DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

Sorry I'm late.  Had to watch the end of Monk and then take a shower.  They should have an eight man championship, what with this new Factory push, and the Dark Order and the LA Dojo.  And also the Jericho Appreciation Society and you could add Dragon Lee to Death Triangle.  Oh and Undisputed Elite.  And the Bullet Club!  Fuck a trios championship!  PUT THE BELTS ON THE FACTORY!  Preston Vance stole the second rope spear from Bhupinder Gujjar!  Somebody watches IMPACT!  Anthony Ogogo makes the Factory a bunch of winners!  Their 1-1 as a team so far!  Frankie Kazarian is all over the place these days- what with him being figured in to the Honor No More invasion in IMPACT! and also being peripheral to the future newlyweds.  Serpentico is the all star of the YouTube shows. He goes heel HARD at the beginning, allowing  Kazarian to be Steamboat in Charlotte in Southern California.  Serpentico actually wrestles a wrestling match as opposed to just bumping big and getting slaughtered- as Kazarian can tell a little story before HITTING A FUCKING BEAUTFUL CUTTER FOR THE WIN!  That was great.   AWESOME!  MIYU YAMASHITA!  Nyla and Serena Deeb rock the Hitman gear.  Serena Deeb makes with the fun tag team hold of Muta Lock on Miyu and then a hitting a brainbuster on Skye Blue.  Yamashita is our face in peril!  Yamashita starts laying in the kicks, moving the match along very nicely, and she and Skye Blue are a fun tag team, as are Nyla and Serena Deeb,  Blue is still Born To Be Pinned.  Oh yeah, the Wing Men could hold the Eight Man Titles.  PUT THE BELTS ON THEM, TK!  PENTA will now annoy everybody on the board while delighting the live crowd!  PENTA tells a little story after the furor of the amazing Double Tope Con Hilos by the bros and the Asai Moonsault by PAC.  PAC is awesome being a fired-up babyface!  P-COLA, BABY!  PENTA sells Cezar Bononi's fabuloulsy lummoxy offense.  Ryan Nemeth takes the Slingblade like a FREAK.  He is so strange style.  PAC versus Pretty Peter Avalon is the feud I KNEW I always wanted but it was burried deep down in my heart.  PAC vs PRETTY PETER AVALON BEST OF 25!  AEW RULES THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD!  

• Like 6

Let's see what we've got.

• The Factory 8 man was a little weird just to see Ogogo taking bumps and stooging and interacting with real wrestlers because I've just seen him in enhancement matches for the last nine months. I would have accordingly protected him a little more there even if he did get the win. On the other hand, he needs those reps in front of a crowd so this is a fairly safe place to have him get them, I guess.
  • The LA promo package was good, Kazarian especially. The weird thing about Butcher and Blade is that Butcher sounds like how you would picture Blade to sound like and Blade sounds like how you would picture Butcher to sound like and it always messes with me.
  • Kazarian vs Serpentico felt like it got a ton of time. Serpentico knew that the crowd was hot and probably would cheer for his antics so he didn't give them anything to cheer for, cutting it off at every turn. The bit on the outside with Daniels was both inevitable and funny. The finish came off great.
  • Nyla/Deeb vs Skye/Yamashita: There are people in this world who are going to complain when Deeb isn't on Rampage or Dynamite for four months, after getting seventy two matches with Shida, the Professor open challenge for weeks, and a title program. Those people are morons because they don't realize how awesome it's going to be to get Deeb in a whole bunch of tags with Nyla/Diamante/Bunny/Emi for those four months. Yamashita had some nice kicks. Deeb took them like a pro. Deeb had a bunch of fun holds. Young Skye hits as hard as anyone on the roster and I feel like there's about three of us that realize this.
  • Death Triangle vs Wingman was a lot of fun. Bononi took offense well but then stomped and kneed like a wilting flower. Skye Blue hit way harder than him. Come on, big guy. Pac felt a bit above all of this, but he also didn't take nearly as much stuff as Penta or Fenix. The spot where Fenix made Nemeth power bomb Avalon was really good but only if I don't see it again for two or three months. Spots like that are not for every match and wrestlers need to realize that. Nemeth tapping on the way down to the Brutalizer, before it was even on was great too. Also great was Tony going "And the lights are still out" on the entrance.

Good show. Almost too stacked. I needed a Lance Archer squash or something (he's up against Solo tonight which will be different).

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Let's see what we've got.

• The Factory 8 man was a little weird just to see Ogogo taking bumps and stooging and interacting with real wrestlers because I've just seen him in enhancement matches for the last nine months. I would have accordingly protected him a little more there even if he did get the win. On the other hand, he needs those reps in front of a crowd so this is a fairly safe place to have him get them, I guess.

I noticed that too.  I think he was excited to be in an actual wrestling match.  I wish they would bring back the LA Dojo guys and have him that match.

• Like 1

I might write an essay for SC on the value of the webshows. I get the sense that a lot of people complaining about them and wrestlers relegated to them started watching wrestling after the year 2000 and never grew up with WCW syndicated shows.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I might write an essay for SC on the value of the webshows. I get the sense that a lot of people complaining about them and wrestlers relegated to them started watching wrestling after the year 2000 and never grew up with WCW syndicated shows.

