DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/19/2022

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Dirty J. said:

The thought of Gargano potentially signing with AEW annoys me. 

His upside could end up being his absolute twerpishness. I could see The Young Bucks inning him into the Elite while Adam Cole can just get miffed and paranoid about his big dumb friends faction.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I would love it if this trend of "omg I can't believe this person kicked out" closeups would stop. It was beyond ridiculous with Ruby Soho's googily-eyed selling, and last night's multi-cut back and forth between Adam Cole and Britt Baker went from comical to sad right around camera cut #3.

Presentation-wise, it just looks silly. Especially when people are over-emoting in a way that no rational human does.

Now if the next time they go to a closeup after a close kickout and the person on offense proceeds to shake their head and beat the living heck out of their opponent for daring to kick out? I could get into that.

Just now, Stefanie the Human said:

I would love it if this trend of "omg I can't believe this person kicked out" closeups would stop. It was beyond ridiculous with Ruby Soho's googily-eyed selling, and last night's multi-cut back and forth between Adam Cole and Britt Baker went from comical to sad right around camera cut #3.

Presentation-wise, it just looks silly. Especially when people are over-emoting in a way that no rational human does.

Now if the next time they go to a closeup after a close kickout and the person on offense proceeds to shake their head and beat the living heck out of their opponent for daring to kick out? I could get into that.

Hunter's double agents are tearing this company apart from the inside out. ?

Just now, Jiji said:

Hunter's double agents are tearing this company apart from the inside out. ?

I KNEW IT! ?

Why you gotta be like that? Stop it. "I'm sorry, I love you," is the single worst thing to happen to wrestling fans in the last 13-14 years and I say that as somebody who loves Omega/Bucks hamming it up, but wish they'd do just an teeny bit less of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean I love goofy things in wrestling.

I really, really do.

But that?

... I can't do that.

To me what Cody's doing now isn't WWE stuff. It's Jeff Jarrett in TNA booked by Vince Russo and Dixie Carter-type stuff at this point. 

Nonetheless, I'm happy and excited to see the numbers grow this week. Even putting aside any Raw comparisons:

* AEW topped their TBS debut numbers

* No. 1 in the ratings for Wednesday

* Beat the NBA 

* Drew their best numbers in several months

As I recall, the last time AEW basically beat Raw in the ratings, it led to Big E cashing in MITB and winning the title. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

I generally agree on the "omg I can't believe this person kicked out", but the match was so heavy on melodrama/comedy that when Baker/Cole wrenched it up a notch it worked just fine for me.  A nice laugh in fact.  My only complaint was the (rarely ever good) 'stereo' aerial assault that had Baker clearly waiting far too long to catch Statlander.  But the closing stretch was a ton of fun.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Sammy must be really tight with TK if he can get a break, and head to Brazil with his bombshell.

Considering Cody and Moxley were back this week, it was probably a good week for him to take some time off. 

Mentioning of Adam Cole's eyes made me think of something else... did he have shoulder injuries in his past? Because they seem remarkably slender in proportion to the rest of his body (or more accurately, remarkably normal-sized when compared to the oversized pro wrestling standard.)

8 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

I enjoyed the Cody promo. I understand it is a thing where the fanbase soured on him. However, I don't 100% understand what is going on or why it happened. 

Performers like Cody and Bucks deserve all of the credit in the world for creating a ton of buzz and that buzz culminating in the creation of AEW.  But I wasn't part of that groundswell. I was never seeking out Bullet Club footage or watching Being the Elite. I'm a johnny come lately. Someone who jumped on the bandwagon once AEW started to regularly producing quality matches. And the Punk/Danielson signings were just the cherry on top. So I'm a little out of the loop. 

Do we have any diehard AEW fans on the board who can breakdown what is going on?

It's actually pretty simple, in my opinion.

Cody just takes himself too seriously. He could stand to lighten up a little. 

Edit: That being said, "Gunnar McGillibuddy" was pretty funny. Got a laugh out of me.

Edited by Gordlow
That being said...
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Britt making sexy pouty faces during that “zoom-in shocked kick out face” section saved that bit.

What got to me was Britt not just playing possum for a sec before no-selling the table bump. People in this fed are always going head-first through these things and here she takes a trust fall onto a piece of breakaway balsa wood and they treat it like something she wouldn't immediately get up from? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

So Lance Archer lands on his head and gets injured, is off TV for a few weeks, comes back looking physically larger and is put in an angle with the World Champ. Wrestles at the Dark tapings and looks tired. Then has a long match on TV with cardio machine Frankie Kazarian.

I think that as part of his injury recovery, he was ordered to stop working out for a while, and now he's come back and realised he's not in peak ring shape. So he went long with Kazarian basically as a "work your way into Main Event shape" match.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Shartnado said:

This was the first time I've actually heard a Cody promo in AEW other the promos before and after the Dustin match, but there was plenty going on. At face value, I think I can see where he is going with this, but I can't really tell if he's trolololling or not. What I can tell, however, is the load of BS with the "I was talking about all of you!" Cut the crap, Cody! You weren't talking about me! You don't even KNOW me! I just got here!

Been thinking about him last night soliciting credit for doing what Punk threatened to do and how that promo works in concert with that time he wanted credit as the man who built this bank. I offer this up for you to sample as a newcomer to Codyworld. Trollololol

The haters may not like it, but craft is occurring and it's hitting the way it's meant to. The best right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1