DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

17 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I hope the guy who ate the pin didn't legit hurt his knee. 

He broke his ankle.  He's out for a while.

• Sad 1

That's the best I've seen Jarrett look in AEW yet at least. That said, I am with Gordi in that I'd rather he not be on screen? Why? Every second he's there is a match with Satnam we don't get, basically. And Satnam's the guy who needs the reps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Fargo Strut is one of the things I value most in professional wrestling, so I think you’re all crazy. If my man started wearing that Aztec fit from 1997 again I’d be pushing for him to main event their next PPV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Oh boy there is a WHOLE LOT of professional wrestling to watch in the next couple of days! I'm off to my buddy's house to watch (presumably 5+ hours of) Wrestle Kingdom this afternoon, then there's a huge Dynamite tomorrow morning. Time-zone-wise, probably easier for me than for folks who need to stay up late to watch WK 17.

And a pretty darned good episode of Dark to kick off the marathon!

I was gonna skip the write-up, but DEAN is dealing with family stuff (and all our hearts are with you, brother!) and also I'm back to work full time next week and this is likely my last opportunity to do a full-ish YouTube write-up for a while.

It was interesting and a bit weird to see Christopher Daniels back in the ring! It does not seem like his genuinely emotional goodbye to wrestling on BTE was all that long ago. Sadly, the match was kinda sloppy and meandering. They did a lot of stuff but didn't really tell a story in there.

But, there was a huge pay-off later, as ARN ANDERSON had a segment with Pillman Jr (who ate the pin after a Best Moonsault Ever from Danielson) and Brock (Anderson) to set up the two second-generation guys teaming up and trying to rebuild their badly-stalled momentum. Yeah! Gimme ARN! Gimme redemption stories! 

EMI is always great. Today was no exception. She's a treasure.

Dak Draper has a great body! He did the job for Nemeth (who wore out his welcome with me due to horribly unfunny BTE bits, but seems to be getting more interesting in the ring).

ALL HEART BLAKE CHRISTIAN (and AR Fox and Action Andretti) are all guys I am STOKED to see more from.

Then, immediately after Blake's very good match, I get to see more of Blake and Fox, as they run out to save Leon Ruffin from a beat-down at the hands of the TRUSTBUSTERS after the very next match! The ensuing trios match should be just great!

Seeing Rohit Raju and Jora Johl back to back makes me realise that I have been conflating them. Hopefully that doesn't make me a racist! Johl is way more roided-up-looking. Both guys looked fine in there, neither of them looks amazing... yet.

I still love the Dark Order.

The Varsity Athletes (Abs & Quads) look GREAT squashing jobbers, and The Skulk are one of the best AEW YouTube "enhancement" teams. Right up there with Pillars of Destiny. I heard that there's a Skulk vs Workhorsemen match coming up. Looking forward to that one!

Kiera Hogan's match was extremely succinct.

WE GOT TO. HEAR THE TRUSTBUSTERS THEME TWICE TODAY!! Slim J & Sonny Kiss have to be one of the most entertaining tag teams of all time! This is why I personally watch AEW.

it was great to see CAPTAIN SHAWN DEAN again! His top rope splash finish is more basic compared to the TWO 450 splash finishes we got today, but no less exciting.

WORKHORSEMEN vs TOP FLIGHT is a PERFECT Dark main event. JD Drake is genuinely great in the ring. 

Tomorrow we get the debut of the red and blue neon and lasers Dynamite. 😬

Some stuff I am super-stoked for (Will Bryan vs Neece be better than Bryan vs Ethan? What new variation of Joe murdering Darby will they come up with?) (How hot will the Seattle crowd be?) and some stuff that is just not for me at all (Jarrett and Saraya both being involved in major storylines and matches, for example). 

SO MANY wrestlers on Dark today I personally would prefer to see in the spotlight.

Oh well.

Enjoy Wrestle Kingdom! See if you can find Muto vs Shinsuke on YouTube! 

See you in Seattle! (Metaphorically).

