DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/12/2022

I would imagine people should know now wrestling isn't a captive audience anymore. The most important match doesn't start until 1 hour and 40 minutes in? Yeah, I will just click back and forth during that time and watch the final 20 minutes. The average viewership technically wouldn't change.

For big shows, it would make a difference because that was something I looked into when UFC was doing those quarterly shows on big Fox. Yes, that definitely makes a difference. But for rank and file shows like last night? No difference at all. It ain't 1998 anymore. Let it go.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm pretty sure Masha vs Leyla has happened, like, recently. They're pretty local to one another, and it's such a logical booking. I'll have a look on IWTV later.

November 18th of last year. Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory s3 ep 7.

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

The biggest problem is that they don't let moments resonate into the next segment.

I think this is probably pretty true. Last week when Jade Cargill won the title they put over what a big moment it was for her, for the company, for her daughter then within a short time of winning it, it was "Yeah but someone else is wrestling/talking tonight and we have to cut away really fast" and it kind of cheapens the moment. You spend weeks hyping this tournament as being so important, the title being important, the win being important, Cargill being important and you cut away quickly to something much less important (in kayfabe terms). You gotta let it breathe a bit. Take the time to bask in what you've done well. I don't want it to become 'Raw is Recaps' but I think there's a middle ground in putting over the importance of what's just happened and talking about it all night/replaying it into the ground.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, eikerir said:

Main event was fun, really enjoyed the intensity between both guys. It blows my mind that Daniel García and Brian Pillman Jr have been wrestling for the same amount of time yet Garcia is a million miles ahead in every way possible.

See, it all comes down to their training, doesn't it? After all, Daniel Garcia was trained for Pro Wrestling by former DVDVR Message Board poster Brandon Thurston, whilst Brian Pillman was trained by noted DVDVR500 hater Lonce 'Lance' Storm. So obviously Garcia is going to be vastly better.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Doubling down on what I was saying, one element of AEW booking is that no one that is doing anything is doing just one thing. Look at Statlander. She's number one in the rankings. She's now involved in the Britt/Cole thing. She's got beef with Hirsch who's about to turn on her. She just came off that loss to Soho that they could poke at later if they want to. Sting and Darby are up against the Acclaimed, who are also the number one ranked team and looking ahead to the champs, but Andrade also wants Darby as his new assistant, and now he's talking to Hardy about something. It's a giant tapestry which is really not how I can remember any company ever being booked before. It means that there's reason for people to get involved in almost every match. Scorpio Sky or Arn could have come down for the Sammy match just as easily as the multiple entities that were already there.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

A lot happened, some of it was hard to remember even by the end of the show. I don’t recall anything being that promo and angle heavy in my 4 months or so of watching. There were some decent matches mixed in so it was fine but, yeah, just a lot to try and keep up with.

I marked out for the Arn and Tully handshake.

I still liked my idea of Spears hitting Wardlow with the chair to DQ Punk and that starting the Wardlow turn. But I guess this match will work fine for that too. It’s clear now the blowoff to Punk-MJF is actually Wardlow-MJF. Also, to quote my wife when she saw MJF “Does that guy ever actually wrestle?”

I thought the Hobbs and Martin match was very good, it showed how Dante is growing and able to use kicks and strikes in his arsenal, his facial expressions are improving, but he also sold like a freak for Hobbs’ power offense. Big fan of both guys.

As others have said, I would have been totally happy with Garcia pulling the upset after that intense match. That was a hell of a brawl with some spots thrown in. Match even got my wife interested, to the point she was asking “I know it’s choreographed but doesn’t that hurt?” I’m also cool with Kingston-Jericho and hope it’s Eddie’s big win.

I was very happy to see Acclaimed (my faves that aren’t FTR) and Bear Country, partly because they had that very good Dark match last month. Felt like they were testing the idea of Acclaimed and Bear Country as real contenders and TV regulars, and maybe Acclaimed as champs.

The rest is mostly a blur already, other than Deeb destroying Shida. Can’t wait for the payoff of that.

• Like 5

The idea that @EVA  pointed out that CM Punk is being booked as close to over the hill, but with an equalizer up his sleeve is wonderful if true!

Also, @Matt D stressed that no one on the roster is just having one story at the time, which I think is very cool, as long as you have a spreadsheet to keep it all coherent. For example, on soap operas, when a new character is introduced, they usually have at least three tie-ins with existing cast, so there is immediately plenty of potential stories to tell. I find this fascinating and am all for it, so as long most of it makes sense in the end (if also during, even better)!

