DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'm not totally into the "ROH is AEW's NXT" talk, but if it is then Tully's new guy should be Brock Anderson. 

Apologize in advance if this guess is wrong because whoever it will be can't live up to this...

But if Tully ain't leading Cesaro out there to squash Ninja Mack I want a partial refund.

(Just 2% of the purchase price. A small modest refund is justified for no Cesaro lol).

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Apologize in advance if this guess is wrong because whoever it will be can't live up to this...

But if Tully ain't leading Cesaro out there to squash Ninja Mack I want a partial refund.

(Just 2% of the purchase price. A small modest refund is justified for no Cesaro lol).

I've heard similar speculation and I fear there's a few ppl going to be disappointed by Tully's new charge (tho 2% is more than a fair refund). I'm sure I could be wrong, but I don't see it being Claudio.  Does it makes sense for him to debut as a heel?  I suspect we may see him by show's end, but I also kinda suspect he'll be saved for a 'main roster' debut.  Wherever he shows up, I just hope he brings Hero along with him.  I'm thinking Tully likes upstarts, maybe his son in law?  Tho, I'd rather see somebody else.  Brock Anderson was a name that crossed my mind as well.  Whomever it is I'd like it to be somebody who matches up well with Ninja Mack.  I wanna see that dude get a proper showing.  That said, I certainly won't complain if Castagnoli shows up and murders him.  

• Like 2

Anyone know if the show is on the regular plan for Honor Club? It used to be you needed the yearly (VIP) plan to get the PPVs.  I just signed up for the regular plan and watching the pre show now

• Like 1

Pre-Show!  Blake Christian needs to find the spray tan if he is going to make his way up in the business.  He looked impressive, very pale but impressive.  Colt Cabana looked happy to be back in ROH.  I assume AQA will whip out the Shooting Star Press for this.  Miranda Alize is used to Booker T trainees.  I assume they wrestled in ROW.  Alize looked good beating the crud out of the teeny AQA.  AQA lays it in like Booker T taught her.  Man, that's a beautiful Shooting Star Press.  HOLY SHIT!  Kaun and Toa Leona are with Tully Blanchard!  God, they are the new Samoan Swat Team.  Tully Blanchard is the new Skandar Akbar!  Oh my God, Daulton Castle's entourage is awesome.     Joe Hendry is the Tony Neese of ROH except without the abs.  Let us now take a moment to acknowledge that Ian Riccabonni and Caprice Coleman are so close to almost being as good as the IMPACT! commentary.  Jesus, Castle is bumping like a lunatic.  This match is great.  HE IS RING OF HONOR!   I could dig an hour of this every week.  

• Like 3

FTR and the Briscoes created masterful art.  Fun show.  

On the preee, loved seeing a happy Cabana.  I would splurge on 'Copacabana' and give the crowd a forgotten classic.  @DEANs keen eye says Blake Christian needs a tan and who am I to argue with the man?  Christian is talented and Cabana deserves to be celebrated in the upper mid-card.  AQA is perfectly suited for spreading her wings in Honor.  Tully's gonna have to work on these cats being his SST.  Kaun's absolutely got it.  Toa needs some work, but I expect we'll see results in due time.  Dalton Castle seemed to be wrestling for two against Hendry.  I don't think Joe's long for this promotion.  I hope Castle is.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

This was the first full ROH show I've watched in years, and it was great to see such a lively crowd. Those pandemic shows were legitimately depressing, man. Truly excited to see what the new ROH has to offer after tonight. No way FTR vs Briscoes isnt a MOTYC right, or am I just overexcited?

