DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

The Velvet thing seems like the biggest issue to me as she feuded with Jade and just got turned on by Hirsch. You could help rationalize the Statlander thing with the Velvet thing if they actually put any time/effort into it. Henry and Wight were contradicting themselves on commentary on whether it was one thing or another that caused the changes.

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Statlander’s storyline is halted because Leyla Hirsch got injured. Keira and Velvet are now Jade’s baddies because they made a TikTok together that did well.

It did well because... it featured... uh.... well....uh....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Why is Statlander's entire presentation different without any reference to it? Her music, where she hails from, her finisher name all different and for seemingly no reason.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Statlander’s storyline is halted because Leyla Hirsch got injured.

Yeah, after Hirsch turned on her, they did a quick vignette where she took off the alien makeup and contact, then another where she said something about how we're going to see "the dark side of Kris Statlander."  But that was really about it. 

She used "More than a Woman" as her theme song on the indies and now it seems that's going to be her official/unofficial nickname.  I never liked that theme song because the only time you should use a disco theme is if you're working a disco gimmick.*

*unless you're Eddie Gilbert because Hot Stuff was a fucking great track

Hey!  Dulce Tormenta!  So Thunder Rosa is getting all her gals some work.  Red Velvet gives her a little offense and then kicks her in the head.  I could see her getting over as a Jade Cargill associate- as they are faces WITH ATTITUDES! that just haven't completely turned yet.  They should be a stable of babyface women who aren't putting up with any shit from the idiot men in their lives- like Crgill is being with Mark Sterling.  I would back that one hundred percent.  Lee Moriarty is fun in with Serpentico.  Serpentico is awesome being his own Luther.  Moriarty does that cool ass suplex.  He wins with a DDT variation that might have been a fucked up brainbuster attempt.  Allright!  Raychell Rose!  She's from Texas but isn't a member of the Thunder Rosa squad.  The Bunny is here to carry the babyfaces.  Raychell can also carry folks. The Bunny fills up the match by beating the crap out of Anna J.  Bunny is the Dennis Condrey of the AEW Women's division.  Anna J and Skye Blue are kind of the Dynamic Dudes of the AEW women's division.  They need skateboards.  Raychell Rose is the Randy Rose but better of the AEW Women's division.  That was a good Dark match.  PENTA OSCURA!  He will tell a story.  QT Marshall is all about telling a story too, so this will be very story based.  THE STORY!  This IS a family show!  Get that guy out of here!  Penta is great because he gets the crowd into it and QT also gets the crowd into it.  This is fun.  QT is a neato heel.  QT is the Buddy Parker of AEW.  Penta lets QT get in all kinds of offense, and the Factory CHEATS!  They have nearfalls and they have back and forth.  Penta is so awesome.  He knows how to keep a crowd engaged in a match.  THE STORY is that the Factory will cheat and Penta has to fight against it.  The finish is soooo fun.  QT does a moonsault to a standing for a while Penta who kicks him in the chest to rip his arm out of the socket!  This would have been so fun to be at live.  Charlette Renegade!  Will she and her sister BATTENize Abadon?  The Renegade Twins are definitely Thunder Rosa's  crew but they don't have enough time to to pull any fuckery.  IT's a ten man!  Top Flight versus Private Party is the feud for me to look forward to.  Angelico is around!  Him versus Zack Sabre Jr on Rampage to set up ZSJ's PPV match would be a fun offering.  BOOK IT, TONY!  They quickly go Private Party vs Top Flight and then the PATRIARCHS tag in and Jeff and Matt are fun.  The Blade throws great punches.  Angelico does some fuckt up matwork on Jeff Hardy and this match is good.  Jeff Hardy is the Jeff Hardy of this match and Isiah Cassidy is the Bobby Eaton of the match.  Isiah tries a Swanton and misses like Eaton on 3/4 of his Alabama Jams.   Frankie Kazarian is all peppy in this hitting 54 legdrops!  Dante Martin hits a fucking BEAUTIFULLY out of control tope.  Frankie Kazarian is the secret superstar of this match.  Fun batch of nearfalls.  Jeff totally fucking crushes Marq Quinn!  That match was waaaaaay fun.  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 6

Dark

Okay, yeah, Velvet is much better as a heel. Dulce Tormenta is good too. 

Serpentico is good at a bunch of different things and has figured out how to showcase them all in a very specific spot on the roster. Moriarty has a lot of good ideas that he executes weirdly.

Jay/Blue vs Bunny/Rochelle was stiff as hell and a lot of fun.

