DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/19/2022

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

so next week.. which heel gets the cheap line pointing out the fact that it makes no sense to call a show in Cleveland in January by the name "Beach Break"?

(apologies if I missed that line already)

Yeah, it's 15 degrees outside right now!

Kind of a “meh” show for me overall.  Like some have said already.  There was something off about this show.  

Glad to see Mox is back to drink blood.  I recommend being at ringside for the Cole/Orange lights out match.  I expect that Britt might blade during that match.  For reasons.  Fuck that crotch sniffer in the crowd.

It was a strangely small venue.  But I kinda like that for a weekly show so that the bigger shows stand out.

PAC with the eye bandages… visually is reminding me of something I can’t quite place yet.  

That was a good questionable injury bump by Darby to get him out of the way for a bit.  Weird that I was less concerned for STING jumping off the stage than I was taking a drop kick into a flat back bump. The Acclaimed still have a ways to go.  But it is definitely on its way.

Whenever that JE/Ass Boys match happens… fast forward.  I’m leaning the same way on Archer.

I still love you AEW.  

I have written and re-written about 5 different times my thoughts on the Moxley and Cody promos.  You could write a small term paper close reading the two.  The conclusion I have is that a very masochistic side of me would love to see the two of them in a feud for the TNT Championship.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

PAC with the eye bandages… visually is reminding me of something I can’t quite place yet. 

There are a few things that come to mind (the game, Blind Man's Bluff, Neo having the bandage over his eyes after he is blinded by Smith in the last Matrix movie).  It is probably a mash-up of several things. PAC being blinded by Malakai has allowed him to see things clearer or some shit.

I am more intrigued by the Tarot Cards in the promo.  I need to take a better look at it to see which Major Arcana cards were in there.  I think that one was The Magician, but I don't remember the rest.

• Like 1

Really fun opener, OC was way more energetic than usual and just goofing around. I laughed out loud at some of his "double team" spots with Stat. I guess he wins the blow off next week since it wouldn't affect Cole's perfect record?

Loved the Spears squash, the little counter/spinnie bit they did was good as it shows he got caught instead of just kick, wham, GTS. I liked Punk's little Breakfast Club nod with the scarf.

Good promo from Cody, gave me some flashbacks of when he used to do this during Dynamite's first year almost every show. I just hate the whole "i won't turn heel" comments. Not sure who wins next week but I'm sure we'll see Sammy do some crazy shit.

Pillman continues to be the cringiest guy they feature on the main shows. I know the dude's heart is in it but he just looks like a dork most of the time.

Good guy Trent. I'm surprised at the video montage they did for the Roppongi/Bucks NJPW matches, feels like a waste that they never did this for Suzuki/Iishi/etc when they come in.

Didn't care much for Archer-Kaz, I feel it should have been a more dominant quick win for Archer if he's supposed to be going after Page. Crowd was dead until Hangman showed up which was an exciting little exchange, but everyone knows there's absolutely zero chance of Archer winning this. This is like the classic post title win Kane feud that most people in WWE used to get.

Didn't care much for the main event apart from Sting's table splash.

Edited by eikerir

15 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There are a few things that come to mind (the game, Blind Man's Bluff, Neo having the bandage over his eyes after he is blinded by Smith in the last Matrix movie).  It is probably a mash-up of several things. PAC being blinded by Malakai has allowed him to see things clearer or some shit.

I am more intrigued by the Tarot Cards in the promo.  I need to take a better look at it to see which Major Arcana cards were in there.  I think that one was The Magician, but I don't remember the rest.

The Bastard, The Dark Order, The Acclaimed, The Son of a Son of a Plumber, The Elite Hunter, The Cleaner, The Native Beast, The Librarian, The Magical Girl,The Redeemer, The Young Buck (which we saw twice for some reason), The Butcher, The Blade, The Bunny, The Queenslayer, The Living Dead Girl, The Concrete Rose, The Chairman, The Exalted One, The Mad King, The Natural, The World's Strongest Man, The Kentucky Gentleman, The American Dragon. and The Anxious Millennial Cowboy.

I might have missed a couple.

I dunno. Seems pretty random to me. Can't see any connection to AEW.

• Haha 6

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Possibly NEO.  My mind was trying to figure out which anime I saw 20 years ago that I couldn’t remember.  But The Matrix is so referential that you’re probably onto something.  

I know nothing about Tarot cards.  Does the card saying “justice” suggest anything?

I don't have much to say that hasn't been already mentioned.  One thing that did stand out to me is that Layla damn near decapitated Velvet and Stratlander with those forearms to the back of their heads.  Damn.

