DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

Oh, it looks like a MIXED DARK!  I'm guessing it will switch between Grand Rapids and Universal.  Private Party are spectacular in this.  Isiah Broner and Isiah Kassidy never actually hooked up.  Megan Meyers!  I hope she looks as good as she did yesterday.  Anna JAS is secretly dating Jungle Boy!  SCANDALOUS!  He's a BABYFACE!  She needs to Tay Conti Jungle Boy and turn him evil!  Megan Meyers didn't get much in.  Hey!  It's Ren Jones!  He's good.  I wonder if Chuck Taylor will continue being King's Road Chuck Taylor. Rohit Raju is fun being a dick.  Ren Jones is even funner!  They didn't get much in but FUN!  Chuck Taylor didn't do any high angle suplexes.  Faction Ingobernables are so awesome.  Is so awesome.  SO AWESOME.  BRING IN DRAGON LEE ALREADY.  Pretty Peter Avalon- THE PRETTIEST BOY IN AEW!  It's JD Drake!  PPA beats the shit out of Evil Uno!  JD Drake starts beating the shit of Evil Uno!  Evil Uno is having the shit beaten out of him.  PPA with a BEATIFUL Top Rope Flying Cross Body!  PPA and Drake are the BEST POSSIBLE VERSION OF THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS! Preston Vance makes the Hot Tag and kills PPA.  Sad really.... PPA is the best wrestler IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLING!  FUCK LOU THESZ AND ED THE STRANGLER LEWIS!  It's Nyla Rose and Marina Shafir!  It's Heather Reckless!  She is 4'9"!  She is a wee wrestler!  She doesn't do well in this match.  TELL'EM VICKIE!  GET OFF YOUR PHONE!  They are now the Beasts of Burden.  Heather Reckless doesn't do well postmatch either.  I know it's fun to say SIGN HER, TK!  But TK really needs to sign Sierra.  He also needs to sign Davienne and make them a tag team.  They are completely fucking awesome.  She is budding Jamie Hayter of the Indies.  She shows a little bit of it here before Kris Statlander crushes her like a bug. If TK doesn;t sign her, she should definitely become a KnockOut.  HEy!  It's Sonny Kiss!  Where has Kiss been?  It's the Trustbusters!  Parker Boudreaux is in a longer enhancement match.  I assume this is to show them as contenders to the ROH six man titles.  Slim J and Sonny Kiss are MAGIC in the ring.  Zack Claytoin and Slim J are magic in the ring.  Xavier somebody and Slim J is magic in the ring.  Sonny Kiss turns his back on his team mates while the Trustbusters crushes them like bugs!  Slim J is fucking spectacular.  Boudreaux destroys whoever he destroyed.  Sonny Kiss joining the Trustbusters is exciting.  ROH TV is going to rule.  Athena two days in a row!  I wonder who she slaughters in this match.  I SO want a Jamie Hayter/Athena match.  And a Toni Storm/Athena match.  Athena is prolly the best wrestler in AEW.  FUCK PRETTY PETER AVALON!  Serena Deeb and Ruby Soho are MAGIC in the ring.  This match is fun.  I see that Leva Bates is the one to get slaughtered by Athena.  Serena Deeb is so fucking awesome snapping Soho's arm across the ropes and spindles and mutilates her wrist in an Octapus Hold!  They have a very elaborate finish and that match was really fun.  So now I want to see Serena Deeb versus Ruby Soho.  Serena Deeb should align with Tay Jay and show them how to be REALLY hateful jezebels!  JANE!  versus Anthony Henry, who I think is secretly signed to ROH.  So much fucking about with these Orange Cassidy matches.  Henry is great working against Cassidy's fucking around.  Drake CHEATS by hitting his bounce off the ropes thingy.  Cassidy is so great at telling a story in the ring.  Cassidy is Konosuke Takeshita of AEW!  AEW RULES THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is my new favourite DEAN quote, ever:

"PPA and Drake are the BEST POSSIBLE VERSION OF THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS!"

Also, your thoughts on Lou Thesz and Strangler Lewis got a loud and legitimate lol out of me.

Also, trying to figure out the Trust Busters theme led to this video showing up in my YouTube feed, and now I have a new favourite song!

Lots of new favourites already today, and it's only 9:18 am.

Considering my new favourite song is called "Storm" maybe Tony should buy it and give it to Toni.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t say I enjoyed everything the way that Dean did, but I totally agree that I now want to see a Ruby Soho-Serena Deeb match, they worked really well together.

