DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

On 7/29/2022 at 9:13 PM, Technico Support said:

There's an actual rumor going around that, during his heated argument with TK, Gresham brought up his PWI 500 ranking as evidence of why he should have a certain spot in the company.  I want that to be true so bad.  That's like the story about the wrestler who tried to cash the gimmick check for the battle royal.

I remember some rumors that  Ahmed Johnson did exactly the same thing to Vince in the later 90's. That didn't work out too well, either. If there is any truth to the story.

On 7/29/2022 at 7:13 PM, Technico Support said:

There's an actual rumor going around that, during his heated argument with TK, Gresham brought up his PWI 500 ranking as evidence of why he should have a certain spot in the company.  I want that to be true so bad.  That's like the story about the wrestler who tried to cash the gimmick check for the battle royal.

Gresham: It's still real to me dammit!

Battle Royal winner: It's still real to me dammit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People are dunking on Gresham over that PWI rumor, but he is a good worker. The problem is there isn't a place for him AEW right now because the roster is so crowded. And he's not part of any significant plans for Tony Khan either. 

In other words, AEW creative has nothing for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

People are dunking on Gresham over that PWI rumor, but he is a good worker. The problem is there isn't a place for him AEW right now because the roster is so crowded. And he's not part of any significant plans for Tony Khan either. 

In other words, AEW creative has nothing for him.

Gresham seemed well into the plans prior to the blow-up. Or are you basing that on conversations you've had with Tony and AEW Creative? 'Crowded' 'Bloated' roster is to some what a 'good size roster to choose from to move in and out for weekly Television' is to others. I'll take the latter. Now, if you or any of the other Bloated Roster theorists want to suggest WCW's roster in the late 1990s was 'bloated' 'crowded' with the likes of the signed but never-seen Lanny Poffo, I'll side with you. When talented wrestlers are getting paid and pretty consistent exposure in competitive matches on television (and a well-viewed youtube channel; at least compared to any Indy or non-WWE promotion) I say the more the merrier. That said, I assume you have an example of somebody who you feel should have more TV time. Perhaps TK starting a second promotion, ROH, is worth the wait for said gripe.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Wasn’t Lanny Poffo’s WCW money basically money that they were going to give to Randy, and he asked them to pay his brother instead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wasn’t Lanny Poffo’s WCW money basically money that they were going to give to Randy, and he asked them to pay his brother instead?

that is (in a roundabout way) how Eric Bischoff has described it.

10 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

No, it really doesn't. As we've talked about in here, there's no way he'd come out and say it's developmental while trying to get a TV deal for it. But I think it'd be silly if it doesn't end up as their own NXT in the end. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think the contrast between Dark and Dynamite spoke volumes about how weird the current ROH situation is. Claudio, their top champion, defends his belt on their YouTube show against a bum who gets squashed by Wardlow the next night on Dynamite. The Pure title, on the other hand, goes on last on their big weekly Wednesday night cable show and the title change is met with confetti. At some point I gotta think these two differing pictures have to meet somewhere in the middle. 

1 minute ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

The Pure title, on the other hand, goes on last on their big weekly Wednesday night cable show and the title change is met with confetti.

And honestly, that was only because 1) it was needed to advance the Daniels/Jericho/Garcia storyline and 2) it was in Garcia's hometown.  This is absolutely "title as a prop" and not "title as the main focus."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I think the contrast between Dark and Dynamite spoke volumes about how weird the current ROH situation is. Claudio, their top champion, defends his belt on their YouTube show against a bum who gets squashed by Wardlow the next night on Dynamite. The Pure title, on the other hand, goes on last on their big weekly Wednesday night cable show and the title change is met with confetti. At some point I gotta think these two differing pictures have to meet somewhere in the middle. 

Well this week on Rampage we've got the World Champ main eventing against Dax, a decorated champ many times over and current ROH Tag champ.

Claudio is a fighting champion.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Good point and that's probably going to be a really great match too. 

The thing with Dark/Elevation is you can't look at it alone without factoring in what comes up the following Dynamite/Rampage first. A good portion of it for both is giving some shine to someone who is going to be on that upcoming week's TV.

• Like 2

Yeah, Claudio main evented a special live Dark since he didn't have a singles/tag match/program during the Chicago shows and they wanted to let him wrestle in front of the live crowd in something a bit more featured. The story onus of the ladder match was more about the four way flyers match from dynamite to heat it up and then Fenix getting a win back on Rampage since he ate the fall.

Garcia had some drama stuff, but he commented on his post-title win promo that he wasn't wrestling during PPV week in Chicago and he was just stewing there. Yuta didn't have a match during the week.

Context does matter in this specific situation.

What is an issue is that it's hard to define what the difference between the ROH and the AEW world titles are. The idea that Claudio was in a multi man ladder match just for an opportunity for an AEW title shot feels off to me, but they haven't made any effort to define things. Just the idea that it's like a crown without a kingdom currently but on the promise that someday there will be a kingdom again. They're playing a little fast and loose with that.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I guess even the best case scenario he would be their UWF champion (as in "Dr. Death" Steve Williams).

The old UWF and ROH belts look similar so it works out. Speaking of belts, does anyone know why they went back to the simple looking ROH Title belts instead of using the more fancy and ornate ones they had up until the sale?

7 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

The old UWF and ROH belts look similar so it works out. Speaking of belts, does anyone know why they went back to the simple looking ROH Title belts instead of using the more fancy and ornate ones they had up until the sale?

Seems like Tony wants to connect back to the glory days of ROH. 

• Like 3