DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NFL PLAYOFFS: DIVISIONALS

Dolfan in NYC

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A lot of people suggested Buffalo should have made them return to burn a few seconds. Easy to say now though.

I mean, if Buffalo had went for 2, they could have been up 37-33

or they could have lost 36-35

The Chiefs also left 4 points on the board with the Butker misses, without getting into the 3rd down playcall up 23-21.

What a bummer. Both games today were fucking great. But man... 13 seconds. How do you let them get that? They played some full on hail mary defense for no real reason, knowing a field goal would tie it. Sure play two way deep safeties but don't send five that far back. The extreme conservative defensive calls cost them that game. Even before today I would have been pissed if The Giants hired Leslie Fraiser. But after today, pffftt I will riot.

One of the best QB performances ever, and THE best WR playoff performance ever... and the lead with 13 seconds. And they lost. Rough one for Bills fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A lot of people suggested Buffalo should have made them return to burn a few seconds. Easy to say now though.

I saw people theorizing they should have done the squib kick. Problem with that is the clock doesn't start until KC touches the ball, and if they are properly coached, they grab the ball and take a knee immediately. which takes one second off the clock, so they still have enough time to run two plays, call two timeouts and kick the field goal.

13 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I saw people theorizing they should have done the squib kick. Problem with that is the clock doesn't start until KC touches the ball, and if they are properly coached, they grab the ball and take a knee immediately. which takes one second off the clock, so they still have enough time to run two plays, call two timeouts and kick the field goal.

Yeah defense should not allow 60 yards over less than 13 seconds.  Just an awful way for them to lose.

• Like 1

Nobody is going to feel bad for Tom Brady, obviously, but damn that is two of the most heartbreaking loses I can remember in playoffs. And that coming off yesterday's more standard heartbreaking finishes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dewar said:

They needed to kick it high to around the 10 yard line, that gives the Bills coverage team time to get down field and makes KC either return it or fair catch deep in their own territory.

• Like 1

Final note, only 4 times in the Super Bowl era has a QB completed 70%+ of his passes, throwing for 300+ yards, and rushing for 50+ as well.  

Three of those are Josh Allen.  Including yesterday.

The other one?  Patrick Mahomes.  Also yesterday. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 11:22 PM, hammerva said:

Apparently it has happened before as the Falcons and Browns were #1 seeds in 1980

EDIT:  This is what happens when you get your history from Rich Eisen  

Sigh ... we never made it to the "Siper Bowl"

Well, Eisen did go to Northwestern ...

That ending made me think you tweak OT rules for the playoffs. Make it so each team gets the ball at least once no matter who scores first, FG or TD... doesn't matter. Put the ball in each QB's hands and give them a chance to even it up. If you're still tied after the first OT, then go to sudden death.

• Like 3

I wonder if the Bills would've been better off just playing press coverage on that last drive and holding/tackling the receivers at the line. Burn a few seconds and you get, what, a 5 yard penalty? That play that Hill had with the wedge blockers was just nuts. He looks like he's shot out of a cannon every time he gets his hands on the ball.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I wonder if the Bills would've been better off just playing press coverage on that last drive and holding/tackling the receivers at the line. Burn a few seconds and you get, what, a 5 yard penalty? That play that Hill had with the wedge blockers was just nuts. He looks like he's shot out of a cannon every time he gets his hands on the ball.

Yeah, everyone holding on that 1st down would have just gained KC 5 yards and take at least 5 seconds off the clock, they could have even done it on 2nd down.

6 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Yeah, everyone holding on that 1st down would have just gained KC 5 yards and take at least 5 seconds off the clock, they could have even done it on 2nd down.

That's right, and game can't end on a defensive penalty so you have to play one legitimate down and at that point KC is on their own 35 after the two 5 yard penalties. Live and die on a hail mary. That'd be something the Pats would've pulled out.

Saying they should have kicked it into the field of play isn't exactly hindsight. Romo was saying it in the moment and said he thought it was a mistake.

Holding the receivers at the line is brilliant and exactly what should have been done. Now is that great sportsmanship? No. But well within the rule. What feels better, playing "right" or winning?

Yeah overtime needs to be changed. I just don't understand how so many of the decision makers are okay with the current format. You spend 60 minutes fighting back and forth. Both teams just pouring their heart out playing out of their minds. All of that relegated o a moot point based on how a coin flip goes. (out of the last 1 1 playoff OT games, 10 were won on the opening possession). You don't need to get cutesy with new rules. Just tweak it wo where the other team gets the ball no matter what. If KC scores a TD, cool. Now Buffalo gets the opportunity to tie it to keep the game going. OR if they score a TD, they can try to end it with a 2pt conversion. Much more drama and strategy involved there. keep the exact same rules. Just let the second team posses it no matter what. Get rid of the touchdown game over garbage.

• Like 1

Mahomes may have won, but Allen made a case for himself as the best QB in football with that game.  It's probably hyperbole and benefitting as being the most recent game I've watched, but Josh Allen played absolutely out of his mind and almost won the game for Buffalo on sheer will alone and honestly, if he had gotten the ball back, he wouldve.

• Like 4

The problem with "give both teams the ball" is we know exactly what would've happened. KC would've scored just like they did. Buffalo would've scored. KC would've scored again and won because they won the coin toss and got the second chance first.

The only "fair" way is playing the entire extra quarter, but nobody wants that because asking teams to play an extra fifteen minutes (in January, possibly in well below freezing temperatures) is too risky.

I hate the OT rules, but I don't think most fixes actually fix anything.

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The problem with "give both teams the ball" is we know exactly what would've happened. KC would've scored just like they did. Buffalo would've scored. KC would've scored again and won because they won the coin toss and got the second chance first.

The only "fair" way is playing the entire extra quarter, but nobody wants that because asking teams to play an extra fifteen minutes (in January, possibly in well below freezing temperatures) is too risky.

Would a penalty kick situation work?

Game is tied and we go to OT.

KC get the ball first. They score a TD.
BUF get their chance and they also score a TD.

Now we go to penalty FGs.

Both teams kick to the same end.
Start at 35 yards and each team takes a kick.
If they both make it them move to 40 yards.
Then 45.
Then just keep taking shots from 50.

Eventually someone misses/falls short/gets blocked and we have a winner.

Edited by L_W_P

No one wants to see kickers decide playoff games in that manner.  And the networks damned sure do not want to see Mahomes or Rodgers or Brady or whoever sitting on the sideline while imitation football players decide playoff games.

I am one of the only people in the world that likes the college OT rules but Fowler is right, that game would have gone on for 7 hours with the way the defenses couldn't stop anyone by the end.

33 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

really the only way to do 'fair' sudden death is to either have the game end with the team that lost the toss scoring a TD after the other team scored a FG, or the team that won the toss getting a defensive stop after scoring, which depending on if the home team wins or not, is either a thrilling ending or an anticlimatic ending for the fans

Barring extra points after a point (or just allowing 1/2 extra points for the entirety of overtime) could at least wrap things up where one team wins because the other muffed a two point conversion

I love the college rules (at least until they changed it to just doing 2-point conversions after a couple OTs) but it's still gives the winner of the coin toss a big advantage (something like 57% of the time the team that goes second wins, because they know what they need to win.)

There's a lot of ideas out there, but it's really hard to come up with an OT system that isn't just playing full quarters or gives a huge advantage to whoever wins a coin toss.

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

*spit-take*

Yeah, Barnwell pointed that out in his column today too. It's great because it both mocks the Cowboys and reenforces just how fucking amazing that drive was.