DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

Got a lot of ground to cover today so I'll make this very quick.

• Full agreement on Fuego's kip up into a Northern Lights. That was good stuff.
  • JVSK wiping the sweat off Ari post match popped the announcers and was a good "spot."
  • Taz going on about the geography of Queens was the highlight of the show probably.
  • I wanted to see Ruffin do some more cool stuff but he fought from underneath well.
  • Angelico vs Conley was pretty complete.
  • They took TWO shots at JR at separate times during the show.
  • Comoroto wrestling with the lollipop in his craw and not missing a beat was a thing.
  • I thought Dante brought out all of Henry's worst tendencies because he could take all of his convoluted stuff clean. I liked the arm cutoffs though.
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

Please elaborate. 

They pretty much shoot on either JR or Jericho's commentary every week. The more subtle one was Taz goofing about on how he was a color guy doing play by play and stepping all over Excalibur and how that seems to happen to Excalibur at other times. They mention him by name later as Excalibur called Comoroto's finish an Alabama Slam and Taz took offense to that and wanted it called a Concrete Crash or whatever and Excalibur said he'd been calling it a Waterwheel Drop but JR got on his case for it and then they had a good laugh about how JR wasn't watching and wouldn't be watching so they could call it whatever.

The best one was after the first Mox vs Punk match when Taz started going on about lockups for a minute or so.

• Like 3

Calling those “shots” is kind of stretching it. Their whole gimmick on Dark is Mystery Science Theater-esque. Hell, they say Ryan Nemeth steals stuff from peoples bags on a weekly basis. I don’t think JR would be offended by anything they’ve said about him at all.

Who is this Jay Malachi? Sign that guy. Excellent Dark bout here with Fuego. VSK Jeeves always looks impressive to me. I like the way he moves around in there. Nice touch raking the eyes down the rope and then cleaning them off. This VSK is gonna be a player someday. Speaking of former Impact guys, crazy how little they let Caleb Konley show his stuff. He's been fucking terrific in everyone of his Dark bouts. They need to sign this muthafucka and give him a spot in the Wingmen crew. I mean especially now seeing as JD is focusing on 'The Working Horses'. Dante-Henry looked good, only caught it from a sideglance. Henry always impresses. I also love that Dante's putting in the reps on Dark every week and getting even better than he already is. So to Skye Blue who looked good in that mixed Elevation tag. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Seeing just a ton of negativity elsewhere whether it's over ticket sales or people sad about the Elite or some elements of the booking or whatever. And we're good at being more balanced here, which is really a hell of a thing, to be honest.

And tomorrow, we're being rewarded with a webshow with...

• Skye Blue vs Trish Adora
  • Lance Archer vs Cheeseburger
  • An Abadon squash(Abby James)
  • Dalton Castle and the Boys vs Primal Fear
  • Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford squash (Gia Scott/LSG)
  • Brian Cage vs Tracy Williams
  • Lucha Bros vs Dante Martin/Tony Deppen
  • Danhausen/Rocky/Chuck/Trent vs Factory (QT, Solo, NICKY BOY, Ogogo).

Doesn't that sound like a bunch of fun?

• Like 7

I like the shadow mixed tax team division that’s sprung up the last couple of months. The AAA belts are like the Pure championship where it’s an extra championship being defended on AEW tv that’s at least unique and creates fresh combinations of talent.