QT is the epitome of a wrestler who won’t show you anything you haven’t seen before, but everything he does is well-executed and logical. I don’t mind Penta, I just wish his work was as cool as his look. He needs to be meaner and more mat-based. 

It’s been a while since I caught an Abandon match, but she continues to put the pieces together. I’m a fan of both Renegades.

Caster is a king for referencing the grassy knoll. Texas is the reason! The Hardy’s look as contemporary as Gibson and Morton. Fine outing, but I’d prefer a traditional tag between any combination of these guys. It was mostly at its best when Kaz or the two younger teams were in there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know we've been getting some crazy matches this year in AEW already that we wouldn't have thought a few years ago, but Suzuki/QT on yesterday's Elevation might be the most random and off the wall one that AEW has booked so far.

• Like 2

Red Velvet is the Kevin Durant of the AEW.   She cannot beat Jade Cargill so she has joined her cult of Bitches With Attitudes and perpetuates the stereotype of the sassy and angry black woman.  Big Swole was not too far off the mark in her complaints, was she?  Anyway, I enjoyed the chain wrestling exchanges and Velvet being rather heelish in the headlock segments and using her length to maintain leverage advantage during waistlocks.  I pay attention to the little things.  Dulce Tormenta gets in a little offense until she gets put right to fucking sleep by one of the prettier worked spinning roundhouses you will see on the internets.  If the crowd is going to boo you, give them something to boo about.  Go and do what you do, Red.  Haters gonna hate no matter what.

Serpentico comes out in purple, the color of royalty. Is this solidarity with Dulce Tormenta?  Lee Moriarty also comes out in purple and gold.  They put on a match that is like half Championship Wrestling from Memphis undercard and half experimental NJPW Juniors match in a pachinko parlor with 100 people where they are just spitballing spots and trying out new things.  Lee hits some weird Paradigm Shift DDT Brainbuster looking monstrosity and gets a pinfall.  I hate it.  Where are the tricked out Lucha / Strong Style hybrid submissions that put him on the map?  Wrestling needs more creative tap-outs!  As much as I love worked shoot submissions like Lebell Locks and Koji Clutches, I don't want to live in a world where there is no room for Ultimo Guererro's Ground Stretch Muffler 2 or the CHIKARA Special.  Lee Moriarty is the Wrestling Jesus of ground graps and chain wrestling.  Let the man show off his mat skills.

Bunny / Rose vs. Jay / Blue was a lot of fun.  It was almost like Bunny and Jay formed tag teams with their respective kid sisters.  This match is way more stiff than I expected it to be.  Blue is finally pulling veteran moves out of thin air.  I like it when you finally see progression and growth from a rookie.  Situational awareness wins matches.  There are some lazy leg superkicks in this match, but who cares.  Anna Jay locks in that Rear Naked pretty tight and that body triangle is looking a bit snug too.  Rose sells it like a champ.  Look at the fear etched in her face as Jay takes her to the mat!  Raychell Rose is the MVP of this match.  The Bunny's hatred of defeat is palpable.  She is the best.  Anna Jay and her Ponytail of Power also fucking rule.

Penta and QT tell a story of veteran presence and counterwrestling.  It is fucking king sized.  The Diamond Cutter is such a great finisher for QT because the mere threatening of it sets off the crowd and segues into the babyface's hope spot.  He does not even have to hit the move to push the action along and get a quiet crowd back into the match.  I would not have signed up to get superkicked in the gut while I was in mid moonsault, though.  Penta is using his old TNA / Impact armbreaker as a finish, but why is it a pinfall spot.  Hold onto that shit and make somebody tap!

Charlotte Renegade works Abadon who is fulfilling her monthly wrestling obligation.  She is not so sparse in her appearances that she does not get her own video wall package.  There is no Killer Bees switcheroo fuckery in this match.  Charlotte Renegade takes her whoopin' like a woman.

The eight man is fucking crazy.  I miss Jack Evans but at least we have Angelico being a surgeon on the mat.  You can almost see time slow down in the finishing sequences when Top Flight transitions to the Hardys for the bring it home spot.  It is a good thing that Matt hits the Twist of Fate on Quen because it takes Jeff a million years to get to the top rope for the Swanton and then he lands back first into Quen's chest and crushes him dead.  I nearly weep manly tears of joy.  How many variations of the legdrop can one guy have?  Kazarian has at least ninety-five.  Caster gets love from me for going into Texas and dropping a verse with a JFK assassination reference in it.  The fucking cheek!  Great end to a great show.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

