DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

On 8/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, J.T. said:

Are we past Kip's injury angle and the stalking of Penelope, or have they returned to seek sweet revenge on Miro?  Penelope is House of Black materiel.  Kip?  Maybe not so much, especially since he still appears to be wearing that fucking box on his head.

IIRC he was at ringside during PAC's latest AEW All Atlantic title challenge doing his Unknown Wrestler thing.

He already took the box off his head at his local indy to set up a match with his former tag partner in October, so I'm sure it won't be long. Especially if we get him vs Pac soon from the UK.

Random thought:

Lots of talk lately about Rampage's rating, ROH's future, the lack of emphasis on the Darks, a possible all-women show -

What if we're looking at the way they do TV through too much of a traditional lense?

I found myself randomly reading about the airing history of GWF and AWA on ESPN recently, for no reason at all other than nerddom, and had this thought:

What if, instead of a one-hour Rampage every Friday, there was a standalone Rampage taping every weekend that allowed for 4 half hour episodes to be aired every weekday except Wednesday? (Or depending on time slot, Wednesday's show could be a commercial for Dynamite, while every third Friday's is done live prior to taping the next three). It might be a bit of a nightmare in terms of having to tape that far ahead, but a lot of the show sort of exists in its own canon sometimes anyway (which is why I threw in the fact that this may work better for something like Dark, ROH, or All Elite Women). In terms of ad revenue and pure exposure to the product, not to mention having to pay talent for fewer dates, it might end up being more advantageous, but obviously I'm not privvy to any of those numbers to make that determination, just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

It's Arik Cannon!  Josh Woods is a beast.  Tony Nese makes Arik Cannon look like a million bucks.  I was thinking earlier today after watching Baliyan Akki versus Calvin Tankman, Akki should get drafted into the Dark Order.  He can give really intense promos and is a decent highflier- the two things the Dark Order is missing.  (But don't listen to me.)  Daddy Magic is fun on commentary.  That was quick.  It's Sierra!  She is the Jamie Hayter of the indies.  It's Serena Deeb!  She is the Arn Anderson of the AEW Women's Division- in that she is over as a babyface though she is a total heel.  That was fine.  It's Konosuke Takeshita for the last time until October.  It's Cezar Bononi!  Oh man, they do a Steiner versus Steiner match early and I'm loving it.  So they are having an actual match as Cezar hits a SWEET Tiger Driver for TWO!  Okay, Lard Lad crushes his skull with a knee to the face.  Thus ends the Summer Of The Cinnabomb.  Julia Hart has a cool House Of Black shirt.  Julia is all vicious attacking Free Range Kara!  Kara gets in a little offense before stretching by Julia commences.  Awesome!  Daddy Magic has a gambling addiction.  Private Party look awesome.  Penelope Ford is back!  And Kip Sabian is gearing up to getting murdered by PAC.  Heather Reckless is 4'9"!  She's tiny!  She gets in some stuff!  She is completely awesome in the indies.  I forgot how awesome Ford is.  What a great submission.  Daddy Magic reacting to Max Caster kissing the hand of his victim is hilarious.  THUNDERSTORM! and HIKARU SHIDA!  It's MARINA SHAFIR!  NYLA ROSE! and EMI SAKURA!  I love the shirt that Toni Storm is wearing.  She is such an Australian gal channeling a Poison groupie.  That was quick.  Best match was Bononi vs Takeshita.  Nothing great.  Nothing horrible.

• Like 5

Yeah, I'm pretty sure wrestling happened there but I was distracted by the entertaining commentary. Shafir participating in the cup of tea spot is funny. Deeb absolutely crushed Sierra with the Deebtox (is that what it's called?). Takeshita crushed Cesar with the knee off the top. Julia continues to use some of that Moolah offense of just tossing her opponent around and it's great. She got into the submission very quick this time around. Glad that "Julia" is gone from the shirt but I don't feel like the House of Black would be walking around with shirts that say "House of Black." Private Party really did look awesome. Final Women's match needed 4 more minutes. Oh yeah, Penelope Ford looked really glad to be there and we're glad that she was there too. But mostly, Menard.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

This show had Menard commentating and a woman named "Free Range Kara" wrestling. That's just amazing.

What's Kara's gimmick? Does she get counted out every match for just wandering off?

• Haha 1

Menard was tremendous on commentary. Definitely would not mind more of him.

I don't recall the last time I saw Paul Wight on Dark. Is he hurt or something?