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'M LATE!  Had to deal with stuff.  I was noticing how great Kenny Omega's hair is during his press conference with Will Ospreay, so he is the winner of Greatest Hair In Wrestling over Bryan Pillman Jr!  Christopher Daniels!  He has no hair. They are having a very cold off the floor Worldwide match.  Nice dropkick by Pillman.  Pillman has a good wad of offense!  Another nice dropkick by Pillman.  Man, they are giving this match a lot of time.  Hey!  A coupla nearfalls!  IYO SKY exists so that isn't the Best Moonsault Ever, but it was a very awesome moonsault.  Ryan Nemeth ON THE STICK!  Hey!  It's Jada Stone!  She is on the rise in the indies!  EMI! EMI! EMI!  SMACKYBUTT!  Stone gets in some stuff because EMI is fucking awesome and likes to tell a story.  Stone is really flexible and makes EMI's Romero Special look fucking GREAT.  JADA STONE IS SUDDENLY POSSESSED BY THE DEVIL!  And she goes from that to a Rana!  SIGN HER, TK!  EMISAULT!  That was fun.  Arn Anderson ON THE STICK!  Bryan Pillman ON THE STICK!  It's NWA dude, Dak Draper!  He's pretty good!  It's Ryan Nemeth!  Dark and Elevation is all about the Rick Rude groinal undulations!  Draper gets in a wacky Running Up The Ropes Elbow!  Then he loses.  It's Sean Maluta!  I thought Sean Maluta was going to a big deal like five years ago.  I don't know what happened.  Blake Christian is great!  Maluta has the baffling Dexter Lumis tattoos.  Christian is a fun highflier!  Neato Tope Con Hilo!  Maluta with the Shining Wizard!  FOR TWO!  Maluta is so good.  Christian does a Sunset Flip INTO the Turnbuckle!  I don't remember ever seeing that before.  They are giving this some time until Blake Christian hits a 450!  MALUTA MALUTA! MALUTA! Eventhough he lost!   Awesome!  It's Leon Ruffin!  He is the NEW Fuego Del Sol/El Serpentico!  RUFFIN!  JOIN THE TRUSTBUSTERS!  LEON RUFFIN TURNS HIM DOWN!  TAZ discusses the success of the career of Jeeves K!  Ari Daivari is a HEAT MACHINE in Orlando!  Ruffin is fucking AWESOME!  with the running up the ropes Plancha!  Jeeves K CHEATS!  TAZ notes that Jeeves K is a good-looking man.   Man, Ruffin is so fucking good, accepting his ass beating like a KING!  Ruffin is so awesome in his COMEBACK!  Daivari is AWESOME making Ruffin look like a million bucks.  Ruffin kicks Slim J in the face!  Ruffin kicks Jeeves K in the face!  He can't kick Sonny Kiss and allows Ari to hit his finisher!  That was fucking great.  POSTMATCH!  The Trustbuster beat on Ruffin!  AR FOX AND BLAKE CHRISTIAN MAKE THE SAVE!  Why does AR Fox have an average chair and not a gold-plated chair?  HE WON THE $300,000 BATTLE ROYAL!  Rohit Raju!  Why did he leave IMPACT!?  Richard Adonis I've only seen getting murdered on Dark.  I love this episode of Dark.  It's all competitive matches.  Adonis hits a GREAT Northern Lights Suplex.  Adonis looks good in this.  Raju looks good in this.  His finisher was INSANE.  Jora Johl!  It's the whole AEW Indian contingent tonight.  Johl is BUFF! HE'S THE STUFF!  