DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

Homicide has to be coming in for this. What a fantastic storyline! So many possibiities for Jericho matches. This has started off so strong that I already expect this to be my favorite Chris Jericho run since WCW. They're slowly silencing the 'why buy ROH?' crowd maybe all the way to weekly television. Bring on Caprice! Bring on Dalton Castle! 

• Like 7

Is Morishima still in really bad shape? His cancelled return in 2018 was very sad and given that he hasn't tried to come back again since I'm presuming he's done. Still, if he had one last good one in him and they could make the crowd care, I feel like the current iteration of Jericho would be an ideal opponent (that is, faster and more agile than Morishima but also not so fast and agile that it would immediately expose how busted up Mori is. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Homicide has to be coming in for this. What a fantastic storyline! So many possibiities for Jericho matches. This has started off so strong that I already expect this to be my favorite Chris Jericho run since WCW. They're slowly silencing the 'why buy ROH?' crowd maybe all the way to weekly television. Bring on Caprice! Bring on Dalton Castle! 

Willing to bet that Dalton and the Boys defend the Trios title on next week’s Battle of the Belts

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gorman said:

They've got a title defense coming up on Monday's Elevation.

That was taped in Philly, right? Would Dalton be ready to wrestle again live with a week and a half?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

They should had made Rampage the ROH show. Imagine smaller roster with all the ROH belts moved there.

AEW is the ROH show right now and that's the damn problem. They bought ROH with no plan what to do with it afterwards. Fans watching AEW didn't want ROH. 

So just to sum up: somehow the show that's consistently the best and most enjoyable hour of wrestling every week is also apparently completely ruined due to the ROH hires. That would have probably been hired and featured on Rampage anyway just without the ROH name. Got it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

They should had made Rampage the ROH show. Imagine smaller roster with all the ROH belts moved there.

Dave Meltzer thinks they’ll rebrand Rampage as the ROH show if/when they don’t line up a tv deal for Ring of Honor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, madl said:

Dave Meltzer thinks they’ll rebrand Rampage as the ROH show if/when they don’t line up a tv deal for Ring of Honor.

I hope he's right. I mean I'm generally a fan of AEW's version of 'Sunday Night Heat' aka the B show Rampage, but I'd love it even more if it were the main focused weekly Ring of Honor TV. I like to think this would mean it's own taping rather than putting on matches in front of exhausted crowds post-Dynamite. The earlier suggestion of using the Universal tapings, which has been mentioned prior, would be far less appealing. For one, those crowds seem full of casual fans and their families. Not a problem for an AEW c/d show. Potentially a problem however for a Wrestling based product very much in need of hot crowds. Further, Dark has been great for finding a few reps for the greenhorns, and trying out new talent. Let's go with ROH 'It's Rampage Baby'. And hey, why not just make Elevation the B show that so many less fans watch?   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I hope he's right. I mean I'm generally a fan of AEW's version of 'Sunday Night Heat' aka the B show Rampage, but I'd love it even more if it were the main focused weekly Ring of Honor TV. I like to think this would mean it's own taping rather than putting on matches in front of exhausted crowds post-Dynamite. The earlier suggestion of using the Universal tapings, which has been mentioned prior, would be far less appealing. For one, those crowds seem full of casual fans and their families. Not a problem for an AEW c/d show. Potentially a problem however for a Wrestling based product very much in need of hot crowds. Further, Dark has been great for finding a few reps for the greenhorns, and trying out new talent. Let's go with ROH 'It's Rampage Baby'. And hey, why not just make Elevation the B show that so many less fans watch?   

TNA had dedicated fans at Universal until that "you're cast members and have to react how we say" pre-show lecture from the producer in 2010 or 2011 - they all disappeared after that

Tourist crowd mixed with smart fans would be better for ROH than taping it before Dynamite in a large arena where the fans don't care at all - then it's just ECW on Sci Fi. The smart fans don't show up now at Universal because the AEW Dark matches are trash.

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

TNA had dedicated fans at Universal until that "you're cast members and have to react how we say" pre-show lecture from the producer in 2010 or 2011 - they all disappeared after that

Tourist crowd mixed with smart fans would be better for ROH than taping it before Dynamite in a large arena where the fans don't care at all - then it's just ECW on Sci Fi. The smart fans don't show up now at Universal because the AEW Dark matches are trash.

Neat video. Thanks for sharing. 

If this were still the former era/roster of ROH then I'd have to agree, but it's not. It's very likely half the roster of AEW. Get out of here with that Dark is trash talk. Okay, there's a bit of trash. I won't deny skimming passed some of the mat action, but there's always lots to enjoy from those tapings. The trick is to pick and choose. Pick... and choose!

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Why would TNT be OK with that?

It probably wouldn't hurt the ratings any. There would still be crossover, it would be more of a brand then a different promotion. Its not like they are going to sign Delirious and have him feud with Cheeseburger on Friday nights.

Just now, Gordlow said:

Then I'm not that interested.

That sounded harsher than I intended haha I like Cheeseburger! I just meant they aren't going to have wrestlers that the national viewing audience have never seen before, they'll just swap some of their wrestlers to being ROH wrestlers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That sounded harsher than I intended haha I like Cheeseburger! I just meant they aren't going to have wrestlers that the national viewing audience have never seen before, they'll just swap some of their wrestlers to being ROH wrestlers.

It all depends on how much you like the Trustbusters theme.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It probably wouldn't hurt the ratings any. There would still be crossover, it would be more of a brand then a different promotion. Its not like they are going to sign Delirious and have him feud with Cheeseburger on Friday nights.

Seems unlikely and a terrible idea to rebrand your third AEW hour into ROH, especially when lots of AEW guys aren't getting booked as it is.

• Like 2

Remember when we had a filter on the word product? Can we get one of those for poster specific ROH rant spam? lol

(And I don't even disagree with the thesis. I think ROH was bought on a whim without a specific business plan. I think it's muddied the waters on the AEW creative focus. But at a certain point there really isn't a point to posting the same exact post almost word for word 500 times in six months).

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Remember when we had a filter on the word product? Can we get one of those for poster specific ROH rant spam? lol

(And I don't even disagree with the thesis. I think ROH was bought on a whim without a specific business plan. I think it's muddied the waters on the AEW creative focus. But at a certain point there really isn't a point to posting the same exact post almost word for word 500 times in six months).

It's appropriate considering the ROH purgatory that AEW has created.