Edited by BrianS81177

It's Dark Fuego Del Sol!  It's Ari Daivari!  Fuego is over at Universal.  Fuego is fun on offense and then he throws his body into making Daivari look like a total murderer.  They give this a load of time and Fuego is all about babyface FIRE!  Fun nearfalls on Fuego's babyface run of offense!  Van Daminator by Fuego!  FOR TWO!  Asai Moonsault by Fuego!  Trustbusters distract Fuego afterwards!  Daivari hits a Love Machine Splash for the win!  That was good.  I love that the Trustbusters are a working class stable of forgotten wrestlers financed by a billionaire.  Daivari is HHH.  It's Robin Renegade!  Willow Nightingale is over anywhere.  Willow is BamBam Bigelow!   Renegades CHEAT!  YES!  Actually, Willow is Ryo Mizunami.  I don't know who I like more- Daddy Magic or Taz?  Renegades SWITCHEROO!  Charlette switches in to take a Spinebuster and a Doctor Bomb.  Willow is awesome.  So this episode is the polar opposite of Elevation, as all of these match are all telling a little story.  I'm trying to remember if Luther was back when this was taped.  Obviously not.  Brock is growing his hair out.  He looks like that guy who kissed Jackie in the cheese shop on That 70s Show.  Serpentico is so fucking great fixating on Arn.  This is so the first match on World Wide in 1996.  Brock with a very Arn-like DDT.  Very Arn-like Spinebuster!  That was good.  Abadon!  She's from North Dakota?  Mafiosa is someone whose name I can't recall.  Abadon has been working on her craft with Dustin, obviously.  Oh awesome!  Baliyan Akki!  Against Angelico!  Akki looks good.  Angelico does a totally fucked up version of an Octopus Hold.  That was good.  Whoa!  Renee Michelle!  She should be a Baddie.  It's Emi Sakura who is on a roll.  Every match is telling a little story tonight so this is the funnest episode of DARK in a while.  Missile Dropkick by Michelle!  Emi hits her finisher but keeps going.  That was good.  Josh Woods is a beast.  Cobra!  He went on to become Fake Sting!  Cobra was kind of a lummox.  It's Invictus Khash!  He's pushed on Championship Wrestling From Hollywood!  I assume he is losing to Rohit Raju.  Invictus wrestling babyface is WRONG.  Kash looks great in this before he it all goes to hell.  It's Charlette Renegade!  She gets to lose twice in one show!  This time against Skye Blue!  The Renegades should definitely have Taz sing them to the ring.  Charlette is a good heel- as her offense is all hard edged and nasty.  I love that Robin forgot to let her hair down so she couldn't do a switcheroo!  The GUNTHERization of Bear Bronson continues.  He is becoming very wee.  Bear Boulder is still a total fat boy.  Bronson is tiny enough to be a legit face in peril now.  It's weird. Fun double Cannonball!  Oh, Kayla Rossi was the gal who was accompanying Joey Janelly to the ring back in the day.  She looks good.  AEW needs more Power Ladies.  That was a nasty Jackhammer.  Pretty Peter Avalon, THE PRETTIEST BOY IN AEW!  Markos Cross doesn't have his hair up so he has already thrown in the towel.  Cezar Bononi is fun.  Blake Christian vs Powerhouse Hobbs!  This should be good.  I assume this will be like Darby Allin versus Brodie King.  JESUS!  What a fucking Lariat by Hobbs.  Yeah, this is Allin/King.  The third Spinebuster of the evening!  That was good.  That was a fun laid back episode of DARK.  The best match is a toss up between Willow vs Charlette Renegade and Hobbs/Christian.  If Christian had a slightly longer comeback, it would have won.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

This show had Menard commentating and a woman named "Free Range Kara" wrestling. That's just amazing.

She's on a show I'm going to next month, against Taryn from Accounting. That is two quality pro wrestling names

• Like 4

Caught the last third or so of today’s show. Emi was great, Skye was great, Rohit Raju was a surprisingly good promo. I need PPA’s Wingmen shirt. I like Blake Christian a lot even though he looks like the douche from that show Good Girls. Final thought: a trio of Bear Country and Josh Woods.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Menard was tremendous on commentary. Definitely would not mind more of him.

I don't recall the last time I saw Paul Wight on Dark. Is he hurt or something?

He did an interview recently where he said he needed to get his hip redone again.

• Sad 1

Should be a fun show:

• Week 2 of Daddy Magic Commentary
  • The big match being Emi/Itoh vs Shida/Skye
  • Squashes for Woods/Nese, Dark Order (6 man), Death Triangle (6 man), Dante, Anna, Julia, Deeb.
  • A Mixed Tag enhancement match with Ortiz and Ruby.
  • Like 5