DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I get a Hercules Hernandez vibe from Comoroto. 

That's WAY better. Honestly, if Marshall would go full Heenan and have a better stable with Comoroto as the Hercules I would be all in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DEAN said:

Nothing was really great tonight though Alan Angel vs Frankie Kazarian was pretty good.  Leyla Hirsch needs a better finisher; her cross-armbreaker is kinda anti-climatic at this point.  Main event was kinda fun.  Jay Lethal is the best wrestler in AEW.

I really enjoyed Kazarian vs. Angels.  The counter of the roll-up into the Crossface Chicken Wing was a veteran finish.  Leyla vs. Willow was a bit of a nothing burger because Red Velvet didn't come out to return the favor and mess with Leyla after she interrupted Red's match with Skye Blue.  Help a sista out, Red.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Pleased to see Dark Elevation using more of their contracted stars in competitive matches rather than local squashes.  Jay Lethal in particular looked really strong this week. I'd love to see the Women's trios advance to TV at some point.  I like the Emi-Nyla-Plus one combo, and I'd like to see Sakura in Nyla Rose's corner for TV matches going forth.  Stu and Uno are a fantastic team.  I'd love for AEW to heat them up for bouts with the Bucks, FTR, Red Dragon, House of Black, etc. etc.  I dug this week's Monday show more than usual.  Very thankful for the contracted talent competitive bouts, but could we also start getting promos between the bouts?

• Like 2

Has Justin Roberts always been doing Randy savage voice when saying Jay Lethal's hometown, or did he just start? Never noticed it before.

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

Has Justin Roberts always been doing Randy savage voice when saying Jay Lethal's hometown, or did he just start? Never noticed it before.

Pretty sure Justin has done the "Elizabeth" bit from the get go.

Regarding Hirsch ... I'm curious if AEW is going to change some of her intangibles given current events and her background. Shortly before her heel turn, she was introduced on at least one TV taping as being from New Jersey. Perhaps scrap references to Russia, even change the way she talks given what's going on. (I worked with a woman who fled Iran as a toddler and learned English through daytime soaps and game shows ... her accent screams valley girl as a result, but she learned to talk that way to avoid bullies.)

• Like 2

Way too much work today. Let's keep this quick.

2/28 Elevation

Lethal vs Johl: I liked the Lethal Injection counter and then the actual finish. It's a move I want to hate but I struggle to do so given that Lethal puts a lot of effort into creating logical entry points. I imagine over the span of a hundred matches it'd be frustrating but over ten it's ok so far. The timing on the top rope crotching led to fun commentary ("He's always having fun in there. Well...."). Good for Johl to get the reps.

Velvet vs Blue: Blue Velvet would make a good team but I don't know about that name. Skye had a great ankle pick. I guess it sort of protects her that Velvet's finish came out of nowhere really but if Hirsch is out there to distract, Blue probably needs even more protection than usual. I half wonder if Velvet's going to get an extra push because Brandi's gone.

Kazarian vs Angels: Well, this would have been a good use of Kazarian, to put over Angels here. Not a ton of narrative in these matches but I liked the tit for tat stuff here, which started with the clothesline and escalated to the tricked out submission with foot-slamming escape action. Again, it's a finish out of nowhere which protects Angels more than something more definitive but is also kind of unsatisfying.

Nyla/Emi/Diamante vs LMK/Van Dale/Sparks: Maybe the best corner splash I've seen on these shows from Emi. They really have the teamwork down. LMK took a mauling at the end especially that lift up facebuster by Nyla and Diamante's belly to back. She's very good at what she does, which is get run over by a truck. I liked Nyla doing the gun thing in time to Diamante's music post match.

Archer vs Fuego: Very good big man/little man match here. Fuego's good at staying alive right up until the point he doesn't.

Leyla vs Willow: That dropkick during the first cartwheel attempt by Willow looked nasty. Novel stuff. I like how she got to do it later though, the silliest bit of AEW house style I can think of. Her pounce remains awesome. If signing her even to a low level contract could better allow her to hone her craft, they should make the investment.

Chaos Project vs Stu/Uno: I'm pretty certain Stu is the most underutilized guy on the roster. Serpentico is used just right, which in this case is him getting crunched by Luther during a poetry in motion attempt.

This was one NWO member away from being a full on Thunder quality wise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Peck said:

I think Red Velvet winked 7 times on her walk to the ring alone. And you guys criticize Penta for his spam taunts....

