DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

The Nyla Marina storyline continues to develop,and THE QUEEN rightfully gets the pinfall win! Garcia vs Blackwood (who if I understand correctly was in the car with him when Garcia had his big accident)was a REALLY good YouTube match. Early favourite for DEAN's poll! HardyParty storyline is consistently amusing. HEYYYYY I'M LIVVVINNNNN'! Good Lord! Dark Order vs Trustbusters is the NEW early favourite! What a match! Don C doesn't know how to give a business card to a Japanese person. It's one of the first things I learned after moving here. They did too effective a job with the Preston Vance turns on Negative One story. When I see him now it just makes me sad. Wingmen & Chaos SAPs is a DREAM 8-man team up for me personally. Pretty Peter's reaction to Cutler coming out was SO GOOD. Apparently EVERY match is gonna be the new early favourite. So I'll hold off on saying it again. Oh! Big Meaty Men Getting Their Shit In! Postmodern wrestling! Cage  vs Mack Best of Seven please! There is nothing in wrestling more enjoyable than an Athena YouTube match! Or, more specifically, the post-match  beat-downs. MAGICAL GIRL!!!! 😍 Dark Order recruiting again is a very specific kind of nostalgia. OK. BCC vs Top Flight vs Butcher & Blade is DEFINITELY the early favourite for DEAN's poll. Or maybe the Brandon Cutler match. Bryan vs Band-aido, Storm vs Willow, and Darby vs Time Splitter got their work cut out for them. WHAT A SHOW! AEW YouTube is ON FIRE!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It might help build to an Athena-Sakazaki match on Dark if Sakazaki's name is mentioned at least once during the broadcast. Wight and Menard sounded like they didn't know her name, and the dead air during some of the Athena-Sakazaki showdown was quite noticeable. Post-production can be your friend if you use it.

I'm 20 minutes late!  DISHES~! SHOWERING~! CUPCAKES~!  It's Daddy Magic!  It's JOHNNY ROBBIE!  That's Robbie Rocket in WOW!  It's VIPRESS!  It's the CWFH crew!  Marina Shafir vs NYLA could be good.  I don't think I've ever seen Zyra.  Awesome!  KEVIN BLACKWOOD!  It's Daniel Garcia's bud from Buffalo!  They lay it in like two best friends will do.  Garcia is a HEAT MACHINE!  Blackwood looks fucking great in this.  GNARLY DDT by Garcia!  That was good.  Ari Daivari and Zach Clayton and Ruiz Something!  Ari riles up the rubes!  Ari Daivari has the greatest pants in the history of wrestling!  The Dark Order are fun.  Alex Reynolds assumes the role of our babyface in peril.  The crowd turns on NEW JERSEY!  Neato double teams by the Dark Order!  No John Silver running around the ring but that was still fine.  I think we heading towards Kenny Omega putting over Konosuke Takeshita.  Whoa!  Misterioso gets squashed!  And  unmasked!  BRANDON CUTLER! BRANDON CUTLER!  BRANDON CUTLER!  The Firm are now COMPLETELY AWESOME!  I love Ethan Page's face turn!  JUKIN'!  To hell with grumpy Isaiah Cassidy!  PRETTY PETER AVALON!  Such an unfortunate haircut.  There is a lot of groinular undulating!  AIRPLANE!  Cassidy KILLS EVERYBODY!  Ryan Nemeth takes a cray ass bump to the floor and Cassidy hits the JUVENTUD GUERRERA TOPE!  So fucking crazy!  ETHAN PAGE GETS THE PIN!  GOOD GUYS WIN! GOOD GUYS WIN! GOOD GUYS WIN!  It's WILLIE MACK!  It's BRIAN CAGE!  At the Kia Forum!  NICE EXPLOIDER by Willie!  DADDY MAGIC CALLS IT THE GIANT BUTT IN THE FACE!  Mack sells the Forward Powerbomb thingy like a FREAK!  This match is great.  Brian Cage is on a fucking ROLL.  This match is great!  The crowd is WAY behind Willie Mack.  Mack SURGES!  Cage cuts him off and finally gets the pin!  Brian Cage is fucking awesome.  It's Zeda Zhang!  More CWFH crew!  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA! This lasts a little longer than most ATHENA matches.  YUKA SAKAZAKI!  FOR THE SAVE!  Goddamit, I'm going to have to order another fucking ROH PPV.  It's MAIN EVENT of a weird ass THREE WAY TAG MATCH!  It;s the Butcher and the Blade!  It's TOP FLIGHT!  The BLACKPOOL COMBAT CLUB!  They are doing basketball drills!  STARTING OFF HOT!  Top Flight are laying it in, to my DELIGHT!  Blade hits some nice Laraits!  The Butcher lays it in on Wheeler Yuta!  Yuta German Suplexes to taqg Claudio Castagnoli!  Claudio slaughterizes the Blade!  GIANT SWING ON THE BUTCHER!  Darius Martin is the secret all-star of the match!  Dante Martin GETS THE PIN!  Cagematch.net was WRONG!  YES!  That was a wacky episode.  Willie Mack versus Brian Cage was our PINNACLE.  YUKA! YUKA! YUKA! ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Willie Mack does not disappoint with a real nice showing in his AEDub debut! I like that he got an entrance with the Elevation theme music. And @Dean's onto something with his championing of this Brian Cage run. Are others coming around on this bow-hemoth? Surely there's some room in the upcoming ROH for a Willie Mack? Callis-Konsuke, I'm listening! Prince Nana and the Dark Order greatly entertain on the way to an ROH Six Man Title fight. Ethan Page continues to rule Youtube. Athena continues to do nothing but impress, and further so with a Yuka Sakazaki bout on the horizon. Loved Roosh and Vance killing the locals. Wait, what, a three way? Fun little showcase nonetheless. Bring on the Bucks. But can we also get a Yuta/Claudio-Top Flight battle? Daddy Magic rules alongside Duddy Gastric. Now to see if Raw can bounce back and top Elevation this week in the Monday Night Wars? It won't be easy.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