Takeshita-Cutler did not disappoint.  Probably a few too many potential finishers for Cutler to be kicking out of, but gave a nice showcase for the incoming DDT star.  Also, Cutler is so fantastic and I'd love to see him a little more regularly on Mondays and Tuesdays.  QT-Minoru also lived up to my 'lofty' expectations.  QT and the Factory have really found their stride.  The Penta match was equally as fun.  Nothing but love for weasely QT!  So too the combination of Tony Nese/Mark Sterling.  If Nese ever finds the right tag team partner - the haters be shocked.  Very impressed with Red Velvet.  She's been so clearly ready to showcase her bad attitude!  Statlander also looking impressive.  Julia Hart not so crisp, but she might be building to something.  I also noticed Anna Jay looking a little bit tighter this week.  And very much enjoyed seeing Raychelle Rose!  She does some nice little things very well.  After a weak year 1 start, Bunny has become a very consistent hand.  And for 'crying out loud', can AEW start booking some Women's Trios on the Turner stations?  These trios are so much better than a lot of what the wheel out on Wednesdays/Fridays.  It also gives more ladies a chance to showcase.  

Lastly, I'd love it if commentary treated the action like they were on TV.  Mark Henry in particular needs to be reeled in.  I like Mark and I like his voice, but what the fuck was with that annoying sound he suddenly let out?  He and Big Paul so often riff in such annoying ways.  Both could benefit from leaning more to professionalism than weak humour.  And for whatever this company is paying them both could work a lot harder to be much better.   

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Lastly, I'd love it if commentary treated the action like they were on TV.  Mark Henry in particular needs to be reeled in.  I like Mark and I like his voice, but what the fuck was with that annoying sound he suddenly let out?  He and Big Paul so often riff in such annoying ways.  Both could benefit from leaning more to professionalism than weak humour.  And for whatever this company is paying them both could work a lot harder to be much better.   

I'm probably in the minority but I love the weekly segments where Mark Henry tricks Big Paul into listening to one of his animal impersonations. I'm also a fan of Big Paul's ever-growing backstory of Dr. Luther. I feel like they still pay decent attention to the match.

• Like 2

I haven't watched Dark in a long time, only certain matches if they catch my eye, but I'm not thrilled that Paul Wight is seemingly going to the Jim Ross school of "shit on the referee on live TV/the YouTube shows".

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

I haven't watched Dark in a long time, only certain matches if they catch my eye, but I'm not thrilled that Paul Wight is seemingly going to the Jim Ross school of "shit on the referee on live TV/the YouTube shows".

The tone is completely different. With Ross, it's "The company creatively should have the refs act differently to make things have a more sports feel." With Wight, it's... "Aw man, these refs let anything happen just like when I was a wrestler." and Taz is "I hate all these refs because I am Oscar the grouch."

• Like 2

Dustin mentioned the msg house show where first started groping people.  I was at this show and holy shit did it get heat from the fans.  It was probably the most heated match on that show (which also featured diesel turning heel on michaels)

• Like 2

Julia Hart will need an actual finisher when she completely turns (tomorrow).  Anthony Ogogo is progressing.  Konesuke Takeshita and Rhett Titus was really good.  Rhett Titus got in some stuff and Takeshita would cut him off with some kind of awesome  move.  No brainbuster this time but he did everything else.  Jumbo High Knee looked really good.  Cheeseburger is awesome.  Tony Neese gave him giant wads of his odd offense.  TK needs to sign Cheeseburger to add to the Fuego Del Sol/ El Serpentico contingent.  Nese is fucking awesome getting Cheeseburger's offense over.  That was great.  So is Willow Nightengale signed?  She kills Gia Scott dead like she is signed.  Nightengale has an actual finisher!  YAAAY!  Max Caster and Zack Clayton was a short affair.  Kris Statlander looked about as good as I have seen her.  Emi Sakura and Nyla Rose are really developing into a good heel tagteam.  That was weird- usually during these Dark women's tag matches there is usually a part where it falls apart for a minute, but this match chugged along right until the end.  Statlander definitely has a good finisher.  That was waaaay better than the actual main event- which was a mulriman squash.  That was three good wrestling matches.  I'll take that.  AEW RULES THE WORLD!

• Like 5

big Zack Clayton getting the full entrance, I dig his theme music. Ridiculously short match though. He was coming off his first win 3 months ago and then disappeared until now. Feel like he's got some star potential, hoping he succeeds. Huge pop for the Acclaimed there. 

• Like 1

Coming to an episode of Dark at some point, Abadon vs the most excellently named...

Spoiler

VICKY DREAMBOAT!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2