Yeah, Red Velvet is an obviously attractive person, but I find a lot of her mannerisms over the top and cringeworthy.  It's almost like instead of being confident that she's attractive, she's looking at you and saying, "Hey, look at me, I'm attractive."  Then you acknowledge, "yeah, she's pretty attractive."  Then she looks at you and says, "look at me, I'm attractive."  Now you're like, "yeah, I know."   Then she looks at you and says, "look at me, I'm attractive."  Now, you're just looking at the TV wondering, why the hell she keeps doing that.  Once I noticed how often she spams the taunt button, I can't stop seeing it and it's weird as hell.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

Way too much work today. Let's keep this quick.

2/28 Elevation

Lethal vs Johl: I liked the Lethal Injection counter and then the actual finish. It's a move I want to hate but I struggle to do so given that Lethal puts a lot of effort into creating logical entry points. I imagine over the span of a hundred matches it'd be frustrating but over ten it's ok so far. The timing on the top rope crotching led to fun commentary ("He's always having fun in there. Well...."). Good for Johl to get the reps.

Velvet vs Blue: Blue Velvet would make a good team but I don't know about that name. Skye had a great ankle pick. I guess it sort of protects her that Velvet's finish came out of nowhere really but if Hirsch is out there to distract, Blue probably needs even more protection than usual. I half wonder if Velvet's going to get an extra push because Brandi's gone.

Kazarian vs Angels: Well, this would have been a good use of Kazarian, to put over Angels here. Not a ton of narrative in these matches but I liked the tit for tat stuff here, which started with the clothesline and escalated to the tricked out submission with foot-slamming escape action. Again, it's a finish out of nowhere which protects Angels more than something more definitive but is also kind of unsatisfying.

Nyla/Emi/Diamante vs LMK/Van Dale/Sparks: Maybe the best corner splash I've seen on these shows from Emi. They really have the teamwork down. LMK took a mauling at the end especially that lift up facebuster by Nyla and Diamante's belly to back. She's very good at what she does, which is get run over by a truck. I liked Nyla doing the gun thing in time to Diamante's music post match.

Archer vs Fuego: Very good big man/little man match here. Fuego's good at staying alive right up until the point he doesn't.

Leyla vs Willow: That dropkick during the first cartwheel attempt by Willow looked nasty. Novel stuff. I like how she got to do it later though, the silliest bit of AEW house style I can think of. Her pounce remains awesome. If signing her even to a low level contract could better allow her to hone her craft, they should make the investment.

Chaos Project vs Stu/Uno: I'm pretty certain Stu is the most underutilized guy on the roster. Serpentico is used just right, which in this case is him getting crunched by Luther during a poetry in motion attempt.

This was one NWO member away from being a full on Thunder quality wise.

I just finished watching and I agree with pretty much all of this, except that Stu, Angels, and Uno don't do a whole lot for me and seem fungible with other people already on the roster (I came on to AEW well after Brodie Lee and the Dark Order).

Nice to see Chaos Project get some offense in, too. I wanted Blue to go over. Sign Willow Nightengale. Lethal is a very giving wrestler even on the Youtube shows.

Wight: "He needs to save his breath to cool off the pie"

pause

Henry, laughing "That was the most country-ass shit I've ever heard". Mind you, Henry is from deep south country Texas, so when HE'S calling you country.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OMIGOD!  Dark was the best episode of WCW Worldwide in 23 years.  The main event was awesome as they SHOWBOAT the awesomeness of Nick Comoroto.  Wheeler Yuta is so good.  Alan Solo is good as the Man Who Would Be Pinned.  Daniel Garcia vs Josh Woods was soooo good.  They should go ahead and sign Josh Woods for like $20,000 a year and have him wrestle on Dark every week.  Marina Shafir and Danielle Kamela prolly wrestled each other at the Performance Center so I guess they were familiar with each other.  I dig Shafir because none of her matches are very smooth but feel shooty.  I guess Jack Evans got his option picked up because they gave him a lot against the AEW wunderkind, Dante Martin.  Martin is fucking spectacular and yet can hold up his end of a match.  Evans looked good.  Other stuff!  YAAY! AEW RULES!

EDIT: Oh yeah!  United Wrestling Network superstar, Ashton Starr looked great against the very underrated Sonny Kiss.

• Like 7

I'm glad Jack Evans is still around. TH2 are really underrated and unfortunately got lost in the shuffle. He and Dante had a great back and forth match with some fun spots. Speaking of underrated competitors, I'm surprised Josh Woods hasn't been higher on the radar post-ROH. Good stuff between he and Garcia.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, Red Velvet is an obviously attractive person, but I find a lot of her mannerisms over the top and cringeworthy.  It's almost like instead of being confident that she's attractive, she's looking at you and saying, "Hey, look at me, I'm attractive."  Then you acknowledge, "yeah, she's pretty attractive."  Then she looks at you and says, "look at me, I'm attractive."  Now you're like, "yeah, I know."   Then she looks at you and says, "look at me, I'm attractive."  Now, you're just looking at the TV wondering, why the hell she keeps doing that.  Once I noticed how often she spams the taunt button, I can't stop seeing it and it's weird as hell.