• Like 6

The PPV!  I've seen Alex Zayne once on IMPACT in a 3 way.  Shane Strickland is so odd.  Zayne is trying to outweird Strickland and it's fun!  Jesus Christ, Strickland not afraid to take a Poison Rana to the floor.  So they starting throwing bombs and the crowd is awake.  This is like Kanyon vs Kanyon.  That was fun.  Tully Blanchard comes back out and  Oh, THAT's why they picked up his option.  It's Brian Cage!  Tully Blanchard is the new Paul Jones.  Ninja Mack takes a very nasty Drill Claw like a champ.  Postmatch, the TULLY BLANCHARD ARMY!  First match with the second four pillars of AEW, Lee Moriarty takes on Jay Lethal.  Moriarty is so built for ROH.  Jay Lethal is so awesome.  I love his ring generalship; he is wrestling this like Ric Flair.  Moriarty sells like a king and he sells while making his fiery comeback.  WHAT A GREAT FUCKING FINISH.  LETHAL IS AWESOME!   Sooo great.  Willow Nightengale was really good against Mercedes Martinez.  Willow should have won.  She was all dynamic and a powerhouse.  The Briscoes didn't come out to Gimme Back My Bullets but I have not given up on this match.  I am stoked.  FTR has the old ROH logo on their tights.  The crowd is fucking frothing.  Awesome!  They are holding off on Jay and Dax touching.   Then they lock up!  Man, Dax Harwood is fucking great spitting on Jay Briscoe.  God, FTR are soooo good.  Oh man. THIS IS STIFF.  Jay Briscoe is feeling the moment and Mark is wrestling waaay over his head.  Jay bleeds like a TOTAL FREAK.  Dax Harwood is sooo fucking great flipping off a bleeding Jay,  Mark is a great Robert Gibson.  Is Dax bleeding or is it Jay's blood?  This is the greatest tag match ever.  BIG RIG!  YES!  GREATEST TAG EVER!   Well, that was worth $29.99.  God help anyone who has to follow THAT.    Rhett Titus looked good before getting slaughtered by a Gotch Style Piledriver.  I want to see Suzuki hug some children.  God, who is going to take that belt off him?   Man, Wheeler Yuta and Josh Woods are still having to follow the greatest tag match ever with a technical match.  They should have had the tag match last, obviously.  Josh Woods is impressive.  The problem is that two days ago Yuta had a match against the best wrestler currently wrestling alive on earth and the memory still lingers.  I assume Jonathan Gresham is signed so he keeps the belt.  He looks fucking great.  Bandido is pretty fucking great too.  I loved the super extended British Bulldog body slam by Bandido.  Gresham's Malenko-ism is very cool.  It's cool that Bandido can wrestle a match like this.    The finishing sequence is INSANE.  This was all good.  The Briscoes/FTR match was one for the ages.   ROH RULES!  JAY LETHAL IS EVIL!  HOLY SHIT!

Spoiler

SAMOA JOE!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This was the first full ROH show I've watched in years, and it was great to see such a lively crowd. Those pandemic shows were legitimately depressing, man. Truly excited to see what the new ROH has to offer after tonight. No way FTR vs Briscoes isnt a MOTYC right, or am I just overexcited?

No, that match was completely balls out great,

• Like 7

Really enjoyed the show. Briscoes vs ftr was outstanding. Lots of good enjoyable stuff. A bit aew heavier than I would’ve done but it was a good show and I hope on Wednesday we get some idea of what comes next.

Sorry @Nineteenfor not seeing your post, I resubbed to honor club monthly option and watched the show. What was actually annoying was when I clicked through to purchase the option, I got an error message saying there was already a member with that address, as I subscribed when it first started. Got busy at work and tried the process again 10 minutes later and got same result. Then I looked at my email and had two order confirmations, with two pending charges on my card. Sent an email to the help line, hopefully they clear one of the pending charges or I’ll have to dispute it. 

But that’s ok! I’ll deal with that later I had fun watching the show and I’m looking forward to what’s coming next, because it is something. 

• Like 2

I didn’t watch sadly but I saw a tweet about Joe and got mad thinking it was an April Fools Day thing. Then I saw the clip and teared up. I love me some Joe. 

I haven’t been watching ROH since Nigel was champion. I’m excited to jump back in.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, matt925 said:

bit aew heavier than I would’ve done but it was a good show and I hope on Wednesday we get some idea of what comes next.

I'm insanely curious about what this roster will look like moving forward, if there's a roster. Totally baseless speculation, but I could see ROH looking exactly like it did tonight: a hybrid of classic ROH stars, young AEW guys, and indie guys. I wouldn't be surprised if all non-AEW talent ends up on per appearance type deals or something. For example, I thought it was interesting that both Yuta and Joe got the "is All Elite" treatment after the show. Really interested in how all of this is going to be structured.

• Like 4

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm insanely curious about what this roster will look like moving forward, if there's a roster. Totally baseless speculation, but I could see ROH looking exactly like it did tonight: a hybrid of classic ROH stars, young AEW guys, and indie guys. I wouldn't be surprised if all non-AEW talent ends up on per appearance type deals or something. For example, I thought it was interesting that both Yuta and Joe got the "is All Elite" treatment after the show. Really interested in how all of this is going to be structured.

