DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 1/21/2022

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'll have more to say later one but even at 2am I'm watching back the show.

I honestly thought I was a tad bit too far back for any signs to be visible.  But not only were they but my ugly ass in the Godzilla face mask and glasses is in the middle and clearly visible when the hard cam is on.

I feel self conscious yet at the same time really glad.  The signs I hastily made while waiting at 7pm were thankfully pretty visible so that's cool.  Hope that the intended people see it and know it's for them.

Is this you???

E8yeklt.png

fa3zcg2.png

If so? AWESOME!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

I’m loving all these little Trent bangers that are way more brutal that they should be. 

Moxley looks great and lean, good match and  I loved the face off with Dragon at the end. Nice way of doing it with Bryan just waiting in the crowd.

What more can be said about Hook? The guy was over as fuck with the crowd with every single move and was even popping all the guys on commentary with everything he did, HUGE STAR aura tonight. I can see Hook getting the TNT title sooner rather than later with how hot he is. QT’s “oh my gaaawwweeee” while being suplexed was hilarious.

I love how we can witness Jungle Jack become a better promo right in front of our eyes with every show.

That main event was pretty awesome. For two performers that are pretty much “rookies” in this business, the match was physical and perfectly executed,  they should be proud of it. Anna Jay felt like the veteran in the ring which gave her an air of more extra confidence than usual and felt like she really stepped up.

Silver and “Smart Mark” we’re great cheerleaders and together with the hot crowd made for a great atmosphere. Good stuff all around from everyone involved.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, (BP) said:

She had about the same amount of matches under her belt as Anna Jay because she worked  for a couple of years in the early 90s and then took a six year hiatus until her WWF run. I'm actually kind of curious how she ended up getting signed, but maybe I’m underestimating her rep from Japan. 

Tori talks quite candidly about her ring rust, doubting her abilities at that point, and the feeling of not quite being ready during that time period. so yeah, she definitely wasn't ready to lead super green Sable, which only really happened because I believe they suddenly switched plans from Luna to Tori for Mania. 

the main was pretty good. So happy for both ladies. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eikerir said:

Silver and “Smart Mark” we’re great cheerleaders and together with the hot crowd made for a great atmosphere. Good stuff all around from everyone involved.

I wonder if Silver and  Sterling were being Harley Race during Vader matches and helping call the match from ringside.

• Like 2

Quick rundown:

Page vs Mox: Objectively a good match. I wonder if they should have leaned into the hierarchy a little bit, but Mox, like Kingston is a guy who can get over with resilience. The announcers protected him well too, mentioning ring rust and even just getting used to the new weight. It just didn't necessarily feel like the perfect follow up match to Mox's promo the other night and how he was running through guys before he left. I probably would have appreciated it a little more if Page did some more cheating or if Sky was out there with him to help on some of the transitions/cut-offs. Like I said, though, in a bubble, this was a really good TV match. One thing I enjoy about Mox in AEW is that he nails the best part of the house style, how all of the big moves are earned and mattered through multiple attempts and counters, but jettisons the worst part of it, the complex, cooperative big moves that most wrestlers have. This isn't some BS where guys are trying to hit the Beach Break and the Panama Sunrise against each other. It's Mox trying to hit a clothesline and a double-arm DDT and a bulldog choke. Re: my earlier comments, I would have been ok with this ending right after the clothesline, but it's all ok and hopefully Page gets some momentum out of hanging so long against Mox.

Hook vs Serpentico: Tax owes Serpentico a drink for going up for all of Hook's stuff like that. This was exactly what it should have been though I would have liked just a touch of comedy because that's the other thing Serpentico does well. The standing, lifting Redrum was highlight reel stuff.

Jade vs Jay: Jade's best match. Probably Anna's best singles. It fell apart just a little towards the end with the lifting Queenslayer in the corner and what not, but in general, they did an excellent job. Great layout with Jade cutting Anna off repeatedly with her strength and Anna not really getting a shine or any run of offense until her big one towards the end. The first counter to Jaded came off perfectly. Countering the corner Dangerous Jay kick was AJPW stuff (Well, in AJPW, they would have just shoved them off after catching the foot but you get the idea). Anna had two moments I really liked, first when she appeared out of nowhere as Jade was posing early and second when she hit the forearm out of nowhere after the Silver/Jade pose off. I didn't buy into her Mark Henry promo though. Good idea, not feeling the delivery. Still, great showing for both.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Considering how much John Silver gets into doing Mark Henry's "It's time for the Main Event!" along with him, I think we might be getting quite a lot of Dark Order members headlining Rampage over the next while.

Said often - the hour format for Rampage works. I was not sure if Jade/Anna Jay live would not be really bad.  Both at times get a little lost in the ring. But it was a good match, far better than I expected.  The only problem is Jade hit her finisher and she was not facing the camera. Which has done before actually (back to the lost thing). But her look is out of this world - my best comparison is a female Rick Rude.  When Jade walks out, you looked at her and are like wow.

32 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

The only problem is Jade hit her finisher and she was not facing the camera. Which has done before actually (back to the lost thing).

Pretty sure that positioning is on purpose, so she can do her ass-to-the-camera Instagram pose on the cover.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Quick rundown:

Page vs Mox: Objectively a good match. I wonder if they should have leaned into the hierarchy a little bit, but Mox, like Kingston is a guy who can get over with resilience. The announcers protected him well too, mentioning ring rust and even just getting used to the new weight. It just didn't necessarily feel like the perfect follow up match to Mox's promo the other night and how he was running through guys before he left. I probably would have appreciated it a little more if Page did some more cheating or if Sky was out there with him to help on some of the transitions/cut-offs. Like I said, though, in a bubble, this was a really good TV match. One thing I enjoy about Mox in AEW is that he nails the best part of the house style, how all of the big moves are earned and mattered through multiple attempts and counters, but jettisons the worst part of it, the complex, cooperative big moves that most wrestlers have. This isn't some BS where guys are trying to hit the Beach Break and the Panama Sunrise against each other. It's Mox trying to hit a clothesline and a double-arm DDT and a bulldog choke. Re: my earlier comments, I would have been ok with this ending right after the clothesline, but it's all ok and hopefully Page gets some momentum out of hanging so long against Mox.

Hook vs Serpentico: Tax owes Serpentico a drink for going up for all of Hook's stuff like that. This was exactly what it should have been though I would have liked just a touch of comedy because that's the other thing Serpentico does well. The standing, lifting Redrum was highlight reel stuff.

Jade vs Jay: Jade's best match. Probably Anna's best singles. It fell apart just a little towards the end with the lifting Queenslayer in the corner and what not, but in general, they did an excellent job. Great layout with Jade cutting Anna off repeatedly with her strength and Anna not really getting a shine or any run of offense until her big one towards the end. The first counter to Jaded came off perfectly. Countering the corner Dangerous Jay kick was AJPW stuff (Well, in AJPW, they would have just shoved them off after catching the foot but you get the idea). Anna had two moments I really liked, first when she appeared out of nowhere as Jade was posing early and second when she hit the forearm out of nowhere after the Silver/Jade pose off. I didn't buy into her Mark Henry promo though. Good idea, not feeling the delivery. Still, great showing for both.

Y'know.   Ya forgot the Trent/Nick match.  Just sayin'.

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Mark Sterling is awesome.  "This difficult time."

I was not a big fan of the initial choice to pair Smart Mark with Jade since I thought that Jade was above having a comedic jobber as manager. Man was I wrong though, as Smart Mark has been awesome as the asshole manager and Jade still has a mega-star vibe about her. Catching up on both shows last night and this morning, a great week of AEW TV and super happy that Mox is back (and as Jiji put, the shows badly missed his unpredictable presence).

• Like 3

Fun show.  I love Jade and there's obviously great potential in beautiful Anna Jay. I started watching that match with fear for both, but they did their best and pulled it off (mostly). Ballsy move putting them on a 'live' main event, but it is, I would assume, their consistently worst TV quarter hour, so maybe it's strong strategy.  Nonetheless they pulled off a miracle. Having said that, I can't imagine being satisfied with attending an AEW show live and seeing two hours of Dark tapings and a main event headlined by this match. And I really truly love watching Jade.

Also, Anna would be smart to retire that awful looking spinning wheel kick (or what do you call that?).  That move would be very high on a list of least effective looking and slowest clearly non-contact moves in AEW.

Epic spoiler of a match from the tapings without the result:

Spoiler

The undercard featured Aaron Solow vs. Sonny Kiss

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

I’m with @Matt D in that I thought Mox was maybe a little too giving in that match, but it was a good match and the finishing elbows and knees were brutal.

Trent/Nick was great, MOTN, a mix of big moves, counters and strikes with very few actual shenanigans. Nick is definitely the more serious of the Jacksons, and Trent really leans into his strength on his throws. And as others have said, the thud from that senton on the ramp was sure something.

QT Marshall is right though, Hook is a heel! Serpentico sold everything like a pro. Quick squash, the crowd is stoked, I’m over it.

Like most, I was worried the main might be a mess but it was really really good. Pretty smooth, no obvious botches, great counters by both women, excellent hope spot for Anna, and hot damn that one armed power bomb was HUGE. I liked “that bitch slayer”, a good taunt that also fits with Anna’s finisher, kudos to whoever came up with that.