Best match was women’s trio (which isn’t that uncommon for YT shows). I can’t wait to see Athena have a longer, more competitive singles match; she did a spinning back kick that doubled Bates over and shoved her about 5 feet backward. Plus the true shotgun dropkick (one of my favorite things in Joshi). It was obvious Bates was there to eat the pin but she got a fair amount in.

Second was the main. Orange Cassidy is on such a roll right now, and Anthony Henry was up to the challenge as well. JD Drake selling the beating from earlier was awesome and old school, Corny would approve.

Speaking of, Drake and PPA vs the DO bigs was also very good. Wingmen Industries, Inc., UP are my fave YouTube faction and I do hope if they have dedicated ROH that Workhorsemen get some airtime and a shot at the tag belts.

I liked TrustBusters more than I would have thought, and if it gives us more Sonny Kiss then I’m good with it. Sonny is very good, so athletic but also capable of being stiff.

The rest was really squashy and there. Anna JAS needs to stop the teeth-clench mean thing, it looks so dumb.

• Like 4

How long has Shida been back in the States?!?! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she's been on the TNT/TBS shows yet. Super pleasant surprise. I was just talking a second ago in the other thread about Hayter and Jade getting world title reigns, but I also really want Shida to get another run with full crowds, she's great.

• Like 1

Whatever gives us more Sonny Kiss, I'm in favour of. I can't think of anyone in AEW who's been there since the first show and has been more underutilised.

• Like 4

So, we've had Submissions Night, Cartwheel Night, and now we have Parejas Incompatibles Night.  I've seen Kiss work heel in the Jersey indies and kick the living shit out of people, so turning on his teammates and joining the Trustbusters was unexpected but not surprising.  Anything that keeps Kiss employed and murdering for my amusement is fine by me.

Poor Leva Bates.  She is not Blue Pants anymore.  Gone are her days of upset wins.  Put her on a team with Emi and Deeb against Shida, Athena, and Ruby and it is kinda obvious who is going to get pinned clean as a sheet.  I did not believe for one minute that the heel team would emerge victorious.  At least they did Leva the courtesy of having her get quasi killed by Shida's sketchy zero impact knee and spared her Queen Aminata's death by Athena's flying neck disc annihilator.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

How long has Shida been back in the States?!?! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she's been on the TNT/TBS shows yet. Super pleasant surprise. I was just talking a second ago in the other thread about Hayter and Jade getting world title reigns, but I also really want Shida to get another run with full crowds, she's great.

Shida has been back at least since Blood And Guts

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Shida has been back at least since Blood And Guts

Well, she's been flying back and forth for a little while.

• Like 4

Apparently if Leva takes a bad bump, she loses her sense of hearing for a couple of days.

She should probably retire from the in-ring aspect of wrestling.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Whatever gives us more Sonny Kiss, I'm in favour of. I can't think of anyone in AEW who's been there since the first show and has been more underutilised.

Sonny is incredibly over with the live crowds, too.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently if Leva takes a bad bump, she loses her sense of hearing for a couple of days.

She should probably retire from the in-ring aspect of wrestling.

I agree.  She's good on commentary and is an excellent person to have behind the scenes handling various aspects of production.  She doesn't need to be in a ring or on the apron jeopardizing her physical wellbeing, especially if all she's there to do is job and put other people over.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Justin Roberts kept asking us if we wanted Sonny Kiss all night before their match, and frankly outside of when Jane hit for Orange, Sonny got the biggest Pre-show pop of the night.

Also everytime we cheered, he said come on louder folks, the guys backstage hear everything.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Two of the biggest examples of "pop is not commensurate with card placement" in AEW have to be Sonny and Willow Nightingale. I haven't seen Sonny live yet, but they always get a great reaction on TV - Willow I've seen live twice, and both times there was an honest-to-goodness "we now collectively recognize your ring music" full blown pop. Wish nothing but big things for both of em.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

Most of the problems with card placement vs crowd pops can be solved by TK getting off of his ass and making RoH a real thing and not just something that exists during PPVs.  That way you can main event or upper mid-card Dark and Dark Elevation talent like Willow and Sonny and bring some crowd heat for the home stretch.  It is kinda sad that the Dark and Dark Elevation mid-card usually generates more pops than the upper card.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Wrestling fans have been conditioned to think that cheering for underpushed midcarders makes you a better fan than those Marks who cheer the ace face. I blame Matt Cardona.

