DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, First Quarter 2022

Elsalvajeloco

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 32: Kattar vs. Chikadze
January 15, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Calvin Kattar (146) vs. Giga Chikadze (146) - Kattar, DEC (unanimous)
Jake Collier (264.5) vs. Chase Sherman (250) - Collier, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:26)
Brandon Royval (125.5) vs. Rogério Bontorin (125.5) - Royval, DEC (split)
Katlyn Chookagian (126) vs. Jennifer Maia (126) - Chookagian, DEC (unanimous)
Dakota Bush (155.5) vs. Viacheslav Borshchev (155) - Borshchev, TKO (strikes), R1 (3:47)
Bill Algeo (145) vs. Joanderson Brito (145.5) - Algeo, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Jamie Pickett (184.5) vs. Joseph Holmes (185.5) - Pickett, DEC (unanimous)
Ramiz Brahimaj (170.5) vs. Court McGee (170) - McGee, DEC (unanimous)
Brian Kelleher (145) vs. Kevin Croom (144.5) - Kelleher, DEC (unanimous)
TJ Brown (155) vs. Charles Rosa (156) - Brown, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Viacheslav Borshchev
Performance of the Night: Jake Collier
Fight of the Night: Calvin Kattar vs. Giga Chikadze

Rating: 482,000 viewers

Calvin Kattar last fought Max Holloway on the 16th of January 2021 in the worst MMA beating I've ever seen with 10-7 rounds. 15th January 2022, he fights Giga Chikadze. I have to think Calvin will never be the same, the damage he took in that thrashing was tough to watch.

Edited by The Natural

45 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Sheesh this is an ugly card to come back to after multiple weeks off. Main event could be a massacre. Definitely gonna watch this one with my finger on the skip button Sunday. 

To be fair, looking at Tapology, there were like 15 bouts that fell through and some of the replacement bouts were put on other cards just because the changes were so short notice. I mean I do think it's better that fighters get an extra week or two as opposed to much of 2020 and 2021 were people are fighting on 1-3 days notice and THEN have to cut weight. 

But yeah, Collier vs. Sherman is a rough one. However, that's probably going to be a quick finish if anything.

• Elsalvajeloco changed the title to MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, First Quarter 2022
23 minutes ago, twiztor said:

does this mean we're not getting individual event threads? i don't care as much about the loss of Fight Night ones, but i already miss the monthly ufc ppv threads.

Yeah, let me explain. 

All the stuff that's free (well technically ESPN+ and Fight Pass ain't free but you get my point) and airing on TV or streaming would go in here. That would go for Bellator, Rizin, Invicta, Bareknuckle FC, LFA, CFFC, PFL, One FC, KSW, and all the UFC Fight Night cards. If the card is upcoming (as in seven days or less), going on, or just happened, this would be the thread. In April, I will probably start a new one and close this one.

All the news not regarding an event that is happening that particular week would go in the Non Event thread. You can now put stuff regarding USADA and uniforms in that thread if you want. 

Monthly (or every three week) UFC PPV threads will still happen unless it's basically a free PPV like the one Abu Dhabi show last year.

It appears there is an effort to stop a bunch of new threads from popping up. I want to do my part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I started watching during the Chookagian/Maia fight. Hasn't been a bad card. Nothing too crazy, but both that and the Royval fight felt competitive. Lots of action up and down.

Jake Collier just bulldozed Chase Sherman just to break things up.

I don't think I would place a bet on this Giga/Kattar fight.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Calvin Kattar just derailed that Giga train.

He absolutely just wrote the book on that dude. I mean, Giga's whole demeanor changed. Footwork, body language, after round two. He got bullied and it didn't get better. Still a bad dude and tough as hell, but yeah folks got the blueprint now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tyrone Spong's mma return is DOA. Rashad Evans, on the otherhand...

No idea why I decided to wake up at 7 am to watch Khabib's show but it was okay. One Championship held a show last night that was equally average. My main takeaway from that one was that Jarred Brooks looked great. . 

I'm a bit confused which thread this should go in so apologies in advance if it needs to be moved.  

• Like 1