• Like 2

No DADDY MAGIC!  Skye Blue and Trish Adora!  Skye Blue needs to cut all her hair off because it keeps getting in her way!  Trish Adora got in a little bit.  It's Tracy Williams!  What's he been doing since ROH went down the first time?  I see he is going to take an ass beating from Brian Cage.  Williams needs to get up with Smart Mark Sterling.  Nice EVEREST Suplex by Williams.  Williams is getting in some submissions!  Brian Cage hits a very nice K-Driller.   Hey!  It's Cheeseburger!  It's a ROH Reunion episode of Elevation!  Oh shit, he's wrestling Lance Archer.  GNARLY unprotected Released Snap Suplex.  Abadon returns!  She's so teeny now.  Wardlow versus Brian Cage should be good.  I miss Daddy Magic.  It's Dalton Castle and the Boys with the Boy Auxillary.  Dalton goes total Steiner with some great suplexes.  AWESOME!  The Spin With The Bang-a-Rang by the Boys is the key to quality wrestling viewing.  Oh RIGHT!  I remember LSG now.  Gia Scott is like 6'1".  Penelope Ford looks awesome in this.  This is every guy in ROH.  It's Tony Deppen.  It's the Lucha Brothers and they get to really tell a story with these two dudes.  Dante Martin and Rey Fenix have a history of being GOLD in the ring together.  They are GOLD in the ring early.  Deppen is awesome in this.  They told a little story before CRUSHING Deppen.   That was good.  The Factory!  NICKY BOY!  It's Danhausen!  Danhausen is old school ROH so every match is covered in the Remember ROH theme of the evening.  The crowd gets behind Rocky Romero's STRUGGLE to escape the HORROR that is the Factory's collective offense!  Danhausen helps with the finisher!  That was fun.  Eh, three good matches (Ford/Sabian vs Gia Scott/LSG, Deppen/Martin vs Penta/ Fenix, Best Friends vs the Factory)  makes a good episode of  Elevation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm quickly becoming Gordi watching everyone bitch about AEW Ticket Sales and horrible creative or whatever. Or whatever interview Andrade had recently. PWO is brutal right now. Post after post of bitching when there's still so much positive out there. You can complain about things you don't like, but when there's so much positive and I never hear you talking about it at all, it makes me wonder why you're even making yourself miserable like this? Proverbial You. That's probably on PWO. And one guy in the ROH thread. And a gimmick poster. You know who you are. Anyway, there's a lot of things to enjoy. Take this episode of Elevation for instance.

• You know who'd hit a missile dropkick with an engaged, into the action, "on" expression? Skye Blue. She always seems so happy when she hits spots. Adora was a good counterpoint, good base, etc. I'm as high on Blue's upside as anyone's in the company. Between how hard she hits (and gets hit) and how thoroughly she hits her character work, just a ton of potential. They should send her to TJPW on an excursion though.
  • Cage vs Williams really overachieved. I haven't seen a ton of Cage outside of Lucha Underground but the mark against him is always that the mix of working big and working small doesn't work out. Here it sort of did. Williams was technically sound enough to be able to handle the strength spots, but he couldn't handle both the strength AND the savvy/speed/wrestling acumen. It was just too much for him. They kept it interesting and competitive though. The weird 80s backdrop promo worked for how over the top it was. I can only imagine how Wardlow vs Cage will go. On some level, I'm just glad Wardlow is healthy for it.
  • Archer squished Cheeseburger but at least he got a little hope. I like Archer hitting the Blackout from any angle. Fans were somewhat into Cheeseburger, but really they only cared about Danhausen on this night.
  • I always get the sense that Abadon really wants to make the most of her appearances. Here it was mimicking her opponent until she got hit and then just unloading on her. Just trying to do new things and work them in. There's no reason she's not working someone ever week on Dark from my perspective. She's really not getting a ton of work elsewhere or anything. Send her to TJPW too. Why the hell not?
  • Dalton and the Boys weren't nearly as over as you'd expect. Except for with Big Show. I've heard Wight do some local radio interviews lately and that's a big reason why he's there, but I was missing Menard. It made sense why he didn't announce as he had the first match on Dynamite, of course. Match was good. There's something ritual/celebratory about the "Suplexes > Throwing Boys > Finisher" sequence but it works for Elevation. That's how you get stuff over.
  • Kip and Penelope had a bunch of fun spots in there. Look, I only have seen a couple of months of Kip but I like his little dodge-play at the beginning and the crowd conducting thing is good. I will say that Penelope seems somehow lesser when she's in with him, whether it's coming out to his music instead of hers or his antics being more of the centerpiece of the match. That's a shame. They should run Kip/Penelope as de facto faces against Sammy/Tay.
  • Lucha Bros vs Deppen/Martin was a mess, but a fun one. Deppen in there felt like a name teamed with Paul Roma, despite the fact Deppen is good in his own right. He's just not presented as such, but he made for good contrast with Dante here and I liked how he caught the glove. Fenix and Dante matching up made me want a singles match. Finish was all about a lack of familiarity between Deppen and Martin which worked for me.
  • Main event was disappointing as I was promised Ogogo. Clayton and Solo are way too similar in their strengths to be in the same unit unless you were going to work them as some sort of samey tag team. Comoroto might be the best "Cut off" guy in the company. QT's Danhausenian antics were amusing and he got real heat. A lot of knees in this one. Maybe too many. The finish was a blast with everyone trying to do the Strong Zero and Danhausen finally getting it with a weak double axe handle.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Fenix and Dante matching up made me want a singles match.