THE LADIES CAN'T GET ENOUGH!  Hmmm, I'm wondering where Rohit Raju and Johl are in the hierarchy of Indian wrestlers in North America.  I'd say the best is Bhupinder Gujjar in IMPACT!  Then Raju and then Johl.  Actually, they are all a bit behind Sanga and Veer Mahaan.  Raju is great ON THE STICK!  Oh!  Satnam is the best.  I almost forget.  Dark Order is John Silver and Alex Reynolds this time out.  They beat on two dudes!  It isn't very competitive!  Josh Woods should suplex some dudes!  Tony Neese should be a HEAT MACHINE!  Let's watch, shall we?  Man, this is a LOT of wrestling in this episode.  I dig it.  It's a LOT like WCW Saturday Night.  GREAT FUCKING SUPLEX BY WOODS!  Josh Woods is so fucking AWESOME.  Neese is a HEAT MACHINE in Orlando!  Neese makes some dude named Adrian Atlantis look like a million bucks for a minute.  Then he gets murderlized!  Kaci Lennox!  She's good!  Keira Hogan is all over TV the last two weeks!  Whoa!  Hogan hits a High Angle Backdrop Driver!  She should use that as her finisher from here on out.  SLIM J! SONNY KISS! SLIM J! SONNY KISS! SLIM J! SONNY KISS!  It's Ryzin!  HE WORSHIPS THE DEVIL!  Cameron Stewart was trained by Shawn Speares!  Stewart is all about the Rick Rude groinal undulations!  Man, Sonny Kiss will fucking lay it in.  Sonny Kiss is fucking awesome.  You know who else is fucking awesome?  Slim J.  PUT THE FUCKING BELTS ON THESE TWO!  ALL THE BELTS!  AEW, ROH and IMPACT! TAG BELTS!  BEAUTIFUL 450 Splash by Kiss!  Sonny Kiss is the Dax Harwood of the Trustbusters.  It's Captain Shawn Dean!  Goddam, this is LOOONG episode of Dark.  OH MAN!  Ariel Dominguez was in the greatest squash of 2022!  Against the aforementioned Sanga and Veer Mahaan!  That's so weird that he would show up after a random tangent I wandered off to.  I DEMAND that we get Brodie King vs Ariel Dominguez!  Dean hits a great SUWA dropkick into the corner.  HOLY SHIT! TOP FLIGHT vs THE WORKHORSEMEN!  Why are Top Flight wearing average pants?  Why not gold-plated pants?  THEY WON THE $300,000 Battle Royal!  Darius Martin is definitely the Matt Hardy of Top Flight.  Dante Martin is definitely the Jeff Hardy of Top Flight.  Anthony Henry reminds me of Marina Shafir on offense here.  In a good way.  JD Drake will lay it in.  Darius is great as the Ricky Morton in this.  The match GOES CRAZY!  Dante does a thing off the ropes by Drake counters it into SOMETHING!  I have never seen that before.  Dante becomes out babyface in peril and the Workhorsemen do all the things except pulling Darius off the apron.   Darius makes the hot tag and does giant wads of stuff.   Dante hits a BEAUTIFUL Tope Con Hiulo and then hits a ENORMOUS Missile Dropkick off the top turnbuckle!  Fun nearfalls!  Top Flight hits a super convoluted finisher!  That was LOT of wrestling.  I back AEW's play one hundred percent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Alright, I gotta ask, because I don’t know the backstory… Christopher Daniels’ eye: work or shoot? Because that thing has looked gross for about a year. 