• Like 3

And I'll have to rewatch it but, why did Julia jump up on the apron for?  Was she telling them to stop?  First thing I noticed of her was her black clothing and her expression was way different.  Almost was thinking SHE was going to mist someone

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Doubling down on what I was saying, one element of AEW booking is that no one that is doing anything is doing just one thing. Look at Statlander. She's number one in the rankings. She's now involved in the Britt/Cole thing. She's got beef with Hirsch who's about to turn on her. She just came off that loss to Soho that they could poke at later if they want to. Sting and Darby are up against the Acclaimed, who are also the number one ranked team and looking ahead to the champs, but Andrade also wants Darby as his new assistant, and now he's talking to Hardy about something. It's a giant tapestry which is really not how I can remember any company ever being booked before. It means that there's reason for people to get involved in almost every match. Scorpio Sky or Arn could have come down for the Sammy match just as easily as the multiple entities that were already there.

I remember ECW at times haveing storylines interwoven also TNA did this during the Planet Jarrett / Commisener Cornette era.

Anyway I'm glad to see the Acclaimed get win on TV they need to find a way to get more of these underneath but not jobber guys wins on TV. maybe more matches that don't go through PIP.

That opening segment took the promo interuption meme to new heights!

Speaking of Lonce he had some thoughts on the Wardlow/Punk booking

“It was like, ‘Oh my god, Wardlow lost. Wardlow’s going to be angry about this.’ Wardlow had two visual victories over Punk. Wardlow was the rightful winner. And it’s like, this segment damaged Punk a lot.

It completely made me not care about Punk-MJF anymore. Everyone’s into MJF-Wardlow. Quite probably, because they’re good promo guys, they can dig themselves out of this hole. But I don’t understand putting them [Punk in particular] this deep in a whole that they have to talk their way out of. This was a very damaging segment.”

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/01/13/lance-storm-buries-cm-punk-mjf-angle-from-aew-dynamite/

Late to the party with random-ass comments:

Really tied of looong Go Big Show (AKA Hillbilly AGT) promos.  I guess this is the price AEW must pay but it sucks.

Loving the ReDRagon/Young Bucks conflict.

KINGS OF THE BLACK THRONE MOTHERFUCKERS.  I know there are reasons and exceptions for the way things are, but it's funny how WWE pretty much has always treated wrestling like it doesn't exist outside them while AEW treats wrestling like an expansive, living ecosystem.  WWE hires the PWG tag champs and they have to change their names and vacate their titles.  AEW hires the PWG tag champs and references their team name on TV.  AEW's approach is far better and less intelligence-insulting.

I too noticed and was not onboard with the booking decision to have two David and Goliath matches back to back.  Both ended essentially with rollups as well.  Also not sure I love the booking of Punk/Wardlow, which I agree devalues the Punk/MJF match.  Also, it was really obvious MJF would throw Spears against Punk next.

Shida/Deeb was also very meh.  I hate when I expect a good match and just get a shitty angle instead.

FTR is going to murder Johnson and Anderson in an effort to get Arn's love.  Speaking of Arn, I didn't like Fuego running from him last week.  A fit young athlete running from an old guy, who we've seen fall on his ass twice, because he pretended to pull out a gun with his good hand was really dumb. 

Hobbs looks good with a beard.

Hangman/Murderhawk has real WWE Champion Benoit vs Kane at Backlash vibes and that's not a good thing. 

Between asking "who ees thees keed working for Steeng?"  and this promo with Hardy, I love Andrade.

FFWD'd through Hardy/Penta.  Also FFWD'd through Rappers vs Bears after the intros.  Sounds like I made a good choice.   

Is PAC going to be working a blind wrestler gimmick?

Garcia/Sammy was good but god damn am I tired of Jericho.

Cody RETURNS next week.  Doing an interim title when 1) AEW has never established a mandatory defenses rule and 2) Cody was only out for two weeks was really stupid.  If they needed a match for Battle of the Belts, they had options to plug Hangman or Jurassic Express in there.

When the babyfaces were beating up Malachai Black, was Julia yelling "THAT'S NOT ENOUGH" or "THAT'S ENOUGH?"  Either is fine for a heel turn, just curious though.  As Alvarez said, Julia taking off the patch to reveal a diseased eye is the easiest pop.

Kind of a meh episode.  As many others here have mentioned, too much of the same stuff, weird layout, not too exciting outside of Brody King showing up.

Dark Order vs JE should be really fun.

I totally agree with @Craig H and @Jiji that AEW really needs to get back to more clean wins.  All these screwy finishes are starting to make matches meaningless.  TK needs another "why are these shitty creepers beating up our stars with bad punches while everyone shits on it?" moment of clarity.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

Andrade seems to be having a fantastic time. He almost popped Schiavone when he asked him how he knew that Darby was Sting's friend. That guy oozes star power. 