See I thought Cage’s Mack match this week was a waaay better way to get an indie guy over, who is dying for a contract, than last week. Cage is just so much better with the spectacle big man stuff, than the hard hitting big man stuff.

Actually I was kinda unsure when Willie Mack came out. He’s still the same exact chunky guy with a great match while doing it in little trunks, but only in a different promotion. Time for an update Mack. Chris Dickinson has this exact same problem. As do others. But I think Willie deserves a contract after that match, that wasn’t just a “Hometown Pop” like last week, that was also a great reaction, after a great performance. That’s the kind of tryout match I like from a wrestler like that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Just now getting around to Dark Elevation.

Garcia and Blackwood had a very nice match, which was expected. Blackwood looked especially crisp in this, and Garcia is really starting to let his personality come through in his matches.

I enjoyed everything about the eight man tag. Ethan Page was especially good, and I don't see why people give him grief.

I like Brian Cage the person. I have never really enjoyed many Brian Cage matches, but the Willie Mack match was the gift that kept on giving. I can only assume this is due to the nearly godlike abilities of Willie Mack, who really should be wrestling on TV on a regular basis.

I relish in the silly, so I really liked the Prince Nana/Dark "Odor" backstage segment. ("That's not a person, that's a wall.")

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:02 PM, DEAN said:

It's ROCK HARD JUICE ROBINSON!  I think I've seen Travis Williams.  Maybe not.  Juice is making him look like a million bucks early.  Juice is fun on offense.  Williams is a good fiery young lion!  So Portland is as good of a crowd as Seattle?  GREAT DDT by Robinson.  AWESOME! EMI! EMI! EMI! And Diamante!  Against Ruby Soho and Willow Nightingale!  This should be good.  This starts with a crazy double bump to the floor by RubyWillow!  NICE kick to Ruby's face by Diamante!  FUCKING DEATH VALLEY DRIVER ON THE FLOOR ON EMI BY WILLOW!  Okay, this match is great!  GREAT SUWA DROPKICK BY DIAMANTE!  THIS MATCH IS GREAT!  POUNCE!  BY WILLOW!  Aww, then it's over.  I wanted that to go for forty-five minutes.  It's Steve Migs.  Where do I remember him from?  Secret Wrestling Machine, JAKE HAGAR!  Migs touches Jake's hat!  Hagar is awesome!  MIGS PUTS ON THE HAT!  And gets slaughtered by Hagar!  GRREAT fucking Lariat.  It's Canadian dudes, the Voros Twins!  I could see them getting signed to ROH.  HERE, I can see them getting murdered by Big Bill.  AND THEY DO!  JESUS!  Moriarty applies the CRAVATE~!  Big Bill tags back in Chokeslams one Voros onto another Voros!  That was one of the better squashes on Dark lately.  JUICE ROBINSON SHOULD JOIN DARK ORDER!  It sounds like he isn't.  I've seen Kel before, on something.  Hey!  It's Roddy Piper's daughter!   Tay Melo FLIPS EVERYONE THE BIRD!  They are working to Teal Piper and Tay Melo beating each other to death.  Tay Jay are fucking awesome as heel JERKS!  Teal Piper tags in and she is a HOOT!  Tay finally cuts her off and Kel tags in to ACCEPT the Queen Slayer!  That was fun.  ETHAN PAGE IS DANCING!  So great!  It's against three Portland dudes!  Who are WAAAY over in portland!  Isaiah Cassidy is Spectacular!  BAD AUDIO DYNAMITE!  This match got good.  Ethan Page is so fucking great.  TWIST OF PAGE! FOR THE WIN!  So great.  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!  YESSSS!  Marina Shafir!  Well, this should be good.  Or STIFF at least.  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!  They take it to BattlARTS! And stays there!  They go from the mat to Athena and Shafir beating the fuck out of each other.  Oh man, this match is fucking GREAT.  FISHHOOK!  Crossarmbreaker into a Powerbomb!  WELL.  I see what we need a Best of Seven series between.  Oh man, this is so fucking good.  This is the style they should push in ROH- more Shootstyle and STIFF!  JESUS CHRIST!  GAAAAHHH! THIS MATCH IS TOO AWESOME!  TOO FUCKING GREAT!  EVERYTHING I WANT IN PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!  ATHENA RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUKCING WORLD!  So fucking good.  AEW channeling BattlARTS.  Jesus, that was great.