They had a match on the May 4th Dynamite that was absolutely killer.  I should know as I was there for it and we were losing our minds so much it drained the crowd's energy for quite a while.  Also didn't help the main event was met with silence though things picked up for Rampage.  But anyway, definitely check that out.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm quickly becoming Gordi watching everyone bitch about AEW Ticket Sales and horrible creative or whatever. Or whatever interview Andrade had recently. PWO is brutal right now. Post after post of bitching when there's still so much positive out there. You can complain about things you don't like, but when there's so much positive and I never hear you talking about it at all, it makes me wonder why you're even making yourself miserable like this? Proverbial You. That's probably on PWO. And one guy in the ROH thread. And a gimmick poster. You know who you are. Anyway, there's a lot of things to enjoy. Take this episode of Elevation for instance.

• You know who'd hit a missile dropkick with an engaged, into the action, "on" expression? Skye Blue. She always seems so happy when she hits spots. Adora was a good counterpoint, good base, etc. I'm as high on Blue's upside as anyone's in the company. Between how hard she hits (and gets hit) and how thoroughly she hits her character work, just a ton of potential. They should send her to TJPW on an excursion though.
  • Cage vs Williams really overachieved. I haven't seen a ton of Cage outside of Lucha Underground but the mark against him is always that the mix of working big and working small doesn't work out. Here it sort of did. Williams was technically sound enough to be able to handle the strength spots, but he couldn't handle both the strength AND the savvy/speed/wrestling acumen. It was just too much for him. They kept it interesting and competitive though. The weird 80s backdrop promo worked for how over the top it was. I can only imagine how Wardlow vs Cage will go. On some level, I'm just glad Wardlow is healthy for it.
  • Archer squished Cheeseburger but at least he got a little hope. I like Archer hitting the Blackout from any angle. Fans were somewhat into Cheeseburger, but really they only cared about Danhausen on this night.
  • I always get the sense that Abadon really wants to make the most of her appearances. Here it was mimicking her opponent until she got hit and then just unloading on her. Just trying to do new things and work them in. There's no reason she's not working someone ever week on Dark from my perspective. She's really not getting a ton of work elsewhere or anything. Send her to TJPW too. Why the hell not?
  • Dalton and the Boys weren't nearly as over as you'd expect. Except for with Big Show. I've heard Wight do some local radio interviews lately and that's a big reason why he's there, but I was missing Menard. It made sense why he didn't announce as he had the first match on Dynamite, of course. Match was good. There's something ritual/celebratory about the "Suplexes > Throwing Boys > Finisher" sequence but it works for Elevation. That's how you get stuff over.
  • Kip and Penelope had a bunch of fun spots in there. Look, I only have seen a couple of months of Kip but I like his little dodge-play at the beginning and the crowd conducting thing is good. I will say that Penelope seems somehow lesser when she's in with him, whether it's coming out to his music instead of hers or his antics being more of the centerpiece of the match. That's a shame. They should run Kip/Penelope as de facto faces against Sammy/Tay.
  • Lucha Bros vs Deppen/Martin was a mess, but a fun one. Deppen in there felt like a name teamed with Paul Roma, despite the fact Deppen is good in his own right. He's just not presented as such, but he made for good contrast with Dante here and I liked how he caught the glove. Fenix and Dante matching up made me want a singles match. Finish was all about a lack of familiarity between Deppen and Martin which worked for me.
  • Main event was disappointing as I was promised Ogogo. Clayton and Solo are way too similar in their strengths to be in the same unit unless you were going to work them as some sort of samey tag team. Comoroto might be the best "Cut off" guy in the company. QT's Danhausenian antics were amusing and he got real heat. A lot of knees in this one. Maybe too many. The finish was a blast with everyone trying to do the Strong Zero and Danhausen finally getting it with a weak double axe handle.

I used to be of the thinking that hiding certain users would make threads difficult to read, but it's fine. When they are saying the same things over and over and over with no real response, it's easy to do.

Also, it's a shame what PWO has become. That used to be a great place to go and sit and read through really in-depth and well-thought-out analysis. Now, it's like three posters all talking over each other.

