DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, First Quarter 2022

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Arnold Allen just went full button-masher.

Arnold Allen thought process: I could fight with a modicum and semblance of sound strategy OR I could just come out and try to pull my fist through the back of this man's skull.

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

As if Aspinall didn't look enough like Frank Mir already. What a ridiculous card.

I mean I watched the highlight video the UFC posted regarding UFC 38 (which had the infamous Mir vs. Ian Freeman fight). A straight armlock is definitely something out of 2002.

Tom Aspinall absolutely dominated. 

Curtis Blaydes fights next week, so we'll see what the path is for him depending on how that goes. Between emerging Tuivasa, Aspinall, Blaydes, and Gane there's some really fun and dynamic fights at the top end of Heavyweight.

There's no update on UFC fixing shit with Ngannou is there?

Just now, jaedmc said:

Tom Aspinall absolutely dominated. 

Curtis Blaydes fights next week, so we'll see what the path is for him depending on how that goes. Between emerging Tuivasa, Aspinall, Blaydes, and Gane there's some really fun and dynamic fights at the top end of Heavyweight.

There's no update on UFC fixing shit with Ngannou is there?

I mean Ngannou just had knee surgery like yesterday or the day before yesterday. So he might not be back for a minute anyway.

FOPatn9VcAIvMue?format=jpg&name=large

I was concerned for how long Luanna Carolina eyes open was down for like Jessica Eye was from Valentina Shevchenko's Head Kick and Francis Ngannou's Uppercut with Hammer Fist Uppercut vs. Alistair Overeem. Ditto for Jorge Masvidal's running knee and follow up punches to Ben Askren.

This seems like the right time for Glory, and by extension Badr Hari, to just go away. I'm not blaming the whole situation on Hari and his fans, as the Polish seemed as accountable or even more so, but the dude has not won a fight in forever and is just a magnet for bad shit to happen. 

Let Rico and all of the decent fighters in Glory sign with One, transition to mma or just go back to regional kickboxing. It's sad to see the fall of Glory as when they first came about, I was so hyped for the spiritual successor of K-1. It just never panned out the way we'd all hoped. 

20 hours ago, Setsuna said:

This seems like the right time for Glory, and by extension Badr Hari, to just go away. I'm not blaming the whole situation on Hari and his fans, as the Polish seemed as accountable or even more so, but the dude has not won a fight in forever and is just a magnet for bad shit to happen. 

Let Rico and all of the decent fighters in Glory sign with One, transition to mma or just go back to regional kickboxing. It's sad to see the fall of Glory as when they first came about, I was so hyped for the spiritual successor of K-1. It just never panned out the way we'd all hoped. 

That seemed to be pretty premeditated as well. A bunch of crazy shirtless dudes jumping out of the crowd looking like they're ready to burn the goddamn venue down seems to be a telltale sign something is about to go down. How as a company do you not see that coming?

Hell, the UFC had a fighter that was either connected to some Polish hooligans or was being threatened by some Polish hooligans not too long ago. I think just pulled him from the card and put him on another card. How does a company based in the US have a better feel on stuff like that than a company that has ran exclusively in Western Europe (specifically Belgium and the Netherlands) for almost three years? I get they don't run as many cards as the UFC does, but you have to have some preventative measures. Otherwise, something worse will likely happen.

Anyway, last I heard, Verhoeven has no interest in doing MMA again or at least full time. That was like a month or two back. I mean he probably feels he's past the age where he can make a seamless transition and has too much mileage on his body to learn and do something that's basically completely new to him even though he has some experience. That said, as a heavyweight, he can make the jump now and be a top 10 guy no problem. Of course, the bigger issue is the financial compensation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That seemed to be pretty premeditated as well. A bunch of crazy shirtless dudes jumping out of the crowd looking like they're ready to burn the goddamn venue down seems to be a telltale sign something is about to go down. How as a company do you not see that coming?

Hell, the UFC had a fighter that was either connected to some Polish hooligans or was being threatened by some Polish hooligans not too long ago. I think just pulled him from the card and put him on another card. How does a company based in the US have a better feel on stuff like that than a company that has ran exclusively in Western Europe (specifically Belgium and the Netherlands) for almost three years? I get they don't run as many cards as the UFC does, but you have to have some preventative measures. Otherwise, something worse will likely happen.

Anyway, last I heard, Verhoeven has no interest in doing MMA again or at least full time. That was like a month or two back. I mean he probably feels he's past the age where he can make a seamless transition and has too much mileage on his body to learn and do something that's basically completely new to him even though he has some experience. That said, as a heavyweight, he can make the jump now and be a top 10 guy no problem. Of course, the bigger issue is the financial compensation. 

Even if not pre-meditated in the sense that the group 100% knew they were going to bum rush the ring, if you knew anything about the fighters and their fanbase you had to have been worried about the potential of it happening. I'm sure Glory execs were in the back and watching that crowd with fingers crossed, but that's not good enough. They deserve whatever fallout comes. 

And yeah, UFC just pulled the fight and re-scheduled rather than risk it. Glory didn't have that option but they backed themselves into a corner and didn't appear to have any plan IF the crowd turned out the way it did. 

• Like 1

FNbmohDVQAAB_rL.jpg?1646866309

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 33: Blaydes vs. Daukaus 
March 26, 2022
Columbus, OH (Nationwide Arena)

Curtis Blaydes (259) vs. Chris Daukaus (243) - Blaydes, TKO (punches), R2 (0:17)
Joanne Wood (125) vs. Alexa Grasso (125) - Grasso, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:57)
Matt Brown (170.5) vs. Bryan Barberena (170.5) - Barberena, DEC (split)
Askar Askarov (126) vs. Kai Kara-France (125.5) - Kara-France, DEC (unanimous)
Neil Magny (170) vs. Max Griffin (171) - Magny, DEC (split)
Marc Diakiese (155) vs. Viacheslav Borschev (155.5) - Diakiese, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Sara McMann (135) vs. Karol Rosa (135) - McMann, DEC (unanimous)
Chris Gutiérrez (135) vs. Danaa Batgerel (136) - Gutiérrez, TKO (strikes), R2 (2:34)   
Aliaskhab Khizriev (185) vs. Denis Tiuliulin (185.5) - Khizriev, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:58)
Jennifer Maia (126) vs. Manon Fiorot (125.5) - Fiorot, DEC (unanimous)
Matheus Nicolau (126) vs. David Dvořák (125.5) - Nicolau, DEC (unanimous)   
Luis Saldaña (145) vs. Bruno Souza (144) - Saldaña, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Chris Gutiérrez
Performance of the Night: Curtis Blaydes 
Fight of the Night: Matt Brown vs. Bryan Barberena

Rating: 677,000 viewers

14 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Diakiese really kicking this show off with a bang.... Feels like the anti-london show.

I'm catching up on the DVR, but the prelims weren't bad.

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: ONE X

Reveal hidden contents

Just skipping my way through parts 1 & 2 right now and holy fucking shit this uppercut from hell...

Spoiler

It's timestamped. Lobo's soul left his body.