DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/12/2022

WAITwaitwaitwait.  Bob Caudill is STILL ALIVE?!?  AWESOME!  Tonight was the LOOK AT ALL OUR BEEFY HOSSES night.  I dug the Wardlow/CM Punk match.  That's how you get Wardlow over as an epic ass stomper.  And then Powerhouse Hobbs and something for Jay Lethal to do.  I look forward to Lethal versus Ricky Starks.  THEN Bear Country.  THEN fucking BRODY KING debuts.  SO MANY HOSSES!  The wrestling was actually pretty pedestrian until the main event and Daniel Garcia is the ACTUAL best wrestler in AEW,  He is fucking awesome.  YAY! AEW HOSS NIGHT!  IF YOU AIN't 3 BILLS, U AIN'T SHIT!

• Like 10

I am going to take the opposite approach and say I enjoyed the first hour pretty well but again thought the show fell off in the second hour. The Diesel/Bret Survivor Series '95 finish makes sense with Punk's comeback leaning so heavily into Bret homage and how highly they think of Wardlow but needing to progress the story of MJF and Punk while ratcheting up the tension between the big man and MJF at the same time. Mission accomplished on all fronts and I was kinda taken aback with how decisive they went with Wardlow until the Bret finish. Great match. Wardlow is so ready. So are we.

That they followed the same pattern with the Hobbs/Dante match, which was pretty damn good up until the end, was the first sign of questionable stuff tonight. How many people does Dante have on his side now? Lio, Sydal, Moriarty, and now Lethal. What the hell?

I'm fine with Deeb/Shida going the way it did but there should've been another women's match. Instead we got a way too long and competitive match between Acclaimed and Bear Country. Sheesh that was rough and the crowd was dead until Stanger came out.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I think King is a fine addition and has chemistry with Black. That Matt Hardy/Penta match was even worse than the tag match that followed it. Holy shit, that was painful. I get that it all served a purpose but neither of those needed to go that long and so close together when the "main event" was Sammy vs. Daniel Garcia. Too much overbooking in the promotion the last chunk of time for me and the second hour was full of it. They threw way too much at us and I don't think much of it really stuck.

Garcia is so fucking good already. He gets pro wrestling. He never breaks his character. Everything he does, whether it be his moves, psychology, or reactions, comes from knowing his character perfectly. He's only going to get better. I think he may have a higher ceiling than Sammy. While he's completely different, and Sammy's style is easier for fans to latch onto, I think I enjoy watching Garcia over Sammy already and he carried this match. 

That Pac video was excellent. Two for two with those.

• Like 4

Just now, TheVileOne said:

I still don't really get frontloading the Dynamites with your biggest matchup. Just seems counter-intuitive to me. Why not build to a match like Punk/Wardlow instead of blowing the wad in the opening segment?

Doesn't the show always bleed viewers? Crowds also burn out. It's the "easy" way I suppose.

A FACE-MELTINGLY GREAT EPISODE OF TEEVEE RASSLIN

WARDLOW IS THE TITTY DADDY!

DEEB IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD!

BEST HOBBES PERFORMANCE EVER!

DANTE LEARNED HOW TO LOOK ANGEY!

PUNK GOT SOMEBODY OVER!

BRITTKLIQ!

HANGMAN PAGE GETS CHAMPIONSHIP POPS!

JUNGLE BOY CONTINUES TO SPEAK COMPETENT ENGLISH!

PENTA/MATT started as an exhausting taunt-off instead of the return of psycho LU arm-breaking Penta that we all want. Significantly better after the PiP break.

I TOLD YOU ALL IT WAS BROOODY KIIING TIIIME~~~ TATTOO FRIENDS ~~~

MAX CASTER occasionally needs a ghost writer but THE BEARS ARE GOOD AND EVERYBODY DID THE WRESTLE.

STING N DARBS ARE NO NOVELTY ACT. BUG DAD N BONE KID!

WHAT DO YOU CALL A PAC WITH NO EYES??? PAC!

DANIEL GARCIA CAN JUST DO THIS SHIT AUTOMATICALLY!

Funny thing, though, this episode didn't "breeze by". Every quarter-hour felt really dense. A lot of really good showcases for homegrown talent, I had to chew on this one but the ep was a banquet.

• Like 6

AEW is going to the same wells too many times, booking-wise, and the seams are starting to show.  Once again the Best Friends run out to attack the Elite and once again get beat down, just like the last half-dozen times.  We had three matches in a row where the story was that one of the competitors didn't care about winning, just about hurting the other person.  And two of them back to back had really similar finishes.  Pretty much every match had some kind of external angle or interference going on.  Just a real mess.

Everything was pretty good in-ring, at least, except for Penta/Hardy.  Sammy/Garcia was a fuckin' banger outside of a couple of awkward spots.

• Like 6

if Kris Stat is Chaos I'm totally for Britt being in Cole's new group. Women wrestlers in stables needs to be more of a thing. Even with Allie and Anna in HFO/Dark Order, more of that is great.

Man Dante and Hobbs totally tore it down. Those two had great chemistry, Hobbs's cut off spots all felt organic and Dante really felt like he was fighting from underneath all night. Hoping we get some explanation for Dante walking on Team Taz though beyond... curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal. 

Really dug Punk/Wardlow too. Kind of hoping this leads to MJF trying to bring Nick Gage back like he did with Jericho but I'm pretty sure in twitter kayfabe MJF stiffed him on the check and I would love to see that have a real conclusion. I kept wondering if AEW had the castigo excesivo rule. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

Shit, I forgot about Lance Archer returning.  EVEN MORE HOSSES TONITE!  Did JR guest book tonight's episode?

That iconoclasm through the chair was just sick as hell

• Like 4

Dan Lambert is a terrible manager. Hangman offered either of his guys a title shot but he passed to insult Hangman for calling himself a cowboy.

Punk vs Wardlow was the highlight of the show. 

Hobbs losing was a bummer and I’m confused as to why Lethal helped him instead of Lio Rush.

Matt Hardy vs Penta was a waste of time but at least it led to the Brody King debut.

Bear Country getting a Dynamite match was cool.

The main event was good but all of the chaos outside the ring and it being involved in the finish was a little too much for me.

Oh and I hope they’re not planning on having Sting in the ring with Luchasaurus that would scare me.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 3

Hey, so is Pac joining House of Black with the tarot card or is he playing Black's game? I'm excited either way and would be really cool if they team up or we get a 15 minute match at Revolution. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I can not get down with how this show started, with the WWE "parade of challengers interrupting a promo" trope. Then followed up with both Wardlow and Hobbs losing by slipping on banana peels in back to back segments. That was just awful if I'm honest. They really have something with Wardlow when he's getting 50/50 chants with CM Punk. I would have found a way to keep him strong in the finish here. That sucked.

Show did pick up some steam as it went along and I enjoyed the second hour. Not sure how Deeb and Shida resolve their issue but it is intense as hell and I am all in on whatever they decide to do.

Garcia is such a prospect. Dude was phenomenal in that main event. Intensity, strikes, grappling, stooge bumps. Damn.

Also its weird how Raleigh crowds tend to suck while Greensboro an hour away is such a killer wrestling town.

WWE stayed away from Greensboro for the crime of killing Miz for mispronouncing Guilford county.  The Triad is as thristy for wrestling as Max is for MJF, with fewer options, it's always been the better wrestling town.

I liked Wardlow/Punk. Made Wardlow look killer while MJF looked like an idiot for not just letting Wardlow get the win. MJF and the 5 Labours of Punk.

Welcome back Murderhawk! Excited for him to be back and gonna be challenging for the title, but at the same time sucks that he'll stay in that same old role of 'monster the champion beats' as he's already done with Cody, Moxley, etc.

Slightly disappointed in Shida/Deeb being more angle than match, but I'm all for the feud continuing for however long they wanna do it.  Dug the little Arn/Tully interaction in the back.

Felt like they threw a ton at us at once as far as next week on Dynamite/this week on Rampage, but cool to see Andrew Everett getting a shot, always enjoyed him in Impact in years past.

• Like 2