DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 1/14/2022

Dolfan in NYC

That was a amazingly fun hour of wrestling.

Loved the opener, Trent and Cole didn’t have to go as hard as they did but I’m glad they did because that was the definition of “a banger”. Trent specially was really laying in all of his shots tonight and the guys were just killing each other all match. Predictable finish but good stuff here.

They did Andrew Everett dirty, at least let the guy hit one big move before being put down. Good little promo from Spears afterwards tho.

Main event was lots of fun, all well executed and easy to follow. I think I’m going to enjoy this title reign more than The Lucha Bros one because I felt most of their matches were a big mess night after night. This was  a fun face vs face match and they really got me with that 2.9999 kick out from Jungle Boy near the end. Loved the pre match promo with Jungle Boy almost breaking a few times due to Silver’s absurdity.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

Cole vs Trent?: Cole does a lot of stuff I like but I tend to not love the finishing stretches. The neck targeting was all good. I think he and Trent were pretty good at making their spots slightly look less like spots and more organic (like 15% but it was still welcome). It's such a weird thing for me but the muscle definition does kind of bug me a bit just because it creates visual dissonance. You can't deny what your eyes see in a business that's about creating suspension of disbelief. If it was played into so that Cole was just savvy and he used a bunch of counters or used his opponent's strength against him more or literally anything to explain it, it'd be one thing. I know we don't need six more pages of it. Just if you have something that'll raise eyebrows, you have to deal with it in a creative, narratively driven way. That's on the announcers. Or I don't know, hit the gym more? Neck targeting was good though. I liked the fact he was punching the neck instead of the face. Trent? with his current look could be Miro's minion. Shame they already did that thing with Chuck Taylor and Miro.

Spears vs Everett: Kind of wanted to see what Everett could do but he got Kofi'ed. It was a good spot though. If Punk was against Everett, it would have taken him 15 minutes to barely win. Promo was ok. I liked Wardlow giving him a tepid thumbs up after the win.

Statlander/Velvet/Hirsch vs Ford/Bunny/Rose: Heel side worked together very well here. Statlander dropping her partners on people is always a good act. Velvet's a solid FIP. In general I like how there's some nuance to the jerk that Hirsch is portraying. She was different when teaming with just Velvet (still a jerk but less standoffish) on Dark than when Statlander's in the mix. I don't think they can milk this too much longer before it comes to a head though. I honestly think Nyla's great. I heard someone complaining about how she worked big or her execution last time I brought her up on PWO and I just don't see it. Maybe she improved a ton in 2021 (which feels late in life for such an improvement) but I just think her character work is top notch now that she's able to be something more than just a grumpy monster. She has an exuberant joy that bleeds through while she's still a dominant physical force.

JE vs Dark Order: Reynolds and Silver are really good at sneaking their double teams into the match in places where they make sense and then going back to more standard offense. It's very welcome and stands out in the division. They're smarter than they get credit for. I have no idea who trained Jungle Boy (google told me Marella and Janella) but he really understands how to work from underneath in a tag setting while still being super over. He's always trying to swipe back and get shots in from underneath even if he gets cuts off and sells constantly. That's how you get over to a crowd that you're worth cheering for even during a face in peril segment. Not passive, constantly trying, constantly fighting. It's a huge star quality. They should have built to a straightforward Luchasaurus vs Silver pairing here and they never quite did. Fans would have gone nuts for it. I liked the structure in general with Reynolds getting an early hot tag out of the JE shine since it was straight up face vs face. Finishing stretch was ok, though everything on the show is a bit too kickout heavy towards the end. I like the idea that they had to take Silver out before being able to truly pin Reynolds, which is very 95 AJPW tag but not always so overt.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I loved that Acclaimed video, the rap was a solid (for wrasslin’) diss track but the video itself was pure gold. Bowens was clowning so hard, when he did the coffin drop into the snow and then made a snow angel I laughed out loud.

Opener was hot, good hard hitting back and forth, building to them throwing bombs at each other. Glad the shenanigans happened at the end. That match went 11-12 minutes and it was pure action.

I ffwd through Spears talking. He does nothing for me.

Trios women’s match was great and my girl Allie got the pin! Great way to take advantage of how limber Penelope Ford is with that submission. And time for the Hirsch-Statlander angle to move to the next phase.

The Lethal-Starks confrontation was awesome and Lethal was dropping some truth bombs. That’s going to be a good match.

I’m fine with ATT and Cody, I guess.

Main was fantastic because of how great Silver and Reynolds are as a tag team. Their tandem finishing sequence and that 2.99999 had me ready to jump off the couch! And that 4-person corner move (whoever called it Total Extinction gets points for that) would only have been more awesome if Luchasaurus had fallen backwards a little more. Both teams got over with that match. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Before he came to AEW, I probably hadn't seen Jay Lethal since 2009 or so. I never would have guessed that he'd gotten this good, at everything.

Then he does his finisher...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Spears’ cut this fucking never ending promo!  Seriously, after the first point he made, I was like, “nice one!”. But then he kept going.  Every time I thought he was finished, he started a new paragraph.  But you can’t expect a guy with 16 gimmicks to understand that less is more.

I loved that diss track and video.  I still have “two grown men and they goin’ through a goth phase” stuck in my head.  Loved the Jackass style intro.  Should have gone a step further and sampled the Jackass theme but I understand how that wouldn’t be cost effective.

That spider crab was disgustingly excellent.

• Like 3

This was a great episode of Rampage. just wrestling heavy. All three matches were tight as fuck.

Adam Cole as Mr Friday Night is pretty cool guys been delivery. He's had great opponents Atlas last week and Trent this week. AEW has a stacked roster.

The womens 6man was also really good. I'm liking this Layla Hirsh heel turn they are building towards.

And what an awesome Main. Those guys busted their asses off and it showed. Yeah I had a fun time watching this match and show.

Also The Acclaimed are a great heel team. They deserve a run with the straps. We got what 2 months to Revolution and I think Acclaim talented enough to keep the build towards the match with Darby and Sting entertaining for that length of time.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1