Backstage segments and taped promos were good, making me excited about those matches (at least as excited as I can be about JE vs A** Boys).

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2

Who is producing the women's matches for AEW? Because I for one think whomever needs a big raise.  I heard Tony on Busted Open talked about Anna Jay, how she was on the initial small crew in Jacksonville post COVID and that really helped her develop. 

And Johnny was awesome last night as her second/valet

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I missed our boy @NikoBaltimore' sign. Hopefully someone can screen-cap it. Looking forward, as I said, to his Road Report. Looks like you made the right decision, buddy!

(note, I'm quoting this then a separate post for the stuff on page 3)

Well, Tony I'm here in DC and MAN is it cold out here!  You have to be certifiably nuts to leave the comfort of your home but there were thousands of people here at this Rampage party!  I'll be heading down to Cleveland but not before I make a trip to the National Zoo.  I hear that the featured exhibit for this month are...get this...WEASELS!  I'm Lee Marshall and this is the 1-800-COLLECT Road Report!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Is this you???

E8yeklt.png

fa3zcg2.png

If so? AWESOME!

A wild Greek has been spotted!  Yep, that's me alright.  I also had a "Thank you, Coach Tony K!" sign that I kind of tried to show in the beginning, a "Remaster Sonic Adventure 2!" sign for my wife and of course this one.  Tried to not spam these but once I got confirmation they were shown via Discord I stopped with them.

I will say I thought the crowd was going to come off a lot quieter than they ended up sounding on TV.  It's almost like production pulled a minor miracle in getting the mics setup correctly and the shots to not make it look as empty as the other side was.  But it sure felt quiet in my section which is odd since I thought they would have tried to be more vocal considering they were on TV.  But I can at least say nobody was an asshat and the people around me had a grand ol' time.

I didn't pay much attention to the first few matches of Dark since I was busy making the signs in my seat.  I managed to convince security that I was in a rush and didn't have time so they let me through with the blank signs.  I guess they figured I was too much of a nerd to try anything stupid.  I was delighted to see Sonny though even live I found myself heading to concessions during the Gunn Club match.  I just can't get into them even though they're delightful heels.  The one great thing about a venue like this with not as many people is merch was easily accessible and well stocked.  And concession prices weren't too shabby either.  It felt like watching ROH at UMBC Center and had that weird independent show vibe that happened to be on national TV.

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Holy shit! If indeed that's @NikoBaltimore, thank you my friend. Love, Paul xxx.

Yes, sir, that's me.  Full credit goes to @AxBfor suggesting it on Discord and I'm just glad I thought to bring three sheets of poster board instead of two.  Please know especially with recent stuff going on that you got a lot of people here that love and care about you.  Keep your head up, fella.  Love, Nick.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

That's been a thing for a almost a year now.  On Botchamania he's got a segment with all the signs and while some make sense others are pretty out there.  It spread over to WWE fans too but there's not as many as at AEW.  I personally don't think it needs to be remastered but I liked the game well enough on Dreamcast and would rather play it on there.  Or the Steam version which we have also.

Speaking of AxB he shared this with me as well. Fuck yeah!

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

A wild Greek has been spotted!  Yep, that's me alright.  I also had a "Thank you, Coach Tony K!" sign that I kind of tried to show in the beginning, a "Remaster Sonic Adventure 2!" sign for my wife and of course this one.  Tried not spam these but once I got confirmation they were shown via Discord I stopped with them.

I will say I thought the crowd was going to come off a lot quieter than they ended up sounding on TV.  It's almost like production pulled a minor miracle in getting the mics setup correctly and the shots to not make it look as empty as the other side was.  But it sure felt quiet in my section which is odd since I thought they would have tried to be more vocal considering they were on TV.  But I can at least say nobody was an asshat and the people around me had a grand ol' time.

I didn't pay much attention to the first few matches of Dark since I was busy making the signs in my seat.  I managed to convince security that I was in a rush and didn't have time so they let me through with the blank signs.  I guess they figured I was too much of a nerd to try anything stupid.  I was delighted to see Sonny though even live I found myself heading to concessions during the Gunn Club match.  I just can't get into them even though they're delightful heels.  The one great thing about a venue like this with not as many people is merch was easily accessible and well stocked.  And concession prices weren't too shabby either.  It felt like watching ROH at UMBC Center and had that weird independent show vibe that happened to be on national TV.

Yes, sir, that's me.  Full credit goes to @AxBfor suggesting it on Discord and I'm just glad I thought to bring three sheets of poster board instead of two.  Please know especially with recent stuff going on that you got a lot of people here that love and care about you.  Keep your head up, fella.  Love, Nick.

This is probably one of the most endearing things I've seen on this board in a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2