Fun night of Taz & Excalibur on Dark...  I loved Taz's reaction to Ren Jones. Also loving the Trustbusters' theme music.  Glad to finally see Zack Clayton back on, he's my 'dark regular that I hope they do more with' especially ever since he got a win back in Feb but nothing came of that. 

• Like 2

I caught most of this Tuesday night and then spent most of Wednesday thinking it was Tuesday and that Dark would be on that night, so that's where we are here.

• They really need to let Isaiah Broner do something on one of these sometime soon. 
  • In total agreement on the idea that Anna Jay's roll then stop then kick should not be an every match move. It's not a surprise that she's going to hit you from that angle if she does it every match. 
  • Rush's hybrid promos are fun and fit his character a lot more than Andrade's fit his. It's so weird having Jose there when he never actually talks for them, right? He's basically Alexandra York who becomes Virgil whenever he takes his shirt off.
  • Ok, look, if I was an AEW Agent, and I don't think Pat Buck is a big DVDVR lurker, so this probably won't help, but those moves where you position one opponent into a compromised hold by the other opponent and then make opponent 1 hit a move on opponent 2 by doing a move yourself? The WHOLE company gets one of those a month. One a month. No more. Please. 
  • I am really glad they're going to do something with Sonny and Davari's good and Slim J is instantly a top.... 10? 5? guy in the company just by walking in the door, which says a ton, and I get that it'd have a harder time leading to matches, but considering Stoke is getting people up and down the roster anyway, they really should have used Kiss as a Baddie if they were going to go for a turn anyway. The minute we got of Kiss vs Slim J was really good. Bordeaux is just visually offputting due to his tattoos and weird baby face. I'd say get a beard but it'd probably be all ginger and goofy. He should wear a cut off shirt/tanktop thing. I think that would help. Look, sorry, it's weird, ok?
  • Six women match really delivered. Big surprise. I am no madman and I'm not getting into the "they're booking the women all wrong" discussion, but I get a match like this every week and I enjoy it every week. Yes, getting ROH TV would help, but just making Dark feel more like a big deal without changing anything else about the presentation would go a long way. Not on this board necessarily, but I get the sense that a lot of people who complain about it all will never, ever see this match. If this match exists, and it's free and easy to see, and it's so much fun, why not seek it out? It's a hell of a lot more effort to watch Dynamite in 2022 than it is to watch Dark. Anyway, my big take here is that whenever some chocopro person isn't there, Leva Bates should always second Emi. She fully understands the performative aspect of wrestling in that sort of "High School Theater" way and it'd all be great fun. 

Next week, if it's not both Dark and Elevation taped at once, we get a really long show, with ol' injured Daddy Magic on commentary with Excalibur, which will either be awesome or get old quick. 

Squashes: Nese/Woods (Arik Cannon); Dark Order; Deeb (Sierra); Julia (Free Range Kara); Private Party; Ford (Reckless); Acclaimed
And then Nemeth/Takeshita II and Rosa/Storm/Shida vs Emi/Nyla/Shafir, which goes to what I said above. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

• Ok, look, if I was an AEW Agent, and I don't think Pat Buck is a big DVDVR lurker, so this probably won't help, but those moves where you position one opponent into a compromised hold by the other opponent and then make opponent 1 hit a move on opponent 2 by doing a move yourself? The WHOLE company gets one of those a month. One a month. No more. Please. 

I'll add one addendum: The WHOLE company gets one a month, and Emi also gets one a month that doesn't count against the company total.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I'll add one addendum: The WHOLE company gets one a month, and Emi also gets one a month that doesn't count against the company total.

Man, total truth; I was thinking that too but decided not to put it down. The Emi Exception. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DEAN said:

Awesome!

Are we past Kip's injury angle and the stalking of Penelope, or have they returned to seek sweet revenge on Miro?  Penelope is House of Black materiel.  Kip?  Maybe not so much, especially since he still appears to be wearing that fucking box on his head.

IIRC he was at ringside during PAC's latest AEW All Atlantic title challenge doing his Unknown Wrestler thing.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Are we past Kip's injury angle and the stalking of Penelope, or have they returned to seek sweet revenge on Miro?  Penelope is House of Black materiel.  Kip?  Maybe not so much, especially since he still appears to be wearing that fucking box on his head.

IIRC he was at ringside during PAC's latest AEW All Atlantic title challenge doing his Unknown Wrestler thing.

I guess we will find out on Elevation! And yeah, Pac was the first one to finally interact with ol' Boxxy Kip (who has had a match back from injury but nothing in AEW proper yet)

• Like 1