Shoot.  He fucked it up in the last SCU match with the Bucks and it's been like that ever since.

• Like 1

I started watching last night's show before being called off on caretaker duties. Having Daniels wrestle Pillman Jr. was weird, like it was either a training match or a test to see whether Pillman is worth a damn. He had one really nice dropkick but the rest was pretty plodding and pedestrian. I was pretty excited about the promo with Arn Anderson but it was also weird because Arn directly asked Pillman to tag with Brock and have Arn as their manager, which Pillman responded to with his own (ok) promo asking to be taken under Arn's wing. Not a good start if Pillman isn't even listening to what Arn is saying...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I started watching last night's show before being called off on caretaker duties. Having Daniels wrestle Pillman Jr. was weird, like it was either a training match or a test to see whether Pillman is worth a damn. He had one really nice dropkick but the rest was pretty plodding and pedestrian. I was pretty excited about the promo with Arn Anderson but it was also weird because Arn directly asked Pillman to tag with Brock and have Arn as their manager, which Pillman responded to with his own (ok) promo asking to be taken under Arn's wing. Not a good start if Pillman isn't even listening to what Arn is saying...

From what I've seen, Pillman is NOT a guy that can do much of anything on the fly. The most glaring example is when MJF ran down his family and he hit the ring doing smiley babyface mannerisms. He should have been pissed and out for blood, but he was just sort of there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Log said:

From what I've seen, Pillman is NOT a guy that can do much of anything on the fly. The most glaring example is when MJF ran down his family and he hit the ring doing smiley babyface mannerisms. He should have been pissed and out for blood, but he was just sort of there.

Pillman is a guy who can NOT do much of anything at all.

Truly deadweight.

• Like 4

HOLY SHIT!  Marina Shafir goes for the ROH belt againt ATHENA! AND!  Midnight Heat vs Daddy Magic and Coll Hand Ange! MONDAY! MONDAY!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Good lord that Butcher & Blade vs Swiss Wheels is going to be phenomenal. 

FUCK! I didn't even notice that!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

FUCK! I didn't even notice that!

and no mention of Willow and Ruby vs. Emi and Diamante? Not only is the wrestling going to be aces, but the shenanigans with Willow and Emi are going to test the patience of Ruby and Diamante.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DEAN said:

HOLY SHIT!

Yep!

Kingdom vs Bollywood Boys, Claudio vs Josh Woods title match, Bandido vs Christopher Daniels, and an Athena squash! 

That would be a pretty good episode of Rampage!

PLUS: Best Friends vs Chaos Project, House of Black vs Wingmen, a Hobbs squash, Brian Cage vs A Big Guy, Kingston & Ortiz...

PLUS: That Seattle crowd!

Yowza.

We're getting PPV-quality TV and TV-quality YouTube this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow! The DVDVR Road Report crew were not kidding. SCHAFF got a HUGE reaction from the Seattle crowd. The DEFY chant makes me happy. AEW fans are INDIE fans! Hats off to Brian Cage for reading the room and giving Schaff a ton. Got some Lance Archer vibes from Schaff, though obviously he's not as tall. THE BOLLYWOOD BOYS are from Vancouver, my erstwhile home town! Kingdom are from 2003, style-wise. Vancouver is close to Seattle. This crowd loves Gurv and Harv, too. When I moved to Japan in 2009, I sold off my stock of protein powder, supplements, and training gear to "the boys" backstage at a Vancouver All Star show. I am pretty sure either Harv or Gurv bought my pea-based chocolate protein powder. Brush with greatness!  HEYYYY I'M LIVINNNN! The Festival of The Wrong Guys Going Over continues as the House of Spooky Metal go over the superior in EVERY way (except tattoos) Wingmen. Matches are all REALLY good, though. I'll leave thoughts on Pretty Peter's hair to DEAN. Our first mostly one sided match is a Hobbs semi-squash, so it was also enjoyable. The finish, with Hobbs catching Pacifico on a dive and turning it into a SPINEBUSTER, was excellent. Marina twists people, Nyla mauls them, Vickie is upset about something. It's a reliable formula! I want my legs to look like Josh Woods's legs, and my upper body to look like Claudio's. Their match would have been a perfectly satisfying Rampage main event. This is shaping up to be an all time great episode of Elevation! Just like we predicted! Not to be churlish, but in my opinion Matt's dark shiny green and black gear did NOT colour coordinate with Ethan and Isiah's gorgeous lime green and black gear. Heel ATHENA is among my very favourite things in all of pro wrestling. ATHENA vs MARINA! Oh boy. That could be amazing. KINGSTON & ORTIZ! Speaking of favourite things! I guess Ricky Gibson's usual partner Robert Morton was busy the night they taped this. Seattle LOVES Mad King! Rightly so. I am happy Christopher Daniels can wrestle again, but he seems to still be knocking some rust off. Best Friends vs Chaos Project is the Platonic ideal of an AEW YouTube main event. 95 minutes just flew by, here today.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1