DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

The fake outrage has already been drowned out by the recursive and just outrage-over-the-outrage. Because of this, way more people know that Jody Threat rules and SRS continues to out himself as a sleazebag in his continued nosedive into willful, presumably profitable ignorance.

• Like 3

On 10/18/2022 at 1:38 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Willow vs. Ms. Mxyzptlk was really, really good, she definitely deserves another look.

If they're not going to send Kingston after a singles title, I'd be good with making the Ortiz team a full time deal - great chemistry.

I just saw that finally and had the same thought. She was good, made Willow look good, and fought stiff. 

• Like 1

I like that they don’t just pigeon-hole Dante as a luchador but also I would love for them to either let him do a Mexico tour or bring back Dragon Lee and bring in a couple of other luchadors and just have some fun lucha matches.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The fake outrage has already been drowned out by the recursive and just outrage-over-the-outrage. Because of this, way more people know that Jody Threat rules and SRS continues to out himself as a sleazebag in his continued nosedive into willful, presumably profitable ignorance.

Just watched the match and it’s wild how all these former workers and “smarts” showed their asses and look like total marks. That match was a great, nasty brawl that looked like a real fight because they were fighting stiff but also selling their asses off. It never looks like Athena takes liberties, it looks like Athena is pissed off and frustrated at not being able to put away a lesser opponent, and mad that she’s getting booed. After the nasty looking shotgun dropkick, it looks like Threat looks up at Athena and smiles. And then Athena gives her a show of respect after the match.

Edited by JLowe
Typos
  • Like 3

Will find listings later but Dark looks loaded: Athena vs Diamante doubling down from last week; Mei/Emi vs Toni/Shida; Riho vs Jungle Kyona; Lucha Bros vs Workhorsemen; SBK/Estrella vs Dante/Sydal; Avalon vs Cutler 2.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Will find listings later but Dark looks loaded: Athena vs Diamante doubling down from last week; Mei/Emi vs Toni/Shida; Riho vs Jungle Kyona; Lucha Bros vs Workhorsemen; SBK/Estrella vs Dante/Sydal; Avalon vs Cutler 2.

With all of these impressive matchups, why am I most excited about Avalon/Cutler 2?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

Loaded and with main event TV talent. There’s no reason they can’t pad Jade’s streak with her getting some matches on Dark.

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

Loaded and with main event TV talent. There’s no reason they can’t pad Jade’s streak with her getting some matches on Dark.

This looks six times better than Rampage.  Peter Avalon vs Brandon Cutler!  Yesss!

Spoiler
Singles Match
Zack Clayton vs. Blake Li
Singles Match
Ashley D'Amboise vs. Kayla Rossi (w/Diamond Sheik)
Tag Team Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Anna Jay AS vs. Sio Nieves
Singles Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Six Man Tag Team Match
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Tag Team Match
Dante Martin & Matt Sydal vs. La Estrella & SB KENTo
Singles Match

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let's see what's happening on AEW ELEVATION!  Jose the Assistant is joining Daddy Magic and Ian Riccobonni!  Baron Black succumbs to Preston Vance.  Vance is growing a beard so I assume he is leaving the land of the masked.  It's Eddie Kingston and Ortiz!  They are taking on T-Money and Russ Meyers!  T-Money and Meyers do a GREAT Punching Airplane Spin.  Ortiz channeling Ravishing Rick Rude is solid gold.  Serena Deeb versus OVW's Haley J!  Haley J takes a Neckbreaker straight on her neck.  It's the Workhorsemen against the Blondes!  Anthony Henry flies into the screen with a kick to the head!  JD Vance beats on Griff Garrison.  Pillman is good on the apron. Cool Powerslam into the ring by Griff!  Pillman is awesome as a house a-fire!  Bizarre Bridging Combo Nearfall!  A lot of stuff happens!  Pillman gets the pin!  They need more douchiness and need to become the Pretty Deadly of AEW.  Emi is awesome dissing Jaylee.  DOUBLE TEA TIME!  Mei Suruga is adorable and EVIL!  Mei is fucking great.  TRANSFORMER!  So fucking good.  PUT THE BELTS ON THEM!  Matt Hardy is bedeviled by the Firm!  He beats on Lord Crewe, CWFH All-Star!  It's the greatest HEAT MACHINE in AEW, QT Marshall!  It's the guy who is going to beat the crap out of him!  Claudio!  Okay, Daddy Magic, William Regal and Scumbag Ian is the pinnacle of commentary.  This match is good.  GREAT FUCKING EVEREST VERTICAL SUPLEX!  I love QT getting BIG HEAT for denying the crowd a GIANT SWING!  QT gets in a final flurry of offense!  Finally, a GIANT SWING!  FOR TWO!  QT gets ANOTHER wad of offense!  FOR TWO!  QT's face while being hammered by Claudio is fucking beautiful.  RICOLA BOMB!  That was fucking great.  QT Marshall rules.  SU-RU-GA! SU-RU-GA! SU-RU-GA!  AEW RULES THE WORLD!

'

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Elevation Thoughts - 

If they're gonna do something new with Garrison and Pillman, I say turn 'em heel. I REALLY want to see them with Christian? Like it seems really really right? Plus you can finally run Jungle Boy vs. Jungle Man and everybody wants that. Christian needs an entourage. I unexpectedly need this.

Cincinnati didn't pop for a thing Mei Suruga did. Burn the whole town down. Emi needs some longterm storyline where she eats too much American junk food and slips into madness. She is Ms. Elevation, she is the centerpiece of the show.

Matt Hardy can make any gimmick on Earth work about 70-80% of the way. I fear Ethan Page has the same strange ceiling, but without Matt's creativity. He's so normal. He lacks the neurodivergent, neurotic madness of the great promos he tries to emulate. I say this as a lifelong headcase - look at the people who have won the Wrestling Observer Best Promo award over the last decade. Eddie Kingston, CM Punk, Conor MacGregor (and if you have a keen eye for it, MJF). These are all people with loose screws and crossed wires. Ethan Page seems like such an average Canadian good boy who just wants to collect toys and save for retirement and go to church and kiss his wife underneath all the screaming. Yet I like him.

Claudio vs. QT almost felt like a really good mid-late era ROH TV opener. Never thought I'd use that as a compliment. Some clunk in the beginning but their characters matched up well.

• Like 5

My only issue with turning the Blonds is that Pillman has just now finally become a good hot tag. 

Big ups to Daddy Magic for referencing Battledome and suggesting that Emi Sakura should be on commonwealth currency.

• Like 2

I love the Work Horsemen using one of Mikey Rukus' old MMA entrance themes from years back used in Invicta FC.

Serena's swing neckbreaker on Haley J was absolutely killer.

Suruga & Sakura are the best. the Transformer is epic. 

• Like 2

I've got to comment on a work e-mail, so let's get through this quickly.

Oh, I went and wrote up all of Dark from last week for SC last night too, but probably no surprises there if you are in this thread often.

• Vance vs Black felt like a rib on Jose. 10 absorbing the blows is a good thing for him but I kind of hate his static pose that he does. Maybe it's a legitimate pose in bodybuilding but be like warrior and flex like a maniac instead. Something kinetic!
  • Kingston/Ortiz vs Team Jollyville: Good showing from the boys! The airplane spin w/punches got a reaction and is memorable. Then I like how T-Money fed for Eddie, portraying that he was off balance and unready which made him going down immediately make sense. Obviously you want another minute or two here but what we got was pretty good. I was hoping for the post match DQ so they'd be 1-0 but at least this tantrum from Eddie felt a little more organic and was definitely over with the crowd.
  • Deeb vs Haley was just a great, satisfying Deeb squash. She's really good at these. She absolutely killed Haley with the neckbreaker. 
  • Blonds vs Workhorsemen might have been the best Blonds match ever. A lot of that was the Workhorsemen making them look like a million bucks. Pillman looked better than ever too but it was hard to watch that and not think that Drake and Henry should have gone over (save for the whole hometown thing).
  • Mei certainly made the most of her opportunity. I'm almost sad that they're rolling right into real matches instead of getting a few more squashes as Mei paintbrushing someone upsidedown in a modified muta-lock is basically peak pro wrestling. She reacted to all of Emi's things well too, especially the We Will Rock Yous.
  • Hardy vs Crewe is a little annoying. They finally run an angle on Elevation and they make it seem like it's a demotion for Matt. The suspension stuff feels way too on the nose when guys are still out pending legal issues, but I can see Matt and Page suggesting it to Khan and him going for it as a way to blow off stress. Kind of a shame we didn't get a real match here though.
  • Claudio vs QT was absolutely a real match though. Everything was teased and paid off. Claudio's a guy who knows exactly what to do with QT's brand of heat and you know QT was happy to be in there with Claudio and was going to make the most of it. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's Lance Archer telling a little story with Isiah Brown.  Brown is a total bump freak and Archer takes advantage of his proclivity to TOTALLY die for our pleasure.  Brown gets some stuff in to set up a crazy bump.  So they need to sign Brown.  It's Zach Clayton trying not to be the next Anthony Ogogo.  So they are bouncing between Canada and Florida.  Shane Sabre is the second best Sabre in wrestling!  He sells an ass beating really well.  Sabre has a fun ten second comeback!  It's ATHENA!  CONTROVERSY!  I don't think I've seen Alexia Nicole before.  Alexia gets in a bunch of offense and Athena wrestles heel AGAIN and beats the fuck out of another Canadian.  Athena IS Stone Cold Steve Austin!  It's the BattlARTSIAN offense of Danhausen!  James Stone is GREAT beating the hell out of Danhausen.  SWEET German Suplex by Danhausen.  Danhausen finally goes BattlARTS and sinks in the submission!  Awesome!  Aaron Solo versus El Serpentico!  What a great set-up to bring out the HEAT MACHINE, QT Marshall!  SERP as a babyface is fun.  Tope by SERP!  SWANTON FOR TWO!  QT distracts SERP by mauling Luther allowing Solo to STEAL the win!  BOOOO!   AWESOME!  It's Jungle Kyona!  It's Riho!  Kyona brings the Stardom STIFF!  Man, she is beating the fudge out of Riho.  Oh MAN, Kyona has to wrestle the AEW Big Four.  Jungle Kyona looks fucking GREAT.  She is having a giant assist from Riho.  Jungle Kyona ALMOST hits her lunatic finisher.  That match was fucking great.  The Lucha Bros versus the Workhorsemen should be good.  Penta likes to tell a little story and the Workhorsemen will tell a little story.  I await a story.  PENTA is our babyface in peril who tags out and Rey Fenix assumes the role of our babyface in peril as Anthony Henry hits a GREAT out of control Tope.  They don't actually tell much of a story as Penta CRUSHES Anthony Henry with a Piledriver.  And it's BACK TO CANADA! as Emi Sakura and Serena Deeb takes on KC Spinelli and another Canadian!  Ah, Taylor Rising!  I've seen her before.  They should do ROH Canada and sign both of these gals and Jody Threat. Emi fucking lays it in when in Canada!  Deeb is awesome in this, leaning into a punch in the face by Spinelli.  That was fun.  NICKY BOY!  RICKY STARKS!  Nicky Boy is getting WIDER.  QT Marshall punches Starks in the face!  Aaron Solo punches him for good measure.  Taz notes that the Torontoans are chanting "Oh, QT's An Asshole!"  Starks is going hard on the Sympathetic Babyface role and Nicky Boy is good beating the heat on him.  QT Marshall is so fucking awesome as a HEAT MACHINE.  Starks has a babyface comeback that gets the crowd behind him.  Starks kicks Solo and THEN kicks QT and the crowd gets WAAAY into the ref kicking them out of the building.  Great improvised Tiger Driver for the win.  That was good.  I'm going to go back and watch the Jungle Kyona match.  AWESOME!  Pretty Peter Avalon- THE PRETTIEST BOY IN AEW and Brandon Cutler CUT PROMOS~! about their match next week!  YES!   

• Like 1