I'm happy with AEW's booking for the most part.  The one area that I feel they REALLY need to improve on is the timing/pacing of their shows and their production.  It's not that everything is bad.  For example, I loved the way that they let Mox do his return promo last night and didn't have anyone interrupt or try to make it into a story.  They just let their guy have his moment and left it at that.  Same thing with Punk's return.  On the bad end, I swear they ran a video package on Sammy/Cody during a picture-in-picture break.  You can't run a package that relies on the audio during a break.  Really, the biggest issue I have with their production is running too much of a match during a break.  Yeah, you can technically watch it, but it's like you're losing a chunk of the match's story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterien said:

Paraphrasing here but the best part of Cody’s promo was the line that he “got to do all the stuff punk said he would do (in 2011)” but it would’ve been ten times better if a) he was in a feud with punk b) it was any way relevant at all other than to big himself up. 

I think the key point there is he said something like “I’ve been saving this promo, but I might not get to use it,” basically playing into the possibility that he’s on his way out of the company.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Log said:

I don't have much to say that hasn't been already mentioned.  One thing that did stand out to me is that Layla damn near decapitated Velvet and Stratlander with those forearms to the back of their heads.  Damn.

I thought the same, she murdered Velvet with the first one.

Starks/Hobbs had a promo just before this and I half expected them to walk past Layla killing them and look interested.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

The RUMBLINGZ on Lio were that he asked for time off for family reasons back in December. But he worked NJPW this past weekend, and he has GCW coming up, so it seems like he’s ready to get back to work, but the Dante/Sydal/Lee promo last night sure seemed to indicate that he’s not expected back with AEW any time soon. So who knows what the story is there, for real.

My fantasy booking for the Dante/Team Taz issue has always been for Darius to come back as a member of Team Taz, and both promos last night make me think that might actually be happening.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Possibly NEO.  My mind was trying to figure out which anime I saw 20 years ago that I couldn’t remember.  But The Matrix is so referential that you’re probably onto something.  

I know nothing about Tarot cards.  Does the card saying “justice” suggest anything?

The card itself represents fairness, but now that you mention Justice it reminds me that the classic image of Lady Justice is also blindfolded like Pac is.

503-5035899_lady-justice-holding-the-sca

Too obvious not to be a connection, I suppose.

• Like 6

I cannot emphasize enough how great that Mox promo was. I loved the way he delivered "I'm thirsty"

Sting continues to be one of my favorite things about the show. I can only assume he's a freak of nature at this point. It feels so good to see him killing it out there, especially in DC (which was teed up so well by Caster with the Starrcade line)

• Like 4

I enjoyed the Cody promo. I understand it is a thing where the fanbase soured on him. However, I don't 100% understand what is going on or why it happened. 

Performers like Cody and Bucks deserve all of the credit in the world for creating a ton of buzz and that buzz culminating in the creation of AEW.  But I wasn't part of that groundswell. I was never seeking out Bullet Club footage or watching Being the Elite. I'm a johnny come lately. Someone who jumped on the bandwagon once AEW started to regularly producing quality matches. And the Punk/Danielson signings were just the cherry on top. So I'm a little out of the loop. 

Do we have any diehard AEW fans on the board who can breakdown what is going on?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

I enjoyed the Cody promo. I understand it is a thing where the fanbase soured on him. However, I don't 100% understand what is going on or why it happened. 

Performers like Cody and Bucks deserve all of the credit in the world for creating a ton of buzz and that buzz culminating in the creation of AEW.  But I wasn't part of that groundswell. I was never seeking out Bullet Club footage or watching Being the Elite. I'm a johnny come lately. Someone who jumped on the bandwagon once AEW started to regularly producing quality matches. And the Punk/Danielson signings were just the cherry on top. So I'm a little out of the loop. 

Do we have any diehard AEW fans on the board who can breakdown what is going on?

It's just a John Cena thing of, "let's boo the obvious babyface so he turns heel and does what we want him to do." The majority still cheer him by all accounts from people who are there live, but the people who boo him get more attention.

And for the people that do boo him, I think it's probably a thing where those fans are annoyed that he has his own little "Codyverse" where his storylines and feuds are bottled up, and of course there's some disdain for Brandi as well.

Who had Mox in the "first guy to say FUCK on TV" pool?  Somebody call Cosby so he can chide Mox for his filth flarn flarn filth.  "Yoooooooouuuu...cannot saaaayyyyyyyy.........FUCK........in front of people!"  I wrote this before I saw @J.T. 's post and I'm blown away that two old dudes in one thread are dropping Delirious references. 