Y'all aren't wrong about clean finishes, but I understand the instinct to protect your top stars. DQ's and screwy finishes don't bother me as much as some others. I guess the bigger dilemma is "if I'm giving all this away on free tv, how do I keep my PPV matches fresh and exciting?" It's a good problem to have, but it is a problem. 

• Like 4

I'm still confused about how Wardlow powerbombing Punk through the table was a DQ? That gives you a finish that protects both (Punk keeps his streak, Wardlow gets the loss because MJF told him to do it because he only cares about punishing Punk). 

Andrade promo was magic. He's finding his stride and I like him working a hard hitting style, there's plenty of flyers up and down the card, might as well try something different.

Shida/Deeb was nothing, and if Shida is going back to Japan per her IG post, then we're not getting any progress for a few months. Maybe by Revolution? Or the next quarterly special? DoN would be too far away, right?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, romdam said:

Then there was JR during the main saying something about not knowing when Cody is coming back.  I was like, didn't they mention and show a graphic earlier?  

Yeah, I noticed that too. Of course, we don't actually KNOW what Cody is going to say next week. It could always be "Sorry guys, I'm still a good month away from returning to the ring, but decided to show up, so you won't forget who the real star of the show is!"

And yeah @Ramo2653  , I assumed that the powerbomb through the table was a DQ, too! Like the story was "I had him pinned and you forced me to throw the match by getting DQ'd basically on purpose and for no reason". I think that would have protected Wardlow better. The small package finish would have been fine, if Punk could have sinched it in tighter and more desperate. As is, it looked a bit sloppy and thusly made Wardlow look a bit weak.

Edited by Shartnado
Powerbomb through a table should be DQ
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, just drew said:

Andrade seems to be having a fantastic time. He almost popped Schiavone when he asked him how he knew that Darby was Sting's friend. That guy oozes star power. 

Y'all aren't wrong about clean finishes, but I understand the instinct to protect your top stars. DQ's and screwy finishes don't bother me as much as some others. I guess the bigger dilemma is "if I'm giving all this away on free tv, how do I keep my PPV matches fresh and exciting?" It's a good problem to have, but it is a problem. 

Yeah, like 20 years ago, the SmackDown 6 were having all these insane matches with each other every week on TV, and it got to the point where it became almost impossible to top those on PPV. I guess they managed to pull it off at SurSer'02, but after that, not so much.

16 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I'm still confused about how Wardlow powerbombing Punk through the table was a DQ?

Just spit-balling here but since the attitude era they've kind of conditioned audiences that using anything connected to the ring / ring area is legal. (Except the time keeper chairs for some reason). Basically the steps, the post, the rails, announcer and time keeper tables. If you are using them where they lay then it's not illegal. You bring the steps in the ring illegal. But just whip a dude into them, legal. That table was the ring announcer table and not manipulated or brought into the ring, so it's fair game.

Now no one has ever explicitly said that. But that just seems to be the rules as I understand them at least.

• Like 1

I think a DQ finish to cost Wardlow would've been better. That small package didn't look like it should beat anyone, let alone a fresh Wardlow. On the flip side, the semi-botched GTH at from Sammy still looked like a total killshot.

I agree that Julia needs to turn and join the House of Black. Griff and BPJ have too much loser stink on them, and looked even worse here as Black laughed at their 3 on 1 beatdown. I'm torn on whether HoB or Red Dragon should dethrone Jurassic Express. RD is a safe bet with a clear story arc, but Malakai and Brody seem like a perfect new-age hoss team that could make for compelling matches with just about anyone.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:01 PM, AxB said:

See, it all comes down to their training, doesn't it? After all, Daniel Garcia was trained for Pro Wrestling by former DVDVR Message Board poster Brandon Thurston, whilst Brian Pillman was trained by noted DVDVR500 hater Lonce 'Lance' Storm. So obviously Garcia is going to be vastly better.

Hold up... Thurston is one of us?

Cool!

I liked this weeks show. They were working on establishing the mid card and I think that is the good thing. WWE doesn't really have a mid card theres the Main Event Scene and everyone else. It's good to be different and allowing your audience to invest on everyone up and down the card is a good thing.

I spoke in the General Thread about how I think they should have booked the smaller venue in town but other than it looking rather empty on camera the crowd seemed to still be into the show and nobody phoned it in match quality wise.

Sammy vs Garcia was really good what an awesome Main Event.

• Like 1