Edited by Log
additional thoughts
  • Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 hours ago, Matt D said:

I always get the sense that Abadon really wants to make the most of her appearances. Here it was mimicking her opponent until she got hit and then just unloading on her. Just trying to do new things and work them in. There's no reason she's not working someone ever week on Dark from my perspective. She's really not getting a ton of work elsewhere or anything. Send her to TJPW too. Why the hell not?

She was supposed to go last month but something didn't work out in the visa process. The same thing happened to Willow. Hopefully they both get another chance to go and it was just a temporary snag.

re: Abadon, I know she trains with Dustin in the Austin area, and there are like 3 or 4 indies doing shows every couple of months, but I never see her booked for those. None of them are huge but a couple are well established and bring in outside people.

Sorry I'm late!  A lot of little things added up to me being SQUEAKY CLEAN and 45 minutes late!  Hey!  It's Marina Shafir!  Sio Nieves is new to me.  She is wee.  Marina does JOINT MANIPULATION!  Marina does a slight variation on her usual finisher!  Hey!  It's AR Fox!  It's Ari Diavari!  This should be good.  Parker Boudreax CHEATS!  Nice Spinning Brainbuster by Fox!  Fox does neat things to set up a STUNNER!  And a CUTTER!  This match is good.  MORE CUTTERS! FOR TWO!  Diavari LOWBLOWS FOX!  FOR THE WIN!  Hell, get AR Fox to join the Trustbusters.  Josh Woods!  He's a freak.  Tony Nese is really good.  It's Invictus Khash and Rohit Raju!  Khash and Raju would be a good addition to the IMPACT! tag situation.  They don't last long on DARK.  FREYA THE SLAYAH!  ALASKA'S FINEST!  It's Abadon again!  Abadon whips out a Rana!  FRANKENSTEINER BY ABADON!  Abadon bumps BIG onto the steel steps!  This is an actual match.  BLACK DAHLIA!  Abadon is so athletic suddenly.  That was good.  Are the Renegade Twins signed to a special DARK contract?  They are always on the STICK! on DARK.  Holy shit!  Blake Christian versus Slim J!  This should be good.  This match is an indie main event.  Slim J is making Blake look like a million bucks.  SONNY KISS CHEATS!  AND CHEATS AGAIN!  Slim J throws GREAT punches.  Slim J takes the springboard Lariat like a CHAMP!  Slim J's finishing sequence is awesome!  That was really good.  It's Eli Isom!  Cezar Bononi!  He hits a big Beel!  Then he does a very elaborate set up against Not Isom to set up Nemeth's comical finisher.  Parker Boudreaux CRUSHES Terry Kidd, who I'm not familiar with.  Skye Blue takes on Robyn Renegade!  Renegade attacks from behind!  Charlett distracts Blue allowing Robyn to dropkick her off the apron!  Robyn lays in the chops!  Skye Blue lays in the chops!  Robyn takes the Flying Headscissors like Buster Keaton in 1925 and I now LOVE this match.  Skye Blue with the Flatliner!  That was good.  It's Not Bear Country!  Gordlow weeps quietly to himself.  JT Davidson channels Vickie Guerrero.  Bronson is so wee now.  Morales is teeny.  Boulder out Keith Lees Keith Lee by hitting an INSANE Beel.  This is an ACTUAL squash of Morales.  Dante Martin and Matt Sydel take on the Workhorsemen!  This should be good.   They set up this match with the singles match last week.  Martin starts off SPECTACULAR early.  Anthiny Henry with the El Hijo del Santo Neck Crank!  JD Drake applies a Spinning Toe Hold!  For a second!  Drake lays in the chops!  Matt Sydel gets the crowd behind his STRUGGLE to escape the 1980s offense of the Workhorsemen!  Workhorsemen make this a TRUE Southern tag match by dragging Martin off the apron right before Sydel can make the hot tag!   GREAT PILEDRIVER ON THE FLOOR that Martin does a total RVD sell of.  Henry is a HEAT MACHINE! by taunting Sydel while Martin is still CRUSHED by the Piledriver.  Anthony Henry is Piledriver CRAZY!  Dante MAKES IT TO THE APRON and MAKES THE HOT TAG!  Nice Lariat by Martin.  Nice Powerbomb by Henry.  Drake hits a very beautiful Moonsault to NOWHERE!  NOSEDIVE!  That was great!  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3