DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

I’m not sure where ROH is actually headed based on these two pieces of news from yesterday:

In the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer reports that Final Battle is being promoted as ‘AEW Presents Ring of Honor.

Khan said he considered different options with weekly ROH TV (namely YouTube) but doesn’t want to jump into something when there are a lot of options out there. “It deserves something better," he said. He is still optimistic about getting a weekly ROH tv show.

The last part is a quote from the media scrum last night.

Edited by LF2

6 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Khan said he considered different options with weekly ROH TV (namely YouTube) but doesn’t want to jump into something when there are a lot of options out there. “It deserves something better," he said. He is still optimistic about getting a weekly ROH tv show.

if, after 9 months, you have "a lot of options" but simultaneously think that it "deserves something better" then you probably shouldn't be "optimistic", as it sounds like your options are trash.

i still expect that an announcement about a show will take place at Final Battle. If not, then WTF tony?

• Thanks 2

Yeah sometimes plans don't work out. WBD and more may not want former dead brand on their channels or services.

AEW presenting ROH is weird because they're both separate companies. Unless Tony wants to fold the new ROH Acquisition Co., LLC in the AEW owned company. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

if, after 9 months, you have "a lot of options" but simultaneously think that it "deserves something better" then you probably shouldn't be "optimistic", as it sounds like your options are trash.

i still expect that an announcement about a show will take place at Final Battle. If not, then WTF tony?

I don’t get the people that still think it’s destined for HBO Max. If it was they’d have finalized something by now, even if they’re holding off on the announcement for Final Battle. 

His statement reads like they have the YouTube option, then they’re being offered public access or something. Clearly if it was Discovery he’d be putting over their media partner, or at least suggesting he’s actively working to finalize a deal. 

3 hours ago, Red King said:

AEW presenting ROH is weird because they're both separate companies. Unless Tony wants to fold the new ROH Acquisition Co., LLC in the AEW owned company. 

Going to take a wild guess and say WarnerMedia doesn't want Tony putting on ROH as a competing product (and probably can't contractually) - at least with the AEW branding you're aware that it's from the same company that airs on TNT and TBS

• Like 2

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

Just to clarify, the "deserves something better" part was specifically about doing a Youtube show. He first said he didn't want to hastily jump in to anything when there's a lot of options out there, then later said he could easily do a Youtube show but feels it deserves something better, noting that it would be a placeholder but admitted there would be some benefit to it.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:44 AM, LF2 said:

I’m not sure where ROH is actually headed based on these two pieces of news from yesterday:

In the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer reports that Final Battle is being promoted as ‘AEW Presents Ring of Honor.

How long are we supposed to wait for Tony Khan to find something better for ROH right now? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

How long are we supposed to wait for Tony Khan to find something better for ROH right now? 

Personally I'm giving until Feb because if I remember correctly that's when the networks start announcing shows for the Spring

• Like 2

• Claudio vs Jericho with fun stips
  • FTR vs Gunns or Kingdom?
  • Mercedes vs Athena
  • Joe vs ???
  • Garcia vs ???
  • Dalton/Boys vs ??? (Go 2.0/Hager or Rush/10... Andrade? or I guess Cage/Gates?)

As good as I think Mercedes vs Athena will be I feel like they need to toss a dream match on this... like Danielson/Shibata vs Briscoes. I would like to see Danielson/Shibata vs Briscoes. Would you like to see Danielson/Shibata vs Briscoes too? Can we will this into the universe and then have the Danielson vs Shibata singles match on the Portland AEW show?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 7:54 PM, Matt D said:
  • Claudio vs Jericho with fun stips
  • FTR vs Gunns or Kingdom?
  • Mercedes vs Athena
  • Joe vs ???
  • Garcia vs ???
  • Dalton/Boys vs ??? (Go 2.0/Hager or Rush/10... Andrade? or I guess Cage/Gates?)

As good as I think Mercedes vs Athena will be I feel like they need to toss a dream match on this... like Danielson/Shibata vs Briscoes. I would like to see Danielson/Shibata vs Briscoes. Would you like to see Danielson/Shibata vs Briscoes too? Can we will this into the universe and then have the Danielson vs Shibata singles match on the Portland AEW show?

I could go for Danielson/Shibata vs Briscoes, yes. And then, after the Briscoes win, it could lead to Danielson vs Shibata one on one at one pre-show or another.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Confused Villanova Grad said:

I like Claudio quite a bit, but my first thought is that TK has given up on getting a tv deal, so might as well put the belt back on a smaller name.

Or Claudio is a big enough name to headline a big show before Jericho drops the belt on the first episode of the tv show. I’m not super confident that a tv deal is happening but it could go either way. If a tv deal isn’t announced at this show I’d imagine it’s probably not going to ever happen and ROH will probably start to fade away.

With JoE being a double champ I could easily see the TV title getting merged with TNT if a deal doesn’t materialize. 

So, the starting time of Final Battle in US is 4PM. Does that make it like 11PM over here? If so, then it's actually possible to watch this one live. If I don't have any other plans for that evening, and I'm pretty sure I don't.

• Like 1