Yeah, I think that's my biggest complaint, and I wonder if I'd enjoy her work more if she toned it down. I thought Skye Blue looked better than Velvet in that match up, but outside of Cargill I feel that way about most of Velvet's match-ups.

The main event was fun. Archer is growing on me finally. I feel like the Leila-dropkicks-Nightingale-mid-cartwheel spot should have come after the Nightingale-successfully-cartwheels spot, but otherwise I enjoyed that match too.

Also, does anyone else think Johl kind of looks like he could play Low-Ki's big brother?

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

She's always being cringey and I think it's the main reason why she's never as over with the crowd as they kinda present her to be. Same ways as someone like Pillman Jr. comes off, trying just a bit too hard.

I like the story of Shafir going in maybe a little overconfident and underestimating Danielle Kamela because of the hair and maybe the ring garb, and then getting totally surprised by Kamela's grappling skills.  There aren't too many Shafir matches I've seen since her transformation where she has had to wrestle out from under her opposition.  Good stuff from both ladies.

Evans vs. Martin was really good.  I was surprised by how much the match stayed on the ground and didn't get really high risk until near the end of the match.  Everyone got their spots in.

Sahara Seven putting up the crucifix fingers in her match with Abadon and the Test of Strength spot in the Best Friends vs. Factory match prove that there is room for comedy in pro wrestling.  

Daniel Garcia vs. Josh Woods was fucking great.  It had enough hurt to be the main, but Best Friends vs. Factory had the better story.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dark seems to be getting stronger and stronger.  Dug what I saw of this show like most.  Woods-Garcia was the highlight.  Dante-Evans could have used two less weak looking spots from Evans (that top rope kick to the outside was a total whiff), or was it Dante's fault on that ridiculous flippy bullshit spot in the middle.  And then what was Dante doing there before his featherlight barely touched him moonsault finish?  He needs to regularly tighten up that shit up.  It seemed like he was blatantly telling Jack to get into better position for him.  Maybe that can be interpreted as a 'come on' cheer me to the crowd?  Just brutal.  But outside of those three noticeably bad spots, this one was good as expected.  

11 hours ago, DEAN said:

I dig Shafir because none of her matches are very smooth but feel shooty. 

Well said.  AEW has done the right thing in prepping Abadon before overexposing here.  She's always been fun, but she's acutally getting good.  I'm curious of this Sahara Seven, but it might be more due to how sexy she looked in her umm revealing outfit.  Kiera Hogan too, tho less confusion, she's solid and ready to have some competitive TV bouts.  Darian Bengston seemed to kinda outshine young Lee Johnson in that opener, but he might wanna drop that 'fashion school dropout the way of pro wrestling' look.  'Might'.  As much as I enjoy this show, tape delay is very necessary when there are Diamante and Shawn Dean squashes on the show.  That said, I'm all for watching either work competitive bouts from underneath (and 9/10 losing; tho, maybe Dean has something for the future).  Who is Ashton Starr?  Every week this show exposes a shit ton of interesting indy talent.  Bowens and Caster are getting better and better.  Bowens is clearly solid, but I think Caster's quietly getting a lot better in the shadows.  So to Nick Comoroto.  Looking forward to this Main Event over lunch.  

Oh, and great promo from the Wingmen.  Avalon looked so awesome there.  Love that crew.  One last request: MORE PROMOS!!!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Abadon and Shafir? We are being spoiled.

Great chain wrestling sequences between Kamela and Shafir, impressed by both. Anyone know what Shafir's submission hold is called?

Happy to see Jack Evans back too, and commentary said Angelico isn't far off being ready to return as well. They would have some great tags against the Bucks, Hardy's and JX if they can get featured a bit more. Maybe during / after AHFO dissolves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Abadon and Shafir? We are being spoiled.

Great chain wrestling sequences between Kamela and Shafir, impressed by both. Anyone know what Shafir's submission hold is called?

According to the commentary in her public execution of Cassandra Golden in CWFATL, Shafir's sub finisher is called Greedy.  It is named such because why settle for breaking only one joint with a single move when you can break several?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:06 AM, AxB said:

Of course, he's imitating Savage, but he could be doing Fred G. Sanford and it would almost sound the same.

RJ City is your chauffeur on the road to Revolution. There are also videos with Danhausen, OC, Statlander and Big Show. All very charming.

RJ has now done internet content for both AEW and WWE in the last few months

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1