Yeah for sure. But I was really thinking about how ftr and yuta came in and swooped up roh titles from roh wrestlers. The ftr briscoes match was perfect from beginning through post match. And I predicted that yuta would win the pure title and present it to the Blackpool combat club, which is excellent storytelling. 

But just with those two results close together, combined with the dynamite commercial just felt like a bit too much. I liked how the commentators mentioned something that would happen on Wednesday, but the graphics felt like too much to me. I wouldn’t change the ftr or yuta match for anything. 

• Like 1

What a great, great show! Tag title match was a straight MOTYC, and the main was list-worthy. Willow was elevated in defeat. MiSu as TV champ means more MiSu for all of us! That big surprise at the end was perfect. I'm just giddy now, still.

Oh! Toa Liona! Kaun! Gates of Agony = New Faces of Fear! 

(SST also a good call)

I might get my Toa Liona dream matches now.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7

Holy fuck, Zayne's posionrana to Swerve to the floor!!  I suspect we'll see some twitter clipse floating around in here soon.  It's a blessed joy anytime Tully is on the screen.  Who'd have thought ROH would be such a great new venue for Tully to rule the roost!?  I like seeing Cage get another crack, but especially with Tully in his ear.  I'd dig seeing Ninja Mack get a contract, and I suspect he will.  It should be noted that there are some pretty terrible Mohawks in pro wrestling right now (Spears, Eddie Edwards), but maybe, just maybe, a big gas tank like Cage can pull it off.  Lethal-Moriarty was terrific!  Lethal's low blow was the best true over heel maneuver I've seen in ages. This sealed the greatness of 2022 Jay Lethal for me.  For years I didn't think he quite had it in him, but I stand corrected.  Jay Lethal everybody!!  Mercedes-Willow was terrific.  I love Martinez working ROH readying the greenhorns.  Willow looked good.  Briscoes-FTR was as good as anything I've seen this year which puts it in some great company.  For a moment there, that post match truly felt like a goodbye to the Briscoes, but I see no way the Bucks go unanswered.  I love the Bucks!  And I love Cutler!  So stoked for more Mark and Jay - clearly, two of the best wrestlers in 2022. I was hoping for a Titus murder, but what Was worked just fine.  Nice way to celebrate this terrific North American victory lap for Suzuki.  Woods-Yuta was uniquely one of the best silent crowd matches I can remember seeing.  I really loved what they did in there.  Gresham-Bandido was terrific.  Chavo's involvement was smart booking and took the crowd up a notch going forth. I look forward to seeing both of these supremely talented dudes grow in this new venture.  Who will Chavo bring in for revenge!?  Then there was Joe.  Neat to see him.  It's seems a bit strange to say, but it's the first I've seen of him since his original ROH run.  No wait, other than Kurt Angle's TNA debut.  That was the last I'd seen of him.  He's a great elder statesment for this company.  An exciting debut to close.  

Lastly, this PPV was a great argument for 3 hour PPVs.  No exhaustion.  I may even have a tape delay Rampage in me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jay Lethal and Lee Moriarty was my cup of tea. What an absolutely excellent match with great storytelling. Commentary was fan-tastic all night and really helped add to the show. Zayne and Swerve really surprised me as I've only seen Zayne in GCW and it hasn't been exactly the smoothest, but he looked great tonight. Looks like he even added a bit to his gimmick as I don't recall an eyepatch last time I saw him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was and am still trying to gage this as well.  I think maybe it could be likened to the fruitful trading that used to take place in the territory system, or the 90s WWF Memphis relationship.  It'll be interesting to see this roster take shape.

It's interesting that they didn't announce any further dates (or did I miss such a thing?).  I hope they find there way to the root Northeast cities soon.  Maybe a Manhattan Center return.  A nice mid-sized venue in Philly - the old ECW Arena?  And here to Toronto.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of venues they work.  Geez, there are so many interesting questions going forth.  What an excellent start tho. 

Was Lord Regal not advertised?  Or were they announcing he'd simply be in attendance?  Perhaps they misspoke, but I thought I heard commentary say he'd be joining them for Yuta-Woods? I may have been daydreaming?  I was definitely daydreaming a Kings of Wrestling debut.  I saw them alongside a salty Chavo.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2