DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

11 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

It's interesting that they didn't announce any further dates (or did I miss such a thing?).  I hope they find there way to the root Northeast cities soon.  Maybe a Manhattan Center return.  A nice mid-sized venue in Philly - the old ECW Arena?  And here to Toronto.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of venues they work.  Geez, there are so many interesting questions going forth.  What an excellent start tho. 

I've been wondering about that myself, now that you bring it up. Ive seen people float the idea of taping ROH on a soundstage like Dark, which obviously makes sense cost-wise, but I don't think that's the right atmosphere. I'm with you entirely on the small to mid sized venues - run 6-12 events a year in your ECW Arenas, Hammersteins, Terminal 9, that Lowell, MA building they used to run Raw at, or even up in your neck of the woods, I thought that nightclub TNA ran looked really cool on TV. I think theres an argument that they could make up for the loss in seats for smaller venues by doing a bit of a ticket price increase if the top of the card has people like Joe, Punk, Danielson, FTR etc. Its like when a massive band does an intimate club gig, people would pay a premium

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've been wondering about that myself, now that you bring it up. Ive seen people float the idea of taping ROH on a soundstage like Dark, which obviously makes sense cost-wise, but I don't think that's the right atmosphere. I'm with you entirely on the small to mid sized venues - run 6-12 events a year in your ECW Arenas, Hammersteins, Terminal 9, that Lowell, MA building they used to run Raw at, or even up in your neck of the woods, I thought that nightclub TNA ran looked really cool on TV. I think theres an argument that they could make up for the loss in seats for smaller venues by doing a bit of a ticket price increase if the top of the card has people like Joe, Punk, Danielson, FTR etc. Its like when a massive band does an intimate club gig, people would pay a premium

That Lowell Memorial Auditorium is beautiful!  Yeah, that would be incredible. I'd love for somebody to start a thread of photographs of those early Monday Night Raw venues.  Amongst other comprably attractive spots.

Very happy with FTR in the mix, but also like the idea of rotating other special AEW attractions in.  Also, a few vets stationed like Joe, Lethal and Mercedes Martinez.  And fingers crossed - the Briscoes.  That said, my hope for this roster is mainly a mix of emerging acts.  'The not ready for prime time players'.  Tho, who knows, coming out of this PPV it does sorta feel like the whole thing could suddenly catch fire.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

That Lowell Memorial Auditorium is beautiful!  Yeah, that would be incredible. I'd love for somebody to start a thread of photographs of those early Monday Night Raw venues.  Amongst other comprably attractive spots.

Very happy with FTR in the mix, but also like the idea of rotating other special AEW attractions in.  Also, a few vets stationed like Joe, Lethal and Mercedes Martinez.  And fingers crossed - the Briscoes.  That said, my hope for this roster is mainly a mix of emerging acts.  'The not ready for prime time players'.  Tho, who knows, coming out of this PPV it does sorta feel like the whole thing could suddenly catch fire.  

You know, it's going to sound like an odd comparison to make, but part of me thinks NXT TakeOver might be the blueprint to follow with these moving forward.Established guys on top, the best of developmental underneath, cycle the rest on Dark. If they do well enough, who knows, maybe you tether it to an AEW PPV and make it a weekend

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

The Briscoes-FTR match alone was worth the $29.95.  Gresham-Bandido was simply frosting on the cake, and excellent use of Chavito. And the post-match gave me my biggest mark-out moment in years.

• Like 9

This really did feel like an old school NXT Takeover in that it was a tight show in a very watchable (under 3 hours) period in front of a hot crowd where everything on the card was at least good with one or two real standouts (usually featuring The Revival, now that I think back...)

• Like 3

Enjoyed the shit out of this show.

The FTR/Briscoes is worth it.  MOTYC without question.  

Anywhere Joe goes.  I am pleased.  

Edit: Yes.  The Lowell Memorial Auditorium is a great venue.  ROH and TNA have also run there IIRC.  But I really know it from all the NXT house shows I went to there. I went to all except the one where Joe won the NXT title goddamnit (and the 205 Live house show they held there that had Matt Hardy vs. Bray Wyatt on it for some reason).

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 3

I love that Tony Khan kind of lucked into every aspect of last night show and that he just has to wait for things to develop, as opposed to careful planning,  Like, I love that he isn't sure how Deonna Purrazzo will wrestle Mercedes Martinez yet.  I always assumed he would just call Scott D'Amore and tell him what is what.

• Like 1

Joe killing it at the media scrum.  Great promo on the potential Gold (around the 49:00 minute mark).

Maybe it's the influence of how beautifully Taz, at a somewhat similar stature (at least in comparison to the competition), carried himself in ECW, but I really wanna see Gresham get an obnoxious whistle blowing manager like Fonzie.  The potential benefits for him to offset his stellar in ring with a mouthpiece could be greatly beneficial.  Josh Woods would also certainly benefit from a similar partnering.  Smooth in ring, a bit clumsy elsewhere.  He could also benefit from a better presentation - better ring gear, something more trad.  Something in line with the Angles, Alexanders and Varsity Clubs.  It looks promising for Dalton Castle sticking around.  It's difficult to gage his health, but he was certainly bumping all around against the not so impressive (here) Hendry.  Really dig his act and wanna see him get something to work with.  Tully Blanchard Enterprises will be a joy to see watch and grow.  It might be wishful thinking, but I'm curious if he can help get Brian Cage on the right path.  Of this new faction, Kaun seems to me to be the true potential breakout star tho.  Let's hope that Visa issue gets sorted with Bandido.  Who does Chavito bring in for revenge?  I'll gladly take the return of Dragon Lee and his brother Rooosh.  Or the Kings of Wrestling.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wrong company haha. Who is second in command, anyway? 

No, to get Deonna Purrazzo to wrestle in ROH.

• Like 1

FTR vs The Briscoes was fucking amazing. And worth the price of the event alone. God damn did they deliver. FTR are legitimately the greatest tag team of all time in my opinion. They can work every style effectively and just get it man. Loved everything about this match. Including Paul Turner getting to look like a badass.

Tully's team on the preshow is like finding a really good product at a high end store and just grabbing a great value version to put next to him. At one point Cheeseburger didnt quite get all the way over on a leapfrog and Taou(?) sold it like he was struck and stunned. In what world during an enhancement match for monsters should the monster sell so much, let alone for a botch?? Kaun looked like a million bucks tho. But Taou(?) had two or three other botches as well.

Brian Cage will hopefully have a real second chance here. Thought his enhancement match did a pretty good job reestablishing him. Solid and effective.

Loved Moriarty vs Lethal. Also loved the women's interim title match. That was the first Willow match I've seen and along with her solid promo in the hype package I am pretty shocked she isn't signed anywhere. She has a fun personality, a good look, and can go man. I was also real impressed with Caprice Coleman on commentary too. Riccobani tho is wayyy too over the top phony radio DJ sounding and I hated having to listen to him. He seems like a guy WWE would love to have.

Overall not disappointed with my purchase at all. FTR v Briscoes is my MOTY so far. The event as a whole was a bit underwhelming. But that match, the women, Moriarty vs Lethal, & a Joe appearance is enough for me to give a thumbs up for sure.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, matt925 said:

Sorry @Nineteenfor not seeing your post, I resubbed to honor club monthly option and watched the show. What was actually annoying was when I clicked through to purchase the option, I got an error message saying there was already a member with that address, as I subscribed when it first started. Got busy at work and tried the process again 10 minutes later and got same result. Then I looked at my email and had two order confirmations, with two pending charges on my card. Sent an email to the help line, hopefully they clear one of the pending charges or I’ll have to dispute it. 

Thanks homie, I reached out to a few other people who clarified and my post was pretty eleventh hour (for... zero hour). Got it all sorted out!

Man Swerve and Zayne might be best match I've seen from either guy. That poison rana to the floor was FILTHY. A DCO-> restart there would have been totally valid there. That's how you open a show.

I've seen Ninja Mack at a few GCW shows and wish he got more shine but if you need someone to bump for Cage like that, he totally delivered.

Lethal and Moriarty was fantastic and glad we finally got a character change for Lethal. Dude's never been the best promo (for me at least) and hopefully Sonjay can pick up some of that slack.

Holy shit just mainline FTR/Briscoes right into my veins. This was a rare match where I was like yes, fight forever. Like others totally would justified buying this show on its own. That felt like little send off for Dem Boys at the end too but hoping the Bucks getting involved like that was planting the seeds for something else with them. It's crazy for the journey RoH has been on that Jay and Mark have been such solid consistents for them for most of the entire run (minus a little hiatus here and there). One of the all time best FTR matches ever too which is RIDICULOUS bar. (And Bucks/FTR II in less than a week!)

Kaze ni nare~ 

Yuta/Woods was a pleasant surprise. This was about where I got a little worried for RoH on the whole though. With all the mainstay RoH guys losing I hope this isn't a hard reset on the company. I know no one is technically under contract right now but I'm hoping they get a roster in place sooner than later. For all the great on this show it felt weird that most AEW/Outside people went over and having Dalton on the pre show. By the time we got to the Dynamite commercials it was like "Okay which company am I really watching here?"

And the main was fantastic too. I hope Bandido still has a home in RoH when the dust clears and Lethal shitting himself when Joe showed up was an incredible moment. 

Run, Jay. Joe's gonna kill you.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

FTR vs The Briscoes was fucking amazing. And worth the price of the event alone. God damn did they deliver. FTR are legitimately the greatest tag team of all time in my opinion. They can work every style effectively and just get it man. Loved everything about this match. Including Paul Turner getting to look like a badass.

Paul Turner will always have my respect for the main event of The Battle Lines Are Drawn. While I was trying not to get clobbered during the Six-Man War between the Prophecy and the Second City Saints, I got a great view of Turner getting drilled with one of the most vicious chairshots I've ever seen.

• Like 2

i don't know what i expected, but i didn't love this show. Obviously FTR/Briscoes was amazing. and Samoa Joe becoming All Elite is a moment i've been waiting for. So pumped for that. 

But most of the matches just didn't draw me in. A big reason is because i didn't know any of the ROH wrestlers, so that's on me. All of the matches being won by AEW talent (or Minoru Suzuki) was certainly a choice. I mean, i get it due to contracts and such, but made for a weird watch once i picked up on the trend. i'm interested in where ROH goes from here, but i don't know if it's something i will watch every week. I guess we'll have to see how it operates going forward.

• Like 2