DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Forced my wife to watch the tag match today.  It is still a stunning piece of professional wrestling.

Hopefully you two had a cigarette afterwards?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

I bought Honor Club for the fantastic PPV, but wondering if anybody has any suggestions for other content?  Of the more recent ROH, I've only really seen the shows I saw live at Ted Revee Arena here in Toronto.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

This was my first ROH show and I really enjoyed it. I was stunned Swerve took that spot and I'm glad he's okay. The Briscoes are crazy people. Amazing match. Yuta has grown on me and I hope his push continues. Main event was aces.

One reason to continue to watch is the Pure division. The separate rules they have are interesting to me and you can go in a lot of new directions in that match type. Will have to find out where to watch this weekly.

• Like 3

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, honest question, are they leaving Sinclair? 

Almost assuredly yes

But technically anything is possible until TK announces what the future plans are and he was supposedly waiting until the sale is finalized (which last I heard, technically, wasn't) to do so

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:41 AM, Shadow said:

This was my first ROH show and I really enjoyed it. I was stunned Swerve took that spot and I'm glad he's okay. The Briscoes are crazy people. Amazing match. Yuta has grown on me and I hope his push continues. Main event was aces.

One reason to continue to watch is the Pure division. The separate rules they have are interesting to me and you can go in a lot of new directions in that match type. Will have to find out where to watch this weekly.

Glad the ROH Pure Championship was brought back. Stood out with the rules and tactics around them.

31 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Meltzer calls this number "phenomenal."

Well deserved. Combination of Tony Khan buying ROH, his track record in AEW, wanting to see the first show since said purchase and a true dream match in #FTR vs. The Briscoe Brothers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Glad the ROH Pure Championship was brought back. Stood out with the rules and tactics around them.

I really dug the Pure Title Match.  I do think they need to provide a tidier presentation of said rules.  I'd like to see a video package that showcases the rules with highlights of previous bouts.  Or something new that's nicely filmed.  The billboard of rules as is looks like a lot of jargon that is easily missed for a newcomer.  I wasn't a newcomer but my pal was and she was full of questions that could have been better answered.     

I assume those numbers are PPV buys only(?).  I wonder what the Honor Club numbers look like.  That's how I streamed this.  Also, curious as to how these numbers compare with past shows.  I'm guessing this is a huge leap.  And I'm hoping this helps, as TK alluded to in the post scrum, in getting them a weekly timeslot.  The future looks very bright for this Ring of Honor.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

"Sean Ross Sapp has Confirmed that a lot of the new ROH roster will be made of AEW contracted talent and talent that work AEW often. Says a lot of ROH regulars will no longer be there."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

"Sean Ross Sapp has Confirmed that a lot of the new ROH roster will be made of AEW contracted talent and talent that work AEW often. Says a lot of ROH regulars will no longer be there."

Wasn't the whole roster released from their contracts earlier this year anyway?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Wasn't the whole roster released from their contracts earlier this year anyway?

Well yes, but freelancer wise they won't all be showing up in the future.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Please, please keep on Beer City Bruiser and Brian Milonas. And the illustrious Cheeseburger. And whoever isn't signed from the WOH tourney. 

Well, they're keeping Kaun and I assume they are signing Josh Woods since he was on Dark a bunch.  I guess Dalton Castle and Rhett Titus are out,

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Gresham is also staying since - while not announced - most believe he is signed with AEW

I read somewhere (Twitter?  Facebook? Here? Info Wars?) that Gresham is being cut out of the Progress shows on the network because he is signed to AEW.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

I read somewhere (Twitter?  Facebook? Here? Info Wars?) that Gresham is being cut out of the Progress shows on the network because he is signed to AEW.

Yeah - in what will be heartbreaking news for you the Gresham/Dean Allmark match from March isn't on the Network

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Well, they're keeping Kaun and I assume they are signing Josh Woods since he was on Dark a bunch.  I guess Dalton Castle and Rhett Titus are out,

Could be, but I suspect the guys who worked the Supercard are at the very least under consideration.  Hoping Dalton Castle gets a chance to shine.  Titus isn't somebody I'd root for to get signed, but he did a helluva job dropping the belt to Suzuki.  My guess is we'll see a number of former talents brought in sparringly for job duty or a short program. 

@RIPPAWas there any other ROH updates in the Observer this week?

To me, it seems like the way to go is with a weekly HBO max show. Then it's not so directly competing with TBS/TNT but they can still push all sorts of "brand synergies" between the two products and it might test the waters for AEW specials on there.

Of course, that could eventually mess with whatever Khan's doing with a streaming service, but an AEW hub on HBO Max probably makes the most sense anyway right now.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

@RIPPAWas there any other ROH updates in the Observer this week?

Well there was this

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/aews-tony-khan-having-more-conversations-with-warnermedia-about-growing-roh

Basically WarnerMedia has to approve whatever it is that TK wants to do with it seeming like TK wants to do a weekly show with like Quarterly "events"

This is partly why TK keeps thanking WarnerMedia since they could have cancelled Supercard of Honor

Other than that nothing really Earth shattering (and some of this might have been know already)

• Tickets for Supercard weren't great until Briscoes/FTR was added
  • TK is still conflicted about running Supercard as an annual event at Mania time. If he does it next year, it definitely won't be on Friday
  • He wants to book Purrazzo vs. Martinez as soon as possible (to consolidate the belts and to, most likely, get the title off of Purrazzo)
  • TK said when he renewed Brian Cage's deal he couldn't tell Cage the reason since TK was under a NDA
  • Samoa Joe was actively trying to get people in WWE to purchase the ROH library. 
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1