LOL @ Cody cutting an aimless, meandering, smarky promo that accomplished nothing but back-patting and throwing subtle shade at Punk and Brody King.  Must feel great being a new guy in a company and having an EVP shit on you in week two.  Then he transitioned to inviting Sammy to cosplay Shawn/Razor.  The first half of the promo was not necessary and didn't accomplish a damn thing except feeding Cody's ego, which is pretty much his raison d'etre for the past 2+ years.  That fucking promo was more incomprehensible than Stevie Nicks.  

If you have to call it a pipe bomb, it's not a pipe bomb.  

So we lost FTR/Nightmare Family because of possibly 'Rona, and we get an overlong Archer/Kaz squash.  Oooof.  That was rough.  Archer's finisher setup special moves or whatever you'd call them, the chokeslam and the Hellacoaster, are far better than the Blackout.

LOVED Kings of the Black Throne getting a quick squash over those goobers.  PWG shoutout was nice, too.  Can someone tell me what PAC said at the end?

Poor Cokedick Ronnie.

Wardlow is going to finally get fed up with MJF's shit and it's going to be wonderful.

Someone please tell Chris Justformen to stop trying to make "GFY" happen.  

"You think Bob Orton get off the road after 8 days and tended cattle?"

"Dees leetle keed working for meester eh-steenk."

Awesome promo by Punk.

Followup on yesterday's height debate: Cole is probably 5'9", 10 at most and Stat is overinflating her height, maybe she's like 5'7".

Rocky treating Brandon nicely was hilarious.

"We're black and white and don't need facepaint."  LOOOOOL

I spent the first 15 minutes of the show dismayed that they sold so few tix at the big DC arena (used to be the MCI Center) that they had to curtain it off before I remembered they're running the smaller place ? 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Cody was very loved for the first year of AEW, one of the top faces easily.

The hate for him slowwwwly started when he went over Ogogo, the whole feud with the Factory really sucked and people started cooling off on Cody big time. But then the Malakai/Andrade feuds really pushed the hate for him over the top since he ended up "winning" those rivalries over two guys most hardcore fans love.

39 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

When The Elite were making waves around the world, Cody was the odd man out. Kenny, the Bucks, the then-aligned Kota Ibushi, even Marty Scurll were all considered to be Meltzer-approved workrate geniuses, standard bearers of a new style of wrestling. Cody was putting together three-star matches and relying on storytelling techniques and heel tactics that read waaay more WWE than anybody else in the group. This was referenced plenty, particularly when Cody was trying to split up Bullet Club and feuding with IWGP Champ Kenny.

However, when AEW was being founded, Cody was viewed as a boon because he was a legitimizing presence. He could sweet-talk the network. He looked and sounded professional, his family and ex-WWE credentials were viewed as a means to court casual fans when the only other mainstream stars were older guys like Jericho and JR. As the AEW roster has grown, Cody's early advantages are diluted by every big-deal ex-WWE signing, see: last night's CM Punk-based inferiority complex

The main reason people are turned on Cody was... ok, let's be honest, it's the neck tattoo. And what that neck tattoo symbolizes is that Cody possesses unique, visable characteristics that are fundamentally out of step with what AEW presents itself as. Nepotism involving his family members, politicking his way into title matches, getting to book himself in his own little world, the sheer self-importance of everything he's done, his style of wrestling, his being on a reality TV show - these are all things that the fanbase associates with WWE. They are, in many cases, the reasons for the problems that make AEW fans not watch WWE. If Cody can be all these things, if these WWE-like traits help Cody succeed, then, on some level, AEW is not the Eden the fans wish it to be. His shtick represents an existential threat to AEW's philosophy and identity. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Can someone explain to me, point by point (or as much as possible), what Cody's promo was about? I understand that AEW rewards smart fans and has opened "the forbidden door" but it kind of alienates newer people like myself who are coming back into the fold for the first time in years. If I wanted rambling shooty stuff, I would listen to podcasts.

You know what it reminded me of? Being in a small bar where a band is playing but no one is paying much attention to them because they aren't that good despite all their showmanship tryhard attempts at gaining the audience's interest. Then at some point the singer goes on a rant about how it takes a lot of balls to get up on stage and that if it wasn't for bands like them playing in obscurity to evolve into bigger acts there would be no scene whatsoever, and that they're entitled to respect and attention just by virtue of performing live. The audience, who were at first indifferent, now think they're a bunch of knobs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'll have more to say later, but this was one of the worst crowds they've had. You had the really shitty fan at the start, the absolute worst signs ever on the TV side that held them up almost all night that were just dumb inside jokes, being dead silent at times, being really loud at other random times, etc. Maybe not worst crowd... Just the weirdest.

I don't know if there's still tickets but I was considering going to Rampage tomorrow since my schedule opened up.  But after seeing the crowds I'm not so sure.  Maybe with it being mostly matches it might work out better but I won't know how I'll feel until tomorrow.

• Like 1