DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/17 - 1/23/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Maryse was right about one thing - nobody wants to see that mixed tag match.

With Sheldon and Cedric continuing to attack Lashley and still refer to themselves as The Hurt Business, could that be pointing to MVP turning on Lashley at the Rumble?

The Liv Morgan/Bianca vs Doudrop/Becky Lynch was the number two ladies match in the RAWdarkELEVATiON wrestle wad- behind Ruby Soho vs Kenzie Paige, though Liv Morgan looked slightly better than Ruby Soho tonight.

46 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So is both Rollins and Reigns heels in this "feud"?   I can't really see Rollins being a face anymore especially with this gimmick.  

SD crowds seemed to be siding with Reigns, though he was definitely still acting like a heel.  I assume he'll be the heel in the Brock match.

That Roderick Strong/....Gunther? match was pretty good.  Ivy Nile vs Kay Lee Ray edges out Leila Hirsch vs Katarina Perez and Skye Blue vs Robyn Renegade in the NXTdark Ladies wrestling wrestle batch.  Ivy Nile is getting there.

• Like 1

I hope WALTER is getting paid a massive contract to work say Rumble to Mania as Gunther, and then GTFO and go home.

I understand the name change if WALTER refused to sign over trademark rights (as he should being an INDEPENDANT CONTRACTOR)and so WWE have handed this to him.

A quick Google search kills Gunther Stark dead on arrival so I wonder if they are going to present this as GUNTHER ?

Ivy/KLR was decent. Ivy is coming along nicely.

Creed Bros vs. Briggs/Jensen was fun. I want Creeds to take the whole tournament. 

Legado being out first round sucks though it is nice to see Escobar finally going after the NXT title.

Strong/WALTER was good stuff. I hate the unnecessary name change to Gunther. I do kind of hope they at least keep it at that. WALTER with a last would feel odd at this point.

Based on this week, I am not surprised they don't call her something like Tokyo Rose or some Pokémon character they find opening a pack

If this is what they thought of WALTER, I can only imagine what was the idea of for Ali that was the final straw

Edited by hammerva

Show was decent.  I expected to swear off 2.0 by now, but Strong-Walter lured me back in and the match delivered.  Not really interested in too many of Bron's potential opponents, but Escobar-Brekker has me intrigued.  Too bad Bron probably isn't going to lose his first feud.  Escobar has more potential than just cannon fodder.  He should be on the main roster and, instead, I expect he's probably going to fall into the same limbo that Strong, Gargano, and Ciampa are in.  Hilarious that LA Knight and Cameron Grime are the grizzled vets of NXT now.

Lot of "new" faces tonight.  Anyone know who the big dude that looked like Brody is?  For a second, I thought Sylvester Terkay was back in WWE.  Wasn't familiar with either guy Duke Hudson jumped, and didn't recognize him at first either.  Sarray's repacking is odd.  Vince finally watched Sailor Moon?

The segment with Kacey, Kayden, and the not-Smoking Gunns was bad.  Am I the only one that thought the nervous guy was going to come out?  I guess that's not where they're going, but I briefly thought that was going to be the payoff to the segment.  

Solo Sikoa is an intimdating-looking dude.  Looking forward to him and Boa throw bombs at each other.

Was surprised to see KLR lose.  WO recap says Mandy was on the apron distracting her, but I missed that, i guess.

Walter match was good.  Name change is needless.  I guess WWE tries to lock down rights to gimmick names in perpetuity (or at least a lot longer than the person involves expects to be on the roster)?  I feel like the solution is to negotiate a deal where the rights revert back to talent when talent is released, but I can see why the company may not want to agree to that (don't want to make "Grayson Waller" a star, then see him take the name to AEW.  Could potentially lead to rights issues with other properties).  I assume Walter didn't want to sign over the rights to his name.  Makes sense, but he'd make more money if they could sell "Walter" merch instead of "Gunther" merch.

I don't mind renaming him, but "Gunther" isn't an interesting imo.  Hilarious that the name they trademarked belongs to a Nazi war criminal.  No one in the WWE marketing dept. knows what Google is?

Walter and Bron/Escobar will probably keep me tuning in for a little while longer.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti