DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

Mid day AEW!  Hell yeah!  Rhea Ripley is wrestling again for the first time in forever tonight but that's something to talk about waaaay later.  WRESTLING AND THEN LUNCH!  Dasha sounds like she is say PEEKABOO SHEEDA!  Vanessa Kraven I've never seen before.  She is like 9 feet tall.  SHE HAS THE POWER ADVANTAGE!  They should sign any woman over 6'3" so Jade Cargill can build an army.  This match is fun.  Kraven is lumbering and difficult to get up for the Falcon Arrow!  Katana for the win!  FUN!  Evil Uno is OVER in Canada, obviously.  Jose The Assistant IS Jim Cornette!  Evil Uno is the least in-ring guy in AEW but he is lovable.  Hey!  It's Eddie Kingston!  He's kinda waiting around for something to do currently.  DECAPITATION! FOR TWO!  Ortiz with a nice Fisherman Buster.  It seems that it's harder to get Canadian Enhancement up for stuff.  JANE!   Kobe Durst looks like he is ten years old.  ARE THERE NO LABOUR LAWS IN CANADA?  HE'S A CHILD!  Chuck Taylor hits a Pirouette!  They should move DARK to lunch time every week.  Cassidy PUNCHES A CHILD!  Awesome!  BRANDON CUTLER!  Ari Daivari should make this good.  Cutler is so fucking good.  AIRPLANE SP- ah Ari, you ruin EVERYTHING!  Sonny Kiss CHEATS with a big kick to the head.  Sonny Kiss should be in the Blackpool Combat Club.  Cutler is the Barry Windham of the Elite.  FINALLY! AIRPLANE SPIN!  Ari RECHEATS with the CHEATING Cutler was going to use!  NICE Lariat by Ari!  BRANDON CUTLER RULES THE WORLD!  Oh man, I might have to pause this and eat like A HOG! HUNGER!  I'll watch Willow Nightingale first.  Selexziya Sparx has an inexplicable name.  She gets some stuff in!  Willow is telling a story!  SWEET SPINEBUSTER BY WILLOW!  SWEET NORTHERN LIGHTS SUPLEX BY SPARX!  Willow is battling it out with Athena for who gets the local gal over the most.  Athena wins THAT but this was really fucking good.  DOCTOR BOMB FOR THE WIN!  Ah main event!  I'll watch this and then fill my LUNCH HOLE!  MID DAY DARK! MID DAY DARK!  MID DAY DARK!  QT Marshall is a HEAT MACHINE!  Dante Martin is progressing well.  The Toronto crowd is awesome.  QT ON THE STICK IS SOLID GOLD!  Marshall is so awesome GATHERING THE HEAT!  Who is the KING of AEW YouTube?  QT, Brandon Cutler, Fuego del Sol, Emi Sakura or SERP?  Dante Martin is awesome these days- HOLY SHIT!  MARTIN IS SPECTACULAR!  So many fun nearfalls!  FUN FINISH!  That was great!  AEW! AEW! AEW! LUNCH! LUNCH! LUNCH! LUNCH!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, DEAN said:

ATHENA TURNS HEEL!

There are people on Twitter shitting on this match (or rather, clips of this match) because they are concerned that Athena was somehow laying it into Jody Threat as punishment for blowing a spot, which seems completely insane to me and a total misreading of the match. Jody Threat looked good, got a great ovation and Athena looked like an absolute killer (she really may be the best wrestler in the company). It made me want to see face Toni Storm against heel Athena (or hell, vice versa, honestly) really badly. 

If hard-hitting competitive squashes are wrong, I don't wanna be right.

• Like 7

Athena/Jody ruled. Athena working heelish definitely stood out and Jody got to shine a bit.

Cool to see Vanessa Kraven back, she had been out for 3-4 years since breaking her leg shortly after the first Mae Young Classic and actually announced her retirement at one point. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

Next Monday:

Matt Hardy vs Lord Crewe, 10 vs Baron Black, Deeb vs Haley J, Emi/Mei squash, QT vs Claudio, Blondes vs Workhorsemen…

oh, and Eddie/Ortiz vs the boys from Jollyville.

So are Griff and Pillman Jr. now the Junior Varsity Blonds?

On 10/18/2022 at 8:00 AM, DEAN said:

ATHENA TURNS HEEL!

The uproar over this spot is absurd. Yes, it’s a risky bump, but Athena could not have been more careful Jody. It was all up to Jody how she wanted to take the fall, and she took it the hard way. Good pro wres.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2022 at 10:06 AM, porksweats said:

The Bollywood Boyz are really just that good. Definitely a highlight of the 205 Alumni

I've been to 5 Defy shows in the past year, the Bollywood Boyz have been on each one and every time they have had an absolute banger of a match. 

• Like 5

On 10/18/2022 at 4:33 PM, The Idiot King said:

There are people on Twitter shitting on this match (or rather, clips of this match) because they are concerned that Athena was somehow laying it into Jody Threat as punishment for blowing a spot, which seems completely insane to me and a total misreading of the match. Jody Threat looked good, got a great ovation and Athena looked like an absolute killer (she really may be the best wrestler in the company). It made me want to see face Toni Storm against heel Athena (or hell, vice versa, honestly) really badly. 

If hard-hitting competitive squashes are wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Not just "people"... AEW management too, apparently. Sounds like Athena has a little heat on her according to Sapp..

A match on AEW Dark from Toronto went awry, and caught the eye of many fans.

The match between Athena and local standout Jody Threat got a lot of attention for reasons that weren't evident at the start of the match. Threat got a great ovation, and Athena ended up working heel opposite Threat, but ended up getting too aggressive in the ring for AEW management.

There was a spot where Jody Threat slipped on what her comeback was supposed to be, We're told Jody Threat was a little lost and had asked Athena what was next in the match to get back on track, and then the match devolved into more physicality. Several were quick to note that while they're confident Jody Threat has no problem handling that physicality, that it shouldn't have happened anyway and the communication should have been clearer.

Those close to Athena indicated that each woman were approached by management after the match, to make sure everything was okay. One source familiar with the situation believed that should have been an opportunity to lead by example as oppose to letting it devolve. Those close to Athena believed that this was the way the match was going to go because of her having to switch to the heel role due to Jody's babyface reaction. We didn't hear of any confrontation or anything of the sort between the two women after the match.

It was reiterated to us that not everything that is being micro-analyzed on social media was a result of this situation.

We're told that Jody Threat herself didn't complain about how the match went, and hasn't spoke on the match, the situation or indicated anything out of the normal publicly. All we've heard from her side of things is that she's not big on all the attention that emanates from situations such as these, and generally tries to keep her head down to avoid political aspects of wrestling.

Fightful reached out to Jody Threat, as well as reps for Athena, but haven't heard back directly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Can that be interpreted as “heat”? Perhaps.

I can see that. I saw it more as the match got "physical", people backstage were wondering if something was up, they talked to both competitors and neither had an issue, so it was ok.

• Like 4

Just watched the match... holy hell, what a complete nothing-burger of a story. All I saw was Athena flash the instincts to to roll with the crowd and go full heel. That John Woo dropkick into the guardrail was sooooooooo f'n nasty.

• Like 5

It’s a gnarly looking move, that she does in almost every match. But the pearl clutchers wouldn’t know that, because they don’t watch the show.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Any energy spent thinking about this Cornette-flavoured outrage cycle would be better spent watching Athena's match with Swerve Strickland on Youtube. Go be happy. 

Or go watch some Jody Threat matches.  She fucking lays it in.

• Like 7

A lot of bad faith arguing and a lot of bullshit going around that Athena/Jody Threat match.

I've yet to see a single report on this actually get Threat or Athena's thoughts on the matter:

https://twitter.com/JodyThreat/status/1582357577978945536

Did some of those spots look physical and stiff? Yes they did. But like that dump to the outside, this is not the first time we've seen wrestlers get dumped to the outside and take a gnarly drop like that. I'm sure I've seen that in plenty of matches where guys get dumped and tossed over the top and no one bats an eye. 

The forearms for example, they looked physical yes, but I'm not convinced they were landing. And I mean, isn't wrestling supposed to look physical and like it hurts? Isn't that the sweet spot?

For decades people, especially on this board, have celebrated those who work snug or make it look real, even guys who work stiff. 

Now I could be wrong here, but it doesn't look like Athena was taking liberties with a lesser known talent. It looked like she improvised a bit to get things back on track after Threat was getting nervous. And get some heat back on the match after Threat VISIBLY blew some spots and looked lost.

• Like 2