point for not having Thunder Rosa pronounce it “Cleve-a-land” on camera just once.  

• Like 2

Brandon Bones is awesome.  It never dawned on me that we may have just witnessed the break-up of 2 Fast 2 Fuego.

It also would not break my heart if Danhausen was restricted to comedy relief at the commentator's booth and never set foot in an AEW ring.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6