DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/19/2022

Dolfan in NYC

No real wrestling on the show except for the first and last match.  Really flew by.  Felt like a really good episode of Elevation.  Sting is an imspiration for those us in the demographic that doesn't count in the ratings.  HERE HERE, OLD MAN!  We born also in the 60s SALUTE YOU!

• Like 10

I loved Punk squashing Spears and The Kings of the Black Throne squashing the Varsity Blondes. I'm slightly surprised Julia hasn't turned yet. 

I'm surprised at how long Archer/Kazarian went. It was nice to see Jake back. 

I thought Moxley's return was a great way to start the show. 

Overall, another fun two hours that flew by.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It was about them. They're part of Cody's Royal Family. 

How ignorant of me.

Prediction for next week? 

Wardlow and MJF segment was fantastic. I appreciate that Max doesn't fake tan his hands. This has to hold out until Wardlow at least wins the revolution ladder match (and so much for fewer ladder matches when we'll get two in a little over a month). 

I don't know what to make of that Cody promo. He was just all over the place and I couldn't tell if he was baiting the fans, stroking his ego, trying to go full smark asshole, or what.

Adam Cole is ridiculously over and yet I just can't get into him. I hate the term "vanilla midget" but there are just so many guys out there his size who are more interesting. I guess people like chanting along with his theme song? It seems like there's some form of No DQ match every other week in AEW. Cole and OC are two people I have no interest seeing in such a match. Also, Britt can go through that brutal match with Rosa but get completely incapacitated by a simple table bump?

I think Serena Deeb is the best woman on the roster right now.

The goths squashing the jocks was nice. I'm actually glad Pac isn't turning as a feud between he and Black is much more interesting. That match is going to rule.

Spears getting squashed was what should have happened, though I think Archer/Kaz should have been a lot quicker and more decisive.

Remember when everyone was clutching their pearls about everything Sting did in WWE and now he's doing dives onto tables?

21 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I would pay an absurd amount of money to see Sting versus Blue Panther on pay-per-view.

Dr. Wagner Jr. is going to be on an upcoming GCW event. Maybe they can open the forbidden door for that?

Did Sting and La Parka ever wrestle in WCW?

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 6

I know we're getting a JE-Ass Boys match, but I'm ready for some Christian. Six man tag or (ideally) Christian vs An Ass Boy please. 

Yeah, logical next step is the trios match. I'm cool with it. Great line by Christian on Billy never getting that big win. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I would pay an absurd amount of money to see Sting versus Blue Panther on pay-per-view.

AEW needs to bring in Negro Casas for a brief shot so he can

1) have matches with fellow old men

2) give Chris Jericho tips on aging gracefully

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

I don't know what to make of that Cody promo. He was just all over the place and I couldn't tell if he was baiting the fans, stroking his ego, trying to go full smark asshole, or what.

Yes.

It was mostly great, mostly cornball, way too meandering, but still entirely captivating. I think they're gonna get Sammy back on his horse and continue to build up their new guys like Page over Danielson but Cody brings so much more to the table and is on fire rn. 

• Like 6

This is King of the Ring '99 erasure. 

Yet he still managed to be eating a meatball sandwich at WWF New York two years later, both sucking and blowing at the same time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Loved this show.  Great promos, great squashes, fun everywhere.  This thread suggests Kazarian-Archer is being criminally underrated, so too the aftermath with the Hangman.  Felt to me like a hard hitting war out there.  I dug everything about that segment.  And pretty much this entire show. 

Ass Boys rise up and takeover!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

A Lights Out match coming so soon after Anna Jay/Tay Conti vs. The Bunny/Penelope Cruz Street Fight last month which used barbed wire and thumbtacks. I've also just remembered the deathmatch between Chris Jericho/Nick Gage using lightubes and a glass pane.

Edited by The Natural

Another very loaded episode. A lot to keep up with, maybe too much again.

Opener was great, Statlander’s 450 was amazing, I knew they weren’t going to have Cole take a pin but why not have Stat beat Britt? Like they said later, it’s not much of a feud when Best Friends lose every match. Also, I get that the whole face heel structure is passé but Adam Cole’s angle is a face angle.

Loved the Punk-Spears squash, appropriate for the storyline. I know the crowd was pretty dead but holy shit you could hear crickets for Spears entrance.

The Archer-Kaz match was too long and plodding, and honestly I’m not sure it really did much to build Archer.

Deeb/Blue wasn’t a total squash which was a good thing. Deeb is so awesome.

House of Black/Varsity Blondes was a mess, but the PAC video was badass.

Main event was fantastic, I honestly thought maybe they’d let Acclaimed get a quick pin on Darby and keep this feud going, but Acclaimed still come out looking good. Sting’s table dive was a total holy fuck moment.

I have no idea what the hell Cody was going on about and I’ll complain again about too much smarky stuff in promos/angles. Should be a good match though, hope Sammy wins.

The Gunn Club, Rappongi Vice, Hirsch turn, and Dante/Moriarty/Sydal backstage stuff was good. Probably best to have the Hirsch turn be away from the ring.

Couldn’t hear what Mox reacted to, all I heard was a boo. Great promo though!

I am already fucking sick of the Hook hype after 2 matches. 

They set up a bunch of good looking matches for the next couple of weeks and forwarded some angles. I’m already having a hard time recalling everything that happened.

• Like 7