I was a card-carrying member of the Cult of Worldwide!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm here!  Actually, the internet went out during the Ortiz match so... Sorry I'm a few minutes late!  It's Lance Archer!  He was on Championship Wrestling from Memphis last week.  This week, he's killing Aaron Solo!  The fact that Solo gets in any offense PROVES that the Factory is quietly getting a push!  He Murderhawks him!   Christopher Daniels wrestles in Southern California!  I think he is actually from Chicago but that is neither here nor there.  Daniels has been awesome for twenty-five years.  He let's Steve Andrews get in all kinds of flippy offense.  STILL a great moonsault.  Skye Blue is still currently Born To Be Pinned.  Marina Shafir, who is married and has younguns with Roderick Strong, wrestles like Roderick Strong,  Blue BRINGS IT!  Marina Shafir sells Skye Blue's kicks like a CHAMP!  Shafir bumps really well.  Shafir swings Blue into the rails- a spot I first saw Johnny Gargano do in Pro Wrestling Ohio against Gregory Iron, a wrestler with Cerebral Palsy.  That's when I became a fan of Johnny Gargano.  What a GREAT fucking heel.  Speaking of heels, Shafir is quite a natural.  Nice knee to the face by Blue.  Blue definitley got the Toni Storm stiffness memo.  Wacky complicated sequence to get to the submission is FUN!  I dig the Queen of STIFFNESS, SKY BLUE!  Serpentico, the King of YouTube Wrestling!  Ortiz has a wrestling match with Serpentico- as Serpentico loses his Lee Scott Persona when he crosses the California border, it seems.  He assumes the role of Barry Horowitz and that's a fun side of the King Of YouTube Wrestling!  Ortiz battles it out with Christopher Daniels for the title of Best Slightly Inexplicable Match On Dark. TONI STORM!  I assume she got her own memo to lay it in.  Zeda Zhang will be the recipient of the STIFF!  Storm does a very British headlock.  She was trained by Dean Allmark in England, you know.  Zhang is all about the Strange Style!  She IS Ares!  She traded shots with Toni Storm,  which wasn't SMART.  After Crushing Zhang's skull with forearms, Storm does the BEST FLYING HIP ATTACK IN THE BIZ and then crushes the rest of her skull with a totally gnarly piledriver.  Toni Storm is fucking awesome.  PUT ALL THE BELTS ON HER!  The ASS BOYS! CANADA!  TORONTO!  Austin Gunn is awesome.  Such athLEETicism.  Coulton throws some weird punches.  John Silver hits a nice German Suplex.  Austin Gunn is so great at being a heel stooge.  EVEN THOUGH ANTHONY BOWEN IS IN A WHEELCHAIR, HE STILL HAS A CRUTCH so he caaaaaan CHEAT!  AUSTIN WINS! AUSTIN WINS! AUSTIN WINS!  All is right in the universe.  AEW RULES THE WHOLE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 8

Jeff Cobb is actually Hawaiian and Filipino.  On my dad's side, I'm Hawaiian, Danish and Guamanian.  I thought his eyes were like my cousins' because he was from Guam, but it's the Hawaiian connection.  He has GOT to wrestle Will Hobbs on the 26th.

• Like 3

After the "swinging into the guard rail" spot, Marina seemed unsure as to how to put Skye down. So she just spiked her face into the floor really hard.

Elevation looks awesome.

Singles Match

I'm wondering why Max isn't wrestling Martinez for the ROH title since Max was in the ROH tournament.

Tag Team Match

Serena Deeb invading the YouTube shows is a new definition of "fun".

Singles Match

HEIDI HOWITZER!  Some or all of these ladies are getting signed to something after this.  I'm guessing ROH.
  • Like 6

Man, work's been pretty insane and we've been checking out other things instead of Dark.  But catching up on the past couple weeks reminds me of how much of a fool I was.  I'm heavily in favor of @Matt Ddoing a write-up talking about the Youtube shows as they're so damn good to watch.

• Like 1

Gunn Club & Caster vs Dark Order had the best heel finish I had seen on 15 or so Dark and Elevation-Shows I had seen so far. Assboys are terrific at the essentials when I see them, time and place is always right. 

Skye Blue has been on a lot of the afro mentioned shows. She is probably the prettiest and nicest-seeming young woman I have seen in media in a while.(Settle down... Etc) Versus Shafir was the first time I was convinced she can be a really good Wrestler. Dropping the running knee into the ropes could be a good way to go. 

• Like 3

Let's talk the Dark Tapings at a glance, no major spoilers:

Enhancement matches from people to be excited about having Enhancement Matches; just to name a few:

• Serpentico
  • Statlander
  • Diamante
  • Mercedes/Deeb
  • Lethal/Singh (two)
  • Willow (2)
  • Athena
  • EVIL Julia
  • Fuego
  • Bear Country
  • Woods
  • Abadon
  • Angelico
  • Shafir
  • And that's not to say I'm not glad to see Dante, Renegade Twins, Kiss, AQA, Lee Moriarty, Caster, Fuego, etc.

Then there are the following matches between names or quasi names:

• Silver/Reynolds vs Bononi/Avalon, 10/Uno vs Nemeth/Drake, and Silver/Reynolds/Uno/10 vs Avalon/Drake/Bononi/Nemeth
  • Private Party vs Bear Country
  • Dante vs Comoroto
  • Takeshita vs Anthony Henry
  • Danhausen vs Jake Something and Sydal vs Jake Something
  • QT vs Fuego (and Solo vs Fuego)

Plus there's a few Pure matches with Nese getting a shine match before tackling Yuta and Garcia finishing out the tapings vs Angels in a pure match.

Good stuff. I am this much closer to writing my essay about how people who follow AEW but aren't watching the webshows are only hurting themselves.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Takeshita vs Anthony Henry

While I'm not Henry's biggest fans and he'll almost assuredly bring out tendencies you won't like from Takeshita, I still look forward to this one and will make sure to catch it.

For a second I thought we were getting Danny Garcia vs. Angelico in a pure match but alas... Now I want to see Garcia vs. Angelico in a pure match. Angelico in that setting would be neat.

• Like 1