DVDVR Message Board

2022 Game Deals, Subscriptions Etc.

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

My main issue right now is just that I already have most of the major Sony games of the last few years, and there isn't anything that pops off the page with the classic releases that excites me personally. I'll have the highest tier to start by default since I have Plus and Now, but once it expires I may just go back to the normal Plus tier as I already have NSO and GamePass anyway and nothing there is enough to get me to shell out $10+ a month for a third.

The classics lineup isn’t what we’ll get on release anyway. We’ll see full lists of everything offered when it launches in the US, and that’s still basically a month away.

My issue is so far, the stuff offered via the top teir is stuff that's been free previously (or stuff I ended up getting because it was on my radar anyway).  

My issue with the PS3 streaming is that the streaming over PC fucking sucked, so unless that got fixed, that's going to be an issue.

I need them to add about 47 different JRPGs for me to be excited about this.  I'm fine with what is listed, but like everyone else it's mostly games I've already played.  As someone who buys pretty much every console, the Playstation is mostly used to play Playstation exclusives or games I find on some ridiculous sale.  The Playstation has had a bunch of exclusive, lesser knows JRPGs over the years, and this seems like a perfect place for them.  The best part of Game Pass is that there are 10 smaller games that you want to play for every AAA game they put on the service.  Xbox has a problem with lack of exclusives, but it doesn't really matter because there is so much available to play in between releases.  This new service seems to be missing that part.

• Like 1

I'm somewhat curious what new games from PS1/PS2/PSP gen (hey where's the Vita?) will be added that weren't available on PSN store during PS3 days. If it's essentially what's currently on PS3 PSN store, then it's going to be a harder sell for me to get the service when I can just play what I have on PS3.

I have an Asian account so I'll look at it next week if it allows me to see/browse the games.

Another big-time freebie on the Epic Games Launcher this week: Bioshock Collection.

This consists of three full games - Bioshock Remastered, Bioshock 2 Remastered, Bioshock Infinite: Complete Edition

No, they're not super-recent but they're still big names, just like Borderlands 3 last week.  Maybe someday I'll actually play the second and third games (I liked the first one).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Nintendo Switch Online added this month:

• Pinball (NES)
  • Congo's Caper (SNES)
  • Rival Turf! (SNES)
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64, Expansion Pack Required)

Nothing for me but its good they are adding games I guess?

I used to rent pinball all the time as a kid, but I don't think it's something I'd seek out and play when there are so many other pinball options.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I used to rent pinball all the time as a kid, but I don't think it's something I'd seek out and play when there are so many other pinball options.

I owned it back in the day. I played it a lot but it wasn't good. Night Mission Pinball on the Apple II was better. 

1 minute ago, Ramo2653 said:

Wasn't God of War one of the free games during the early part of the pandemic in 2020 or was it one of the PS+ collection games you got when you purchased a PS5?

Indeed it was. And actually, it may still be. I swear when I signed my daughter up for PS+ that GoW was one of the perpetually free games you could download.

Edited by Craig H

God of War is free for PS5 owners with a PS Plus subscription and has been since it launched in 2020. The “big” game they gave away during the pandemic was Horizon Zero Dawn.

• Like 1

Uncharted Collection & Journey were in 2020, under the newly made Play At Home initiative.

Ratchet & Clank (2016) was the first game to be made free in March 2021, under the same program that they gave away Uncharted. Then in April, 10 games were made available. Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition, Abzu, Enter the Gungeon, Rez Infinite, Subnautica, The Witness, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Moss, Thumper and Paper Beast.

I forgot about Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank being given away. But yeah.

• Like 1

I might fire up my PS4 for the first time in months to check out that Nickelodeon fighting game.  Never felt an urge to buy it but hard to pass up a free fighting game that dives into some nostalgia.

• Like 1