I finally got around to watching this and good lord y’all WERE NOT KIDDING. That was better than about half of the Rampage episodes. Tons of character shown by the wrestlers, even in the squashes. I think this can come across a lot better on the YouTube matches than the broadcast shows.

Juice is excellent until he talks, and then he reminds me of Sean Astin’s character in 50 First Dates.

Ruby and Willow tune up for the street fight. Emi Sakura takes a damned DeathValleyDriver to the floor for a YouTube match. Diamanté shows a ton of personality.

Likewise, Tay lays in some stiff kicks while Anna clowns. So good.

The Ethan Page and Party Hardy shenanigans had me LOL. Ethan singing “I hate you Zay” to their theme song, and then Zay getting him back during the match with “I literally hate you”. Letting Ethan be a narcissistic goof just might be the thing that gets him over.

And then that main event. Wow. There were many, many moments where I could convince myself they were shoot fighting. Some of the stiffest elbows, knee lifts, and throws I’ve seen. Athena’s character work was out of this world, she really deserves Jade’s spot IMO. Easily the best Shafir match I’ve seen, maybe because it could be stiff and sloppy and borderline uncooperative by its nature.

• Thanks 1

Not up for a full write up, but Hobbs' new finisher is great because he rides it down into a Goardbuster/DDT sort of thing instead of just tossing the guy. I'm not sure he can do it with everyone but it looked great against Jaiden. The book thing though? That feels like someone explaining a figurative gimmick to Vince and him taking it literally and you end up with... Rocco the puppet or something.

"So it'll be biblical. All my life experiences led me to this moment. All the pain, grief, agony, written into the book of my life. It''s made me strong and it's made me angry and I'm going to take it out on everyone in my path."

"That's great shit, pal. You'll have a book! You'll take it to the ring and wave it to the cameras. THE BOOK OF HOBBS!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My advice to Hobbs… I think if Hobbs wants to continue using the book gimmick, he needs one that’s permanently attached to a chain, and pretend that he’s creating his own religion. He can literally add pages to the book itself(He’ll have a little guy follow him, and write passages during matches), that makes it larger, and larger every week, while creating new disciples of his own church(Willie Mack, and Jaiden could be apart of this). Also while performing miracles. 

“THE POWERHOUSE OF HOBBS COMPELS YOU!”

Has there ever been a black Undertaker. Maybe this could be a start.

I would really like them to re-do the Starks feud with a now psychopathic cult leader Hobbs going after him. It’s like something out of a 90’s comic book, or Marked For Death.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

My advice to Hobbs… I think if Hobbs wants to continue using the book gimmick, he needs one that’s permanently attached to a chain, and pretend that he’s creating his own religion. He can literally add pages to the book itself(He’ll have a little guy follow him, and write passages during matches), that makes it larger, and larger every week, while creating new disciples of his own church(Willie Mack, and Jaiden could be apart of this). Also while performing miracles. 

“THE POWERHOUSE OF HOBBS COMPELS YOU!”

Has there ever been a black Undertaker. Maybe this could be a start.

I would really like them to re-do the Starks feud with a now psychopathic cult leader Hobbs going after him. It’s like something out of a 90’s comic book, or Marked For Death.

Having a book on a chain was Shannon Moore's gimmick when he was in Ink Inc.

26 minutes ago, AxB said:

Having a book on a chain was Shannon Moore's gimmick when he was in Ink Inc.

Yeah I know. So I’m like ehhhh… The only reason I suggested it was because on Dark he had the book to his right, and took a bit of time finding it while reaching down. He needs to always have that in his hand. But he needs to really get in character, and treat this prop like he really believes what’s written inside.

I'm going to need a .gif of Avalon/Nemeth/Serpentico/Luther doing hip gyrations post-haste, that was possibly my favorite thing ever done in this company, ever.

Edit:

Also, I know I've been critical of Ethan Page before, saying he was boring and such (to be fair, he was, the Men of The Year/ATT was just DREADFUL) but I'm all for this new character taking down the Hardy name a peg, absolutely am loving him singing the lyrics to their theme song, and the dancing, and him calling out Cranky-Ass Isiah, he's truly made me look forward to their matches, which is an impressive feat indeed.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 4

On the next Elevation, from CWFH, BEEF CANDY!

Spoiler
Singles Match
Skye Blue vs. Zoe Dubois
Tag Team Match
La Faccion Ingobernable (Preston Vance & Rush) (w/Jose The Assistant) vs. Papacito Blanco & Papacito Negro
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Ari Daivari & Tony Nese (w/Mark Sterling) vs. Big Fonz & Jordan Cruz

• Like 3

Brooke Havok is a Nightmare Family girl, she was getting a push as a Cody protege before her leg fell apart. She’s also Alan Angels’ SO. Perhaps Alan shows up on the vlogs next week.

• Like 1