DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

I know very little about AR Fox, but every time I see him I'm impressed. Private Party looked good here. I really hope Angelico finds himself in that ROH Pure Division at some point. Yet to see Storm-Emi. How do I get over this feeling of not wanting to ever see another Dark Order match again? I mean I like all these guys, but the stable and babyface persona is as stale as any gimmick I can remember. JD's a great hand always, but I hope he and Anthony Henry as the Workhorsemen get a bit more serious consideration in the ROH tag division. Takeshita is obviously the best wrestler in the world right now. He or Darby. Or FTR or the Briscoes. One of them. Oh wait, Danielson is back this week.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, just drew said:

PAC is at the top of the “go out of my way to watch” list right now…

For the longest time, PAC was a guy that had some fancy stuff, but I could never really connect with him.

Fairly recently, I caught myself thinking, "Is this guy the best in the world?" watching one of his matches.  I don't think he is, but he's up there.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jiji said:

Whoa, when did Quen shave his head? He looks great. The old style was nice to get noticed but I'm glad he's moved on from it. Looked good in the ring too, especially that b beautiful springboard crossbody to a seated opponent. Private Party (and probably Angelico too) would be great additions to ROH. I feel like while they may not have the momentum they had a couple years ago after beating the Bucks, between the heel run and working under Hardy they've improved substantially. Way better at filling gaps between their spots, particularly Kassidy. 

Smart layout to delay Fox's entrance into the match and better still to give him a very nice hot tag. Are any of his trainees any good? I used to see a few of them back when I watched the indies and some of 'em seemed like they had potential. In a better world, AR Fox would be on TV doing zany shit with the likes of Darby every other week. Still only 34, so it's not out of the question, but damn.

Baliyan Akki sighting! He's no Lulu Pencil (please come back), but still cool to see him in AEW. I'm glad Toni gave Emi lots of time in control, because even though everybody knew what was up, Sakura is so charismatic and has so many interactive fun spots that the crowd came along for the ride. Even with all the miles and clearly slowing down (I remember big shoulder issues in Chocopro before her excursion), Sakura is probably the best bell-to-bell talent in the women's division (Deeb is overrated imo). Storm did well fighting from underneath and selling too. She's probably better in that role than the dominant ass kicker she's been assigned so far but overall she's a good addition and better than I remember her being.

At me to the group that thinks Angelico deserves more than just the youtube shows.

AR Fox has a drug charge on his record which might be why he's never really worked for the larger companies (you'd think he'd of got a look when HHH was scooping up everybody who was somebody on the indys)

Emi always feels like her Queen sing-along gimmick should make her a face

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

For the longest time, PAC was a guy that had some fancy stuff, but I could never really connect with him.

Fairly recently, I caught myself thinking, "Is this guy the best in the world?" watching one of his matches.  I don't think he is, but he's up there.

I’ve had that same thought. He’s top five, and in 2020 he might’ve been…

• Like 1

I'm just caught up on last week's Dark. QT vs Fuego had a ridiculous amount of false finishes. The Jay Lethal thing was a nice piece of business. Even the stuff I want to rush through, like the Varsity Blondes match has really funny Taz commentary about being struck by lightning in Des Moines so you're hesitant to skip anything.

Oh yeah, Elevation. JD vs Takeshita was really good. I like how Drake was really leaning on him and it was just two moves out of nowhere that stunned him for a quick win. Also Emi having an answer for everything Toni could do was pretty awesome.

