DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/12/2022

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Oh yeah, that Brody video also reminded me of Julia Hart wearing black now. It's on. The black mist corrupts. Let's go. 

I noticed her wearing black jeans, and the eye patch.  I was wondering if tonight she aligned with Black

17 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Punk-Wardlow certainly featured some odd choices.  Wardlow (who routinely losss his big matches) destroys Punk to the point that he clearly had the biggest draw in the company pinned with one boot?  

I thought we would see the Wardlow snap tonight; It would have been really good tonight and I wonder if they have not overplayed this one out. Wardlow is so ready..

We know Jake is not well - is Archer solo?

I feel like I spend a lot of talking shit about what I don’t like. I really dug the Brody debut, even if that was a convoluted ass way to get there, and I liked all the hossery. Quality stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Also, Jungle Boy has turned into a credible babyface promo. Night and day difference from a year or so ago. Good on ya, JB.

AEW's willingness to grow talent, young talent is the real good stuff. CM Punk let Wardlow throw him around - Wardlow came out of the match so strong. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

AEW is going to the same wells too many times, booking-wise, and the seams are starting to show.  Once again the Best Friends run out to attack the Elite and once again get beat down, just like the last half-dozen times.  We had three matches in a row where the story was that one of the competitors didn't care about winning, just about hurting the other person.  And two of them back to back had really similar finishes.  Pretty much every match had some kind of external angle or interference going on.  Just a real mess.

Everything was pretty good in-ring, at least, except for Penta/Hardy.  Sammy/Garcia was a fuckin' banger outside of a couple of awkward spots.

Completely agreed with the second paragraph.

I don't necessarily disagree with the first paragraph, but ... I kind of don't care? Yes, if you're looking at a TV episode like a record, it was arranged poorly. But I loved each thing (sans Penta/Hardy) as individual entities. I'll take it! The "connective tissue" is just window dressing to me, and something I can easily overlook. They'll do better next time (one can hope).

I know Wardlow vs. MJF is the money match but they're gonna go Southern on this and keep the two apart as long as possible. I can't wait for Wardlow doing an extended bloodmurderhell squash on Shawn Spears first. Maybe during a PPV? 100 powerbomb referee/SWAT team stoppage?

Edited by John E. Dynamite

I  don't know how everything came off on tv and while I don't think this was one of the better episodes, I had a lot of fun attending the show. Going to the show was like seeing a band you like that has a really extensive catalogue - you know you aren't going to hear every song you like but figure there will be enough to satisfy you. I didn't think I'd see every wrestler I really wanted to, but went in hoping to be entertained.

Some have mentioned the lackluster crowd. I was on the second floor on the camera-facing side so I don't know how full it was below me, but the building was a little over half full. A ton of people left before the Rampage taping as well. It could be due to territory fatigue as they were just in Greensboro (a little over an hour away) a few weeks ago and Charlotte (2.5 hours away) over the weekend, which both have more of a wrestling tradition.

Lance Archer got a huge pop, Brody King got a big pop when he came out (this was my personal high point of the show), and Adam Cole and friends got a huge reaction when they came out. Punk was also over huge, though during the match almost just as many people were cheering for Wardlow. I wasn't a fan of the way that match ended. You could have had Wardlow crush Punk yet not look like a total chump getting rolled up at the end. I also agree that putting Hobbs/Martin (which was great live) on right after since it told such a similar story. The crowd definitely felt the front-loaded card and was losing some steam at the end.

Dan Lambert got the loudest negative reaction. I like Penta more than most and was glad to see him, and I guess they've got to give Matt a match (I don't know if it was on tv or not, but before the match he cut a promo vowing to delete Penta and pointed out his wife and kids in the crowd) being local and all, but this didn't hold the crowd's attention that long. Then it was followed by The Acclaimed/Bear Country match which wouldn't have been bad in the first hour or on Dark, but was out of place at this point in the card.

I'd really been looking forward to Shida/Deeb given how good their past matches were and was a bit let down this one ended the way it did. It's clearly leading to a bigger match with some sort of stip and I'm sure that will be great, but I would have liked to have seen a longer match. Garcia/Sammy was easily the best match of the night and kept getting progressively better as it went along.

Some pics-

Spoiler

66e532e459e0e59e3484cc919834dc801582f663

d27cf792cb7cbbf21d51c8f53cb46d58ec459e8f

9c327015408b17032cdfcfe120259df6cbc88259

e9db7815883a42c55c0058e8fecc33032d040fe1

213e1648ee96568cb9d9820d3ecf328d5c6f1718

Rampage spoilers-

Spoiler

Shawn Spears beat Andrew Everett, who being local actually got a pretty good pop.

Adam Cole beat Trent Beretta. 

Nyla Rose, The Bunny, and Penelope Ford beat Kris Statlander, Red Velvet, and Leyla Hirsh. They continued the story of Hirsh tagging herself in and costing her team the match. It was pretty good but the ending sucked.

Jurassic Express beat Johnny Hungee and Alex Reynolds. Despite this match going on at almost 11:30 it was pretty good and the crowd dug it.

Dark-

Spoiler

Matt Sydal & Lee Moriarty, Ruby Soho, Tay Conti, Frankie Kazarian, Jay Lethal, and The Gunn Club (Billy Gunn was wearing one of Danhausen's Ass Boys shirts at ringside) all beat jobbers. There wasn't anything memorable about any of these.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Solid show but, as has been mentioned before, they need to talk to whoever is laying out these stories/matches and space it properly.

Feels like we get the same kind of match or spot or finish multiple times on a single show and that shouldn't happen.

I also like the idea someone had on here of MJF ordering Spears to hit Wardlow and cost Punk the match.

It would have perfectly built up the MJF v Punk rivalry, puts Spears in an awkward tweener spot with MJF/Wardlow, and give Wardlow one more reason to snap and deliver both of them a Powerbomb Symphony.

I actually think they should pivot and get to MJF v Wardlow first. Wardlow kills him dead and moves on to the TNT title while MJF finally agrees to face Punk and prove that he's still one of the Four Pillars*tm* of AEW.

So the show had too many matches back to back that told very similar stories, and had very similar finishes. But it's OK, because this thread also features too many posts back to back in which people point out that the show had too many matches back to back that told very similar stories. So actually that repetition is clearly acceptable to everyone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Malakai Black and Brody King are like bookends with the tattoos and all.  I love them.  I am happy that JE finally won the belts, but now I am hoping the House of Black will smash them for the titles in like three or four months.  You know what would be cool?  If Julia turns heel and takes off her eyepatch to show that her "damaged" eye now looks just like Malakai's.  CORRUPTING MIST~!

Lance Archer is an ass stomper, but in no way does he strike me as a guy that will survive Adam Page on big match night.   This should be a decent little program though.

The ref in the match pulling a Herb Dean in the Shida / Deeb match was a nice touch.   QUESTIONABLE STOPPAGE~! even though Shida had to be helped out of the ring.  I also believe this will be leading up to some sort of submission match or Last Woman Standing stip.

It is about damn time that they teased putting Adam Cole and Britt Baker together in the same stable....   Looking forward to Statlander getting her shot at the title even though I don't think she'll win.

It is great that Shawn fucking Spears continues to be the killjoy of the Pinnacle both in real life and in kayfabe.  Only he could ruin the Emancipation of Wardlow face turn tonight.  A man that hits people with chairs just because he thinks it's fun is now the voice of reason.

No lie.  I was kinda hoping that Daniel Garcia would pull off the upset.  I like Sammy, but Garcia is such an unsung hero and a crazy hard worker.  I am happy that we have a fed where Wardlow vs. Punk is in the mid-card and Daniel Garcia wrestles in the main with Sammy.  I am down with Kingston turning heel and forming Nuevo LAX with Santana and Ortiz.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I'm going to be wending my way through this thing as the day goes on, picking and choosing what to watch, but I'm ok with the escalating stuff with Cole and the Best Friends, primarily because Cole's group is a main event group and Best Friends are an upper mid card act. At the end of the day, they'll look valiant but the heels are going to build their forces and go over and then this new formation can wrestle Page with Dark Order as back up, Page can overcome (probably with Britt being a more ready Anna in the process), and then the heels can split and feud with each other. I'm fine with the midcarders getting shown up again and again but still making a good effort of it.

• Like 5

I get that the first two matches were pretty similar (in that both had a bigger guy trying to punish a smaller guy rather than just going for the win, and both had banana-peel-esque finishes) but to my eyes there was a very clear difference in how Punk was using veteran savvy and experience to combat Wardlow's size and power whereas Dante relied on speed, quickness, and explosive athleticism. That felt like the exact right way to go, in both cases, and in my opinion it made for both a sufficient and a pleasing contrast. 

I LOVED Punk's selling, and thought the match did a swell job of putting Wardlow over as a beast, MJF as a dickhole, and Punk as a warrior.

AEW once again showed respect for the intelligence of their audience, in that they know that we know about Cole and Baker and didn't need to make a big deal about it.

Even though I'd normally say that a Bay Bay and a Dentist make for an odd match, them vs an Alien and an Orange is a natural match-up, one of the oldest stories in the book. 

reDRagon vs the Bucks, and likely a six-man when Kenny returns, is something to look forward to. I feel the same about Jericho vs Kingston, as I think that match-up could bring the best stuff out of Jericho that we've seen in a while. FTR vs El Hijo del Double A, too! Got a big kick out of Arn and Tully's tough guy handshake.

I'm always happy to see Bear Country. If I had the book, Dynamite would be mainly built around them, JD Drake, and Legit Leyla. And Lulu pencil.

And the American Dragon Iron Man Challenge Series.

Even though I don't mind when dudes who are way way way smaller than me win matches, hold titles, and get pushed, I very much enjoyed all of the Big Hoss Clubbering that AEW gifted us with this week. I knew I wouldn't be alone in that, on these boards. 

I enjoyed seeing Matt Hardy hit a moonsault! Not because MOOVZ! but.. just cool to see that he still has it in him. 

I feel like I oughta complain about something, for the sake of balance, but I have been marking out all week. Maybe my threshold for joy is a little low? Maybe Pro Wrestling is pretty great? Maybe a little from column A, a little from column B?

Oh, I know! I really wanted Maki Itoh to run in for the save during the Shida beat-down. Enough so that I was almost bummed out when it didn't happen. 

• Like 5

MJF, that walking bag of dicks caused Wardlow that match! Punk was dead in the water after bomb number three! In fact, Punk seemed like no match for  Wardlow. Getting caught by a small package like that was actually pretty weak.

Hobbs looked good.

Jericho and Kingston had words.

MJF with some quality trolling right there! Punk vs Spears, a main event anywhere in the country.

Jesus, Archer! You killed him!

Edited by Shartnado
Archer, Goddammit!

I think if you’ve really been paying close attention to Punk singles matches in AEW, they’ve kinda subtly been suggesting that Punk is pretty close to being over the hill, but he’s been able to use the GTS as his get-out-of-jail-free card. Even the story of the Lee Moriarty match (who is nobody in the pecking order right now) was about Lee outclassing him on the mat. So, it made sense to me that he would have nothing for Wardlow, who they’ve really been building as a force of nature these past few months, and need to basically be bailed out by heel infighting.

• Like 7

Was also at the show - didn’t think the crowd was any less quiet than the two AEW shows I’ve been to in Charlotte. 
It was my first time at this building and I hope they come back because there isn’t many bad seats. I had a seat camera side behind the production stuff and could hear the trash talking in the ring, so, super close for a great priced ticket. 

Some jerk was cat calling during the Shida/Deeb match. He got a great “shut the fuck up” from another fan. 

Weird moment happened in the crowd during the Punk match. Some random older fella in a purple generic Lucha mask was standing directly in the aisle in front of me (I had the seat closest to the aisle in my row). Homie is just standing there directly in front of me. I’m tallish so I hate standing up at these shows because I know I’m blocking someone so I asked the guy to move. He realizes he is blocking me, apologies and gives me a fist bump. He moves to the side. Now blocking others. Just standing there in the aisle. I hear the guy behind me ask the person he was with if she could see to which she said yes but the person next to them couldn’t. Old Lucha man was closest to me so I asked him again to move. Told him he was blocking people. He said, it’s ok. Don’t worry. I asked him again to move and he replies, “I’m part of the show.” And then ignored me. 
Went and got security and the guy left. So weird. 

Speaking of weird. Was the dude with the box on his head on camera? Front row to the right side of the ring? During Rampage some fans my side were yelling at him like it was Kip Sabian but could have sworn it wasn’t?

Dark main event was awesome. Luchasauraus was waaaaay over. Just a fun Match. 

Casual fans near me were confused who was who in the Sammy/Garcia match, didn’t help their gear was similar .

Adam Cole is so damn over.

Kyle O Reilly does littlE things so so well  love him on the outside.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think if you’ve really been paying close attention to Punk singles matches in AEW, they’ve kinda subtly been suggesting that Punk is pretty close to being over the hill, but he’s been able to use the GTS as his get-out-of-jail-free card. Even the story of the Lee Moriarty match (who is nobody in the pecking order right now) was about Lee outclassing him on the mat. So, it made sense to me that he would have nothing for Wardlow, who they’ve really been building as a force of nature these past few months, and need to basically be bailed out by heel infighting.

Completely true, and I'm with the story, but Wardlow murdering him to a cocky one boot cover feels ill-considered.  Wardlow's Powerbomb also feels diminished.  I thought this was a total failure.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Some sort of stipulation. I think Lights Out is most likely. Possibly I Quit or Submission match also.

I've been wanting "I Quit" since the start of this feud, and I think Shida losing by ref stoppage without submitting clearly points to that as the blow-off match.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

To me, lights out doesn’t fit the Deeb and Shida characters. Blow this off with those two in the Lion’s Den

Both could definitely pull off the faux MMA fight cage which housed Hager vs. Wardlow. Tay Conti as well.

10 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I've been wanting "I Quit" since the start of this feud, and I think Shida losing by ref stoppage without submitting clearly points to that as the blow-off match.

Agreed.