Edited by Matt D
  • Thanks 1

Kiera Hogan!  She does a wee Flying Hip Attack! RATINGS!  TEEN AGE BOYS!  Man, Allie Wrecks needs a sammich.  Ryan Nemeth should start a regular tag team with Pretty Peter Avalon- PPRYAN!  I would watch. Pretty Peter Avalon at ringside is so the best thing about this match.  What is he DOING?  Alex Reynolds looked good, I guess.  Marina Shafir wrestles on DARK.  This won't last long.  She doesn't tell a little story.  HEY! It's SLIM J!  It's Factory Man, Blake Li!  This should be good.  Slim J is soooo the wiry redneck in your homeroom you never wanted to fuck with.  Slim J TELLS A LITTLE STORY!  He is a Southern heel so beat a bit of heat onto Blake Li!  Blake Li makes a comeback and Slim J cuts him off and applies a GREAT submission.  Hey!  It's Renee Michelle!  SHE should be a Baddie. She's from DC.  Julia Hart is now menacing and evil. Michelle does a variation on the Chris Hamrick lunatic bump, but starting on the outside of the ropes!  Michelle hits a nice Northern Lights Suplex.  Julia Hart's submission looks awesome.  Renee Michelle looked good except for a crappy spin kick.  It's Cole Karter!  HE DOES DRUGS!  The Green Machine Mike Orlando!  Mike Orlando is OVER at Universal!  Cole Karter is a fun douchey heel.  Taz and Excaliber talk a lot about the term "Orlando" while Mike Orlando hits a fucking BEAUTIFUL Backdrop Driver!  And nice Lariat!  Karter hits a 450 for the WIN!  Orlando will hopefully become a DARK staple.  It's Angelo Parker.  Parker is totally fucking HARDCORE.  I don't think there will be blood in this.  Cameron Stewart channels Effie for second.  Nice Black Cat DDT by Parker.  Hey!  It's Blake Christian!  It's Ari Daivari!  Hmmm.  Daivari is being pushed SLIGHTLY move than Christian since this was recorded before the PPV Saturday where Christian was totally fucking awesome.  Isn't Daivari a producer of road agent for the WWE?  I'm baffled.  Slim J works the rubes while Daivari beats on Blake.  Blake makes a comeback after the crowd gets into his journey to escape the onslaught of the evil man from Minnesota!  Christian hits a crazy Frog Splash to Daivari who was hanging on the ropes.  Christian and Daivari both look great in this.  SLIM J CHEATS!  Nice Short Lariat and Frog Splash by Ari Diavari.  That was good.  So Ari is richer than Tony Khan?  Is this a Pakistan/Indian thing- where Diavari is Indian and TK is Pakistani?  TK is adapting Watts US/Russia CONCEPT to his own life?  I back this play 100%!  THE PINNACLE OF DARK!  DANTE MARTIN VERSUS PRETTY PETER AVALON!  Peter Avalon is so great.  PPA! PPA!  SWEET DEATH VALLEY DRIVER by PPA!  Okay, this is the SECOND time Pretty Peter Avalon has distracted the ref by having the ref CHECK HIS TEETH?  What the fuck is going on?  Can Pretty Peter Avalon RULE any more than he does?  Avalon pokes Dante in the eye to cut off his comeback!  Dante goes on offense and hits a very large Diving Crossbody off the top.  SPINNING DDT BY PPA!  YES! HE'S GOING TO WIN!  Dante Martin hits a very nice Pescada to set up his pretty beautiful NOSE DIVE!  Good match.  WRONG ONE WON!   Awesome!  We're off to Ireland!  LJ Cleary!  I've never seen him before!  He looks like the singer for Golden Earring.  I been ridin' all night, my hands wet on the wheel!  Oh man, PAC looks crazy!  This should be fun.  Cleary is a fun upstart.  PAC is wrestling like a member of the Blackpool Combat Club, challenging his young opponent to BRING IT.  They do some World of Sport stuff and Cleary gets the upper hand!  They go very Dragon Gate with some quasi-lucha rope running.  Oh man,  this match is FUN.  GREAT kick to the chest on the floor and ANOTHER.  This match is fucking great.  PAC being the traveling territory world champion is so fucking great.  PAC is Ric Flair and LJ Cleary is Sweet Brown Sugar.  Cleary has a comeback that gets the crowd a bit molten.  This match is fucking great.  Great series of kicks and Cleary wins the series with a superkick.  NICE SUPERPLEX BY CLEARY!  SWEET TOPE CON HILO!  TWO IRISH DESTROYERS! FOR TWO!  PAC applies the Brutalizer to get the win.  Should have drawn out the finish after the explosive nearfall by Cleary, but that was fucking great.  I dig this Cleary dude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DEAN said:

Slim J is soooo the wiry redneck in your homeroom you never wanted to fuck with. 

Well said. He looked good here. On the otherhand, Ari Davari looked fine, but that promo didn't quite sell me on him being a rich pompous asshole. Davari seems like a 'good hand' for Dark. I sense they've over-estimated his promo and character ability? But we'll see. 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, Stefanie the Human said:

The real money is Tay vs A~min, where A~min makes one of her weird recruiting offers, like how if she beats Tay, then Tay has to join KISSmeT Princess, but if Tay beats A~min, then A~min has to join the Jericho Appreciation Society. Then Tay declines, A~min pouts, they beat each other up, and A~min says that Tay is a princess anyway.

But what kind of Princess is Tay?   Headkick princess?

LJ Cleary earned points with the wife for what I'm assuming is the instrumental cover of "It's a Beautiful Life"  I knew nothing about him but though he did pretty good overall.  I'm just happy to see the direction of the All-Atlantic title being established and if they keep this up it'll be a surprisingly unique title to aim for.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dog said:

Has Slim J been wrestling in obscurity all this time? I thought for sure he must have quit after he flamed out in ROH.

Congrats, you have a bunch of awesome Slim J performances to discover. 

• Like 1